If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

FF Origins Preview

LaoKLaoK MemberFull Members
edited April 2003 in Latest Updates
The Preview this week is an exception to the rule of thumb that remakes don't get previews, but it has its own gamepage, so I thought, mmmm, muffins are good. While I was distracted I wrote this preview. Sorry it came so late, especially for our European readers. But hey, our Japanese readers have to put up with the lateness all the time, so don't complain.

Comments

• djgoku76djgoku76 Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Brilliant.... Absolutely Brillant..... Now that Enix will join forces with Squaresoft on April 1st.... Maybe we will see Dragon Quest/Warrior collections from the new company.....

Final Fantasy Origins revives our love of the classic RPG's.... Final Fantasy for NES was the starting point for the Final Fantasy series.... And Final Fantasy 2 was never released here in the U.S., except via Famicom owners or a poorly emulated version on the PC.... So, we will see it here FINALLY....

And both games get a 16-bit SNES look to them... Which I thought was different... But I wished there was an option to play the games as they originally looked.... Kinda like something you earn by beating the games......

Can't wait till April 8th.....
  • Options
    edited March 2003
    Can anyone who has imported the Japanese version tell us if FFO suffers from the same slow down and horrible load times that plauged FFA and FFC?
  • WeekendRisktakerWeekendRisktaker Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    I'm more interested in whether or not they 'fixed' the problems with FF2's stat-up system. The one where you could, and would, lose points in a particular stat if you exercised the opposite stat too much? I remember someone telling me that this particular aspect was taken out of the WSC version, would just like a confirmation on the PSX one.
  • VargasVargas Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Can anyone who has imported the Japanese version tell us if FFO suffers from the same slow down and horrible load times that plauged FFA and FFC? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The worst lag occurence is that it takes an entire 3 seconds to load up the menu in Chrono Trigger... Gripe. ?At least FFC had a bit better translation and proofreading than FFA. ?(Boo, FFVI! ?Boo, FFV! ?"Yessssss!", my a**! )

Dude, this looks so bittersweet.
    I love the new look. ?However, it seems like they've fiddled with the game mechanics, according to the screenshots. ?I'm not sure how I feel about that... On one hand, I would've liked to play the first game as it was before, but on the other hand, it sure would be nice to not have such limited inventory space as there was in the original. ?I always hated having to chuck so much fun equipment. ?It's good that they changed Fade back to Holy, but what the heck is Dia supposed to mean?!
    Finally, why are they crystals instead of orbs?! ?If they weren't orbs in the original version, they wouldn't have been round! ?*scoff!*

*Edit: Argh! Emoticons invading my parantheses once again! Have at ye!*

• little tigerlittle tiger Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vargas @ Mar. 25 2003,06:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The worst lag occurence is that it takes an entire 3 seconds to load up the menu in Chrono Trigger... Gripe. At least FFC had a bit better translation and proofreading than FFA. (Boo, FFVI! Boo, FFV! "Yessssss!", my a**! )[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yup, those were definitely the worst things about the remakes-- loading time and crappy translations. Oh well.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Finally, why are they crystals instead of orbs?! If they weren't orbs in the original version, they wouldn't have been round! *scoff!*[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Maybe they're... Crystal Orbs? (Sorry, ORBS.) I hope my WARRIORS can still revive their Power. My guess is, since every other FF has Crystals, they changed it from ORBS because otherwise it would confuse emulator-deprived gamers.

Has the 'Invisible Woman' bug in Coneria been fixed, by the way?
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2003
    i have owned ff1+ff2 since they first came out .im so happy to see 2 finally in english.ff2 and ff3 are very underated since almost no one has played them before.the upgrade is welcomed(just as long as its not too much)but playing the original would be the best...i guess ill just have to pull out the old famicom...hew!
  • theavengtheaveng Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vargas @ Mar. 25 2003,06:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Can anyone who has imported the Japanese version tell us if FFO suffers from the same slow down and horrible load times that plauged FFA and FFC? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The worst lag occurence is that it takes an entire 3 seconds to load up the menu in Chrono Trigger... Gripe. ?At least FFC had a bit better translation and proofreading than FFA. ?(Boo, FFVI! ?Boo, FFV! ?"Yessssss!", my a**! )[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I thought the Final Fantasy Anthology translation was far more accurate than Super Nintendo's FF3 translation?

As for loading times, I have a PS2 with "Fast Load" enabled which makes the loading times transparent. They only time I noticed any slowdown was during the Summons attacks.
  • Options
    edited March 2003
    hee hee hee I got FF ORIGINS! hoorya for living in UK (for once,,,)
    PS, it rocks
  • Options
    edited March 2003
    oh and in answer to your questions about slow down, the battle integration is amazing in FF1, just a flash and there you are in the battle! havent playe dmuch of II yet but the battles are also very well intergrated! The graphics are excellent! better even that FF6. I`m most impressed myself, and the FMV is just as good as FF8 if not better!
  • Options
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Now that Enix will join forces with Squaresoft on April 1st[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Wouldn't it just be great if it all turned out ot be one great, big, elaborate April Fool's joke? laugh.gif
  • TIDUSBLITZABESXTIDUSBLITZABESX Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2003
    No it is absolutely true! Square has Joined Enix. As listed in the gaming Magazines long before April. Only they did not merge on April 1st lol. Though if you notice FFX-2 it shows the maker being Square Enix. Since I like both companies I am definately excited for Final fantasy Origins! Keep em commin!