If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Poll - RPG Series Improvement

2»

Comments

• sephirothsdisciplesephirothsdisciple Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Hey everyone, I'm new to the boards and I have been reading all the great comments on rpg series. I happen to have 9/10 of all the original games and personally would like to see 2 continuations. One New school and one old school.

The first would have to be my all time favorite.....Final Fantasy VII. Let's get serious. This game has one of the greatest storylines in all of rpg history. Not to mention the character design and music for the game were outstanding to say the least. ?A sequel to this game would just about be the next best thing to the original if done right.

Another game I'd like to see continuized would have to be Secret of Mana. Another great rpg storyline not to mention the gameplay. ?I happen to have a multiplayer for my snes, so it makes the game 3x as fun. ?Also, if anyone has any comments or questions about any game, I am very knowledgable in all RPG's. Thanks!
  • AGiESAGiES Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But who decides that an opinion can be wrong?

Uh, the definition of the word itself. Did you read my post?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I believe that they did in fact read your post. And you read theirs wrong. The question wasn't what makes an opinion ABLE to be wrong but what MAKES an opinion wrong. In other words jumping up and flat out saying that some ones personal opinion is wrong makes you seem egotistical, self-centered, and holier than thou. Most of the time opinions are based at least partially in fact and are not wholly wrong.
  • CloudCloud Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Wow, someone end this thread, it is completely off-base, and looks like itll only get worse. Everybody, bite your bottom lip, suffer your own pride and just give up.

Note: This is just a suggestion. smile.gif

Also Note: Since im posting, i might as well give my opinion on the topic. I think that the Ogre Battle series could use a nice little boost. Maybe the graphical flare that we have come to love and appreciate from Square. That way, this series will appeal to more then just the more extreme gamers.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"isn't that kind of...childish?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes. Yes it is. And so is completely ignoring facts in favor of incorrectly held thoughts.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The question wasn't what makes an opinion ABLE to be wrong but what MAKES an opinion wrong.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

In this case, since he chooses to believe and hold the opinion of something that is not true, that makes his opinion an incorrect one.
  • guifaguifa Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (owa @ Dec. 10 2002,16:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Don't make me take Stucky(Matt) hostage and force you to pay a ransom for his safe return. ?Believe me, I can, I'm in his freakin' town for Christ sake. ?I know the boy in person(Matt, did you EVER beat Xenogears?).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You may know me in person, but you haven't seen me in person lately. ?Heck, I've seen your mom several dozen times since I've last seen you. ?Edit: Speaking of talking to your mom, you could ask her about the contrasts between publisher and developer. ?I talked to her about it breifly today when going over one of my pieces made to ammend some differences for a particular situation between a developer and a publisher :End Edit

Doubtful you would be able to take me hostage. ?Though, come to think of it, if you did, that would mean I wouldn't have to take finals tounge.gif

<span style='font-size:6pt;line-height:100%'>And yes, I did beat Xenogears, 'twas a good ending that was.</span>

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AGiES @ Dec. 10 2002,18:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I believe that they did in fact read your post. ?And you read theirs wrong. ?The question wasn't what makes an opinion ABLE to be wrong but what MAKES an opinion wrong.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Um, actually, he did ask what makes an opinion able to be wrong. Hence, "that an opinion can be wrong." Not my fault if he meant something else.
    edited December 2002
    Allow me to clarify how an opinion can be wrong with a seasonal analogy, akin to the argument:

Little Billy: Santa Claus is gonna bring me lotsa video games for Christmas!

THE TRUTH: Billy, Santa Claus doesn't exist.

Little Billy: Santa Claus is gonna bring me Final Fantasy 20!

THE TRUTH: Billy, Final Fantasy 20 doesn't exist.

Little Billy: Stop calling me stupid!
  • DarkZitanDarkZitan Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2002
    Lord Brian I was just kinda lookin at your signature...and um...if you think Enix...owner of the ever traditional "Dragon Warrior", is going to convince Square to change it's mainstream series way of doing battles...you would probably have better hope of...say...getting a sequel for FF1.
    edited December 2002
    And if you look at my sig a little closer, you'll also notice that I'm not the one that said that particular nugget of wisdom. I was making the same exact point as you, but not in so many words.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    About opinions:

You can have an opinion about something for which there is a factual "correct" answer. Example: It's my "opinion" that 1+1=2. In that kind of case, your opinion can be either right or wrong. In that case, it's right, and anyone that would dispute that would probably be a bit funny in the head.

