If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What do you think of LOZ's new look?

Yo-Yo KirbyYo-Yo Kirby MemberFull Members
edited March 2003 in Role Playing Games
Well, only a little while before the new Legend of Zelda is within our grasp. What do you think of it's new, cartoony look?
(If this topic has been done before, I looked everywhere, but I couldn't find it.) Alrighty then, post away!

Comments

• met7met7 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I know a lot of people didn't like it when it came out because of the radical change from the N64 version, but i'm not sure what the majority think of it now.

I think that the graphics look pretty good, but that really won't make me want to play the game. Every Zelda game is fun to play and that's why it will be cool.

Are cel-shaded graphics really a fad? I think they give the games a sharper look and even though its doesn't seem like it, they are relitivley unique. It's a step in a new direction, that's all. If it doesn't work, the next Zelda will change. Even if it does work, the next Zelda will probably change anyway because that's what makes a good series versatility. Imagine if FF had not change anything since FF1. there would be not materia hunting in FF7 or card mini games of FF8 and 9 or the sphere grid of FFX.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I like em. Zelda's always been essentially a cartoon, even the N64 version would've looked like that if it could've pulled it off right. Realism was never the angle zelda's went for. Technically, it's impressive, I still don't have a clue how they get it to look so much like a hand drawn animation. Visually, it's a feast, probably 100 times more impressive in full motion on your own screen then any screencap too. If only I liked the 3-d zelda gameplay, I might actually be interested in the game.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I absolutely adore Wind Waker's style. I encourage everyone who hasn't already done so to go play the demo unit in your local games store. I can't wait to play the full game, with its enormous, ocean-covered overworld and (of course) its incredible dungeons. March 24 just seems so far away. This is the first game I've ever considered importing from Japan.

That said, I do hope Nintendo continues to try new things in future Zelda games. After Wind Waker, a somewhat more realistic style could make for a refreshing change of pace. Or perhaps Nintendo will surprise me with some other new and unique style. In any case, I'd hate to see my all-time favorite game series stagnate.
  • OmegaOmega Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Well I actually had the pivelage to play the new Zelda at Best Buy the other day and I must say that I am a huge fan of LOZ, espeically LOZ TOoT. But having played WW. It is awesome!! I hated the idea on magazine but playing it was amazing!! all the graphics all the detail tottally rocks!! its the weirdest thing ever. I implore you!! If you get the chance or if any electronics stores you know have the demo play it!! its so radically new and different and tripped out that its actually good. laugh.gif
  • AragornAragorn Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I've been iffy on the subject. I don't really like cel-shading as a rule, but I think Wind Waker is still going to be a great game regardless. If the gameplay is fun and the visuals set the mood well, then it's all good.
  • Shadow XShadow X Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I've pre ordered it and I can't wait to play it. The graphics are a little odd compared to the other Zelda games, but I think it will go over well. I was disapointed when the 64 came out and they were showing Link with graphics like Mario in Mario 64. He was a polygon figure. Then a year and a half later when they release it, I was upset that he wasn't a cartoony or colorful as the previews from a year earlier. I learned to like the graphics. Nintedo did the exact oposite with this game. The first "shot" of Zelda on the Cube was a short battle between Ganon and Link. The graphics were amazing everything was very clear. Then out of no where they make the game extremely cartoony. I've watched a couple of the movies on this site of Zelda and the stuff they do with the camera angles are awesome. You're gonna love it and if you don't you need to get a life or something like that smile.gif
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I love the cell shaded look. Granted I have not seen an awful lot of screenshots for this game nor have I seen any gameplay footage but what little I have seen has made me drool in anticipation of this game. I am not going to lie to you, like most people I had my reservations when I saw the first screenshots for the game, but while eveyone else was complaining about the cell haded/cartoony look I was more concerned about the fact that the satr of this game was going to be young Link, I have never been big on the concept of a young Link, inmy opinion Link should be in his late teens or his early 20's, there is just somthing about young Link that annoys me, but after looking carefully at the screenshots I can see that Nintendo have put alot of effort in to giving Link as much personality as they possibly can and oddly enough I can't wait to controll the little fella, is it just me or does he look really cute and yet really mischievious.
  • NanamiNanami New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I'm not exactly crazy about them but I still definitely want to play Wind Waker. But first I have to somehow become rich and obtain a GC. *sigh*
  • LegatoLegato Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I don't like the still shots, but in motion it is really good. And like it or not the game is going to kick arse anyway. So who cares right.
  • T_H_LockeT_H_Locke Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I really like the appearance that it is taking on now. I am really enthused about getting it even more than I was at the beginning of the year.

