If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dragon Quest IV

Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere PurrRPGamer Staff
edited December 2008 in Staff Review Blogs
I approach the game with some trepidation. I've always liked the DQ series, but the only one I've ever been able to beat is the first one, way back on the NES. I've owned a couple of the Monster games, the 1&2 remake for GBA, 7 and 8 yet generally because of sheer length I've found I cannot tackle them well. However, I'm under the impression this one's length is a little more manageable, so I'll give it a shot.

I name my character Paws, and opt for a female, but <s>she looks rather stupid</s> I don't care for the visuals, so I reset and opt for the male instead. I meet my childhood friend who plays a trick on me, and it's hinted I'm in for something big as an adult, but this is only a teaser to set up later adventures, so the prologue is over.

Chapter 1 places me in a castle of Scottish folk, complete with accent and slang. It turns out my much-abused love of historical romances comes in handy after all, as I had absolutely no problems understanding anything said. I'm surprised nobody yelled any quaint phrases like "Haud yer wheest!" but I suppose it would be lost on most people. Knowing this was a Dragon Quest game, I wandered outside after speaking with the townsfolk and set to grinding until dark. I was caught away from the castle and nearly flattened by a tree stump, but I managed to pull through and crawled back to town with a measley 5 HP, but now level 3 and with enough gold to buy some armour upgrades. I rest a night, make some purchases, and off I go to the next town. I'm definitely liking how night and day is actually tied right into the storyline; it makes it more then just a cosmetic effect. I head out to a secret hideout for children and find my first companion, a slime by the name of Healie; shouldn't be tough to figure out what she does.

Another round of equipment upgrades and I'm off to the tower. Though I'm hesitant to use up Healie's resources, I explore the tower thoroughly and am rewarded with an incredibly nice sword. I then go to free the children, which I'm able to do with panache (and then I put down the panache). The chapter ends with the king rewarding my hero with enough experience to reach level 15.

Looking forward to chapter 2.

Comments

• SundoulosSundoulos Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    <div>
    (Paws @ Sep. 30 2008,10:30)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">It turns out my much-abused love of historical romances comes in handy after all, as I had absolutely no problems understanding anything said.</div>
    Great! Karin loves these, too.

Maybe I should ask her to translate.
    Monster Hunter Tri ID: N49H18
    Monster Hunter Name: Sundolos
    Region: North America
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2008
    If she's ever read anything from the Karen Marie Moning Highlander series, she should recognize the cadent immediately. If not, tell her they come highly recommended and she should pick them up!

As a side note, can anyone in the US check their game for me? I'd like to know if it's spelled armour or armor, defence or defense. My game has proper English, wondering if the US one does as well.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited September 2008
    It does, just like Dragon Quest VIII.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited October 2008
    Two 8-hour car rides means ample opportunity to play more Dragon Quest.

I entered into Chapter 2 before the trip began, but silly me I tossed my DS into my backpack without using a quicksave and it bumped itself off. Bah sad.gif Redo the second chapter content I've lost. It's a great chapter and I feel like I really bond with the characters, but I actually got stuck at one point. I had to wait until I had signal (driving through mountain passes) and I called up Mikel who gave me a suggestion that put me on the right track. I had overlooked speaking with one NPC in town blush.gif

On to chapter 3, which I really did adore. It's so unusual for RPGs to take this sort of approach and it was more fun then I'd expected it to be. Running a shop was very satisfying and bringing items home to my wife to sell was pretty cool. I ventured into the tunnel and completed the chapter with about 10 hours on my clock; the amount of time spent lost in Chapter 2 has definitely increased my play time.

I've opened chapter 4 and after perusing the local wares have decided my first purchase will a Divine Dagger for the weaker of the two sisters. Time to jump outside and make some gold.
  • lordyuanshulordyuanshu Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Sell that Dancer's Costume for 300 Gold right away smile.gif I think a Silk Robe is in Laissez Fayre anyway.
  • Psycho PenguinPsycho Penguin Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Just so you know, you don't carry gold over after chapters, so feel free to blow it all beforehand. This comes in handy around chapter 3, I believe.
  • lordyuanshulordyuanshu Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Ya maxing Torneko's inventory is nice. Especially now that you have to pay 35000 Gold instead of 15000 gold for the Metal Babble Armor / Liquid Metal Armour.
    edited October 2008
    It's quite apparent that you don't carry over gold by the fourth chapter tounge2.gif I left Chapter 2 with very little gold, having loaded up on 20-some herbs and the best equipment I could find/buy. Torneko had more thanks to shop profits.

