If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Space Shuttle

AlienaAliena MemberFull Members
edited February 2003 in Miscellaneous
I'm sure ya'll have heard by now, the Space Shuttle Columbia (I believe) exploded over Dallas-Fort Worth. The weird thing is, I live there and I didn't hear a thing and I know people 200 miles away were shaken by it. I got a call from a random girl searching for a friend by my name (but not me) and that's how I found out about. It's such a tragedy. I didn't have time to really find out what happened cause I've been in rehearsal all morning.

Comments

• ArdeaArdea Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I only just found out about it, via a similar topic on another messageboard - of all places. I can give you the link to the BBC site about it though here.
    Terrible. Just terrible.
    Heron Heron Heron
  • RhinoRhino Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    The most haunting memory of my childhood was watching the Challenger explode on television. I just found out about the Columbia half an hour ago. I am again in a state of shock.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited February 2003
    Oh. My. Goodness.

I still remember the last one that exploded, that had the teacher abord. I feel real sorry for the astronauts' families.

May this never happen again. I didn't know about this until I looked at this thread. I've been busy on the comp all day and haven't turned on the TV.

93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited February 2003
    It saddens me that this happened. ?I hope that they find out the cause of the accident so they can make sure that nothing like this happens again.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • SinSin Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Whoa! I suppose the news was right when it said that "millions of people will be heart-broke because of this tragedy".
    They're going to be talking about this for weeks to come.
    I've seen bigger tragedies with dozens of children dieing, and they only got a 5 minute blurb every 2nd day. This isn't that big of a deal. Not to sound mean or anything, but far worse things have happened.
    Walken1.jpg
  • Jibrille Tenshi-samaJibrille Tenshi-sama Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I found out from my neighbor about the space shuttle. I am very sad and upset that this has happened. I can't even believe it. I did cry for the astronauts. sad.gif What a horrible thing to happen. And their poor families... ?
    *Shakes head* I don't really have much more to say. If I think about it, I get sad.
    ?Sin, I don't believe you...to say, "This isn't that big of a deal", you do sound mean. I mean, c'mon, a space shuttle exploded and killed the poor astronauts, and you don't thing it's a "big deal". It indeed is a tragedy.
    ?I hope there will never be something this awful ever happening again.

• Yo-Yo KirbyYo-Yo Kirby Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I just saw this on the news this morning. I'm pretty sad that this happened. I wonder though, what could of been the cause of this? Technical difficulties with the shuttle, or a mistake that the astronauts had made? sad.gif
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" Sin, I don't believe you...to say, "This isn't that big of a deal", you do sound mean. I mean, c'mon, a space shuttle exploded and killed the poor astronauts, and you don't thing it's a "big deal". It indeed is a tragedy.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I agree that it is a bad thing, but it's just that the news is VERY selective on what it considers a "tragedy". Millions of people die every day from cancer and AIDS, and do you see them even mentioning it on one of those little scroll-bys? No.
    But then nothing much seems to phase me these days. Lots of thing have happened to me, so I'm kinda hardened to the real world. These things are just things that happen in life. Everybody dies. You have to learn to grieve, deal with it in your own way, then move on with your life.
    Walken1.jpg
  • oldnavy_2k2oldnavy_2k2 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    What a damn shame, we lost 7 good astronauts there, my cousin Dustin lives in Fort Worth too so he probably saw it all first had if he was awake at the time . . . .a tradgety through and through . . .
  • Options
    edited February 2003
    Opinions are opinions everyone, so please don't ostracize Sin, or me for that matter cause I am with Sin on this issue to a degree.

Though it is VERY saddening that this happened (I read the news story on CNN today and my heart sank) there are far worse tragedies happening in the world nowadays that this needs to be moved on from as soon as humanly possible (barring of course the astronauts families, I really do feel for them).

The thing that a lot of people don't take into consideration is the fact that these astronauts KNOW the risks involved in their job. These are VERY brave men and women, and their job IMO is along the lines of someone who joins the military. They enter service for their country instead of picking up a gun they do research and experiments to help evolve our technology. I respect these people like I respect a fallen soldier fighting a war in the middle east. Tragedies like this, though rare, DO happen with the space exploration program. This will not be the last.

