If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Gamespot review for Blue Dragon

MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything!Full Members
edited September 2007 in Role Playing Games
Virdicts are starting to roll in for Blue Dragon, and all I can say is OUCH.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The Good
It's fun to watch your dragons do battle Occasional minigames mix things up Class system lets you customize your characters in endless ways.

The Bad
Unfortunately, class system turns party members into a generic mishmash of spells and skills You won't care about the long, boring story or cookie-cutter characters Visuals are bland and rely too much on blurry depth-of-field tricks. </div>
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
-Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Comments

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Couldn't the same be said for almost any other RPG out there? confused.gif
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited August 2007
    No...

There are plenty of standout RPGs out there. I would have gotten Persona 3 were it not for my making the mistake of getting Metroid Prime 3, as P3 looks like one of those standouts.

On the 360, however, looks like we're going to have to wait for Eternal Sonata and Mass Effect to show us how RPGs are done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">First you have the class system, liberally borrowed from the similar mechanics of Final Fantasy V.</div>
    Almost as if... the guy who did this was the director on FFV!

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The battles themselves aren't anything special and don't do much with the usual turn-based formula...</div>
    Why does every new RPG have to add something new to the classic battle system? I hate seeing this argument for every RPG review I read.
    edited August 2007
    Zel - The problem is that there are tons of RPGs out there, so of course they're going to be critical of something that's exactly like everything else that has been or even is out on the market.

And he being the director of FFV isn't an excuse. He was able to make each FF a fresh and new experience right up until he was dismissed from his director's role.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (MasterChief @ Aug. 30 2007,14:07)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Zel - The problem is that there are tons of RPGs out there, so of course they're going to be critical of something that's exactly like everything else that has been or even is out on the market.

And he being the director of FFV isn't an excuse. He was able to make each FF a fresh and new experience right up until he was dismissed from his director's role.</div>
    I guess it's just because I have no problem with a plain ol' classic turn based battle system. Just more of an opinion thing, I suppose.

And I know that being the director wasn't an excuse for it, I just thought it was funny they mentioned it. tounge2.gif
    edited August 2007
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (MasterChief @ Aug. 30 2007,13:41)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">There are plenty of standout RPGs out there. ?I would have gotten Persona 3 were it not for my making the mistake of getting Metroid Prime 3, as P3 looks like one of those standouts.</div>
    Getting MP3 was a mistake? You mean you regret the purchase?
    edited August 2007
    Read the second line here. And that's all I'll say on this thread, let's keep it to Blue Dragon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I recently picked Blue Dragon up but my 360 is away getting fixed. Anyway, everyone down here is saying it's 'crap' so I came to see some hardened RPGers think. I'm looking forward to playing it. I've also been playing Metroid Prime 1 and Digital Devil Saga
    edited August 2007
    It seems that the general consensus is that it's simply too generic of an RPG for this point in time, and most of the mechanics have been recycled from earlier games. I suppose if you're a fan of old school JRPG's, and you're not particularly looking for something new and ground-breaking, this would be a fun game.

That's just what it looks like from here in no-360 land, though.

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (MasterChief @ Aug. 30 2007,11:41)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">No...

There are plenty of standout RPGs out there. I would have gotten Persona 3 were it not for my making the mistake of getting Metroid Prime 3, as P3 looks like one of those standouts.</div>
    I should've specified saying "any generic RPG"
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • BrittonBritton Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I got it today and I'm liking it a lot. Is it generic? Yeah. Fighting with shadows reminds me of how you fight in another PS2 RPG I won't name...

But... while the story isn't too unique, at least it flows really well. Instead of a big storyline, there seems to be a focus on big actions scenes to take you from one point to another. I like the ring you use to determine what enemies you fight and how you can turn them on eachother as well.

The game really has no faults other than people saying it's "too generic", which really means nothing if you're a fan of older RPG's. Also, I think most haters of it played the demo, which kind of drops you in the middle of things with not much character interaction going on. PLaying it right, from the beginning, makes the story flow much better, naturally. The graphics are amazing played through my HDTV, and I was surprised to see it's 3 discs long. I don't like how they stack all 3 discs right on top of eachother in the case though. They can scratch easily no matter how careful you are.

