If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES

Comments

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited April 2008
    If my copy of Fes is going to sit in Springfield, MA for the next two days I'm going to be very mad. ?It'll take me 5 hours round trip to go out and get it myself from the FedEx/UPS distribution center there. ?

But I'm up to summer vacation finally! ?Woooooo

EDIT: YAYAYYAYAYAY IT ARRIVED!

So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited April 2008
    It is a bit unfortunate that Persona 3 FES was released in the US just days after the original persona 3 came out in Europe. Persona 3 FES has yet to be confirmed for a European release but it is hard to enjoy Persona 3 ( awesome game by the way, I now get why soo many people on this site having been praising this game for months ) when you know there is Directors Cut with alot more stuff floating around out there.

Incidently I just finsihed Junpie's Operation Babe Hunt today, I can't remember the last time I laughed soo hard playing an rpg.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited April 2008
    I suppose I'll be joining in on the fun once I finish moving back home this Saturday. Hopefully my local store has the games I'm looking for this time.
  • Nico87Nico87 Member Full Members
    edited April 2008
    For those who didn't know, Persona 4 is being released in Japan in July. Thank god it's for the PS2!! biggrin.gif

Here are some character trailers - http://kotaku.com/373422/more-persona-4-goodness-+-character-trailers

Graphics looks poor but that's obviously because of the low resolution in the trailers.

edited April 2008
    <div>
    (Nico87 @ Apr. 29 2008,21:24)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">For those who didn't know, Persona 4 is being released in Japan in July. Thank god it's for the PS2!! ?biggrin.gif

Here are some character trailers - http://kotaku.com/373422/more-persona-4-goodness-+-character-trailers

Graphics looks poor but that's obviously because of the low resolution in the trailers.</div>
    Yes. We know wink.gif

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/persona/persona4/persona4.html
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hope we get Persona 4, though I'm somewhat doubtful since we're well into the next gen of consoles. As for FES, I may or may not get since I'm the "play one new game at a time" kind of person, and it could easily go out of print before I decide I want to buy it...
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited April 2008
    Junpei's "Kimono Commandos" moment is some of the best dialogue evar made.
    edited April 2008
    <div>
    (Der Jermeister @ Apr. 29 2008,22:53)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Hope we get Persona 4, though I'm somewhat doubtful since we're well into the next gen of consoles. As for FES, I may or may not get since I'm the "play one new game at a time" kind of person, and it could easily go out of print before I decide I want to buy it...</div>
    Persona 3 sparked a lot of interest in the SMT franchise, to the point of Atlus reprinting Nocturne. If they like money, they'll bring Persona 4 here. It's not like the PS3 isn't backwards compatible (even if it's gimped software emulation). We're usually 9 - 12 months behind Japan in terms of releases anyways, and Atlus is actively publishing PS2 stuff in Japan such as Mana Khemia 2 which isn't even out yet.

But this made me laugh: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs....2862026 Yeah I'm a wee bit bored at work right now.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited May 2008
    I made it past the first boss last night, as well as fulfilling most of Elizabeth's request. I'm steadily working my way into Yuko's heart / pants. And I'm desperately trying to raise my Academics above Average in time for exams. I don't think I'm going to fare too well.

I made the mistake of thinking the quiz game was free at the arcade on Wednesday and Friday, when I think it's actually Monday and Wednesday.

At any rate, I'm repeatedly surprised by how good this game is. No console game since Final Fantasy XII has gotten me to sit and play it for two hours straight. Last night I played FES at least that long.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
    edited May 2008
    <div>
    (Jeffrey @ May 01 2008,14:35)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I made it past the first boss last night, as well as fulfilling most of Elizabeth's request. ?I'm steadily working my way into Yuko's heart / pants. ?And I'm desperately trying to raise my Academics above Average in time for exams. ?I don't think I'm going to fare too well.

I made the mistake of thinking the quiz game was free at the arcade on Wednesday and Friday, when I think it's actually Monday and Wednesday. ?

At any rate, I'm repeatedly surprised by how good this game is. ?No console game since Final Fantasy XII has gotten me to sit and play it for two hours straight. ?Last night I played FES at least that long.</div>
    Maxing those three stats was hell.

Thank God I can load up my original game file, so I don't have to max them again, and I don't have to look for most of the Personas anymore.
    edited May 2008
    <div>
    (shoptroll @ Apr. 30 2008,07:46)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (Der Jermeister @ Apr. 29 2008,22:53)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Hope we get Persona 4, though I'm somewhat doubtful since we're well into the next gen of consoles. As for FES, I may or may not get since I'm the "play one new game at a time" kind of person, and it could easily go out of print before I decide I want to buy it...</div>
    Persona 3 sparked a lot of interest in the SMT franchise, to the point of Atlus reprinting Nocturne. If they like money, they'll bring Persona 4 here. It's not like the PS3 isn't backwards compatible (even if it's gimped software emulation). We're usually 9 - 12 months behind Japan in terms of releases anyways, and Atlus is actively publishing PS2 stuff in Japan such as Mana Khemia 2 which isn't even out yet.