And it seems that cel-shading is becoming an even more reality with the passing months. Wild Arms 3 has it in there. Breath of Fire V has it as well. And now the Zelda series is dabbling in it now. What I wait to see is a FF that actually incorporates cel-shading.
  • Options
    edited February 2003
    I don't like it. I have no problem with the cel-shading technique but there are just so many better ways to pull that off. Dark Cloud 2's style looks amazing, and is probably the best looking yet-to-come RPG in my eyes. But WW's looks way too cartoony.

This is no knock on the game though. Has Nintendo ever disappointed us? Hell no. Judging on gameplay and scenario, WW will be the number one action/RPG on any console, no doubt.
  • Happy Mask SalesgirlHappy Mask Salesgirl Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    tounge.gif Am I the only one who thinks the new Link for Gamecube Zelda looks as though Santa's gonna come haul him back to the North Pole?

(: Of course, this isn't the same Link....this Link has a sister, which all us Ocarina Of Time and Majora's Mask fans know OUR Link did not have. Either that, or Miyamoto's been toking the Pikmin again. x)

Yeah, I preordered. But for once, I'm hoping the Mask Salesman doesn't play a part in this one. wink.gif
  • MirkMirk Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I really really like the new zelda look. Ever since jet grind radio came out i've been obsessed with cel shading and i'm really happy that the creators decided to take a risk with ww. I haven't played the game at my game store yet but I hope to soon and i preordered ww
  • amy_su88amy_su88 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Well as long as the story is good *admits she knows little about the new game* I don't care what it looks like. I mean come on the snes ruled..graphics don't matter; it's the gameplay that counts. biggrin.gif
  • Nash LatjkeNash Latjke Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Yeah, the new cel-shaded look is really neat. I am a fan of the Jet Grind Radio/Jet Set Radio series, and therefore I enjoy the cartoon/anime look. The previous Zelda games have always been very interesting, and I doubt that this one willl be any different...Or at I hope...I've got it pre-ordered...

Anyways- Yea, I love cel-shading and Zelda games, putting them together is a good idea gone better...

Thanks for listening...
  • SamusSamus Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Very true, gameplay is essential. I too have played it at a local toys r us, and let me tell you, still photos dont do it justice. You have to see this thing in action to appreciate it.. its so strange, but after a while you dont even notice the cell shading. It becomes part of the environment.

I didnt like when i first heard about it, but now ive really shined to the idea, and after playing it even more so. I pre-ordered it (more so to get the master quest, lol) and eagerly await WW smile.gif
  • joachim_the_gauntjoachim_the_gaunt New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    no i like the 64 LOZ's graphics better. im not really into the cell shading, but graphics mean almost nothing to me. i no it will be a great game, i mean its LOZ, what more must i say? and i wanna check out the LOZ OOT Master Quest, too.
  • GlacianGlacian Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I despise the new Link look. He looks like Kirby, the elf who wants to be a dentist. Although, the graphics of a game aren't a big deal to me. If the game is good, I can overlook the graphics. But, since I don't care for the Zelda games, I probably won't play it either way!
  • Yo-Yo KirbyYo-Yo Kirby Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I despise the new Link look. He looks like Kirby, the elf who wants to be a dentist. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hermey was the name of the elf who wanted to be a dentist, not Kirby. I don't think Link looks too much like Hermey....
  • NinaNina Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I like it..it grew on me...I cant wait to play it! I want to play it SO BAD!!! >_<
    Oh well, ill guess ill wait..
  • The GeneralThe General Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    ehh everyone thought the new Metroid was going to be a disaster. but that turned out ok. Miyamoto keeps saying that cell shading allows the team to do more with the game, so i guess if that is true, and we'll see...then i'm all for it.
  • joachim_the_gauntjoachim_the_gaunt New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    i like Hermey, link kinda does resemble him tho...
  • theavengtheaveng Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2003
    While playing the demo's boss fight, I found it difficult to focus on the cartoon. It felt like I was playing a cheesy 70's-style cartoon (think Scooby Doo). I think Nintendo should have used a style like Kingdom Hearts instead of cel-shading.
  • MithrandirMithrandir Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    I hated the look for the longest time, but it's really grown on me. I put fifteen bucks down on it, even though I don't have a Gamecube, because I wanted the Ocarina of Time for GC. I'm sure I'll have already played through half of Wind Waker on my friend's GC before I get my own, but I plan on owning this game.