If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Editorials - Making a Comeback

Joseph WithamJoseph Witham MemberFull Members
edited March 2003 in Latest Updates
Today's column sports several interesting articles. ?Feel free to send in rebuttals or new ideas, if you have any.

If you can't think of anything, here are some ideas:
Xenosaga: A game or a movie?
Online RPGs: Do they belong on consoles?
Should PC-style and console-style RPGs ever mix?
Remakes: Do we want updated new games or new, original titles?
Square-Enix: What are your projections for the future of this company?
Should the Legend of Zelda series really be considered RPGs?
Or anything else you can think of as long as it involves RPGs.

Read the column here.

Comments

• djgoku76djgoku76 Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Remakes: Bring back the classics....

I remember when I first played Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy on the NES. I was really excited to play these games, because I loved to play RPG games. I started to play RPG's in the era of pencil and paper RPG's, like D&D and Superheroes. Now to see the characters somewhat animated was really big back in those days. Now a days, it is mostly movie-style RPG's, where you control the characters through a beautiful environment. In a weird sense, we lost ourselves in the worlds. But that was just like we felt we we were playing the paper and pencil games. And in a weird sense, we have forgotten our roots.

Thankful some people want us to remember our roots. Squaresoft has brought back some of those classic RPG's of old, in the form of collections. Final Fantasy Anthology gave us a chance to not only see the ever-popular Final Fantasy 3 for SNES(6 in Japan), but to see a translated version of Final Fantasy 5. Then, they brought out Final Fantasy Chronicles, which included Final Fantasy 2(4 in Japan) and the widely popular Chrono Trigger. Now, we are posed for the newest or should I say oldest of the collections: Final Fantasy Origins. This collection includes Final Fantasy, the "origin" of the popular series, and Final Fantasy 2, the game which never made to U.S. soil, except if you owned a Famicom and can read Japanese, or emulated version of it on your PC. I will admit that these game will not be in there original format, but look more like something you would have played on an SNES.

I hope that other companies follow Squaresoft's lead to bring back the classics in a collection form for the modern game consoles. In fact, I can tell you what classics I'd like to see brought back: Ogre Battle series, Dragon Warrior series, Ultima series, Wizardry series. There are some out there that I can't remember, but I am sure that people want to see brought back and remixed or remade.
    edited March 2003
    The Square/Enix Merger

Seperately these two companies made millions and millions each year, and each had their signature game representing the companies: Final Fantasy series for Square, and Dragon Warrior for Enix. I actually sat down one day a long time ago, and thought of what would it be like of these two ever merged into one mega company. Now that reality is only a week or two away.

I feel that they will make almost double the money that each as a single entity made. Both companies have alot of popular games out in the market today, and alot of loyal fans. As they merger, I hope that we see things that only we could have imaged back in the days. Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior characters working side by side in battle..... Tornako riding Chocobo in a dungeon exploring RPG.... A tactical style Dragon Warrior.... But with all this hope, we can't go too far with the games.

Final Fantasy got a little too futuristic for me these days. I remember the first 5 games being fantasy style, fighting dragons with swords and shields.... but Final Fantasy 6 took a step toward the future.... Then Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 8.... Final Fantasy 9 brought us back to the fantasy style again. But Final Fantasy X went way too far into the future for my tastes. Don't get me wrong... The games are all great, but it's weird to get use to characters who use to fight with swords and shields, trade them in for a lazer rifle and a spaceship...

As for the Dragon Warrior/Quest series: They need to do the same thing that they did with the Final Fantasy series, and bring back the classic games in a few collections. I know that they did on the Gameboy, but it doesn't have that same appeal to people, if there are no extras, like a option to make the game harder or a monster encyclopedia that you earn by fighting monsters in the game. Dragon Warrior 5 and 6 really never made it state-side, except via a Famicom or a really bad emulated version of it on the PC. Those games I'd like to see remade into collections. How about remixing the first 4 Dragon Warrior/Quest games, like Square did with Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy 2.

There are alot of other games that each company has out in the market that I'd like to see brought back. Ogre Battle was originally a Enix game, and we've seen March of the Black Queen, which apparently was the 4th Chapter in the series... What happened to the first three stories? Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber and Tactics Ogre remade or mixed onto a console like a PS2 or Gamecube... ?Remakes of some SNES games, like Brainlord and Actraiser....

The merger of the two companies have so many different possilbilities.... Even new and original games, each with a touch from both companies. Looks like sunny days are ahead for this new company. Good luck, SquareEnix!!!

• The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    *ahem*... I think the whole idea was to get people to submit an editorial, not post them here... wink.gif
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Yeah, that was the impression I got, too.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Well, maybe these are rough drafts that will be finalized for submissions. biggrin.gif

After all, the posts on the boards are never set in stone, but an editorial post made into a file is (so to speak wink.gif. It'll also get a lot more attention than left here on the board.

I encourage both long-winded posters to submit to the new editorials. :>
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited March 2003
    Ok, exactly where do I submit my "rough" drafts???

Thank you, FireMyst... You are right about one thing.... Posting things here on the message board would get a little more attention than a editorial.... And we are allowed to change our opinion on here than after submitting a post....

• Joseph WithamJoseph Witham Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Actually, djgoku76, it'd be best if you submitted your final copies to RPGamer after the rough drafts have been looked over. ?The board is certainly a good place to get the grammar/spelling errors taken care of. ?Once you're ready to submit an official editorial, send it to alethea@rpgamer.com in the body of your email.

• AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Great...now my poor inbox has to brace itself for an onslaught of editorials. tounge.gif

OK, everyone...if you are submitting editorials for next week, and they are in html, please zip them using WinZip because my email goes through a Yahoo account, and Yahoo, for some reason, loves to chew on attached html so that it absolutely cannot be downloaded no matter what little link or button I click on. WinZip will provide a protective, foul-tasting coating that will deter Yahoo from nibbling on your opinions. ?biggrin.gif