If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Namco Prepares Tales of Phantasia GBA Port

AletheaAlethea MemberFull Members
edited March 2003 in Latest Updates
Maybe you imported the original, or you played the fan-translated ROM...in either case, the GBA port of Tales of Phantasia should be something to look forward to. Hopefully, North America will actually get the game this time.

Namco Prepares Tales of Phantasia GBA Port

Comments

• MithrandirMithrandir Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Woo hoo! Tales of Phantasia is one of my favorite roms, and I've wanted Namco to port it to GBA for some time now. They BETTER bring it over to America. Or I'll . . . well, there's not much I can do, aside from whine about it. But yeah, it would be great if they did.
  • aldarynaldaryn Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    i think with the huge success of all the ports coming over to the GBA, Namco HAS to see the potential of releasing this game over in the U.S. if they don't, i'll be very very angry. sad.gif seriously though, the GBA is the best system out right now. so many great new RPG's have come out for it, not to mention all of the classics to boot, and its games of other genres are wide and excellent (I personally can't put down street fighter alpha 3 and would like to pick up mega man & bass...)
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    About time. It was supposed to be released December '02. But what's important is that they do a good job.

I'm surprised it'll be a port.... I figured it'd be more of an actual remake....

It'll probably have a few updates though. Isn't it supposed to have a new LMB? It should be a four-person version of the Narikiri Dungeon 2 engine....

I hope the don't use the ND2 sprites... o_O
  • nunuununuu Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Well, Namco US has done a good job resisting a ToP release so far. I dunno how sales went for Tales of Destiny and Eternia. But seeing that they even released Eternia is a sign that Namco deems it okei to let the Western world in on the wonders of the Tales of series.

Strange how they haven't released any of the other ones either though. =|

I dunno. Overall, I just give Namco the benefit of the doubt.
    edited March 2003
    ToD and ToD2e sold horribly in the US.... I don't think this'll be released, but I think it has a better chance than the others.

Anyway, here's a fresh screenshot:

030320-01.gif

I'll go put more news in my Tales topic in the Console RPG forum....
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2003
    tales of phantasia is an excellent game(very similiar to tales of destiny).count my vote for american release....and i have to agree,the GBA is the best system out there(when they release the gamecube converter so i dont have to look at this tiny screen).shining soul this month then lufia the next....
  • Options
    edited March 2003
    If they do release it stateside, they might take out the voice acting... Ubi Soft did it to Lunar Legend, I think. If they don't bring it, maybe Dejap or someone else could release a patch for the eventual ROM.

Yes, we do have a rule against petitions.

• nunuununuu Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cyllya @ Mar. 19 2003,21:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"ToD and ToD2e sold horribly in the US.... I don't think this'll be released, but I think it has a better chance than the others.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You have a good point seeing that the game is already known and pretty much has a cult following.

Me, I'm seriously considering importing this thing.

Oh wait. TOT ?It's ... a port of the PS version, isn't it? ?Hirm ... then I'll just wait for the Stateside release. ^____^

*whistles and wonders over to the thread in the console forum*
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    I really liked Tales of Phantasia and would love to see it brought over, but I never sign petitions publishers don't care about them.
  • djgoku76djgoku76 Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    You know... They seriously need to consider that some of us console owner would like some of these games..... As a PS2, Gamecube and XBox owner, I am serious disappointed that alot of these RPG games of the good old days are ending up on a handheld unit..... Not that I am knocking the Gameboy Advance.... But it seems very apparent that we may not see good titles like Tales of Phantasia, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Lufia 1 and 2, Golden Sun, or any other old school RPG's on a PS2 or Gamecube.... And the likelyhood of any one of these making an XBox appearance is about as much as some hitting the lottery or gettin stuck by lightning..... I really hope they consider remaking some of these titles for the major homes systems..... Follow Squaresoft's lead and put them into collections....

Can't wait till Final Fantasy Origins arrives!!!!
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Well, there's a lot of things to consider in what you're asking for. Firstly, the ease of porting old SNES games to the GBA is a huge factor when companies decide what to do. There's a big difference from taking a game and making it suitable for the GBA and rewriting a huge portion of the game for a system it was never meant to run on. This would apply to the Breath of Fire games, and Capcom probably thinks they have better games to eithe remake, or make for the first time on newer systems -- and they're probably right.

