If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Enix Shuns Print Media

CastomelCastomel MemberFull Members
edited January 2003 in Latest Updates
Somebody let the cat out of the bag early on DW8, so Enix is lashing out against the print media in general. I don't really care one way or the other, but does the expense of holding a press conference really justify keeping things secret for another couple of days? That seems to me like keeping things under wraps just for the sake of having people not know about them.
Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!

Comments

• yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Hm...I wonder if it will last?

Maybe it wil be treated like a grounding. Then again, I don't know much about Enix Japan. What about the US branch? Does this affect them?
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I'm going to guess this applies strictly to the Japanese end of things for the time being, although I really couldn't say, to be honest. As for it lasting... Well, I guess that depends on how much fun Enix has hosting press conferences. From shots I've seen of other VG companies' events, they look like they're a good deal more entertaining than a boring old magazine story, so who knows, maybe Enix'll get hooked.
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2003
    I'm more concerned how this is going to affect (not surprisingly) online media outlets like us.
    Press conferences will get expensive, especially with the added cost of sending out media discs.

In the end, I fail to see why they're angry - isn't getting the news out to the fans, the ones that are going to be buying the game, the most important part? I've never subscribed to a video game magazine and I've probably bought less than 10. ALL my information is found online. And I'm certain I'm not the only one.
  • yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Just how do you get your information anyway?

I do know that you know about certain things before anyone else and are told not to use the information until a specified date. I think a good example would be when Gamepro orignially announced Final Fantasy Origins and Unlimited Saga, then suddenly the story disappeared. A few people I asked here and there said that it had been known for awhile and only decided to post the story when it appeared in EGM in print. THEN last week it was made official (the FF Origins thing anyway....No word on U. Saga yet) when everyone else already knew.

How often does this stuff happen? I think it would be great to hear some incidents in the past with news mix-ups. Are you guys willing to share? Maybe even do a feature and call it RPGamer Bloopers-Raw and Uncensored smile.gif
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Hey, the latest Chrono game, Chrono Break, has already been "announced" over the internet -- and I'll bet Square doesn't even know about it yet! Enix doesn't know how lucky they are! tounge.gif biggrin.gif
  • guifaguifa Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    For past incidents, Apple is the best trendsetter:

ATi accidently announced that their new chip would be used in the new PowerMacs. All of a sudden, Apple switched to nVidia chipsets for top of the line models. TIME Canada accidently posted about the new iMac the day before Steve Jobs was to announce it. BAD idea, Time lost any hope of getting a new interview for a long time.

While it does mean more for a computer system, because knowing about something significantly better that is coming out soon will hurt present sales, I don't see it hurting game companies as much. However, at the same time, there may have been a breech of contract with the pre-publish photos being distributed, so who knows. I'm not too familiar with the Japanese publishing market.

RPGamer has been known to make a few accidently postings on our front page, but you'll never know about them, mwahahaha!
  • TadrithTadrith Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I think, perhaps the old adage "There's no such thing as bad publicity." would apply here.

I'm not sure Enix is entirely that upset about an early release. Raising hell about it being released early is simply providing them with *even more* press coverage, and putting DQ8 in front of the consumer.
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm not sure Enix is entirely that upset about an early release. Raising hell about it being released early is simply providing them with *even more* press coverage, and putting DQ8 in front of the consumer.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I dunno... If I were Baron vonGamemaker, president of "Great Big RPG Empire," I'd be sort of ticked-off that my company couldn't keep something secret if I wanted it to. In theory, it'd be kind of embarrassing. Not as embarrassing as making a big fuss about it, but still.