Again, my heart goes out to the friends and family of the astronauts.
  • ErunameEruname New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    It is a big deal to someone like me who actually saw this happen. It's not exactly a pleasant experience when you know you are seeing people die at that moment. ?I know worse things happen, but I don't think those other events lessen this one at all.

I live in Arlington, TX which is directly in between Dallas and Ft. Worth. ?I got up to watch the shuttle re-enter because its always a cool thing to see. ?Though when I saw it grow a lot brighter and start giving off more smoke, then split off into pieces, I was upset because I knew that wasn't supposed to happen (from previous viewings). I didn't hear the sonic boom others heard because I was too far away from where it occurred.

This isn't something you see everyday. ?That's why its a big deal right now. ?And unfortunately yes, this will happen again. ?The world isn't a perfect place.

edited February 2003
    I'm glad someone else sees my point.
    Things like this happen in our world, and will happen again. All you can do is continue with your life. Moaning about it for weeks on end will not bring those people back, nor make the families whole again.
    I think the news will only make the people's families feel worse by rubbing salt in a fresh wound, for the sake of ratings. These people are trying to grieve, and within a couple days, CNN will want interviews.
    Walken1.jpg
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sin @ Feb. 01 2003,19:16)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm glad someone else sees my point.
    Things like this happen in our world, and will happen again. All you can do is continue with your life. Moaning about it for weeks on end will not bring those people back, nor make the families whole again.
    I think the news will only make the people's families feel worse by rubbing salt in a fresh wound, for the sake of ratings. These people are trying to grieve, and within a couple days, CNN will want interviews.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I never quite saw their desire to interview the people in quite that light. ?When looked at from your perspective, Sin, their inevitable requests for interviews sounds downright predatory.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • LulusLittleSisterLulusLittleSister Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jibrille Tenshi-sama @ Feb. 01 2003,15:14)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I found out from my neighbor about the space shuttle. I am very sad and upset that this has happened. I can't even believe it. I did cry for the astronauts. sad.gif What a horrible thing to happen. And their poor families... ?
    *Shakes head* I don't really have much more to say. If I think about it, I get sad.
    ?Sin, I don't believe you...to say, "This isn't that big of a deal", you do sound mean. I mean, c'mon, a space shuttle exploded and killed the poor astronauts, and you don't thing it's a "big deal". It indeed is a tragedy.
    ?I hope there will never be something this awful ever happening again.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sin, I agree completely. I'm saddened on the basic human level, and on a scientific one. However, there are far worse things in this world than 7 people dying (Goddess and God Rest Them).

Additionally, I dont see this to be a 'tragedy'. That word is WAY overused nowadays. Its an accident. I dont see anyone calling a car crash a tragedy... and if I did, I'd prolly smack them.
  • OnizukaOnizuka Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I'd like to think that even the loss of one life is a "big deal," what if it was a family member of yours' on that shuttle. How would you like to hear? "oh that's not so bad." Yes, bigger, worse tragedies have but that doesn't make up for the fact that tonight children will go to bed, knowing they will never see mommy or daddy again.
  • LulusLittleSisterLulusLittleSister Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Give me a break, okay? People die EVERY DAY! Everynight some kid goes to bed without a mom or dad that died that day... and ya know what else? Sometimes the parents go to sleep without their kids because THEY died!! I've been through death in the family, and YES it is sad, however, I didnt have a country morning my family's deaths. I see this as no different. So back the f off.
  • OnizukaOnizuka Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Hey I think mostly every one has had to deal with death in the family, God knows I've had my fair share, yes everyday People loose somebody they love. I'm not saying these astronauts were somehow better than all of them, But I feel there should be some sort of compassion, seeing as though you have gone through the same. Compassion, not crying on the floor wrenching ok, I doubt this event truly affected anyone outside of astronauts' direct circle of loved ones. But every one is entitled to feel the way they want, I am not telling anybody how they should react.
  • KyomadoKyomado Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I have to agree with Sin. Even though I don't like to be a conspirator ("Microsoft is evil because they make money!" kind of person), I can't help but think that they are worse than we are as far as "not caring". I don't remember them mentioning this shuttle even going into orbit, or that the insulation messed up and my of the wings of the shuttle was damaged, but when it explodes, oh gee golly it's such a tragedy. It's exactly like Apollo 13 to those who've seen it. I also really enjoy the fact the little facts that come along the ticker, "6 americans, 1 isreali die", and "US officials say terrorist act NOT LIKELY". For the first, does it really matter where they're from? They just died! They are humans that died, but noooo, it matters where they were born. And for the latter, if we start thinking that a space shuttle exploding is an act of terrorism, then perhaps Al Queda got JUST what it wanted.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'd like to think that even the loss of one life is a "big deal," what if it was a family member of yours' on that shuttle. How would you like to hear? "oh that's not so bad." Yes, bigger, worse tragedies have but that doesn't make up for the fact that tonight children will go to bed, knowing they will never see mommy or daddy again.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