Blue Dragon and Overlord will be plenty enough to keep me busy until Eternal Sonata comes out.
  • HeeHoHeeHo Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I'm only 4 hours into it myself, however, I do find it to be quite enjoyable so far. Especially if you're into old-school RPG-fare. One complaint I thought I was going to have is that the first dungeon was ridiculously easy. I remember hearing rumors that BD was too easy, however, after the first dungeon, battles got a lot more interesting and I'm forced to use abilities other than "attack" and enemies are more of a threat.

Also, while I won't argue that the story so far looks to be cookie-cutter, the story sequences themselves have all been entertaining. It kind of took me by surprise because I was expecting the game to have an uber-cheesy story presentation.

Not trying to justify my purchase or say for sure that Blue Dragon is not a mediocre game, I've just genuinely had a positive experience with the game so far. There were some times when I severely doubted the game (like in that super-easy first dungeon I mentioned) but the game quickly turned around for me and I'm finding the combat, while traditional, to be rather refined.

edited September 2007
    The game seems to be a noble enough JRPG effort for the 360 (right up there with Enchanted Arms, another enjoyable game that is completely forgettable), but most of us here have PS2s (that was THE RPG system of the previous generation, no doubt), so one has to wonder if this game would have been as eagerly anticipated were it on the PS2. It just smacks of being way too conservative, and I personally expected more, considering the director.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The game seems to be a noble enough JRPG effort for the 360 (right up there with Enchanted Arms, another enjoyable game that is completely forgettable)</div>

Ho ho, I don't know about that! While Blue Dragon might not be getting the most favorable reviews, I wouldn't pair it with Enchanted Arms... at all.

I have yet to read or watch any video reviews due to me not wanting anything to get spoiled so maybe something akin to Grandia III happens where the game just takes a nosedive halfway-through.

I don't know, we'll see. I won't fully defend it until I've nearly completed it but so far, it's not looking bad at all. (Now has 6 hours logged)

Also of note, the game has it's fair share of good reviews as well. So mayhaps I'm not completely off-base when I say that it's a competent game so far. Maybe not for someone who is looking for something terribly innovative, but maybe a well-executed traditional game in it's own right.
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I'm 9 hours into this game and so far I'm enjoying it.

I bought Blue Dragon because I love rpg's and I was expecting it to be a solid rpg. I was never expecting Blue Dragon to do anything revolutionary.
    edited September 2007
    Just got the new issue of Game Informer. They rated Blue Dragon a 9/10. In the smae issue they rated Eternal Sonata a 8.5/10.
  • SorenLovesIkeSorenLovesIke Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    I just started playing Blue Dragon. It might not be as good as Persona 3 (that game is TRULY one of the stand-outs), but I think it's very enjoyable. It's certainly better than Heroes of Mana & Luminous Arc, both of which I tried to slug through before I tackled Blue Dragon. It's definitely old school... maybe that's what's putting off the reviewers? Maybe they don't have the attention span for turn-based in a world where action games dominate?
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited September 2007
    Man, I feel sorry for all the people suckered into buying this game.

There's really no excuse for how generic this game is. My brother bought it because he wanted to try it out and I played a little bit of it. So aside from the 2 hours I spent wasting my life on the demo. I wasted another hour trying to delve into the `story` with the painful battle system.

This review is still far far too high compared to how I'd rate it. 3.0... 3.5 tops. The absolute tops. I doubt I'd even agree with that.

edited September 2007
    <div>
    (Frozenbabylon @ Sep. 07 2007,02:38)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Man, I feel sorry for all the people suckered into buying this game.

There's really no excuse for how generic this game is. My brother bought it because he wanted to try it out and I played a little bit of it. So aside from the 2 hours I spent wasting my life on the demo. I wasted another hour trying to delve into the `story` with the painful battle system.

