If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Shadow X and The Freak have done it again!

Shadow XShadow X MemberFull Members
edited February 2003 in Miscellaneous
Ok, Here's an idea!!! Freaky and I ?have decided that there are enough crappy games out there. ?We need an RPGamer meeting or something like that! To possibly develop some sort of story line and sell it to Square or Nintendo. Heck if we don't do that we can just have a freakin big party. Freaky suggested calling it "RPGamer Fest". ?We were thinking meeting in Seattle, WA. ?Suggestions and Comments are welcome.

Comments

• Bossy lil QuistyBossy lil Quisty Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    That would be so awesome! Strange, I just had a really creepy dream last night about a meeting like this...*shivers*

Seattle would be nice, it's close, but Portland would be better! ^^
  • SinSin Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Hows aboot Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, eh? It's not that cold... Seattle is like a 9-10 hour drive from where I live.
    But that would be an interesting idea. I'm game. It would be cool to actually meet everybody thats here.
    Walken1.jpg
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    You obviously must mean Portland Maine, as I can just take a free bus to get there in under an hour, right? Right?! confused.gif

tounge.gif
  • Shadow XShadow X Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    ewwwwwwwww i knew location was gonna be a problem biggrin.gif
    edited January 2003
    Well, figuring there are people from all over the world here, any location would be a problem. Just find the place the majority of people are somewhat near to. And actually, your first Idea is near perfect for me.
    Walken1.jpg
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited January 2003
    How about Chicago? ?It would be more convenient for those of us living in the East Coast of the US. ?Not to mention the fact that it would be something of a midway point for the country (though there might be a better one). ?If we're including our European members, New York City would also be a good choice. ?If the members living in far east Asia (China, Japan. Malaysia, etc.) are to be included, then Los Angeles would be a better choice. ?Don't forget our Canadian, Asian and European members( as well as any African, Indian, and Middle Eastern, South American members as well).

LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • FF_Freak_4_LifeFF_Freak_4_Life Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow X @ Jan. 30 2003,20:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"ewwwwwwwww i knew location was gonna be a problem ?biggrin.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And YOU wanted to meet in a central area of the world...
    sheesh...
    tounge.gif
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Just out of curiousity, how would such a momentous event be organized. ?Would all the planning be done here in the messageboards or would it be done via other methods? ?Shouldn't we also include the staff of RPGamer seeing as how the event would be called "RPGamer Fest". tounge.gif
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • The FireDragonThe FireDragon Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Why don't we all talk about it on AIM or MSN? I mean, almost everybody got AIM or MSN.
  • ArdeaArdea Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    It's bad enough having four people in the same MSN conversation, let alone the number you're talking about here.

What about us poor unfortunates who live on different continents? We'd be absent from this great extravaganza.
    Heron Heron Heron
    edited January 2003
    We can have the meeting in Brussels! I mean, if the dudes in European Union does that so can't we?
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It's bad enough having four people in the same MSN conversation, let alone the number you're talking about here.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    heh four is bad? ?we had 10 in a room last night. ? tounge.gif

as far as a good location.. isn't it obvious that buffalo would be the best place? ? biggrin.gif
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (generator @ Jan. 31 2003,12:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It's bad enough having four people in the same MSN conversation, let alone the number you're talking about here.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    heh four is bad? ?we had 10 in a room last night. ? tounge.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Heh, I remember that. That was crazy fun biggrin.gif I'd consider that proof enough that we could pull off a massive meeting like that. Also, I would think that AIM/MSN chats would be the best way to meet up, in my opinion.
  • AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    OK, people, time to bring you back down to Earth.

Newsflash: Video game developers, such as Square and Nintendo, do not purchase story ideas from fans. Period. They hire writers to create stories for the games they develop, or the bigwigs themselves write the story. Writing letters, gathering signatures for petitions, rounding up your friends in a major U.S. city for a meeting...none of this will get the attention of big time game developers. If you want to tell them that their latest storylines stink, say so with your credit card. Stop buying games from them, as money talks and often dictates the direction of their game development. Do yourself a favor and wake up to a cold splash of reality.

I'm going to speak for the staff and say that we are not interested in this project. RPGamer has a policy of not supporting petitions and letters and all that rot.

If you are truly serious about designing your own game, why not create one using a game designing program? There are plenty of free game makers out there (as well as not-so-free ones). I bet that among you there are plenty of talented programmers, artists, and musicians. You can all pool ideas for the story, characters, setting, and so forth. Someone with good grammar and writing abilities can piece those ideas together into a coherent story. Then, release the game on a site that supports amateur games. Personally, I think this board can put together something good, considering the diversity of the members.

While I know that this post will incite anger among you, I hope you will understand that I'm simply telling it like it is. You can take it or leave it.
    edited January 2003
    Well, I can't really speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure the main attraction in the original post was this:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Heck if we don't do that we can just have a freakin big party.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry for dreaming. I'll try not to next time.
  • oldnavy_2k2oldnavy_2k2 Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And YOU wanted to meet in a central area of the world...
    sheesh...
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

if we do that we'll all be in the middle of the atlantic ocean by africa....YATCH PARTY! tounge.gif tounge.gif ok...now back to reality...

