If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice

Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified PolygameistRPGamer Staff
edited May 2009 in Staff Review Blogs
disgaea3.gif

Game Title: Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
System: Playstation 3
MSRP: $49.99
Release Date: Released in 2008
Description:
Quote: wrote:
With high-definition graphics, including beautiful high-res 2D sprite art and stunning spell effects, one of the most highly-acclaimed and beloved strategy RPG series is making the jump to the next generation of gaming with Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice for PLAYSTATION®3. Re-enter the world of Disgaea and experience all of the humor, zany characters, thrilling action, and unmatched excitement in this all-new 100+ hour adventure!

KEYFEATURES

* Story and endings evolve as you play the game
* Geo Blocks introduces a real 3 dimensional battle system to a SRPG
* Over 270 customizable characters
* “Class World” adds 40 battle stages per character. 40x270=10800 stages!

More Info on RPGamer's Disgaea 3 page.

Personal Take: First, let me start off by saying, I really, really hope this game doesn't take me 100 hours as advertised above. 100 hours is a really long time! smile.gif Anyway, my feelings towards Disgaea, and various other Nippon Ichi games of this type, is certainly a love/hate relationship. Like most people, I started with Disgaea. I enjoyed the deep item customization system, character growth system, and even the zany Geo panel dealies. Even more then that, I really liked the story and characters. What I didn't like, was the games propensity to find more and more ways to make you grind. I gave up playing at one point because, towards the end, the level of the mobs shot up suddenly, which would mean I would need to grind. I had already done some grinding making star mages and what not, and didn't feel like doing more. I eventually returned to the game, and talked to the jury to make the game easier so I could get past the leveling issue(In a way, I felt like I was cheating, but this is Disgaea we're talking about). I was glad I did, because I enjoyed the story so much. Disgaea was one of the few games to make me laugh. What is scarry, IMHO, is that there are probably people out there who are still working hard to grind up to level 9999 (or whatever the cap is in that game).

Anyway, I've also played several of the other Nippon Ichi games, playing one to completion. They were totally hit or miss for me. I agree with 7th's review of Soul Nomad, for example, which I found particularly disappointing. It looks like Ogre Battle, but somehow missed out on strategy.

So, all of this to essentially say you can expect a non-biased review of Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice as I play through it smile.gif I was surprised to find this game had not been reviewed by our team just yet, and being the new reviewer on staff (eager to please and all of that) I volunteered. So, let's take another plunge into the wacky world of Nippon Ichi!

03.03.09 I only got to play for about an hour (Too much Dokapon today). Seems this has to do with a dude in a demon school where being bad is good and being good is bad. Hmmm... I'm not sure if this is good or bad! Played a battle or two... already feels like the first game of the series. Wow..what's up with these SNES sprites on HD backgrounds? Anyway, the proof is in the pudding...err...I mean the gameplay, and it will take a lot more time to get a good feel for how good/bad that is!

03.06.09 I'm into the 2nd chapter now. For the moment, I'm beating the boards pretty quickly, which means I get a lot of story faster. And, I must say, this story thus far is pretty darn funny. I can't say yet whether it takes takes it to the next level above the first, but it makes me laugh. There's a lot of self references and even references to actual game mechanics <span class="spoiler">For example, the main character mentions how sweet it would be if he beat the final boss in the final chapter ending the game that quickly. It was quite funny the way he said it!</span> Combat thus far is typical for the series, but I haven't gotten to the part where I'm sure I'm going to have to do serious level, item, etc., grinding. I'm curious as to whether these new mechanics are substantial changes or more of the same.

03.09.092nd chapter is taking me longer than expected... first, because there are a number of tutorial boards you have to clear here that don't really contribute to the main story. Second, I made a new character and wanted to level her up a bit in item world. The item world is very similar to the first game. The board layouts seem a little less chaotic, but not much. Sometimes there are two exits with one of them leading to a special room that does not advance the dungeon. Each of these rooms seem different. in one, I was able to pay 1000 H to fill my bonus gauge in the next room. Interesting! The story thus far continues to be silly, crazy and funny.

