If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Disabling Signature/Avatars

flamethrowerflamethrower MemberFull Members
edited October 2008 in Site & Forum Support
I was wondering if a feature can be added that lets users optionally disable signatures and/or avatars.

Comments

• DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I second the motion!
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Requesting a feature that makes signatures ten times bigger and flash neon colours.

Ahhh, I'm getting sick of mine. may join the no-sig brigade. Is big decision.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty down with this movement. I think Sigs are lame.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    This is an interesting phenomenon that I hadn't considered before the board change. In fact, I'd never even heard that there were objections to the avatar/signature feature. May I ask, in specific, what the reasoning is for ignoring them? Is it just for screen space? Are there particular users' avatars that you find annoying or distasteful?

To me, an avatar is a quick way for me to see who's posting without having to check the user name; I can see a user's avatar out of my peripheral vision while reading the post.

That said, I don't have a problem with such an optional feature, if it were able to be implemented. However, I believe there are more pressing board matters for the development team to attend to currently.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
    edited October 2008
    I don't care about the avatar thing, obviously. But the signature thing is kind of annoying. It was easier to ignore on the other board because the font used was tiny and I could skim past them easily. But on this board the fonts are big and obnoxious.

However, pics are easy for me to kill. I just use adblock if I find a sig or an avatar that I don't like. That's not a big deal.
    edited October 2008
    Avatars are fine with me, I just find sigs unnecessary and cluttering.
  • SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I'm interested in this idea for another reason; as a sig maker, I'm curious as to whether there's anything I can do with sigs I make to make them less annoying for other members. Of course I'm still going to try and conform to people's requests, but at the same time, I could probably help make signatures less annoying if people have particular objections.
    Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.
  • Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited October 2008
    Doesn't look like it's an option in the settings, sorry.
    179811.png
    edited October 2008
    Can you at least reduce the font size in the sigs? It's massive.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited October 2008
    My signature image has been resized automatically to be smaller than its original size of about 400 pixels in width. Is there a reason for this? I simply pasted the code from MyGamerCard.net as is so I don't understand why it has been resized. Can this be fixed?
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited October 2008
    Quote: wrote:
    "And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
    "It's a lot more complicated than that--"
    "No. It ain't. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they're getting worried that they won't like the truth. People as things, that's where it starts."
    "Oh, I'm sure there are worse crimes--"
    "But they starts with thinking about people as things..."

--Granny Weatherwax and Mightily Oats
    Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum
    This signature thing is getting out of hand. That above is in someones sig area. It's huge. Please please please put a cap on how many characters can be used in a sig or something. This is completely unnecessary. Next thing we'll see is whole pages from books translated into sigs.

Edit: To put this in a little bit of perspective, That sig is longer then this entire post with the edit.

• CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    *raises hand* Guilty as charged. Sorry, I realized I didn't have a signature on this board and copy/pasted it from another board I belong to where big signatures are de rigeur (mine is pretty small compared to some of them, which include entire song lyrics).

I did check how it looked... on my screen, there's a giant space between the bottom of a post and the next post. My signature actually fit right into it without making that space any bigger, which is why I didn't feel bad putting it in. However, now that I know it bugs people I've removed it.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited October 2008
    The only thing that really bothers me about signatures is that with the current skin there is no way of telling where a post ends and a signature begins.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    There's a faint line, but it's really not enough. Hopefully we can bring in something more absolute in the RPGamer-coloured skin.
    edited October 2008
    (mine is pretty small compared to some of them, which include entire song lyrics)
    Sounds absolutely ridiculous.
    edited October 2008
    Well, the signature font size is pretty small, and people can turn off sigs if they don't like them. On my resolution the posts on that board are pretty much just as big as the posts on this one, even with the giant sigs. Like I said, to me this board has a ton of empty space between the bottom of one's post and the bottom of the actual post table cell.
    edited October 2008
    Well still, Thanks for dropping the other.
    edited October 2008
    Okay, as a sort of compromise/stopgap measure, we're formulating a new set of forum rules that will reduce the allowable lines of text for signatures.

If anyone has any input on that matter, please post it here or PM me.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
    edited October 2008
    Some of the other boards I go to say something like signatures can't exceed like 120 pixels in height. That includes text AND pictures.
    edited October 2008
    I don't get that though. I'm still confused by the sheer amount of empty space between post and end of table cell.

Take a look at this image. This is how the boards look to me. A signature 250 or more pixels high wouldn't add a single pixel to the height of any given post.

Hmm... OK, actually, I can see how it would happen; if your own post is very large then it would stretch the post height. But most posts aren't.

I personally like the variety of signatures that can impart a lot of different information. It gives people more space to distinguish themselves and make themselves stand out. Like I said, turning off sigs has been around on my other forum for years precisely due to this issue and we haven't heard a peep in that long.

I'm not going to make a huge deal out of this but I wanted to bring my perspective to it.
    edited October 2008
    To address the concerns of both parties here, I will flat-out tell you we're not doing away with sigs (at least not during my tenure here). What we are doing is revising the rules for this new version of the forum to match with the spirit of the rules for the old version of the forum.

The old sig rules were established to limit exactly what people are complaining about here: overly-lengthy posts. Those old rules worked fine for the old board; however, in light of the increased sig text size (something which it seems cannot be fixed) on these new boards, we have to alter the sig limits.

In this way, we keep the individuality and informative nature of sigs, without sacrificing too much in terms of readability.

We're working on a solution. Please be patient.
    edited October 2008
    Sorry, I wish to clarify... I don't think anybody was ever advocating removing sigs completely. But I think it's reasonable to add a user configuration option to hide all signatures if each user so desires. Like I said, we did so on my other board and it allows those who want to expand their sigs to do so and those who are annoyed by it to hide them.