If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square Makes It Official for Final Fantasy Origins

AletheaAlethea MemberFull Members
edited February 2003 in Latest Updates
Square tells us something we already figured out -- the release date for FFO. Still, it's nice to get an official confirmation.

Square Makes It Official for Final Fantasy Origins

Comments

• golbexgolbex Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    This is cool. Here's hoping that things are done right... that there won't be faulty discs this time... that they work in the PS2, and that the menus don't load slowly.
  • djgoku76djgoku76 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    biggrin.gif It's about time.... I was beginning to wonder about this games situation with the merger and all.....

sarcasm.gif Now, I wonder if they plan on making another collection game for PSOne..... How about FF 3 and another game.... Maybe Bahamut Lagoon..... Or another unknown or unseen RPG or strategy game..... Anyone have any suggestions???

As far as the merger..... Now that Square/Squaresoft and Enix have formed the greatest alliance of our modern day.... Will we see collections of Dragon Quest/Warrior games for PSOne or PS2confused.gif I already know we've seen the games came out for GameBoy/ Gameboy Advance..... But us platform owners want a piece of the action too.... Haven't seen Dragon Quest/Warrior 5 and 6..... When we see it!?!?!?!?

And Ogre Battle..... How about a prequel, just like the Star Wars Triology...... As we know, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen was the fourth story in the series..... When will we see something about the history..... The actually events leading up to the battle.....

I know there are alot series and games created by both Square/Squaresoft and Enix that I maybe over looking..... Anything anyone wants to see?confused.gif Any suggestions?confused.gif

Believe me when I say us RPG/Strategy games have a bright and successful future in our future!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
  • yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Well, I don't think the PSone is a very good system at this point to be releasing any new games on..

I would like to see plenty of other Square games remade like Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 or maybe even Rudra No Hihou. I think Bahamut Lagoon is the last game I'd like to see remade.

It's one of the worst strategy games I've ever played.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Considering that nothing except the FMV in FFO requires nothing more advanced than a Super Nintendo (at most) to play, I don't really see the problem with releasing these games on the PSX. That way, you target a user base which not only consists of the PS2 crowd, but everyone who has a PSX and has yet to upgrade to the newer model. They could have released it on the PS2, sure, but the only difference you would see is the shape of the box it came in. Square just chose to waste 300MB of a CD rather than multiple gigs on a DVD, is all.
  • _darkportal__darkportal_ New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    nice offical release...
    FF Origins surely going to rock..
  • AragornAragorn Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Being one that has only been able to watch others play FF1, and of course never even seeing FF2, I am looking forward to origins. I love these rereleases, and once they release FF3 I'll have all the Final Fantasy titles to date which will be nice.
    edited February 2003
    biggrin.gif I am glad to see some people agree with what I've said.... It is understandable with all the new game systems out there, that the PSOne format for possible future remakes of past games isn't the best..... But it is a good starting point.... It has potential of carrying over to the PS2 owners, like myself...... I know alot of us don't have Game boy Advance..... Maybe in a few months I will..... In the meantime, I'd like to see more remakes of games..... something with FF3..... Maybe Bahamut Lagoon...... Secret of Mana..... Secret of Mana 2...... the orginal Chocobo Dungeon....

And since Enix is a part of the family now..... How about collections for the Dragon Quest/Warrior series.... The actually series that got me started on RPG/strategy games for the format systems.... And hopefully like FF2 and possible FF3.... Will we see Dragon Quest/Warrior 5 and 6 sometime in the future..... How about Toranko...... Brainlord Remix.... Soulblazer remix....

And another one of my personal favorite series is Ogre Battle..... There hasn't been a year where I haven't taken a step back into time to play Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen on my SNES or PSOne..... But what about it's history..... The actually Ogre Battle.... The events leading up to it..... Kinda like a prequel remencent of the Star Wars prequels...... Think about it......

I'll definately agree with Aragorn about his comments.... The only time we've actually seen a translation of FF2 or FF3 was on an emulator.... As well as a few other i've metioned.... I also know alot of us may or maynot have those games in our CPU's....... But I guess with the merger, there is hope of seeing these games reborn into the 21st century.....