"The loss of one life is tragedy but lifes of a million is a statistic" -Joseph Stalin. The quote may not be right but you get the point. If the loss of these lives was such a tragedy, I wouldn't be watching my parents changing the channel on the TV saying "It's on every channel!!!". You can have your opinions, but knowing the children go to sleep without a parent doesn't urk me at all. No, I'm not the anti-christ, I just know that right as you're reading this many people are dying for various reasons. Age, Crime, Disease, Accidents. People dying on a space shuttle is just more people dead. It's a part of life, and it's why we mourn the deaths of celebrities and we laugh at someone dying in a strange pose. It happens. Get used to it.
  • shadow024shadow024 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    yeah it was bad im watchin the news about it
    i was campin while it happened i heard on the radio on the way home
    this sux bad sad.gif sad.gif I saw peices of it on the news in the ground...................
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    While I'm sure things like this are very sad for the family and friends of the astronauts, NASA employees, etc., I simply am not saddened by it. Heck, I hardly even cared when the World Trade Center was destroyed. No matter how much I hear about these things on the news, unless they actually do something to MY life, I am not really affected mentally or emotionally by them. I'm not being "cold-hearted" or anything, I am just admitting the truth - things like this just don't affect me.
  • The GeneralThe General Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    i suppose if everyone mourned the loss of even a single life, we'd all be better off. i'll confess that i don't mourn the loss of the astronauts, and it is because i did not know them. there is no familiarity with the person. but it shouldn't be that way. there should not be a need to know the person to mourn them, afterall they were probably loved by someone out there who is more or less physically and mentally destroyed at this moment.
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"While I'm sure things like this are very sad for the family and friends of the astronauts, NASA employees, etc., I simply am not saddened by it. Heck, I hardly even cared when the World Trade Center was destroyed. No matter how much I hear about these things on the news, unless they actually do something to MY life, I am not really affected mentally or emotionally by them. I'm not being "cold-hearted" or anything, I am just admitting the truth - things like this just don't affect me.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" And for the latter, if we start thinking that a space shuttle exploding is an act of terrorism, then perhaps Al Queda got JUST what it wanted.

They won as soon as Airliner stocks started to fall, and flights were cancelled, and security was stepped up. That is where the word 'terrorism' comes from, 'terror'. They made people scared, and got what they wanted.
    Walken1.jpg
    edited February 2003
    I told you all. As of 11PM, western time, the news interviewed the friends of the people killed. As well as showed some footage of the last time the crew was seen alive, talking about their mission, or something.
    Damn news.
    Johnny Newsguy:"Your friend was just killed in a horrible accident, how do you feel?"
    Friend:'Well, Johnny Newsman...my friend just died, how do you think I'd feel?!?!? Now F*** off you ******* **** *******!!!!!!!'
    There we go. Got that off my chest.
    Walken1.jpg
  • AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I don't like it when the news stations sensationalize something like this either. ?And while there are circumstances where people die every day, I agree with Onizuka and The General when they said that even the loss of one life is sad. ?You never like to hear about these kinds of things, whether they affect 2 or 2,000 people.

