If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Spoilers

Urban PhilosopherUrban Philosopher MemberFull Members
edited January 2003 in Site & Forum Support
Sorry if this is obvious or anything but how do you uncover any spoilered-out text, it's really bugging me not been able to read posts.

Comments

• ArdeaArdea Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    You hold down the left button of your mouse and highlight the text.

"<span class="spoiler">Yes, that confused me too at first. If I hadn't been idly highlighting the board with my mouse one day I might never have found out.</span>"
    Heron Heron Heron
  • IccyhIccyh Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Actually, highlighting doesn't work for everyone (like me&#33wink.gif. Not all of us use IE, I use Opera. If anyone has a better idea than copy/pasting, I'd be glad to hear it, thanks. smile.gif
    edited January 2003
    blah@emoticons.

Just as a side note, doesn't emoticons sound like really wussy Transformers?
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    You can just call them smilies, which not only doesn't sound like a Transformers reference at all, it's also slightly funnier.
  • Lina DarkstarLina Darkstar Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Iccyh, you can also hit "Quote" on the post you want to read, that shows it in code. A bit tedious, I know, but better than copy-pasting IMO.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Opera 7 beta 2 can highlight the text just fine. Only earlier versions have problems, probably something related to CSS interpretation.
    edited January 2003
    Yeah, I'm still using Opera 6. I'll get 7 when it's out of beta. I'm sort of surprised that they're charging for use of the beta (without ads, that is).

Just 'cause I'm feeling picky, "problems" wouldn't be the word I'd use myself, I'd just say that it interprets the code differently (than say IE). I like my Opera :)
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Iccyh @ Jan. 14 2003,20:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yeah, I'm still using Opera 6. I'll get 7 when it's out of beta. I'm sort of surprised that they're charging for use of the beta (without ads, that is).

Just 'cause I'm feeling picky, "problems" wouldn't be the word I'd use myself, I'd just say that it interprets the code differently (than say IE). I like my Opera :)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You can play with semantics all you want, but if it's interpreting that code incorrectly, I'm gonna consider that a problem. ;)
    edited January 2003
    Ooohhh, semantics are important though.

As far as I understand, CSS doesn't spell out *exactly* how it should be interpreted, and as such, you can discrepancies between two browsers on how things are displayed. Having something written for one browser that won't work for another isn't a mistake, error, or problem, it's just a difference in interpretation. This has been a long and annoying problem with browsers, and is usually blamed on poor adherance to the standards layed out by the W3C...

I'm just hesitant to call it a mistake that Opera doesn't display CSS exactly the same way IE does, as being standards compliant has been something Opera has been quite good at.

I swear, I'm usually not this easy to get going, hehe. :)
  • Lina DarkstarLina Darkstar Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I use IE, and I still have to hit the "Quote" button to see spoilers. Text shows up when I highlight it, yes, but the text is white against a light-blue highlighted background, making it very difficult to read.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Also, in Opera (6 works), you can click on the icon or use Control+G to toggle to a user stylesheet for a second to view the spoiler text. Don't know why I didn't remember that earlier.
    edited January 2003
    Aha, thanks. I rarely (almost never) use the user style sheets, it wouldn't have been something I'd thought of smile.gif