The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

World of Warcrack

Comments

• emhilradimemhilradim Member Full Members
    edited August 2006
    I used to play WoW, but it did the same thing that most MMOs did that got to bother me. It made playing seem more like working.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2006
    Work..? Well, depends what level and class you were. Especially at higher levels, your class job may make your role pretty cushy. As a priest, I'm not spending hours debating strategies...my role is to make people not die laugh.gif
    Now, FFXI...there's a job. But we have a whole other thread dedicated to that one too wink.gif
  • BalzacBalzac Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    I checked out The Burning Crusade using a sandbox and I just want to say that the area south of the Blood Elf starting zone is awesome! smile.gif
    It's completely decimated by the scourge and there's a long, dead scar running down the middle. Green glowing dead trees are scattered through the area and I even saw a ziggurat. There was one area called Deatholme that looked pretty cool. ghostface.gif
    edited September 2006
    I tried PVP for the first time last week. I hit corporal on both my 60 priest and my 29 druid. Definitely enjoying it.
    Sadly, as a healer either way I get ganked a lot, but at least I can take heart in the fact it takes 3 characters to kill me tounge.gif
    Definitely need to get into more AVs.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    I never saw the charm with PVP. It went from being fun with friends to hectic, pointless grinding in no time at all. It was too organized, almost set up so that people would earn their ranks faster... at least on my server.

I also found it the most repetitive aspect of the entire game, and easily the place where most "idiots" gathered at the same time. tounge.gif
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2006
    Solon - I gotta agree with you. The whole idea of PVP, much like any competitive gaming, seems to have been reduced to "look how big my e-penis is." As such, you get the 13-year-old kids beating their chest with their twink characters, making it more trouble than it's worth for anyone just looking for a good time. Part of why I left WoW, really. The game seems to center around PVP than most other games, and that portion was just never enjoyable to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • EddEdd Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    It's really not like that at all. ?It's a roleplay game, you've gotta let your mind forget you're dealing with some nerd and roll play it a little- ?me and a couple of guys were on our way to some instance, it was slowish progress when suddenly someone says 'weve gottta hurry - 4 horde on our back' ?so we all have to leg it past all the monsters to make it to the entrance to the instance in before they whoop our arses, but we've still got monsters hacking at us... well we did get killed by the horde, but we'd have done the same if roles had been reversed - since theres no real punishment for dying we just got a happening and a sense of living in a real world with concerns like 'oh crap, the horde are coming' - it's the whole point of playing an MMO; it doesnt dominate cos its primarily coop but you get little 'happenings' like that. ?THats the ROLEPLAY element coming out.

Then there are times when you save someone a lower level than you from horde attack and you really feel like a hero. ?Thats the only way you're ever gonna feel like a hero in an MMO; by helping out those in real trouble cos you're never gonna be best in the world. ?the pvp element really helps to add to the chance of encountering 'trouble' without overly punishing you for it

As for the PVP battles, well its important to give a sense that its the world of WARcraft; its the organisation that makes it so addictive, but voicechat with a few friends is a must...

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    My complaint was entirely restricted to the Battlegrounds and the mentality of it on my server. PVP out in the open is an entirely different thing.

And in my case, the "organisation" was what turned me off. I'm not sure we mean the same thing here though.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • RavonoxRavonox New Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    I used to play wow also. It was fun for awhile and I met "some" nice people within the game. The word "some" I use loosely of course. Like every society, be it real or digital/virtual it always comes with the good and bad but we all know this I hope. I used to Raid/PVP end game with a lots of characters on a handful of servers but in the end, it turned into so much of a job that it conflicted with my real job. Unlike alot of the people who play I chose real work where I get paid over paying to work but to everyone their own vices. I hope this doesnt come off too bias against it but I played for awhile so I payed for my right to be bias now hehe.
  • Oki_RPGOki_RPG Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    Hey ppl, i was kinda wondering, what do you think about WoW private servers? good idea? l33t h4x0rz?
    I have been playing a few of them and i think they're a good idea. Im actually in a high rate server, meaning max lvl 254 O.O. And of course a "blizzlike" one wich is lvl 60.
    I know that its not as big or as fun and addictive as the retail version (since even the "blizzlike" its like 5x the rate of the retail one) but wanted to know your opinion about them.

And btw, im back! Been through a lot this past months, college, both RO and WoW tounge2.gif and even got a girlfriend who plays those games ?grinning.gif ?Thank God for gamer girls ?laugh.gif
    edited October 2006
    Having tried three different ones because my friend begged me to play WoW with him, the answer is simple:
    "Gimp"

Private servers are really, really lame. Not just because someone's gone to the effort to steal the code/set everything up, but because half the build is outright busted; and that's even considering the fact that patches are weeks and sometimes months behind.. Or the exp rates are completely bastardized and it ruins the fun. Quests don't work, CLASSES don't work (My friend played a warlock whose pet ran off the world tree and never returned), DUNGEONS don't work (Molten Core in particular seems to be the bane of all private servers)....it's such a mixed bag of annoying and simplification that it's really, well, not worth it.