The main type of opinion that cannot be right or wrong is the type that is about the quality of a particular piece of entertainment. For example: It is my opinion that Yasunori Mitsuda writes good music most of the time. It is my opinion that Chrono Cross and Quest 64 suck. These opinions cannot be right or wrong - they're based completely on how much entertainment I personally got from those things, and who could know that but me? The only time when this kind of opinion can be "faulty" is when they are concieved without suitably experiencing the piece of entertainment in question. Real life example: Whenever I tell one of my friends that I like something, he automatically assumes that it, in his words "sucks", until he's actually seen it - guilty until proven innocent. In this case, his opinion before he's seen it is meaningless.
  • PKFCPKFC Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Dragon Warrior will be super boosted by Square Enix in North America because we will get faster better translations and MORE ADVERTISING!!!!!! None of that one magazine ad for a Dragon Warrior game... Or no one knowing of Robot Alchemic Drive...

*waits for Dragon Warrior VIII by Christmas 2004 and Dragon Warrior VR by Spring 2006*
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Metacod @ Dec. 14 2002,15:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The main type of opinion that cannot be right or wrong is the type that is about the quality of a particular piece of entertainment. ?...?It is my opinion that Chrono Cross and Quest 64 suck.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I understand what you're trying to say, but that's semantically a bad example. By definition, to say something sucks is to make a statement about its objective value. It is exactly that sort of statement which is capable of being correct or incorrect.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Dec. 17 2002,02:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The main type of opinion that cannot be right or wrong is the type that is about the quality of a particular piece of entertainment. ?...?It is my opinion that Chrono Cross and Quest 64 suck.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I understand what you're trying to say, but that's semantically a bad example. ?By definition, to say something sucks is to make a statement about its objective value. ?It is exactly that sort of statement which is capable of being correct or incorrect.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think a better example would be something like "I didn't enjoy this particular game". By saying something is bad one is giving an opinion that can be taken objectively. I do think, though that quality, to a certain extent, is also subjective.

An example I can use for this observatio is from sports. I positively loathe American football. In my mind the sport has absolutely no redeeming entertainment value. I think it is barbaric and violent and spending even 5 minutes watching it is a waste of my time. My father, however loves the sport. He sees strategy, teamwork and dedication where all I see is chaos. When I think of football I see a terrible sport while my father (as well as millions of others) thinks the sport is great.

In this sense I agree with Metacod in the belief that some opinions can't be either right or wrong.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You can have an opinion about something for which there is a factual "correct" answer. ?Example: ?It's my "opinion" that 1+1=2.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In this example that Metacod provided, I see that as more of a guess than an opinion. When it comes to ideas that can be factually incorrect or otherwise; I view those as theories or guesses.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I would also like to cast my vote for the future installments of the Chrono series. ChronoTrigger did not exactly have the greatest story in the world and with the exception of Magus and Frog most of the characters just weren't interesting enough. It was only through innovative gameplay and Akiria Torriyama's gorgeus character designs ( that oozed character and personality ) that this game managed to be as good as it was. Although I have not played ChronoCross I have heard that the vast majority prefer Trigger to it and the most complained about aspect was the character design. The partnership between Square and Enix would allow most of the members of the dream team to reunite on future projects and the most obvious choice would be on a sequel to ChronoTrigger and ChronoCross.
    edited December 2002
    Judging by other Toriyama works, I'm amazed he came up with as many unique characters as he did for Chrono Trigger. Didn't think he had it in him.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I was just randomly thinking about the merger and was wondering what they will do about a logo. I would think that they might keep their old logos in use (as they are well known trademarks), but add a logo for the new company formed from the merger. I think that they should combine the "E" from both names, somewhat signifying the merger although I didn't originally think of it like that. So the end result would be SquarEnix as the name (in whatever backround and format they decide). It may just be me liking my own idea, but it doesn't seem all that bad.
  • Movies608Movies608 New Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    All I know is, these polls need to be changed more frequently....a week is plenty enough time to spend on one poll...if everyone is like me, visiting the site 4 times a day, I get sick of seeing the same poll for weeks on end. But I still love RPGAMER! biggrin.gif
  • OrsonFuryOrsonFury Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I believe I voted for the Chrono series last month. It would be amazing to see how they could improve the character development of characters. That way you wouldn't have to be disapointed in many characters that Cross had that didn't necessarly really contribute to the plot. Enix would come in and shine with it's character development. As well with Toriyama designing and Mitsuda composing a good result could be expected. So it should be interesting to see what the new Square Enix projects will be in the near future.
    "The man who sees an opportunity and does nothing is asleep with his eyes open" - Fremen wisdom, Dune: House Corrino, Pg. 472
  • DarshuDarshu Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Polls say Final Fantasy will benefit. Well I have something to say. Whoever placed the votes for Final Fantasy has some underlying mental problems. If there's one RPG series on the face of this earth that just needs to stop, that would be the one. Unfortunately, Square (and Enix) know what series rakes in the cash, and they know they have enough people groveling at their feet for an FFVII sequel that they can just keep putting out other FF games to keep them there.

