If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

Comments

• Zephyr ElvirionZephyr Elvirion Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2005
    But what's the point in playing such a wonderful game as Morrowind so quckly? Unless you've played it thru 'properly' before I see no reason at all - except to boast you've done it. But then you ask the speed-freak 'What was the game about?' 'What was the game like?' I'll bet he cannot answer. Because he didn't really play it.

Anyway, playing Stella Deus after finishing Star Ocean: TTEOT. Trouble with SO is that I was playing the Final Boss between watching the final episode of LOST and when I beat the Boss I watched a few mintues of the 'I think, therefore I am' dialogue, then saw the credits roll and went back to LOST expecting to come back to a save game screen. But when I got back to it Fayte was being asked by Claire's father to marry her. What did I miss out on? I thought about beating the Boss again but I couldn't be bothered going thru all that purple smoke, lol. What'd I miss?

Had a look at Atelier Iris which arrived today but I have to admit I'm tired of 2D graphics and big-headed characters with huge eyes. There're so many games out there with 'Gee-Wizz' graphics yet RPGs are consistently turned out with second-rate 2D graphics in the hope that a good story will carry it. I'm a dedicated RPGer (99% of the games I play are RPGs) but I'm getting kinda tired of being handed this kind of cut-rate look. When you compare Ateleir Iris, Ys, Shining Tears to say God of War's graphics, GOW leaves them for dead. Do the game makers think that RPGers honestly like to stare at 2D for 40-60-80 hours? I know I don't particularly! I much prefer the Shin Megami Tensei, Star Ocean, Arc the Lad types with 'real' looking people and decent backgrounds. It's disappointing and frustrating to get a game to find that it's *sigh* 2D again. mad.gif
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    A) I promise you that anyone doing a speed run has likely played the game significantly longer than you have. It's something necessary to learn the ins and outs of it. To figure out how to go through some level and shave five minutes off the run time of it. You don't just pick up a game and do that. It takes significant effort to figure out what is the best way to buck the system.

B)GoW was... a tenish hour type game? You are neglecting that the biggest expense in game production tends to be content development. A game like Ys doesn't have to push nearly as many units to fund another one as a game like SO 3 does. It's very costly making those types of things, particularly making them on par with a game that doesn't have to fill nearly as much content because its primary gameplay mechanic is how many ways that you can rip apart an enemy.

C) Hi, I like to stare at 2D graphics with characters with big-heads and huge eyes for hours on end.

Dracos
    That guy who doesn't want 2d to be wiped off the map.
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Scyda Neen
    Take ring (all) from barrel outside
    Talk to Sellus Gravius "Morrowind", "duties" (gives you gold)
    Travel by siltstrider to Balmora

Balmora
    Go to Mage's Guild
    Speak to Ranis Athrys, "join the Mages Guild"
    Mage teleport to Caldera

Caldera
    Steal master's alchemy set from top of tower in Mages Guild
    Go to Ghorak Manor, steal Orcish armour from crate on top floor
    Sell Orcish Greaves & Cuirass to Creeper
    Go to Verick Gemain, Trader, Purchase Warhammer of Wounds, Amulet of Recall, and sell unwanted items
    Mage teleport to Sadrith Mora

Sadrith Mora
    Mages Guild, Purchase 10 Corkbulb, 10 Racer Plumes, 10 Trama Root from Tusamircil
    Go to Imperial Shrine
    Purchase 5 Chokeweed, 10 Saltrice from Scelian Plebo
    Purchase 130 Ash Yam, 65 Bloat, 5 Guar Hide, Divine Intervention Spell from Aunius Autrus
    Assign quick keys: Warhammer (1), Alchemy (2), Recall (3), Divine Intervention (4)
    Create and drink Fortify Intelligence in batches of 5
    Create Levitate potion
    Levitate to Apothecary, Purchase 7 Shalk Resin, 5 Kagouti Hide from Pierlette Rostorard
    Purchase 2 Vampire Dust, 60 Bloat from Anis Seloth, Alchemist
    Create and drink Fortify Intelligence in batches of 5 from Ash Yam & Bloat
    Create 2 Fortify Strength & Fortify Health from Ash Yam, Vampire Dust, Shalk Resin
    Create 5 Fortify Luck from Guar Hide, Corkbulb
    Create 5 Restore Health from Corkbulb, Saltrice
    Create 5 Fortify Speed & Restore Fatigue from Kagouti Hide, Shalk Resin, Saltrice, Chokeweed
    Divine Intervention, go to Mages Guild
    Mage teleport to Ald-ruhn