But this made me laugh: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs....2862026 Yeah I'm a wee bit bored at work right now.</div>
    I thought Gust made Mana Khemia, and NIS America published it in the US. Mana Khemia is partly a part (!) of the Atelier Iris series, so are you sure that Atlus is making the 2nd Khemia?

edited May 2008
    <div>
    (Nico87 @ May 01 2008,09:12)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I thought Gust made Mana Khemia, and NIS America published it in ?the US. Mana Khemia is partly a part (!) of the Atelier Iris series, so are you sure that Atlus is making the 2nd Khemia?</div>
    Ok my bad. ?But it still stands... the niche publishers are probably going to keep the console going for the rest of 2008. ?At this point I would expect Mana Khemia and Persona 4 to be the last RPGs to hit the PS2 here. ?Unless S-E wisens up and brings us Front Mission 5 with a huge belated apology. ?Or the KH Final Mixes and FF Internationl Versions.

I imported my P3 save since I wasn't finished with the base game. ?I've got all 3 dating stats at 4 already biggrin.gif ?Right now my goals during the day are to work the S.Links in the following order Chariot->Magician->Hiero. ?Strength and Temperance should be available fairly soon, and I'm still trying to find Hanged Man, but I'm not sure if that one has moved. ?If none of the S.Links are available, then the plan is to stat grind, and once stats are full probably just waste time in the Arcade if none of the Links are available. ?I hear the Movie Theatre is supposed to be a good spot, is there any way to find out in-game what stats the movies correspond to? ?I know the movie selection changes each month (or at least that's what the game hinted at).

I'm still annoyed that I stupidly split the party up last night after defeating a Wealthy Hand (for cash and to get a jump on Elizabeth's requests whenever the game decides to let me see them) to try and level a bit while the enemies were weak. ?Stupid me decided taking on those "Trance ____" zombies with Orpheus would be a great idea. ?Of course, it was brilliant, up until the point where I realized I hadn't gotten the scan data and let one of them live. ?Boy howdy that was stupid. ?I leave one a live, scan data comes back, it immediately Zios me, ?knocks me down, and Zios me again for the kill. ?It had 10 HP left. ?I was ripped. ?Oh, and to add injury to insult, I have Nekomata which I could have used too.

That's what I love about this game. ?It does not hold back when you do something stupid. ?Which in my case, accounts for about 99.99% of the times I've died. ?I have yet to feel like the game "cheated" and killed me out of spite.

edited May 2008
    Atlus games do tend to be hard, but fair (well, with the exception of Trauma Center, which was harder than IRL surgery).

Speaking of new Personae, I managed to fuse an Ara Mitami (sp?) last night. I hadn't seen that Persona in vanilla P3, but then, I didn't get very far into it, either. That is one funny looking Persona, though.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
    edited May 2008
    Trauma Center is a royal pain in the anoos. As much as I love that game.... Oi. I just got First Blood and I hope that it's a lot less frustrating than Under the Knife.

Ara Mitama? I thought the Mitamas were in vanilla? I know I had gotten the Orange Mitama that was on Chariot, and the Blue Mitama that was on Temperance. They're essentially one half of the yin-yang symbol.

As much as I don't want to waste space in my Persona Lineup, I'm thinking of keeping Asparas and Orpheus around a lot longer than last time, as Cadenza is awesome, and Media just doesn't hold up in combat sad.gif
    edited May 2008
    I'm quite confident that P4 will be released in the US, even though it's for the PS2. I believe as long as developers make PS2 games, they will be released. And let's be honest, I think both P3 and other SMT titles like Nocturne and DDS has been, and still is, pretty popular in the US, and Ghostlight has got the rights to publish SMT titles in Europe, and they're kinda popular and getting good reviews. I think Atlus will look at the sales for Nocturne, P3, and other SMT titles, in the different markets, Asia, America, and Europe (like most publishers will do), when they're deciding wether to release P4 outside Japan, and like I said, I'm pretty confident we will see the game in USA, and maybe even in Europe.

