If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

Comments

• Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    Mainly FF Tactics for the last couple days. Steeling myself for the Orbonne battles currently.

Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    <div>
    (Plug @ Jul. 07 2006,03:51)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Just got my castle in Suikoden II. ?You know it's kind of amazing this game survives as well as it does with its utterly horrible localization. ?I think there's at least one?if not more?grammatical errors in every single dialogue box. ?Plus the obscene overuse of exclamation points is kind of amusing. ?I guess that's just testament to how good it really is: even a botched translation job can't obscure the quality of the writing. ?In a lot of ways SII epitomizes everything that is good about RPGs. ?Just... really, shame about the translation.</div>
    Not to mention how characters sometimes say other characters' lines, and how some of the games best music was cut completely out of the US version, leaving naught but silence where it once was. If the game had survived the trip overseas better, it would be the best RPG ever made, hands down.

But you're right- a bad translation normally kills games for me, but Suikoden II is still one of my top 5 RPGs.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited July 2006
    I am just starting Chapter 3 of Dark Cloud 2. I like the randomness of the dungeons. You dont get a chance to memorize them and they add some reply value when you go back to get the different badges. The visuals are nice too. This game reminds me of Majora's Mask in that you help a lot of people complete certain task through the game. I kind of wish it was based on the day/night cycle like MM is. Upgrading your weapons is very cool. So far the story is vanilla, but promising. I keep thinking of Robin from the Teen Titans whenever Max starts talking.

Nice game so far.
  • VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    I fell off the Dark Cloud 2 bandwagon some time ago. It's so tempting to level grind with their weapons and loose track of the storyline. One day I'll pick it up again.

Big Brain Academy is the newest addition to my gaming wallet. I'm at B- right now.

Also, I have a weird craving for Crystal Chronicles recently, despite how unforgiveably bad that game is in most regards. I'm into year eight of my caravan, and I'm about as aimless as I was 20 hours of gameplay ago.
  • PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    Man, what a drag. Just like Ceric said. My game froze up when I was about to start the Humphrey and Futch side quest before meeting up with Miklotov at the Muse/Matilda border just before the Beast Rune massacre. That's never happened to me before. It was especially annoying because I hadn't freaking saved in hours, so I had to go all the way back to doing the whole Greenhill bit again. What a pain.
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    I'm having a game drought myself. I saw Arc the Lad: Twilight-something or other for sale for $13.00 Canadian today. Worth getting to play?
  • darkwiredarkwire New Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    Recently just finished Sword of Mana and KH1, and now I'm working on DQ7, La Pucelle Tactics and Xenosaga 1.

I'm liking XS1 so far, put in 15 hrs and about half way through.

DQ7 is kind of fun for the nostalgia factor but honestly, I cannot take more than 2-3hrs of that game in one sitting. I want to really like it though.

La Pucelle is just filler for laughs smile.gif

Oh forgot PC, I'm still working on being a nutty Malkavian in VTM:Bloodlines.

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    <div>
    (Gouden Draak @ Jul. 09 2006,22:17)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I'm having a game drought myself. I saw Arc the Lad: Twilight-something or other for sale for $13.00 Canadian today. Worth getting to play?</div>
    Twilight of the Spirits. And no, not really. It's mediocre at best... especially in comparsion with the previous installments (except III... III was horrible). Arc II is the crown jewel of the series, hands down.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    Chapter 12 of Phantom Brave.

I'm quite enjoying it, granted I'm avoiding getting into all of the super character building because I need to finish quite a few more games before Disgaea 2 hits.... since I will spend time building up super characters in that one.
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Well... I'm kind of in a drought now. I've got that feeling of emptiness you get when you've finished a masterpiece (that is, Doukutsu Monogatari, aka Cave Story). So I have:

-Carte Blanche beta version
    -Grim Fandango
    -Still Life
    -Heart of Darkness

started but not finished. And I don't feel like playing them...

And yes, none of those are RPG's! But then again, I started Secret of Mana a week ago and had to stop two days later. Why? It has aged. Terribly. Certainly NOT a game one can play for the first time after all these years. The gameplay and interface are just quirky.

Yesterday I started Dungeon Siege 2 which a friend lent me. Oh my god. I do not complain about the hack and slash -at least not for now-, but I do complain about the graphics. The foliage. It's a pain to look at that screen, and to move through it. The first one was much better. I think DS2 will be put aside quickly enough...

PS: Hello, I'm new here tounge.gif
  • Sword_of_SwordsSword_of_Swords Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    I have nothing to play now. Maybe I'll pick up Persona 2. I saw it at an EB that's just down the street from my house. Hmmmmm, but I have to walk...

-__-;
  • darkwiredarkwire New Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    Persona 2 : EP is great, if you actually saw it at a local EB ... GRAB IT! Better than trying to buy it at inflated prices off ebay.

I think Persona 2 : EP was easily hands down better than P1, I never really connected to that game, even though I did beat it.
    edited July 2006
    Eternal Punishment was reprinted not too long ago, and shoud be really easy to get a hold of at a decent price.
  • Slime_KingSlime_King Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    The RPG I'm playing most at the moment is Dragon warrior monsters for the GBC. If you haven't tried it out yet I urge you to do so as it is completely epic, addictive and just plain awesome. smile.gif

PS: I look forward to speaking with you all! wink.gif

• RokuRoku Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    I'm currently playing Circle of the Moon and Disgaea 2 (postgame stuff) Neither is taking up too much time out of my day, but I'm too busy to play more than that at the moment.
  • friscodudefriscodude New Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    Final Fantasy X is in my PS2 right now.

The first time I played this game, I must've been 11 or 12, and used a Gameshark and cheats to blow through the game. Unfortunately, using one of these cheats totally screwed me over in one of the final boss fights. So I didn't touch it again until recently.