i think the most PLAUSIBLE way to do this wold be reagonal east coast US could meet in either DC or VA or one of the CArolinas (somewhere in the midle) central can meet in Jefferson City, Missori or something, mountian can meet in dinver colorado or somewhere in the middle of that timezone aswell as the pasifica coast could meet in Sacramento California or somewhere... As for europe..Paris, Fance...i dont know..something like that or Normandy??....i dont know too much about reagons in the eastern hemmisphere but you get what i'm trying to say right?? then is could all have a satlillite uplink to all the others and such stuff....mmmm; but that is a lot of work.....
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    i'm gonna hafta agree with desh.. i have no intentions of developing or writing a game.. i thought it would be fun just to hang out. ? biggrin.gif ? being realistic, however, the likelihood of it is rather small, given geographical differences. ?
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also, I would think that AIM/MSN chats would be the best way to meet up, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    through the magic that i witnessed that was trillian, is it possible to combine MSN and AIM people into one chat?
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (generator @ Jan. 31 2003,14:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"through the magic that i witnessed that was trillian, is it possible to combine MSN and AIM people into one chat?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't believe you can in its current state. If such a thing were ever possible, then I would think everyone who used such a feature would have to be using Trillian anyway... and then, they would have access to both AIM and MSN. We would just have to choose which chat, and AIM seems to be better for chatting, I think.
  • LegatoLegato Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Or we could meet in Shelbyville IL. ?Huh? ?What do you mean you never heard of it? ?Oh hambugers!! ?I almost forgot I live in a small hicktown that nobody has ever heard of. ?Though the Shelbyville Lake is quite a tourist attracktion in the Summer. ?OH WELL NEVERMIND!! ?Carry-on planning.

• The Big BangThe Big Bang Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Hey shelbyville! I know where that is! I've been there!
  • StingrayStingray Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (oldnavy_2k2 @ Jan. 31 2003,11:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"i think the most PLAUSIBLE way to do this wold be reagonal east coast US could meet in either DC or VA or one of the CArolinas (somewhere in the midle) central can meet in Jefferson City, Missori or something, mountian can meet in dinver colorado or somewhere in the middle of that timezone aswell as the pasifica coast could meet in Sacramento California or somewhere... ?As for europe..Paris, Fance...i dont know..something like that or Normandy??....i dont know too much about reagons in the eastern hemmisphere but you get what i'm trying to say right?? ?then is could all have a satlillite uplink to all the others and such stuff....mmmm; but that is a lot of work.....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Um, there's really nothing in Jeff City other than the state capital. No offense to those who live there or near there (I'm currently in St. Louis).

I think KC is more central in the US. Another central location would be Omaha, NE (though I'm less familiar with that location, so I can't say what's there).

When I say "what's there," I mean meeting places, not necessarily attractions. I'm sure, both being large cities (by midwest standards), that they both have convention centers and such for large group meetings. Along the attractions line, I know a little about what KC has (KC Masterpiece, yummy), and nothing with Omaha.

Side note: ugh, as I write this, NASA has lost contact with the Shuttle Columbia. It is believed to have broken apart upon re-entry. This would be the first disaster during re-entry of any space vehicle in NASA's 42-year history. This does not look good. I can't continue....
    edited February 2003
    How about Des Moines, Iowa's capital city?
    edited February 2003
    I think the first Idea of Seattle would be good for the west, and It's close to Canada. As for in the east, lemme check my world map.... I'd say Cleveland, Ohio, is fairly cntralized. As for those in Europe, that is quite hard figuring the seperation by water. Somwhere in central UK would be good for the people living in the UK. And those in Asia, Africa, South America, very very very hard. Not really a central point for you all.
    The main point of this is to get together and meet in person, so AIM/MSN, wouldn't work too well. Thats pretty much what we do here.
    Walken1.jpg
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    WOW!!!! that would be a fun party! Though this will be very hard to plan and....oh...i dont think id be allowed to go....*sniff* i think ill cry now
  • SugarPixieKittySugarPixieKitty New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I was thinking (whitch dosen't happen very often) how about we just discuss this thru AIM (ect...) and e-mail. I mean have people work on the storyline and stuff. Then have more people edit is and change some things to their liking. Then we give all the planned out info to someone with a RPG making system. And I probably will either 1) live or 2) be kiled in a horrid way for saying this. I happen to know somebody that is REALLY good at RPG Maker 2000. (I know because I test his games) And this someone is *drum roll* ... Ya know...
    I'm gonna ask him to post up If he wants the job... (mainly because I don't want him to kill me) ^.^" (stupid me)
  • OrsonFuryOrsonFury Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ Jan. 30 2003,21:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"then Los Angeles would be a better choice. ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    LAX baby! Heh.. It would take me 2 hours to drive up from San Diego. Heck I could pick up Freaky on the way, haha. Seattle actually doesn't sound so bad. Chicago is decent for the London people though. I dunno depends how serious you guys really are. I might have to cop out because I have year round schooling at the Art Institute but if it's a major break I might be able to. Not this summer for me though, i'm going to Spain for two weeks then back to school. yay..
    "The man who sees an opportunity and does nothing is asleep with his eyes open" - Fremen wisdom, Dune: House Corrino, Pg. 472
    edited February 2003
    I just want the big party.
    I think the game thing was just an excuse.
    Now that I think of it, we should try making a game together, and just release it freeware or something. Something that would work on an emulator. Zsnes, or something.
    Walken1.jpg
  • Shadow XShadow X Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sin @ Feb. 04 2003,20:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think the game thing was just an excuse.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!
  • FF_Freak_4_LifeFF_Freak_4_Life Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow X @ Feb. 05 2003,05:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sin @ Feb. 04 2003,20:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think the game thing was just an excuse.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ding Ding Ding we have a winner![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    How'd ya guess!? wink.gif