As for Dragon Quest, who needs it to improve? They've made it 3D now, but I think it's safe to assume that certain aspects, such as the battle system, will remain unchanged. Good. Between FF and DQ, DQ's system may look older and dated but at least you have to somewhat plan out your attack strategy. tounge.gif

And that's where Akira Toriyama will stay, Dragon Quest. Hopefully he'll stay there, because I'll be damned if we need any more Dragon Ball. We have enough vomit inducing episodes as it is. Not the point though. Chrono is the point. I liked the character designs in Cross, as something a bit new and different. Personally I thought it was a better game in many respects, albeit almost entirely different from it's predecessor. A lot less shallow too in many respects, even with all the characters. That's not CT's fault though, storytelling has just improved.

Anyway, as for what they should improve? How about originality? We don't need any more bloody sequels, and if we get them they aren't going to be spectacularly different anyway. They'll be the same old rehashed things. Let's get some NEW games for a change.
  • Options
    edited January 2003
    I think that this poll is one of the less inpired polls that RPGamer has made. ?Its results are, in my oppinion, ludicrous. ?First of all, the dragonwarrior series is already so extradordinary that it can't be improved much. ?Final fantasy is pretty good too, and I don't think that the merger will significantly affect their plans. ?"Chrono" can not be considered a series, as it is only comprised of two games. ?Lunar isn't even made by square or enix, unless I am much mistaken. ?Because this poll cannot be accurately responded to, it has turned more into a sort of popularity contest in the form of what you're favorite game is.
  • Options
    edited January 2003
    Ugh...I don't know about you folks, but I really don't want to see a "Final Fantasized" version of Dragon Warrior. I hope the dev teams stay separate...
  • djgoku76djgoku76 Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    sad.gif Hhhmmm..... This is a question that I thought about along time..... Square/Squaresoft and Enix..... The ultimate dream for RPG'ers.....

Some of the improvements you can see.... Better graphics for the games..... Possible mixed storyline from some of the best series..... Final Fantasy.... Dragon Warrior..... Ogre Battle....

But I hope we do end up with too futuristic games..... I've noticed alot of the games in recent time are going too far into the future..... Mostly with the Final Fantasy series.... Just look at it's roots..... Final Fantasy 1 to 5 kept with the middle age style feel.... Then Final Fantasy 6 had robots and no magic..... Don't get me wrong.... It's a great game..... Final Fantasy 7...... Final Fantasy 8 went way too far..... Then Final Fantasy 9 went back to our old roots.....

Dragon Warrior and Ogre Battle have kept it really well.....

I hope we get more and more RPG's out of the merger..... But don't over do it guys!!!!
  • Red XIVRed XIV Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    The level of ignorance in that last post is amazing. FF6 was, aside from a few steampunk locales, had every bit as much of a "middle ages feel" as FF4 & FF5, and no magic? I don't know what game you were playing, but it clearly wasn't FF6. Last I checked, magic was quite central to the story (far moreso than in previous FFs, where it was just kinda there). Also, robots have been a part of Final Fantasy since the very first installment. Do you not recall fighting robots on your way to Tiamat, culminating (if you were unlucky) with the nuclear-armed Warmech? And the most advanced technology in any FF was in FF4; not even FF8's Ragnarok is on the same level as the Big Whale, which could fly from the Earth to the Moon in about 8 seconds (and somehow manage to not splatter your party into the forward bulkhead when coming to a stop).