If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Let's Talk About Lost Odyssey

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I'm sad that I only got to play a little last night. I got to <span class="spoiler">the big emotional scene</span> in disc 1 over the weekend, and it's definitely shaping up to be an interesting story. I hope to get a little more play time in tonight.

I have to agree with AforeNotation on the dream sequences; while they are amazing, after you come out of one of them, it takes you a minute to remember what you were doing.

As for the character of Kaim...I think he's going to be remembered as one of the great characters of gaming, the RPG version of Solid Snake.

Ming needs to dress more like a queen and less like a DOA character.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Ming Namara
    b004xw6.jpg

DoA character
    tinavj6.jpg

They look pretty different to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • TranticeTrantice Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Yea I'm about 7 hours into the game, <span class="spoiler"> I was just released by Queen Ming after Jensen tried to kidnap her, and I saved last night right after seeing the heated exchange between the Queen and that dumbass who wants to invade Uhra in the name of 'peace'.</span>

I love Jansen, he's funny as hell. He actually reminds me a lot of Setzer from FF3/6. The game does actually remind me of that game, between the music and some of the characters. I am really loving Kaim, and the storyline pace so far in disk 1 is awesome. I'm at work today just wondering what the heck is going on. I literally can't wait to get home to see what happens next.

Blue Dragon didn't suck me in like this, nor did Eternal Sonata. Enchanted Arms did to a degree, and before that I suppose it was FFX that drew me into the story so much, that I contemplated calling in sick at work to play it all day. Thankfully I just bought a new xbox, so overheating isn't so much a problem anymore...

The gameplay itself is by far better than I have seen in a long time. I died on the first try of both of the first two bosses (but kicked their butts easily the second time). It's not easy by any means, but the tricks are intuitive and I feel like everyone in my team contributes somehow.

What can I say, I am loving the game. And Queen Ming is super hot, but man those amazingly large breasts are like, crazy big.
  • GooseAssGooseAss Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    look at the faceting on those DOA boobies
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Am I the only one who kind of dislikes Jansen?
  • CrunchTimeCrunchTime Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">He actually reminds me a lot of Setzer from FF3/6.</div>

That's why I love his character too, god FF6 was a god-send.

I just want this as a series, RPGs rarely get this good. cool.gif
  • BrittonBritton Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (Frozenbabylon @ Feb. 23 2008,16:17)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Am I the only one who kind of dislikes Jansen?</div>
    I LOVE the guy! Honestly, as good as the rest of the game is, I find myself wanting to play just a bit more just to see what smart-posterior comment he says next.

I'm about 7 hours into the game... just got captured and thrown in jail... awesome awesome game so far. Been a while since I had this much fun with an RPG. I've found the last 2 bosses a bit hard though... I hope they get a bit easier later on. The boss battle at Grand Staff was insanely long and grueling.
  • CrunchTimeCrunchTime Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    One thing I love about Lost Odyssey that separates it from most RPGs is the challenge. I hope they decide to keep it in any future decisions Sakaguchi makes.

San Sakaguchi-san is a gaming god. biggrin.gif
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I just found out there's a ship in the game called the Nautilus.

1. omg lol
    2. YOUR SOUL STILL BURNS, SACNOTH.
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    How's the music? ?The fact that Uematsu did the soundtrack was one of the most intriguing aspects of the game (I thought). ?

My 360 is currently on leave due to the red ring of death (died during a run of "Dead or Alive" on Rock Band, how appropriate), so as soon as it comes back I'll be diving into this game...
    edited February 2008
    I don't know why people worship Uematsu. Yeah, Ok. He's good. But he's not the best. The music, Like everything else he's done, is extremely typical of this type of RPG. Epic Battle Music. Epic Sweeping Scores. Epic epic epic.