I got all the way to the Calm Lands, then sorta got sick of it. Now I'm back in again and almost through Mt. Gagazet. I love those Wings of Discovery. Heh.
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Disgaea 2</div>

Mmmm how is it? I'm quite excited about this one so hopefully only good news...

And...please tell me healers can get XP from healing... oh please...
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Well at the mo im playing lucifers call and Suikoden tactics and am helping out doing come consept art on
    project Sylorn a new mmorpg. They are looking for people to give input and suggestions to the game
    so I thought where better to find experienced gamers??
    If your interested in getting new ideas into rpgs then feel free!
    Oh im not trying to poch people so soz in advance if it seems like that biggrin.gif

Oh has anyone played Shin matagu tensis(lucifers call bloke) new game and is it good??
    edited July 2006
    Digital Devil Saga. Normally I dislike M-rated RPGs and long, long dungeons, but I'm liking this so far.
    edited July 2006
    You dislike M-rated RPGs? How silly of me to think they're not all the same.
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Im still waiting For FF12 to get to the UK!!
    We get all the games last and thats if they even bother!! Its mad!! sad.gif

I wouldnt mind but we always seem to get all the others but RPGs rock.gif
    edited July 2006
    <div>
    (Solon @ Jul. 15 2006,00:09)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">You dislike M-rated RPGs? How silly of me to think they're not all the same.</div>
    Except for the M-rated content, that is. You know, the part that makes them M-rated RPGs in the first place?

I've been kinda steadily growing resensitized to more extreme content and have been backing off of M-rated games and R-rated movies in general, but something about M-rated content in RPGs has always thrown me off. Might just be that you don't see it very often. Just SMT, Parasite Eve, and the first Shadow Hearts that I can think of.
    edited July 2006
    <div>
    (Kainin @ Jul. 14 2006,08:40)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Im still waiting For FF12 to get to the UK!!
    We get all the games last and thats if they even bother!! Its mad!! :(</div>
    No worries man, it still has yet to land on this side of the puddle, too. :)

Currently I've sorta stalled on Suikoden II for a bit since I've been doing a lot of writing over the last few weeks. I also went and bought that Fifa World Cup 2006 game for Xbox, so I've been playing that with my friends a bit. It kind of drives me crazy, though. On the easiest difficulty I end up winning by like ten goals and I don't even need to try. One step up on that, though, and I can't even score at all. Kind of wish there was something of a middle-ground between "loser" mode and "slightly less of a loser" mode. ;)

I've also been toying with the idea of starting a new game of Romancing Saga ~ Minstrel Song. I only ever played it for a few hours before but I thought it was an extremely polished realization of everything the Saga series had the potential to be. From the little I did play it seemed to abandon a lot of the really cumbersome traps colloquial to the series. So who knows, I might do that.
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    Over the past few days I've been preoccupied with The Way, an RPG Maker 2K game separated into six episodes. I finally gave up midway (I think) into episode six, because I just couldn't take it anymore. Every single character, almost to the man, woman and child, is a screwed-up self-centered homicidal maniac or a power-hungry sex fiend or a horribly scarred-for-life sociopath or whatever. Simply put, they are the most detestable people ever featured in an RPG, and not in a compelling anti-hero kind of way, but in a craaaaaaaaaawling iiiiiiiiiiiiiiin my skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin kind of way; it was written, apparently, with the assumption that depression, angst and tragedy are synonymous with character depth and quality storytelling, and thus it was a good idea to put as much in as they can.

I am finding it difficult to imagine how they could have been more wrong.

Meanwhile, the actual concepts that interested me - the ideas for the world, the culture, the main character's search for his lost love - went utterly nowhere or were otherwise unexplained, and it all comes to a head right after a revelation of Fight Club/Tyler Durden proportions, only way, way more ridiculous. Then you go into a dream world and tool around for hours and hours, going to plays and dinner dates and working a broken spotlight on a dance routine and doing all sorts of inane stuff to do other inane stuff... it's like the worst parts of any given JRPG meet the worst parts of everything David Lynch has ever done.

It was so promising, but it went so horribly wrong that it sickens me to think I spent over ten hours playing the stupid thing, in the vain hope that it would somehow get better.

• friscodudefriscodude New Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    After about 5 attempts to Wings of Discovery the final boss of FFX to death before he murders me, I decided to just go level up and grab the Celestial Weapons of the characters I'll be using. Might try to pick up Triple Overdrive as well- that'd make the fight that much easier.
  • Datguy86Datguy86 Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    I just played a bit of Growlanser 2 and I half expect Wein and Max to start making out.

I find this highly ironic since the artist is best known for his female leads. I'm looking at you, Captain Tita.
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Ah good to hear that Im not the only one without FF12!
  • SuikojinSuikojin Danger Zone! Full Members
    edited July 2006
    I am currently fishing and trying to rasie some money in Final Fantasy XI. As far as console games go I am playing Suikoden V and will be done with it soon, thus, ending my Suikoden Summer.
    Doing the Chain Chomp Stomp at the GS Forums!
  • Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    Started another round of FFTactics. Really easy game to get into. Also bought a Dreamcast and a ton of games. Shenmue is first on my list, along with Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.
    edited July 2006
    So I caved and started a new game of Romancing Saga ~ Minstrel Song. I decided to play as Albert on the simple fact his card is the first one to pop up. And holy schnikes, this game is fun. It takes all the really enjoyable aspects of the Saga series and bends some of the more irritating facets to make this probably my favorite Saga title. It's the only Saga game I've been able to sit down and play all day long at any rate. I like pretty much everything about it. The battle system, the graphics, the music, the free-roaming quest system, the proficiencies and technical mastering systems, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

I can still totally understand how this isn't everyone's thing, but I'm hooked.