If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Mythri Gets a Facelift

Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere PurrRPGamer Staff
edited December 2002 in Latest Updates
While Mythri always had a nifty look to it, the new fleshing out that the introductory screen shows is greatly promising.

It's pretty obvious to me whoever is the artist behind this has a lot of talent and dedication. I, for one, am anxious to see more!

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2002
    I actually like the look of the older version better. Am I the only one? The newer version looks more like a cartoon I'd see on TV, while the older one looks more videogame-ish.
  • SephirothSephiroth Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2002
    Yeah, I'll agree with ya a bit. It's got a ways to go tho..so hold in there. I think Mythri really should have stayed on the GBC. As an 8-bit game it would have really shined..on the GBA it's just another RPG.

-Sephiroth
  • GendoGendo Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2002
    To wit, yes, it has lost some detail. Yer remarks are a little heady guys--give 'em a chance. Gotta be rough your first time doing this stuff.

-Gendo
  • TadrithTadrith Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Seventhwind @ Dec. 19 2002,15:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I actually like the look of the older version better. Am I the only one? The newer version looks more like a cartoon I'd see on TV, while the older one looks more videogame-ish.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It would seem to me that the developers are going for exactly that...

We're in an age where everybody is ogling anime cut scenes, and anime is certainly very popular... so why wouldn't the game manufacturers want to move towards a more animated movie sort of game, rather than reminding the player that it's all just a videogame?

If you look at the current 3D trend, it's all moving toward realism... in a sense, being able to perfectly emulate a cartoon is the definition of realism for games like this.
  • TommXKTommXK Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I'm going to have to agree with Tadrith on this one.

If it's an "anime themed RPG"...
    And the characters are designed in anime style...
    And they're called manga stills...

Well shoot, maybe Mythri should use digital actors...

Game carefully.
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    Digital actors, wth? Um, really, the boys up there are referencing the detail loss...again, where digital actors comes into this is sodomy to the thread, actually.

I second Sephboys sentiments there--I've been watching this game for awhile now, and the GBC version seemed worthy..but there is just a GLUT and I mean GLUT of SNES quality RPGs out there and if your not an experienced developer you'll have little hope to walk away with my dime.

Vex out.
    edited December 2002
    Who ever said Mythri was merely SNES quality?

Perhaps the guys up there could elaborate on exactly where this loss of detail occurred, because I just can't see it. ?If we're talking in anime terms, it's a comparison of the Escaflowne movie to the Lodoss War OAV, in my eyes. ?More gradual shading isn't a loss of detail.

Still, I suppose the line has been drawn in the sand. ?Too bad I'm standing on grass.

"Mortal Kombat: The RPG"...hey, it could work.
  • guifaguifa Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I'm going to have to agree with TommXK.

Take a close look at that GBC screen. ?Now, take a theoretical program that, we'll say, has a filter with a perfect ability to vectorize raster images. ?So we'll run this filter over the GBC image. ?Next, we'll richen the hues, and add in some shading, then, since it's vector, we'll scale up without losing quality.

In the current age of video games consoles, I think that we are so far advanced that we don't remember what "jaggies" are and yet aren't far enough along that the average console gamer knows what "B?ziers" are. ?The two images of Mythri released fit these two exactly. ?[1] ?Jaggies come from a lack of resolution, especially with relation to raster images. ?B?ziers allow perfect curves in 2D and 3D (I know that all the systems can handle these, but they don't do them well enough to use them efficiently in games), and can be zoomed in 1 000% without ever loosing quality. ?That GBC images has a lot of 2D jaggies. ?The GBA version has very smooth, elegant line edges, much higher quality.

<span style='font-size:6pt;line-height:100%'>[1] Also, you can compare vertex modeling without subdivision to NURBS modeling and/or vertex modeling with subdivision.</span>

edited December 2002
    Losses:
    -crescent moon is gone
    -moonshine on the grass is abscent (could be me)
    -the fence shadow is gone
    -the mountains just appear, overall, MUCH sharper and detailed

Gains:
    On the plus side though, the halo on Kageru's hair is a nice touch adding to the anime flavor

You know what I think. I think these guys, including me, are forgetting that this is a Manga Still and not an IN-GAME sceen shot.

Mortal Kombat RPG? ACK!
  • KeithXKKeithXK New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Hello folks.

Just to set some confusion straight.
    These "manga stills" ARE infact in-game images. It's the storytelling method of Mythri. Think Lunar, but instead of animation, you get a very nice still frame shot.
    That is not propoganda art.

And don't worry about the crescent moon. It was a concious change.

And neither image was done with beziers. If we'd used beziers on the GBC one, it would have been much more muddled, by the time it got rasterized. No, it had to be outlined pixel by pixel, colored, and then converted to GBC format, which was no small task, balancing all the palettes. God bless the GBA.
  • NeiXNeiX New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    You guys know that Lunar Legend has beat you to the punch on this right? ?Right? ?Cause I'm playing it now and that is exactly how it pans out. ?Instead of a cut scene, it's a still.

Not to say that you guys can't do it though. xmas.gif

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Somehow I don't think Lunar Legend is the first game to incorporate still screens into cut scenes.
    edited December 2002
    Ninja Gaiden has us beat by several years--and I'm pretty sure Golgo 13 beat them.

But if you want to get technical, we've been making Mythri for 4 years--so we beat Lunar Legend.
    edited December 2002
    Yo Tomm. You can't say you beat LL, dude. If your game was already out there perhaps. Face it, LL is on store shelves and in the hands of people around the world as I write this. Your game is just a hopeful idea currently.

How are you to know that your publisher might renege on your contract, or some other disaster before Dec 2003?

Lunar Legend has beaten Mythri.