It's signature stuff. Which is to say, Good, But has a large of aftertaste of `I've heard this before.`

I'd say the best pieces he's done on the entire thing were the segments for the dreams.
    edited February 2008
    Sakimoto > Uematsu

That said, the Lost Odyssey OST is quite good. Better than the Blue Dragon one, by far.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (Jeffrey @ Feb. 27 2008,06:41)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Sakimoto > Uematsu

That said, the Lost Odyssey OST is quite good. Better than the Blue Dragon one, by far.</div>
    Both statements reek of truth.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I find Sakimoto infinitely more repetitive that Uematsu, since he uses the same style and instruments in every single one of his games. Granted, there's going to be some of that from different games by the same composer, but Sakimoto is approaching Shoji Meguro and Motoi Sakuraba levels of it.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (Slayer of God @ Feb. 27 2008,16:58)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I find Sakimoto infinitely more repetitive that Uematsu, since he uses the same style and instruments in every single one of his games. Granted, there's going to be some of that from different games by the same composer, but Sakimoto is approaching Shoji Meguro and Motoi Sakuraba levels of it.</div>
    Heh, yeah. Sakuraba is the worst, though.. especially all his forsaken battle themes whic all sound exactly the same.

Sakimoto used to be better. And I think it's only lately that he's gone this repetitive... he did some wonderful tracks on LeGaia 2 together with Mitsuda and Oshima, and his Dragon Quarter soundtrack is one of the best there ever was.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (Solon @ Feb. 27 2008,10:11)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">he did some wonderful tracks on LeGaia 2 together with Mitsuda and Oshima, and his Dragon Quarter soundtrack is one of the best there ever was.</div>
    Agreed there, especially in regards to Dragon Quarter. A Moment of Joy still remains my favorite boss battle theme.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (Frozenbabylon @ Feb. 23 2008,23:17)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Am I the only one who kind of dislikes Jansen?</div>
    No, you're not. I despise him. There's obviously a big audience for such characters though, because there's always a Jansen. Always. I don't get it... he's not funny. He's annoying, and ruins the mood and tension of every situation in which the party is involved.
    edited February 2008
    My 360 does NOT like the 4th disc of this game. It's locked 2 times since I started it.

Edit: I'm up to about 5 or 6 times now.

edited March 2008
    That was the one in the paper sleeve, no? That does not bode well.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited March 2008
    I hope I don't get that problem when I reach disk four. I am in <span class="spoiler">Numara</span> right now. I am currently exploring the town and trying to find all the items.

I think Ming is okay looking. If her breasts were smaller she would be more attractive. She is dressed rather outlandishly for a queen, though. Come to think of it, so are many of the rest of the cast.

It looks like <span class="spoiler">Gondara is the current bad guy. After being captured by the Numarans and placed on the brig on the White Boa, Kaim had his second dream about that little girl falling off the cliff (I think her name was Lirim or something). In the background there was a third guy and he seems to resemble Gongara> I strongly suspect that he is another immortal. I do wonder what his goals are.</span>

One thing I am liking are the visuals. The game certainly looks fantastic. The water in the canals of <span class="spoiler">Numara</span> look quite convincing. The only way for me to tell the difference between the pre-rendered visuals and the in-game engine is to look for thinks like worn equipment. The pre-rendered visuals look only slightly better.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited March 2008
    So I just picked this up yesterday... and have already clocked in 14 hours.

I am so addicted to this game its not even funny. Its gorgeous, traditional with some cool FFIX kind of skill system with the items, I like the little twists on the turn based.. and the story slays, ESPECIALLY the dream sequences. The music makes my heart wrench.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited March 2008
    Mm, I've enjyoed the music quite a lot as well, which surprises me a bit. Uematsu really put some effort into this one.
    edited March 2008
    Finally got this. Been too long!
    edited March 2008
    Looking back at this game, I think my biggest gripe was Cooke and Mack. First off, what kind of retarded names are that? They were particularly annoying with the japanese voices, "COOKUU!!, MACKUU!!". It doesn't help that it's in the general RPG mentality to always pronounce everyone's name at least twice per sentence (who talks like that anyway?)