Ald-ruhn
    Purchase 3 Mark Scrolls from Tanar Llervi
    Assign quick keys: Scroll of Mark (2)

Levitate North-East to Vemynal, Mark outside, get Sunder, Recall
    Levitate South-East to Dagoth Ur, Mark outside
    Levitate South to Odrosal, get key from Dagoth Odros, get Keening, Recall

Dagoth Ur
    Run through facility, Mark Facility Cavern
    Kill Dagoth Ur, enter Akulakhan's Cavern
    Strike Heart with Sunder
    Destroy Heart with Keening, equip other weapon to avoid death
    Recall to Facility Cavern, speak to Azura [/QUOTE]
    Oh I see. 15 minutes without actually doing anything. I guess doing the main storyline quest (joining the Blades, etc) doesn't have any bearing on being able to get to and beat Dagoth Ur...
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Zephyr Elvirion @ Jul. 08 2005,17:32)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Had a look at Atelier Iris which arrived today but I have to admit I'm tired of 2D graphics and big-headed characters with huge eyes. There're so many games out there with 'Gee-Wizz' graphics yet RPGs are consistently turned out with second-rate 2D graphics in the hope that a good story will carry it. I'm a dedicated RPGer (99% of the games I play are RPGs) but I'm getting kinda tired of being handed this kind of cut-rate look. When you compare Ateleir Iris, Ys, Shining Tears to say God of War's graphics, GOW leaves them for dead. Do the game makers think that RPGers honestly like to stare at 2D for 40-60-80 hours? I know I don't particularly! I much prefer the Shin Megami Tensei, Star Ocean, Arc the Lad types with 'real' looking people and decent backgrounds. It's disappointing and frustrating to get a game to find that it's *sigh* 2D again. mad.gif[/QUOTE]
    I would have to disagree. I happen to think Atelier Iris' 2-D visuals are every bit as relatively impressive as the 3D graphics of God of War it. Just because a game is not pushing an obscene number of polygons does not mean the game looks bad. I am sick and tired of people calling the graphics of games like Atelier Iris and Tales of Rebirth dated. The work that went to their visuals was just as extensive and dedicated as the work put into God of War's visuals.

I would also like to mention that a great deal of upcoming RPG's coming out in the future are 3D.

Dragon Quest VIII
    Final Fantasy XII
    Kingdom Hearts II
    Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou
    Tales of Legendia
    Fable: The Lost Chapters
    Hero's Journey

All the above games are 3D RPG's. To claim that there is a shortage of 3D RPG's just a silly claim to make (let us not even mention the fallacy of thinking a 2D game is inferior to 3D by virtue of its 3D grapics). I would also like to note that while nice, impressive graphics do not a good game make.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited July 2005
    I was just voicing my own opinion here. And while I prefer to look at something with 'real' looking characters and nice backgrounds I know others don't - and that's fine.

I don't expect GOW graphics on every RPG, that's not what they're about after all. But I would've thought with the sheer numbers of games being released these days the game makers would be trying to interest newer people in the trying genre. I know several people who just will not play RPGs while the characters look like kid's puppets instead of looking at least half-way like real people. I'm prepared to fogive a lot in an RPG but so many these days seem to be resting on their tired old laurels instead of 'pushing the polygons'. Granted pushing polygons doesn't make the game better to play, but for me it sure makes it better to look at.
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Well, Zephyr, while I also enjoy the games with more realistic proportions, 2-D doesn't automatically make me avoid a game. Disgaea was pretty fun for awhile despite having disformed characters and 2-D. I have to confess that graphical style does add a lot to me in a game, though, and a graphical style I like (more realistic) will boost a game a few extra approval points!
  • Cecil_de_BaronCecil_de_Baron Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Speaking of Atelier Iris, today I learned that "<span class="spoiler">Lita is an artificial creation. ?I was expecting her to be like the daughter/grandaughter of Iris, not a creation of her. ?Good plot twist.</span>" ?Stopped playing before I went to Avicol(sp? Can't remember the town's name off the top of my head). ?Also got to Chapter 2 in Dark Cloud 2 today, then finished Besaid Island (Chapter 1) on FFX-2.

