If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter

UncleGamerRPGUncleGamerRPG MemberFull Members
edited March 2003 in Role Playing Games
With the current Trend in the forums being Xenosaga, I figured I'd start a topic on Capcoms not-yet-released RPG Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter. From what I know about it currently it will bring on some new features (such as the D-Ratio feature) and will boast a new not-quite-turnbased-not-quite-Action Battle system. Personally, I can't wait. What do you all think about it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Also since I'm sortive new to Capcoms RPG games I just wanna know how interconnected each of the games are, aside from the main character almost always being called Ryu, and a winged princess named Nina.

Comments

• Geek_SquidGeek_Squid Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    sometimes i wake up from sleep in the middle of the night in a cold sweat because i have been having the recurring nightmare that i was playing the breath of fire series...suffice to say i hate it. it just doesn't inspire me in any way whatsoever, unless being totally irritated and miserable the whole time i am playing it counts.

all just my opinion of course.
  • Urban PhilosopherUrban Philosopher Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I played BOF2, it had many good ideas like combining with spirits to take on different forms and building your own town but the core gameplay was flawed. Overall it was an average RPG.
  • FirestormGuyFirestormGuy Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    The Breath of Fire games have always been average. Probably always will be. I just buy them on the hopes that some day one of them will be really good, well, that and I can't stand having an incomplete series sitting around.

I think what bugs me most about BoF V from what I've seen so far is that the characters all look like they've starved themselves to death. Other than that, it looks like it will be a pretty good game.
  • AragornAragorn Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I thought the first Breath of Fire game was great but 2 and 3 didn't impress me very much so I never played 4.

Interestingly enough, the 1st BoF game was produced by Squaresoft so at the time I thought it was just another great Square game, but Capcom was the brains behind even the first game.
  • Holy DragoonHoly Dragoon Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I've always felt that the BOF series was more than the sum of its parts. I consider BOF4 to be one of the best RPG's ever. Most people who know the series will probably disagree, but I think the series has gotten better with each installment. One and two didn't seem to offer much, but three and especially four were well structured in terms of plot and characterization (with the notable exception of Ryu) and each has been solid in other areas as well. Need;ess to say, I'm happily awaiting the next installment.
  • NinaNina Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    the BOF series is above average at most..I love it..its a breath of fresh air among RPGs especially if you get sick of playing the same old mundane FF game...
    BOF4 is my favorite and id love to play the new one...Im looking forward to it!
  • Lightning DragonLightning Dragon Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    The BoF series is my absolute FAVORITE! BoF I is my fave (I really liked the plot) and BoF II is probably second (good gameplay). I've never played BoF III or IV, but I really want to, and I'm quite happy to hear they're making a BoF V.
  • Yo-Yo KirbyYo-Yo Kirby Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Breath of Fire series, eh? I liked the series pretty well, but it didn't compare to others like Final Fantasy. Then again... BOF V looks like it will change things. I've read previews and reviews and everyone seems to be quite impressed. I, for one am interested in the Vagrant Story-esqe battle system. But excites me is that it looks even more complex! Anyway, I'll just have to wait and see.
  • Hitokiri MattousaiHitokiri Mattousai New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    The BoF series has always been pretty average in my opinion. I do agree though that with each new installment the series does get better, plot-wise, characterization, etc. BoF has never been "great". On the same hand, it has never been "bad". I quite enjoy the series, and I think BoFV could actually be the one to break the mold and stand out as a true marvel.
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I liked the second one...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I, for one am interested in the Vagrant Story-esqe battle system. But excites me is that it looks even more complex![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

MORE complex!? Wasn't it complex enough?