This review is still far far too high compared to how I'd rate it. 3.0... 3.5 tops. The absolute tops. I doubt I'd even agree with that.</div>
    You must hate those early RPG's that had almost no story at all.
    edited September 2007
    They were ok back then, When we didn't know any better. But now? It's inexcusable.

edited September 2007
    <div>
    (SorenLovesIke @ Sep. 06 2007,23:46)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I just started playing Blue Dragon. It might not be as good as Persona 3 (that game is TRULY one of the stand-outs), but I think it's very enjoyable. It's certainly better than Heroes of Mana & Luminous Arc, both of which I tried to slug through before I tackled Blue Dragon. It's definitely old school... maybe that's what's putting off the reviewers? Maybe they don't have the attention span for turn-based in a world where action games dominate?</div>
    That wouldn't explain the high scores for P3. Perhaps they want more of these and less Blue Dragons. I'm inclined to agree.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (MasterChief @ Sep. 07 2007,12:12)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">That wouldn't explain the high scores for P3. Perhaps they want more of these and less Blue Dragons. I'm inclined to agree.</div>
    QFT.
    edited September 2007
    Blue Dragon reminds me of Brave Story--extremely simplistic gameplay with an old school feel. So... why did one game get low scores (Blue Dragon) while the other game scored reasonably well? (Brave Story). I enjoyed Brave Story, and I'm currently playing Blue Dragon. So far, I wouldn't say Brave Story's approach to telling a story is any better/worse than Blue Dragon's.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (SorenLovesIke @ Sep. 07 2007,17:25)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Blue Dragon reminds me of Brave Story--extremely simplistic gameplay with an old school feel. So... why did one game get low scores (Blue Dragon) while the other game scored reasonably well? (Brave Story). I enjoyed Brave Story, and I'm currently playing Blue Dragon. So far, I wouldn't say Brave Story's approach to telling a story is any better/worse than Blue Dragon's.</div>
    I probably has to do with the stigma that handheld RPG games are expected to be more generic and simplistic, while consule RPGs are expected to have some form of inovation somewhere along the line. Now, of course, all the gap between the two mediums is rapidly filling in, and many handheld games coming out these days are starting to become equals to their consule bretheren. But, I still expect it to take sometime until reviewers judge the two platform styles equally.
    edited September 2007
    <div>
    (Clix @ Sep. 07 2007,16:04)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (SorenLovesIke @ Sep. 07 2007,17:25)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Blue Dragon reminds me of Brave Story--extremely simplistic gameplay with an old school feel. So... why did one game get low scores (Blue Dragon) while the other game scored reasonably well? (Brave Story). I enjoyed Brave Story, and I'm currently playing Blue Dragon. So far, I wouldn't say Brave Story's approach to telling a story is any better/worse than Blue Dragon's.</div>
    I probably has to do with the stigma that handheld RPG games are expected to be more generic and simplistic, while consule RPGs are expected to have some form of inovation somewhere along the line. Now, of course, all the gap between the two mediums is rapidly filling in, and many handheld games coming out these days are starting to become equals to their consule bretheren. But, I still expect it to take sometime until reviewers judge the two platform styles equally.</div>
    Or maybe it's because the PSP has been a rather desolate wasteland for RPGs, so anything even remotely good is welcome. DS's been the RPG powerhouse of late.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    I love the DS, but it's not really a RPG powerhouse. Not right now anyway. Sure, the FF remake was good, Magical Starsign was good and Lunar KNights was great, but there's not really many good RPG's out aside from those. Tons of strategy RPG's, but not pure RPG's.
    edited September 2007
    I'm about 20 hours in so far.

I still think it's an extremely polished traditional JRPG.

I wouldn't call the DS an RPG powerhouse either, aside from Etrian Odyssey, I haven't really thought any of the RPGs so far were really good. Granted, I haven't played FFIII yet.
    edited September 2007
    I think the Xbox360 was a desolate wasteland for rpgs. The only ones I can think of, aside from Blue Dragon, are Oblivion & Enchanted Arms--and neither of those really count because they aren't exclusive to the console. I was starving for something like Blue Dragon, so I guess that's why I can overlook its flaws.
  • lordyuanshulordyuanshu Member Full Members
    edited September 2007
    The PS2 is / was an RPG powerhouse