I don't know, everything about them was just plain annoying. Their song on disc 2 made me press mute in panic, afraid I might go mad with disgust. The thing is, I can't really put my finger on what it is that makes me hate them so. There are immature brats in every other RPG, but few have awakened such rage in me as these two. Normally I can just ignore it and focus on the other things in the game, but I found that impossible in LO.
    edited March 2008
    I actually didn't mind Cooke and Mack. They just felt like a non twin version of Palom and Porom to me.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited March 2008
    Cooke and Macke have yet to annoy me too much. But time will tell, I can see some awakening aggrivation that may spawn such feelings
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited March 2008
    I'm surprised at how... heavy this game is.

Not the main storyline, mind you, that's already dripping with lolz, but the dream stuff. I mean I usually consider "high" RPG writing to be on par with classic fairytales or Disney movies, but some of the ones I've read through already feel maybe a step up above that (the thinly veiled retelling of The Prodigal Son, for example). Hopefully there's enough of those to offset the main storyline's facepalming stuff...

It is nice that the Sacnoth / Nautilus touch is there still in the writing too though. Like when <span class="spoiler">Seth comes to tell you you'll be leaving on a mission in the morning after you leave Gongora's house</span>, that was easily something you would have seen in Shadow Hearts 2 or 3.

My only major gripe is that I have to input all the battle commands for my dudes before stuff starts happening. This is seriously the worst thing ever, especially when there's a visual cue on screen that shows you turn order. As for a minor one, the concentric ring thing in combat isn't nearly as fun as the judgment ring, but it still provides enough interactivity to keep me more engaged than a purely menu driven combat system would.
    edited March 2008
    <div>
    (Davis @ Mar. 12 2008,09:27)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">My only major gripe is that I have to input all the battle commands for my dudes before stuff starts happening. This is seriously the worst thing ever,</div>
    I agree. It would have beeen perfect if it had worked like in Persona 2, where you could halt everything mid-battle and change the remaining turns according to how the battle circumstances were then. The way it is in LO though, the strategical possibilities are much more limited.
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited March 2008
    <div>
    (Solon @ Mar. 07 2008,06:11)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Looking back at this game, I think my biggest gripe was Cooke and Mack. First off, what kind of retarded names are that? They were particularly annoying with the japanese voices, "COOKUU!!, MACKUU!!". It doesn't help that it's in the general RPG mentality to always pronounce everyone's name at least twice per sentence (who talks like that anyway?)

I don't know, everything about them was just plain annoying. Their song on disc 2 made me press mute in panic, afraid I might go mad with disgust. The thing is, I can't really put my finger on what it is that makes me hate them so. There are immature brats in every other RPG, but few have awakened such rage in me as these two. Normally I can just ignore it and focus on the other things in the game, but I found that impossible in LO.</div>
    Thank god, I thought I was the only one who had issues with Cooke and Mack. I don't hate them but soo far they have provided some of the most note worthy cringe moments in the game ( I just got to disc 3 last night ). Much like yourself I was in a panic when they started singing and franticly searched for the mute button my tv remote.

I kind of un-sure on whether i like Jansen or not, he obviously well written and his English voice acter plays him very well but somthimes I think he is funny and somtimes I just want him to shut up.

Minor complaints aside, Lost Odyssey is still a pretty awesome game.
    edited March 2008
    <div>
    (Wind @ Mar. 13 2008,06:27)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I kind of un-sure on whether i like Jansen or not, he obviously well written and his English voice acter plays him very well but somthimes I think he is funny and somtimes I just want him to shut up.</div>
    Actually, he wasn't well-written at all, because the voice actor didn't have a rigid script to work off of. He was an improv comedian who ad libbed a lot of his lines. So you can either thank or blame the voice actor (as the case may be), not the writers.