Anyhoo, I've heard that this game takes a dramatic departure from the others by basing it in a post-apocalyptic world of some sort. That might rattle the series up a bit.
  • MirkMirk Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I enjoyed the first two BoFs for SNES, but never got around to playing the third and fourth. I'm hoping to pick this one up soon after it comes out because it looks like a sharp and innovative turn (hopefully for the better tounge.gif) in the direction the series is going
  • Yo-Yo KirbyYo-Yo Kirby Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"MORE complex!? Wasn't it complex enough?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    laugh.gif Yeah, maybe being more complex than VS can be a bad thing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyhoo, I've heard that this game takes a dramatic departure from the others by basing it in a post-apocalyptic world of some sort. That might rattle the series up a bit.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You're right, it takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. The cool thing is that the entire game is underground. The story resolves around three people who are among the last of the human race. The humans had been forced to build cities deep underground, and after a couple hundred years Ryu decides to venture to the surface. Sounds pretty cool to me.
  • Cloud Strife 7Cloud Strife 7 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I beat BoFIII a couple of years ago and recently beat IV. they were really great games. Don't get me wrong I love Final Fantasy but it's just that you can't compare every RPG to it. BoF flows in a very different way than the FF's and I'm glad it does because variation is what keeps me interested in games.
  • RamonezRamonez New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I love the Breath of Fire series, I have all four and I'm planning on getting the fifth for my birthday, (turning 15). My birthday is in April so I will need to wait two months but that is ok, I have Wild Arms 3, Xenosaga(soon), and Legia 2: Duel Saga to keep me busy.
    ---
    "Laugh and grow fat."
    Currently Playing: Legia 2: Duel Saga
  • Options
    edited February 2003
    The Breath of Fire series are the best games there are to me. 1 and 2 were really great but when 3 came out WOW...that game really suprised me. I consider 3 and 4 some of the best RPGS ever. And i am hoping for a really good game for Breath of Fire 5. Cause if the game really sucks it will ruin all that this series has worked for.
    But of course this is all in my opion laugh.gif
  • Lobster MagnetLobster Magnet Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Guess i'm gonna be the odd one out again. I hated most of the FF games, always prefered the BoF series. Didn't like 4 quite as much as the others though, simply because of the beginning. That was the most boring item hunt ever, back and forth, back and forth....yawn.
    I'm not looking forward to the new one however, going by media and artwork alone. Agh. Ah well at least the "slimes" are still the same. Always thought they had the cutest ones, even better than Dragon Quest's. Unfortunately for them they never had a plushie made for'em. At least they have a keen transparency effect though.
    Anyone else think of Marge Simpson as a spider? Looks like they have beehives...
  • NanamiNanami New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I love 'em. I played BOFIV first and it's turned out to be one of my all-time favorite RPGs. Then I bought BOFIII and loved it(yet not as much as IV). I played a bit of my brother's copy of BOFI on the GBA and I haven't been able to play any of BOFII yet. I can't wait for BOFV!