Not that I'm trying to get this back on topic or anything. . . cool.gif
    edited July 2005
    I agree 100% Gouden Draak. I don't 'avoid' the games that don't have 'realistic' looking people, I just prefer the one that do and I'll play them first.

I do, usually, come back to the anime-type and I find that they sometimes have a better story to tell. And that's ok too. But when I spend 10-12 hours a day playing a game I want to look at something I like, not something I'm merely 'putting up with.'
  • ShevekShevek New Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    I've been alternating between replaying Valkyrie Profile and Fallout. I tend to revisit those alot.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Great games and fun to play. ^_^ Running around like a happy dork in Harvest Moon Friends Of Mineral Town and playing Atlier Iris. ^_^
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    So many new people since last I was around... but what did I expect?

Anywho I'm not playing any RPG's right now... and that is exactly why I'm posting because I want to be and I'm not.

Needed some where to complain... I'm hungry too, give me food and an RPG!
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Sadi! *glomps*

You want to play Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Now go play, and enjoy =D
  • LeonLeon Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    I started playing Resident Evil 4 again tonight. It's going to be a breeze, as I have fully upgraded all of my weapons. The only decision I have to make is which instrument of death I should purchase next. The Infinite Launcher is definately the better weapon, but my Italian blood tells me to get the Chicago Typewriter and blast the zombies while cackling maniacally. It's really a tough call.
  • urinezombieurinezombie New Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    going for 100% completion on ffx-2. i beat it quite a while ago, but i wanted to get 100% and see the "perfect ending".

• Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Played some Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town at work last night.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Finally beat Buorn in Dragon Warrior 5 and continued playing some Ratchet&Clank 2.
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Desh @ Jul. 09 2005,18:56)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Sadi! *glomps*

You want to play Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Now go play, and enjoy =D[/QUOTE]
    I played, beat and loved that game. That was actually the last RPG I went through, and now I'm sad and without one!
    edited July 2005
    Made to the first of Fall in FoMT.

Mmm, Mary.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Just sat down and finished off dhaos while my computer was crashed for two hours today. Neat as always, even if I was overleveled.

Dracos
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Riviera and celebrating my inner dork running around on my Animal Crossing game woohoo! ^_^
  • DarionDarion Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Atelier Iris and Riviera have been getting a lot of love from me lately, but I just picked up Burnout 3 last night, so I've been putting a bunch of time into that.
  • BuddhaPecheBuddhaPeche New Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    I got Dawn of Souls for my GBA (Fire Red!) and am switching between Final Fantasy I and 2. In two though the girl doesn't get to level up in half as fast as the boys; that doesn't seem very fair at all! sad.gif
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Hmmm... I'm beginning to think that this Dark Cloud 2 is never going to let me go. Still charging at the last dungeon, though the detours to get the medals I've bypassed take up a lot of time. (Don't know why I'm bothering--all I can get now is Max's clown suit...) Well, back at it tonight...

I've noticed the seemingly odd leveling up disadvantage Maria appears to have in FFII, as well. Does anyone know the story about that? Or should I buy yet another guidebook? (My curiosity is piqued.)
    edited July 2005
    More FoMT. Up to Winter.

Fall is good for profit.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(RIPtoad @ Jul. 13 2005,05:26)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Or should I buy yet another guidebook? (My curiosity is piqued.)[/QUOTE]
    There are cheaper ways to find out that kind of stuff. It's called the Internet. :P
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
    edited July 2005
    Breath of Fire IV - Dreamland
  • PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Cool, Slayer. That's like my favorite part of that game. Really surreal and melancholic and poignant and stuff.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Currently working through X-men Legends for the cube, and wondering why the decided to Storm six time deadlier then everyone else.
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Solon @ Jul. 13 2005,06:59)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(RIPtoad @ Jul. 13 2005,05:26)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Or should I buy yet another guidebook? (My curiosity is piqued.)[/QUOTE]
    There are cheaper ways to find out that kind of stuff. It's called the Internet. :P[/QUOTE]
    Ah, but I can hardly Internet while I'm on the crapper, now can I? Cheaper, perhaps, but nowhere near as enjoyable. laugh.gif

Though I did hold out the slim hope that someone here might know the story. Ah, well...
  • JackalJackal Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones with my bestest friend Gamey!