Secondly, there was already a PSX rerelease of ToP. Releasing it again with little to no upgrades (i.e. a straight port) to the PS2 would be pointless; they may as well just print more copies of the original port. You could argue that Namco could translate that version and bring it to North America, and yes, they could do that. They also could have done it years ago, and still haven't.

Thirdly, I think there's a strong possibility of seeing further Golden Sun games made on the GameCube, probably with connectivity to future GBA games built-in. But you have to understand -- it's cheaper and easier to make GBA games than it is to make GC games, not to mention there's a larger audience for GBA games anyway. Chances are, Golden Sun was a partially completed SNES game, abandoned when the SNES died. If so, then it would take even less effort to complete it for the GBA, since development would already have been partially completed.

To my knowledge, Lufia 1 & 2 were never discussed in terms of being remade or ported to any other system, but the Lufia series has never strayed from its simple(er) hardware roots. Two games released on the SNES and one released on the GBC shows this. Bringing the fourth game to the GBA was an easy and logical choice, and I think more people like the idea of a series not being "next-generationalized" more than anything.

In short, people want more new games on new systems, not rehashes of older ones. If the games can play just as well on the GBA (if not better) than the newest systems, then I'm all for them staying there.
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Mar. 21 2003,14:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"In short, people want more new games on new systems, not rehashes of older ones. If the games can play just as well on the GBA (if not better) than the newest systems, then I'm all for them staying there.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    While I agree that people want "new" games on the new systems, I can't help but to wonder if companies couldn't benefit from compressing multiple original classics on DVDs and CDs for use on these Next Gen systems. I guess these developers and publishers have to make a choice of going handheld, or next-gen(in the form of compilations/anthologies)

While I am not fond of handhelds due to their resolution and playability issues, I am glad that these classic style games are at least becoming available again, a plus for those who may have missed games of this nature the first time around.
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"They seriously need to consider that some of us console owner would like some of these games.....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Most of those games are already on a console. If you don't have the right console, go buy one somewhere.... You can get nice SNESs on eBay, iirc..... I still have mine from the SNES era. *has poor, poor SFC-version Tales of Phantasia shoved awkwardly into it*

But in ToP's case, you don't need to buy anything new, because, like LordBrian said, you can just play it on your PS2. (I have a feeling the new ToP won't be as good as the PSX version anyway.)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"As a PS2, Gamecube and XBox owner, I am serious disappointed that alot of these RPG games of the good old days are ending up on a handheld unit.....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I have trouble believing that you can obtain all three of the big consoles but can't afford a GBA, but a lot of people buy only a GBA though because they can't afford to buy any of the consoles.... (It took me until last August to finally get my hands on a PSX due to money.)

But there are a lot of nice games coming out for your consoles.... Since you're interested in ToP, I assume you like the series and don't mind imports too badly.... There's Tales of Destiny 2 (J) for the PS2 and come July, Tales of Symphonia for GameCube.

Apparently, there's some other PS2 Tales with the ingenious title of Tales of Dot-Dot-Dot, with absolutely no info what-so-ever save that it was supposed to be announced last summer... o_O; Somebody got it mixed up with ToD2j, if you ask me.... But there will probably be at least one more PS2 before the system's death....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh wait. TOT It's ... a port of the PS version, isn't it?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Eh... supposedly.... It has some PSX graphics, some SNES graphics, and apparently some "extras" that Namco is keeping a secret for now.
  • Level255_BubblunLevel255_Bubblun New Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Wonder if it'll have the main theme (especially) and voices... It may be a GBA, but... eh... who knows? It just wouldn't seem ToP enough without Yume Wa Owaranai (no matter how downsampled, even the SuFami version was good for me) blasting through your earbuds/GBA/GBASP speakers... eheh... or would it?

When it's released, it's import time! Even if it'll be anywhere from 0-10$ more expensive than the US release... call me crazy. 'Least I'd get the original voice clips, song, and whatnot (if applicable), and whatever might get cut out/censored/edited for content (i.e. any Japanese puns removed) in localization. And if it's not released in the States, then would it matter then?

Even so, I'm still for a release... we need a quality console RPG here in the States, something that isn't FF/FF Spinoff Game Number 3143, something that isn't Catch 'Em All/Collect Them Cards... and the uneducated will finally know where the series began. Even if only on their GBAs.