If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Japanese characters in Ikonboard

flamethrowerflamethrower MemberFull Members
edited February 2008 in Site & Forum Support
Currently, it isn't possible to display Japanese characters natively in this forum.

I was wondering if there is a way to enable this ability, or if technical limitations prevent proper display of Japanese characters.

The workaround is a bunch of images (tags) strung together to make Japanese text. That's rather clunky. It would be better if you could type Japanese characters directly.

Comments

• ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited January 2008
    For... what reason, exactly, would the ability to type Japanese characters come in handy here?
  • VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (Zelgodes @ Jan. 20 2008,18:50)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">For... what reason, exactly, would the ability to type Japanese characters come in handy here?</div>
    Nerd cred.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited January 2008
    It's not possible to display Japanese because we don't use Japanese (Shift-JIS) encoding in the HTML. This is a limitation of the HTML spec more than anything else.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited January 2008
    Thank you for the reply. <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">For... what reason, exactly, would the ability to type Japanese characters come in handy here?</div>For fun. No other reason.
  • nakamuranakamura Member Full Members
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (Vigivalgus @ Jan. 21 2008,00:13)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (Zelgodes @ Jan. 20 2008,18:50)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">For... what reason, exactly, would the ability to type Japanese characters come in handy here?</div>
    Nerd cred.</div>
    I can read them? So am i a nerd?
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (nakamura @ Jan. 27 2008,14:30)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (Vigivalgus @ Jan. 21 2008,00:13)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    Nerd cred.</div>
    I can read them? So am i a nerd?</div>
    Did you learn them for any other reason then to play video games in Japanese? Be honest.

edited January 2008
    <div>
    (Frozenbabylon @ Jan. 27 2008,21:46)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (nakamura @ Jan. 27 2008,14:30)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    Nerd cred.</div>
    I can read them? So am i a nerd?</div>
    Did you learn them for any other reason then to play video games in Japanese? Be honest.</div>
    Nope. I just picked it up playing Winning Eleven on Jap. I was always given the job to translate name into english and i picked it up. Plus my missus is japanese so it worked out ok. biggrin.gif
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (Frozenbabylon @ Jan. 27 2008,14:46)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Did you learn them for any other reason then to play video games in Japanese? Be honest.</div>
    For that reason.
    But primarily for watching animes. Learning to listen/speak is easier than learning to read for sure. Reading is necessary for games (somewhat) but not for anime.

Another secondary reason is music.
  • doriandorian Member Full Members
    edited January 2008
    Not always. It depends on what you're more naturally accustomed to.

For me taking the JLPT, the listening section was murder for me. I destroyed the reading/grammar section, though.

• daremodaremo New Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    本当にできるかどうかかくにんしましょう。

It comes up okay in the preview, but then is turned into numbers in the actual box after clicking the button... Must be a font thing.

Edit:
    Ummm.... Actually it works just fine for me...

edited February 2008
    わたし
    日本
    ある
    こんばんわ
    はじめまして。Flamethrowerです。

Edit: Added double post.

Sorry for the dbl post. Need to test this again.

よろしくおねがいします。

よろしい

Edited by flamethrower on Feb. 08 2008,21:15

Edit x2: You know how to Edit. As was evidenced. Lets not doublepost.

Sorry for the dbl post. Need to test this again.

よろしくおねがいします。

よろしい

Hey, it does work. I thought it didn't. Refer to this post.

Let's try it again just for good measure:
    日本語

Did someone change something in Ikonboard? Ah well, I can probably chalk this one up to my lame IME skills.

ひらがな

edited February 2008
    Why do you even need JP characters. Like 3 people on the entire board know what you're saying and instead of looking clever and smart, You come off looking like a huge nerd in a crowd of nerds.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I demand the ability to post in the runic language from Ultima!
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (The Doomhammer @ Feb. 09 2008,03:32)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I demand the ability to post in the runic language from Ultima!</div>
    NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD.
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited February 2008
    While we're at it. We should also include Arabic. And quite possibly Elvish. O_o
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • happytownhappytown Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    中文可以吗?

Seriously though, it's actually kind of rude to post stuff in Japanese on a board populated mainly by people who don't know what you're talking about. You know, in an inconsiderate kind of way.

I guess I could see wanting to do it in the anime thread, but that's about it right now.
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (happytown @ Feb. 09 2008,17:45)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">中文可以吗?

Seriously though, it's actually kind of rude to post stuff in Japanese on a board populated mainly by people who don't know what you're talking about. You know, in an inconsiderate kind of way.

I guess I could see wanting to do it in the anime thread, but that's about it right now.</div>
    QFT.

Thank you so much.
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited February 2008
    *pokes the little square boxes*

Makes me think someone's calling my mom something dirty. o.o

*bops FB for calling people nerds*

That's geek to you, pal!
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (kittenofthepack @ Feb. 09 2008,19:40)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">*pokes the little square boxes*

Makes me think someone's calling my mom something dirty. o.o

*bops FB for calling people nerds*

That's geek to you, pal!</div>
    Oh he's a nerd too. Trust me. And a geek. And pretty much all of the above.
    edited February 2008
    She's right.
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (Frozenbabylon @ Feb. 09 2008,22:46)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">She's right.</div>
    QFT.

I am so glad he said that. Seriously. He admits it in front of witnesses.
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited February 2008
    xD

Nerds of the world unite!
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Ok, so it seems you can, if you use a font that supports it. Not everyone has the international fonts though, so a lot of people are going to see boxes.

I still don't get how it worked without encoding, but *shrug*
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • daremodaremo New Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I think newer operating systems and most linux distributions will decode just about anything under the sun if you install the correct language packs. Though it does not do people who cannot see them a whole lot of good.

edited February 2008
    Not sure how to do this on Linux.

For WinXP:
    Default installs have at least one Japanese font. I know this b/c CompUSA installed windows for me and they put it on without my specifically asking.

How to install Japanese fonts in Windows XP
    The link also explains how to install the IME (input method editor - allows you to type Japanese characters)

Follow this link for setup instructions if you are a Vista user.

Once you have the IME installed, go here to learn how to use it.
    edited February 2008
    I have a newer laptop. So I can see the characters. I still don't understand why this is such a big deal for these boards. These honestly aren't necessary.
    edited February 2008
    My gf can read it all and im learning but i agree its not really important for this site.