I did pick up the Silk Robe but hadn't sold the Dancer's Outfit yet. I'll have to do so. Thanks for the suggestion smile.gif
  • Psycho PenguinPsycho Penguin Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I mean you don't get any of the gold back when they rejoin you in chapter 5. tounge2.gif
    edited October 2008
    Ah, I get what you mean now, sorry. I kinda assumed that it'd be toast, since otherwise you could pimp out way too fast in the final chapter.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Paws, do you actually intend to play this game to completion or give up on it in the middle like I've seen you tend to do with many other RPGs? Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not so sure that's how the founder of Points of View, of all people, should go about playing RPGs...
    edited October 2008
    One, I wouldn't blog about it if I didn't intend to finish it.
    Two, I just came back from a month away from the site, and the only work I was doing while I was gone was these blogs.
    Three, tied to that point I've been particularly busy, including but not limited to a week's forced bed rest and a trip to see relatives I hadn't seen in nearly fifteen years. I also picked up a new job and will have to work for RPGamer around my employed hours, as usual.
    Four, with a review up and at minimum one more on the way, scrabbling to find time amongst everything else I've been doing has not been a high priority.
    Five, for anyone else interested I write the blog outside the site first as a point-form list and then post it when it's been fully written out. I won't update without a minimum of points -- in this case I won't have much to say until the current chapter is completed.

tl;dr: Yes, it will be completed.
    edited November 2008
    Encouraged by several friends that Chapter 4 was both "easy" and "short" I plunged ahead without much preparation and quickly ate death. My second party wipe, bummer. Went back and travelled through the chapter a little more conservatively and now I'm chugging along. Not quite sure what this lamp does yet, but I have a good idea -- and I'm so not rubbing it.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited November 2008
    the lamp only turn day into night, quite useful when you want to do something in the night in a city!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    edited November 2008
    Things that are fun:
    -Turning night to day
    -Silencing enemies
    -Agreeing with friends fake French accents are bad. So are awful L
  • Green NuGreen Nu Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Against my better judgment, I started this a couple of days ago. I needed a handheld game to play anyway. Dragon Quest feels like the perfect handheld RPG, especially how it is handled in this remake. I can just grind up a few levels, or enough to purchase some armor, and quit. Good for when I'm at work (though work is busy lately, but when it dies down).
    You must gather your party before venturing forth
  • DariaDaria New Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Chapter games are indeed best for handheld gaming. Every thing's divided up into nice easy to chew bits of gaming. That said I really enjoyed playing through this remake, Chapter 3 has always been my favorite. I worked part time in the shop much longer that I had any reason so, especially considering the tedious nature of the task. But I had fun, and the increased item drop was especially rewarding.

The only thing I was disappointed by was the township. It was more rewarding finding the randomized townies in DQ7 than following the scavenger clues at precise sections of the game. In the end everyone's town looks exactly the same unless you have friends to trade unique townies with (and I don't). So that pretty much blew. I'm still grinding for chapter 6, but I pretty much consider the game beaten by this point. Yay for me.
    edited December 2008
    Chapter games are indeed best for handheld gaming. Every thing's divided up into nice easy to chew bits of gaming. That said I really enjoyed playing through this remake, Chapter 3 has always been my favorite. I worked part time in the shop much longer that I had any reason so, especially considering the tedious nature of the task. But I had fun, and the increased item drop was especially rewarding.

The only thing I was disappointed by was the township. It was more rewarding finding the randomized townies in DQ7 than following the scavenger clues at precise sections of the game. In the end everyone's town looks exactly the same unless you have friends to trade unique townies with (and I don't). So that pretty much blew. I'm still grinding for chapter 6, but I pretty much consider the game beaten by this point. Yay for me.
    Chapter 3 was very fun. I had heard of Torneko before, but didn't know what the fuss was about. Playing as a character on the other side of the shop counter is a new experience which I enjoyed, and I dare say is genius.
  • DariaDaria New Member Full Members
    edited December 2008

Chapter 3 was very fun. I had heard of Torneko before, but didn't know what the fuss was about. Playing as a character on the other side of the shop counter is a new experience which I enjoyed, and I dare say is genius.
    In that case you may enjoy Rainbow Silkroad. It's a (translated) famicom RPG by the same people who made Harvest Moon. You play as a merchant who has to travel across asia trading goods. You're never behind the counter like DQ4, but the entire game centers around increasing your wealth and expanding your caravan.

edited December 2008
    Sounds interesting, I'll try it out if I get a chance. I mostly think it was cool to put that into a traditional RPG series to give players a view of what the merchant's life is like (though Torneko is no ordinary merchant).