Thank you to Square/Squaresoft and Enix for giving us hope for the future.......
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I dont know. I think Square made a mistake in the way they have re-released the Final Fantasy series. They know we eat, sleep, and crap FF. Why not make it a special event? Why not re-release 2 FF's every year until they get to FF 10? I think either Atari or Activision has a collection disk of a lot of old school games and they include a little history on each of them. Give a few interviews. Have a "making of " easter egg somewhere. It doesnt have to be an expensive set up. Just the game with a cosmetic face-lift and a few interviews. I would definitely buy them if they were released in that way. Now i have to look for all the other FF in wierdo collections with other games or systems. If im not mistaken the US has all but 1 of the FFs and they are spread across 3 systems.(GB, Snes, PSX)

Im not saying that the FFs will be bad games. Im just saying that Square could have marketed them differently. Made them a bit more special for the fans.
  • yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Actually, my list of Enix games that I want released is a lot longer than my Squaresoft remake list.
  • KujataXKujataX Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    if you didn't know FFO was released as an iso format last week

it's all over IRC and newsgroups

not saying that this is a good thing of course
  • NanamiNanami New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    All I've gotta say is, thanks Square, I love you! =D
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KujataX @ Feb. 11 2003,21:06)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"if you didn't know FFO was released as an iso format last week

it's all over IRC and newsgroups

not saying that this is a good thing of course[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    We'll stick with the legal release date around here, thanks.
    edited February 2003
    biggrin.gif Hey yazarc420..... Can I see that list?

I know there are alot of Final Fantasy and/or other Square/Squaresoft RPG/strategy games out in the free world....

But what about Enix...? Let's see those games..... Thanks...
  • Cid_HighwindCid_Highwind Banned Banned Users
    edited February 2003
    yeah i'm grateful, but what about FINAL FANTASY 3confused.gif?? MY COLLECTION NEEDS TO BE COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • StryphStryph New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I have no idea if it is any good but I would love to see Radical Dreamers get released, along with FF 3 of course.

As for Enix games, I would have to say Dragon Warrior 5 and 6 are the obvious choices, then there is Star Ocean and Mystic Ark. Some other games that are made by Enix, though I know almost nothing about them; Burning Heroes, Dark Half, Jyutei Senki, Papuwa, and I have no idea how many NES games. There is at least two solid collections for Enix right there, not to mention Dragon Warrior I - IV.
    edited February 2003
    biggrin.gif Well, I'd thought I'd show off my wares here..... Some are RPG's and some are not.... But I'm just showing off my RPG/strategy games.....

NES - Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior 1-4, Bard's Tale, AD&D Pool of Radiance, Ultima 3, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Uninvited, De Ja Vu, Nobunaga's Ambition, Destiny of an Emperor, Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, Wizardy: Knight of Diamonds, Willow

SNES - Final Fantasy 2(4 in Japan), Final Fantasy 3(6 in Japan), Actrasier, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario RPG, Breath of Fire 1 & 2, Wizardry 5, Lufia: Fortress of Doom, Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinstrials, Secret of Mana, Super Gameboy

GameBoy- Dragon Warrior Monsters, Dragon Warrior 1 & 2

PSOne - Beyond the Beyond, Breath of Fire 3, Brigandine, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, ChronoCross, Chocobo Dungeon 2, Dragon Warrior 7, Eternal Eyes, Final Fantasy Anthology, Final Fantasy Chronicles, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy 7 - 9, Grandia, Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, Kartia: Word of Fate, Legend of Legaia, Legend of Mana, Saga Frontier 2, Saiyuki: Journey West, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Suikoden 1 & 2, Tactics Ogre, Tales of Destiny 1 & 2, Torneko: The Last Hope Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, Vandel Hearts 1 & 2, Wild ARMS 1 & 2, Xenogears

PS2 - Dark Cloud, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts, Suikoden 3, Legaia 2, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Onimusha 1 & 2, Kessen

Gamecube - Phantasy Star On-line Episode 1 & 2

PC- Diablo 1 & 2, Starcraft

I know I have alot more shopping to do...... Anything I'm missing?confused.gif Let me know..... By the way, I'm still training..... Can't wait till April for FF Origins and sometime soon for FF Crystal Chronicles.....
    biggrin.gif
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Since I haven't posted enough for creating a new topic yet, I'll ask here...does anyone know what the status of a remake for FF3j is? I'm dying to know, because with the first two arriving, it seems odd to still have "Lost" Final Fantasy games.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
    edited February 2003
    From Magic Box: Bandai mentioned that they will publish Square's Final Fantasy III for SwanCrystal / WonderSwan Color in Japan later this year.

So, still nothing for us.