edited May 2008
    <div>
    (shoptroll @ May 01 2008,08:20)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Ara Mitama? ?I thought the Mitamas were in vanilla? ?I know I had gotten the Orange Mitama that was on Chariot, and the Blue Mitama that was on Temperance. ?They're essentially one half of the yin-yang symbol.</div>
    They probably are. I just never fused one until now.
    edited May 2008
    <div>
    (Nico87 @ May 01 2008,10:21)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I'm quite confident that P4 will be released in the US, even though it's for the PS2. I believe as long as developers make PS2 games, they will be released. And let's be honest, I think both P3 and other SMT titles like Nocturne and DDS has been, and still is, pretty popular in the US, and Ghostlight has got the rights to publish SMT titles in Europe, and they're kinda popular and getting good reviews. I think Atlus will look at the sales for Nocturne, P3, and other SMT titles, in the different markets, Asia, America, and Europe (like most publishers will do), when they're deciding wether to release P4 outside Japan, and like I said, I'm pretty confident we will see the game in USA, and maybe even in Europe.</div>
    Before Persona 3, I think if you had gone to a mainstream gaming site like GameFaqs, IGN, Gamespy and GameSpot and asked in an RPG thread "Has anyone played an SMT game" you would have seen a ton of "No. What's that?" provided your thread wasn't buried by the amount of FFVII Sephiroth and Cloud worship I'd imagine you'd find there.

You would probably have much better luck now, but AFAIK Persona 3 is the breakout title for the series. Quite honestly, if Final Fantasy XII had been delayed another 6-12 months it might not have gotten the attention it did.

That said, I'm still disappointed that Nintendo hasn't made a massive push to grab Persona for the Wii. Everytime I play P3, I just keep thinking "This is the type of Mature title that would fit well in Nintendo's strategy".
    edited May 2008
    Well said, shoptroll. I don't know if I agree with the Wii-stuff though. I'm under the impression that Wii is all about fun and family-stuff etc. They also tend to go for "old" titles such as a Mario and Metroid Prime.
    edited May 2008
    <div>
    (Nico87 @ May 01 2008,18:27)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Well said, shoptroll. I don't know if I agree with the Wii-stuff though. I'm under the impression that Wii is all about fun and family-stuff etc. They also tend to go for "old" titles such as a Mario and Metroid Prime.</div>
    Explain No More Heroes then if that's the case.

Basically, Persona for the Wii would be like Eternal Darkness for the GameCube. It's not blood and guts and sex, but it is material that you wouldn't want to expose to a younger child. There's more substance in the game than most M rated titles. As much as everyone praised GTAIII and Vice City, there isn't a whole lot to take away from the plot or story.
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I know. Of course there are "mature" games for Wii, but with all the Wii-Fits and the Wii-this and Wii-that, I just had the sense that they hoped for a family customer base.
    edited May 2008
    Persona 3 is mature? I don't remember the rating, but save for blasting your brains in and a certain "scene" with Yukari, I don't see how this game is can be rated mature at all. Even the occult and mythological references are too obscure to be considered for mature.
    edited May 2008
    It's rated M here. I think it's a combination of disturbing images (teen "suicide" ), language, violence, and sexual themes.
    edited May 2008
    I've always wondered about the rating. You can count the amount of times the characters swear in the game with both hands, and Junpei does more than half of that. Blood is restricted to a few scenes, the violence is comparable to any T rated game, and there's barely 2 scenes with the vaguest sexual themes (Massive spoilarz if I said which ones).

That said, the only thing questionable is blowing your skull in, and it's really only up to just putting a "gun" to your head and pulling the trigger.

If some whacked up teen somewhere takes a gun and blasts the neurons out of his skull, then there must be something wrong with him to begin with.
    edited May 2008
    <div>
    (MeoTwister5 @ May 02 2008,09:43)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Persona 3 is mature? ?I don't remember the rating, but save for blasting your brains in and a certain "scene" with Yukari, I don't see how this game is can be rated mature at all. ?Even the occult and mythological references are too obscure to be considered for mature.</div>
    Well the game isn't candy coated like your stereotypical jRPG (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest). The SMT series has always had a darker feel to it. Just when I look at P3 and I look at Eternal Darkness I get this weird feeling of similarity between the two. Maybe it's superficial, but I'd much rather have more M rated games where the violence and sex and stuff isn't there to draw attention to the game *cough*Manhunt*cough*.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited May 2008
    Mara.
    edited May 2008
    Can anyone recommend to me which game I should start with? P3:FES or Nocturne? I can't decide!
    edited May 2008
    <div>
    (Nico87 @ May 03 2008,01:12)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Can anyone recommend to me which game I should start with? P3:FES or Nocturne? I can't decide!</div>
    If you're an SMT virgin, PE3 has a lot more forgiving difficulty comparatively.

If you're used to SMT levels of difficulty, Nocturne is your challange.
    edited May 2008
    Guess I'll wait for FES to arrive then! biggrin.gif
    edited May 2008
    I was at IGN a while back and saw some video ads for FES, showing Yukari and Mitsuru in their new "battle armors" and scenes of the new S-link dates with Elizabeth and Aigis.

I still won't be getting my FES within the next 5 days. I'm gonna scoot over to thar corner and cry myself to sleep.
    edited May 2008
    Elizabeth isn't really an S.Link. Her dates are part of her request system. I just did the first one, it was quite amusing.