• mushroom2703mushroom2703 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I don't get the big "average" thing on bof.Ithink bof4 was and still is one of the best games i have ever played.I'd am looking forward to bof very much and it looks amazing.
  • mushroom2703mushroom2703 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I was just wondering if anyone knows a good bof 4 or 5 site as i can't find one.I would really apprieciate it.
    edited February 2003
    I do not like the idea of it being underground at all. That's just saddening. I'll wait until 6. Blark! Wharf! Hork! Okay I'll stop.
    Besides which post-apocalyptic anything is usually pretty bad. Unless of course it involves corporate warfare, mweh heh heh.
    Man, I wonder what happened to Bullfrog...
    edited February 2003
    So does anyone have the game yet? How is it? I've heard some negative things about the difficulty and gameplay, but can someone tell me how they're liking it?
  • ZythonZython Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lobster Magnet @ Feb. 16 2003,17:25)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I do not like the idea of it being underground at all. That's just saddening. I'll wait until 6. Blark! Wharf! Hork! Okay I'll stop.
    Besides which post-apocalyptic anything is usually pretty bad. Unless of course it involves corporate warfare, mweh heh heh.
    Man, I wonder what happened to Bullfrog...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, you probably hated FFVII because (not so spoiler) "<span class="spoiler">Aeris died</span>" . Things aren't always "happily ever after." Bleak, sad, and demented can easily be argued to be more artistic than happiness. It might also be safe to assume that you hated movies, like Sparticus, that have sad endings. You are missing out on so much confused.gif .
  • bgbbgb New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    It's not as had as they say it is, believe me. I haven't died once in the game(but I have come very, very close.) There is a definite challenge here. Each of your characters are extremely important and useful in battle. Lin's gun combos and Nina's magic are definitely a blessing.
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yeah, you probably hated FFVII because (not so spoiler) "Aeris died" . Things aren't always "happily ever after." Bleak, sad, and demented can easily be argued to be more artistic than happiness. It might also be safe to assume that you hated movies, like Sparticus, that have sad endings. You are missing out on so much . [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Assumption is the root of all evil, dear sir, and you're on the next Axis of Evil speech!
    Never saw Sparticus. Romans and Greeks don't interest me much, I'm not that into insane debauchery, Caligula was enough. I'm banking you didn't see Area 88 to say such a thing, and no, I cheered when that happened, but it still blew goat "tail" as GoatRearEnd would say. I stopped totally paying attention after Midgar and returned it, swapping it for the PSX version of Ogre Battle. I've simply never liked any of the Final Fan-...What the hell, wait a second, I already stated BoF 2 was my favorite, you're just going totally Freudian here. Damn dirty hooknose baboon.
    I just hate the underground or apocalyptic anything, it's so drab, dead, and well not very artistic, coming from someone whom paints as a hobby. Ye can find no black on my paintings unless it naturally appears there, or is being used to "clash" with a bright vivacious colour. Remember kiddies, death is a beautiful representation of the end of the thread, it comes in yellows and oranges and browns, purples, blues and reds, spread across the ground! (And sometimes white-hot if some sadist is using Phossy rounds.)
    Hey that was a pretty fun rant, I have to do this again sometime.
    Another spike in the theory's boat, I *hate* Disney for screwing with the old "fairy tales," and you probably know they had some pretty terrible endings at times.
    My favorite slogan, thank you Dr. Dirlewanger; If Walt wasn't dead, he would be; if Eisner wasn't braindead, he would be. Break out the whiffle bats, we're going mouse hunting!
    edited February 2003
    Just picked up the game today, and so far so good. The cel shading fits rather well with the overall enviroment. More on the game as I progress.
    edited February 2003
    I've read up on it some more and it seems like the people who were complaining about difficulty just couldn't put up with the somewhat challenging battle system and save systems =). This game sounds cool I'll probably buy it soon.
    edited February 2003
    Ok, I think I can see why some people have been complaining about the difficulty level. The gameplay is easily the most intricate I've seen in a long time, perhaps ever.

There are numerous skills and items to use on enemies before you even enter a battle, and unlike most games, you not only see your enemies before you encounter them, you can see how many you will encounter, using bait aquired at shops or in chests allows you to lure a small portion of a large group of enemies away, allowing you to custimize your own battle. Once you have engaged the enemy, there is an even wider range of skills for you to use, the control scheme is remeniscient of Xenogears attack system, using combos of x, o, and square to really stick it to those monsters.

There were, however, a few things that bugged me about the game mechanics. The foremost being the save token system. Think of ink ribbons in Resident Evil, though thankfully, a little easier to find (mostly in chests). Still, I just don't like having a limit on how often I can save. The other is the disaperance of the master system. You can still take new skills from enemies like in previous BOFs, but it looks like there isn't a single master in the whole game.

So far I'm definetly enjoying the game, its differant and challenging, and thats a rare thing. I hope the plot gets a little deeper from here on.
  • DisasterChild8DisasterChild8 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    One of the questions the topic starter had was how do the games connect to each other? i'm curious as well, does anybody know?

P.S. i've never played any of the games except the first one, which i am playing now.
  • xxtrizzxxtrizz New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    They dont actually connect to eachother. They basically resemble the exact same characters but progress in different eras. Or time frames. Each one has a different storyline. The thing Capcom did was just keep the tried and true method if it works why mess it up or come up with something that wont work? Personally I liked the BOFIII better because the story was superb. If you play it more than 3 times you will fall in love which is what I have done.
    edited February 2003
    Alright, I hate to admit it, but I'm pretty disappointed. I've loved the past installments (see above post) but BOF5 is just not that good. I don't like the dungeon intensive gameplay, and the plot (what little there is) is pretty flat. The SOL system just doesn't do it for me, and the game time limit given by the D-counter makes it difficult to enjoy the game on the most basic level.

OK, maybe my high hopes for the game have made me a little harsh on it. This is, after all, only my first play through. Perhaps I'll warm up to it a bit the second time I play it. (which is usually the case)