What I do think is tragic about the accident or whatever you want to call it is that these people were only 16 minutes from home. ?Yes, they knew the risks, but they were so close! ?16 minutes! ?That and the fact that it's almost 17 years ago to the date (Jan 28) that the Challenger exploded. ?I know many of you were babies or not born, but I remember this very vividle.

I did mourn them and I said a prayer for their families. No, I didn't know any of them, but I do know what it feels like to lose someone you love.

• Lina DarkstarLina Darkstar Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    An article from the Guardian Unlimited Observer:

Nasa Chiefs 'Repeatedly Ignored' Safety Warnings

This makes me unhappy. mad.gif
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited February 2003
    It's sad what happened. Seven lives lost in an instant. Yes, there are people that die every day in worse ways, and I am saddend by those losses too. In this case, thousands, if not millions, watched in real time as the Columbia disintergrated in the mesosphere. Then there is the fact that the astronauts were in the news before, durring, and after their launch. It is sad also that the news kept saying '6 Americans and 1 Israli.' To me, 7 astronauts died. Not American, not Israli, but human beings who followed their dreams into the sky. They should be honored the same way, as people with courage and curiosity. People who followed the pursuits of enlightenment into the heavens. May we all have the courage to follow our dreams, even staring in the face of danger.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"That and the fact that it's almost 17 years ago to the date (Jan 28) that the Challenger exploded. I know many of you were babies or not born, but I remember this very vividle.

I watched the Challenger disater at the age of 3. I had nightmares for days and have been afraid of flying since.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • StingrayStingray Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I won't be afraid to voice my opinion either, so here goes...

I'm not convinced by the "people die everyday" argument. Nor is the "it doesn't affect MY life" argument convincing.

Loss of life is tragic, period. Columbia breaking apart, the WTC, the OK City Federal Building, Challenger '86, Concentration Camps, Hindenburg, Titanic, etc., are all tragedies in the sense that it is a disastrous event as the world would understand tragedy. Why? Because these are world and/or national events. Grandma Jones dying in a hospital bed of cancer is not. Jim Smith, 20, dying in a car accident with a drunk driver is not. If the president of France were to die in a car accident, it would be. This is history; it is a negative event that will shape (and has shaped) the world we live in.

Yes, people die every day. I know it sounds like I'm lessening the impact of their deaths...I am, but it's not me doing it (it's a tough paradox to explain).

This does affect MY life...all OUR lives. Hell, if it didn't, we wouldn't be reacting to it in a thread such as this or flipping the channels trying to find something other than this to watch.

What I do agree with is that we need to move on. I agree that the media in general is a bunch of idiots: FOXNEWS - "We know that you must be feeling horrible and sad about this, but, tell us, how do you feel?" I agree that talking to the families this soon (or even ever) if it is against their wishes (if they were sitting and answering questions, I would believe it was with consent) is poor sport (related to idiots in the media).

I just had to say this...
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I know y'all are dealing with this in whichever way you wish to, but my life is far too busy right now to even think about astronauts dying. The effect for me isn't the loss of life (far WORSE has happened in the anals of human history) but political consequences. I hear Bush wants to increase NASA's funding for the first time in a decade, but all I have to say to this is "too little, too late." But then again...that's kinda what happened with 9/11 (whole other can of worms...better shutup...).
  • ErunameEruname New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Sin: ?I totally agree with you about the media thing. ?Since I live in Texas, the local media was able to get in contact with people who knew some of the astronauts...I'm talking within hours. ?Also one of the women astronauts got her masters from UT Arlington (my city's university) and all the local news stations had set up camp there to try to find people that knew her.

What I also think is sick is all the people flocking to goggle at the shuttle debris. A piece fell down in the downtown street of Nachadoches. ?I keep seeing pictures of hundreds of people crowded around this charred piece of metal, snapping pictures and video taping. ?All the people getting interviewed keep saying "We're a big supporter of the space program and we just wanted to come down and see a part of history and be part of it." ?I think they could support the space program in other ways. ?

Some of you have mentioned that normally only events that directly effect you seem to bother you. ?This didn't directly effect me but I did witness this event and that's probably why it bothers and saddens me more than others. ?That's just me.

• RhinoRhino Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    The reason why this has the media's attention is because we are more shocked than greifstricken.