ROMs are slippery territory to discuss in this forum. Please treat lightly.
  • Oki_RPGOki_RPG Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    Well you're right, not everything works right, most of the dungeons don't work.
    But some of the people that host the game (which I will not mention them or the server they're on, i dont want to make this looks like a propaganda or anything like that) actually go through the work of trying to make some of the stuff to work and sometimes it does work.
    But one reason I see in those private servers is that they're for people who want to try the game, as bugged and laggy as it most of the times they are, get the chance to do so and have a little fun, you know, beating up a 10 million HP Onyxia by yourself is something to behold.
    Now i'm not in anyway telling everyone to join one, its just an option that's out there.
    edited December 2006
    So how bout them new talent trees.

I was very tempted to go Shadow, since I picked up my Bene/Anathema on Sunday. but I decided to go Discipline until expansion hits.
  • edited December 2006
    Hi!

I'm a retard spammer!

• HylanHylan Member Full Members
    edited December 2006
    LOL Paws I was about to ask someone to delete that crap.

To topic,

I finally gave up WoW last June. It was my older bro's 30th bday party on Sat. I was a raid leader in one of the larger horde guilds on Dragonblight. Anyway my brother was all "So, my party starts at 6. What time are you showing up?" I actually looked at him and said "I can't, I have an MC Raid till 9." I kinda did a double take. Was I going to pass up my RL bro's 30th bday for a game? I decided the answer was hell no. I left the game and never looked back.
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I did the same sort of double take a couple weeks ago; I had a holiday party and an MC raid at the same time. So I went to the raid for 2 bosses then left to go to the party. I was the first one to show up tounge2.gif
  • HylanHylan Member Full Members
    edited December 2006
    <div>
    (Paws @ Dec. 20 2006,11:42)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Yeah, I did the same sort of double take a couple weeks ago; I had a holiday party and an MC raid at the same time. ?So I went to the raid for 2 bosses then left to go to the party. ?I was the first one to show up ?tounge2.gif</div>
    lol smile.gif At least you admit your addiction tounge2.gif.
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited January 2007
    Well I have finally succumb to the addiction and now play WoW. I have a character named Nucleartroll a troll hunter on Lothar and a gozthetorn a tauren druid also on lothar.
    edited January 2007
    If you ever want to play Alliance, pop onto Draenor. I have a character of every class there varying from 13 to 60.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited January 2007
    Woah I'm also on Lothar, Alliance though. Been playing since the game came out and now can't wait for BC. My guild is still trying to clear Naxxramas, but it's so hard... :O
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited January 2007
    Soooo.......

Anyone else fall at the hands of Highlord Kruul last night?
  • PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited January 2007
    I did! After taking down Magmadar our guild whisked back to Ironforge for repairs, and while making our way back to the Core we ran into Kruul in Searing Gorge. One of our druids got a bit too close for comfort and was greeted with a gentle slap of the back of Kruul's hand for a measly 32,000 damage.

Hilarious, if nothing else.

So Burning Crusade is here. It should be interesting to observe the changes it will bring about to the core of WoW. A lot of things are going to be very different after it lands, I wager.

• GuttermouthGuttermouth Member Full Members
    edited January 2007
    Oh god, my repair bill was -terrible-! Kruul makes me sad...

But I'll be getting BC later today and boy, I'm already salivating. biggrin.gif Okay, not that intense.... but I can't wait. biggrin.gif
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited January 2007
    Weird I never found anyone that played on Lothar until *after* my guild transfers to Runetotem tounge2.gif Anywho BC is awesome. SO much fun to be questing and leveling again. So used to the whole AQ40/Naxx stuff that I forgot what it was like to explore new zones and do quests on my own. Now just need them to implement the netherdrake faction so I can geta netherdrake mount that isn't from the arena!
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited January 2007
    It is so easy to level up in BC. I got to 20 in 2 days (8 hours each day). Its also easier to get money. I got my first gold at like 13. I couldnt do that with my old alts til I got to lvl 30! (damn magic is expensive!)
  • GuttermouthGuttermouth Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    Oh man. I replaced all my epic gear with greens and blues from Outland.

the heck?rock.gif I mean it's cool and all, but while I was at 60, a few quests in Hellfire Peninsula later, and my stats have almost doubled.

I love Outland. biggrin.gif
    edited April 2007
    So, now that the flurry has died down, what did people think of the AF Jokes from Blizz this year?

My favourite was the Black Temple "attunement." It looked okay on the surface (It was obviously modeled after opening the AQ gate), but once you actually READ what it was asking for, it started to become amusing. I especially liked the requirement of beating every boss on Heroic Mode within 10 minutes.
  • avsavs Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I have a 70 paladin on malygos named Aegle, and a 70 rogue there named Uppercut... Any other Malygos players around?

• OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited November 2007
    Well did you see the last patch, come on, they remove all the fun of the old world... ?make it easier to climb from 20 to 60... like it was not fast enough! ?They remove a lot of elite mobs...
    they did some good thing, but in general I am not an happy camper with this patch... /shrug ?angry.gif

thanks for reading my rambling...

Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • StrainStrain Member Full Members
    edited December 2007
    I love the patch. The faster the new content gets to the players, the better, especially if Blizzard is expecting to have more people catch on to this game.