"Booya! That was so 1999." xmas.gif
    edited December 2002
    Well that's the spirit. Good hopes and vibes all around, ne?

I don't think anyone should be concerned that Lunar 'beat' us to it. I mean, it's the logical way to do a portable Lunar, s'what people expect. And that's okay with me.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I'm still wondering why the existence of one RPG on the market automatically precludes another from being good.
  • guifaguifa Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KeithXK @ Dec. 22 2002,00:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And neither image was done with beziers. ?If we'd used beziers on the GBC one, it would have been much more muddled, by the time it got rasterized. ?No, it had to be outlined pixel by pixel, colored, and then converted to GBC format, which was no small task, balancing all the palettes. ?God bless the GBA.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I know you didn't actually use B?ziers, I was just attempting to make a point of comparison. You'll notice I also mentioned vertex modeling and NURBS modelling, which I'm pretty darned sure wasn't even touched in the production of Mythri (except perhaps a conceptual for the logo wink.gif )
    edited December 2002
    S'a bit more "hopeful" than any RPG you've got cooking, ne?

It's easy to talk when you're not on the platform. At any rate, Lunar: The Silver Star beat Lunar:SSS and Lunar Leged to this whole "Silver Star in peril because the Magic Emperor is kidnapping the Goddess" so I think we should all be pointing fingers at GameArts.

So in order to end this, the STUPIDEST of all message board debates (this whole "who beat who even though that wasn't even your point" nonsense) Mythri rox your socks. So put yer darn shoes back on.

Peace.
    edited December 2002
    I know you know we didn't do it that way, and was just offering comparison. I was just offering a iiity bity window into how we've done things wink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Dec. 22 2002,22:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm still wondering why the existence of one RPG on the market automatically precludes another from being good.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    On one hand, you're got a perfectly valid point. They're different games, so they don't really interact.

On the other hand, put that straw man away! Sure, they don't _automatically_ do anything. But there ARE at least two ways this can happen:

1) Both games are made by the same company, which allocates more of its limited resources to one title over another. This is more of a minor point, because when this happens it's usually not due to one specific game.

2) One game comes out that really raises the bar, and changes the standards by which RPGs are judged. Consider a fictitious world where the PS2 coexists with the NES, and imagine Square releasing FF1 on the NES, then FFX on the PS2, and then FF2 on the NES. FF2 will be graded down because FFX changed the standards and FF2 doesn't compare to FFX.
    edited December 2002
    Good points. I was looking at the situation in a slightly different light, though. The two games don't have a release date near each other, so they're not really in direct competition. Plus, Lunar (while being one of the few "true" RPGs on the GBA at this point) isn't a new game by any stretch of the imagination, which in itself will turn a lot of people off. Regardless if it has still anime cutscenes or not, that doesn't make the games direct competitors.

There will always be comparisons made between one game and another, but in this case, I don't think it's justified to argue which one has "beaten" which in any category.

And in a vain attempt to get the conversation back on target, I for one think the new still graphics look tons better than the old. I'll take smoothly drawn art to visible pixels any day. Now if only we could see some of the actual game, then I'd be happy. tounge.gif
  • NeiXNeiX New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I find it ironic that Tomm says:

"So in order to end this, the STUPIDEST of all message board debates"

when he was the one who started it by saying:

"But if you want to get technical, we've been making Mythri for 4 years--so we beat Lunar Legend."

I merely used a phrase, "beat you to the punch" which means to do something before you did (because they did, I'm playing it now)--muchly different. They're using it in the context of overall quality.

So in the end, all yer 'ne?'s' and quirky contractions can't get you outta this one guys. Leave Sephy alone because LL did "beat you to the punch" and you just don't want to admit it.

Peace. Love. Happiness. xmas.gif
    edited December 2002
    Hear, hear Nei. Hear hear.

Well said. xmas.gif

Peace. Love. Happiness. All that jazz.
    edited December 2002
    "These "manga stills" ARE infact in-game images. ?It's the storytelling method of Mythri. ?Think Lunar, but instead of animation, you get a very nice still frame shot."

I know this. By MANGA STILL I presupposed a non-gameplay element. ?This was an error on my part I see. ?What I meant by it was, that the manga stills will be less detailed than the IN-GAME counterparts. ?Although, LL's are I must admit much more detailed that your guys' are. ?They look almost like cels taken straight from the anime, which I'm sure is the case--extremely detailed those. ?

And BTW, yes, I think the "beaten" thing has gotten outta hand, but I agree with Seph that if a game is already released it has crossed the finish line first and therefore did the manga still thingy before you guys did. ?That's just the way it works..even if you've been developing Mythri for 300 years.

-Gen ?xmas.gif

edited December 2002
    I've always considered "in-game" screens to be the ones that contain gameplay. Not that "in-story" shots aren't useful or anything, but right now I'm more interested in knowing how the game will actually play.
    edited December 2002
    At what point did I "not want to admit it"? Nowhere did we say nothing like Manga Stills had ever existed. I readily admit Lunar uses them (though they pull them straight from the PSX, instead of making them new for the new version of the game--shame&#33wink.gif. In the post you're quoting, I point out that games have been using them for 15 years.

THUS the discussion being stupid, because "beating us to the punch" has absolutely no bearing on anyone's quality. I was disputing Seph's claim that I needed to "face it" and throw in the towel.

Y'all play nice.
  • CloudCloud Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Hi, im not going to enter this arguement, but i will say that i think the GBA pic looks better. Cant wait to see some gameplay pics. smile.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    Hey, I too think the new shot looks a lot better. Don't let these others get you down. I'm looking forward to playing it next year! laugh.gif
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    And now, to be totally irrelevant: meh.

That is all.
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    With the manga still, there's something about it that seems amateurish, but that's just one screenshot. When will we see screenshots of the regular graphics?