03.13.09 This is a great game to play while working out on the step up exercise doodad my wife bought, but never used. You can work up a good sweat within a few maps! Boy, my legs hurt. Anyway, I am chapter 3 now. I find myself considering either (a) looking into the instruction book or (b) look up GAMEFaqs to get a better understanding how some of the leveling and changing class stuff works, exactly. I haven't had to do any grinding yet, but I don't understand a few other things, such as how to change one's homeroom type. I've added a couple of students, and safely power leveled them up by getting them involved in as many combo attacks as safely possible. D3 allows you to move a character, have them participate in a combo (assuming they did not initiate the attack) and then undo the move so you can move them again (for attack, or to participate in another combo, for example). This makes it much easier to get newbies on the team up in level (It was always a challenge for me in D1).

03.18.09 Wow... the more I play this the more I realize how many new things they've added. There's so many different ways to level up your stats, classes, items, etc., it's not even funny. Just explaining one of the "Reverse Pirating" would require a PhD and another thread. Wowzers. I wonder if I'm even going to get into some of these mechanics they've added in, or just grind my way through as needed....

03.24.09 No big developments yet. I'm taking my time and grinding a bit as the mobs and the battles are getting tougher. Sometimes you can use your brain to get through stuff, but I'm too lazy for that. I just grind up a bit so I OP everything smile.gif I will say, I miss the old way of leveling up spells and skills. Paying mana points for those upgrades are just wrong.

04.01.09 I'm up to chapter four or five now. Some of these battles are really hard. Nothin' says lovin' than a bunch of gunslingers on 50% Enemy boost squares. Good times! I still love the humor in the game though. I happily grind to make my way to the next set of jokes....

04.13.09 Still hacking away! I'm almost done with chapter five. Humor of the game is still in tact. I got a lot more story characters now, which begs the question, should I even bother with own created team members? Then there's my poor healer. She just heals, which makes it hard for her to get mana points. However, no mana points means no upgrade for her spells. I hate leveling healers in these games.

04.23.09 I've been side tracked lately playing DemiGod with some friends, but I've still been plugging away. I'm almost done with chapter six. I've pretty much given up on healers, and I'm relying less and less on personally made characters and more on the story characters. I also find myself using special attacks almost exclusively. They tend to be much more powerful, have ranges, and do not leave you open to counterattack. Has anyone else found melee or regular attacks to be any better? Anyway, I usually carry some healing items into battle, but generally don't sweat it if people on my team start dying...as long as I kill off of the enemies first. I'm still liking the story, though I'm not laughing quite as much anymore.

Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!

Comments

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Hey, if you get your review posted before Mikel, I'll try to find a way to send you a cookie.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2009
    Woot!! I love cookies. I'll just have to play non stop now smile.gif
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I would pay good money for the ability to just see all the scenes in Disgaea games without having to play anything.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I would pay good money for the ability to just see all the scenes in Disgaea games without having to play anything.
    They're not on YouTube yet? Lame.

I'll send cookies too! thumbs-up.gif
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited March 2009
    You can probably beat them main game in about 30-40 hours, The real grinding come in the optional side quests and dungeons and what not. Dude!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I was begining to despair that a Disgaea 3 review would ever come to pass.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited March 2009
    I was begining to despair that a Disgaea 3 review would ever come to pass.
    Well, never fear... newbie reviewer man is here! It may take a while...especially if I have to grind like the first one...but I'll get 'er done!
  • cidsacidsa Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Good luck. I actually have the strategy guide which is VERY thick (it's very useful actually). I think it could easily take 100 hours to finish absolutely everything.
    Can you review it without doing all of the extra stuff? The Dark World is pretty hard.. XD
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, having heard about what a grindfest these games are I just got ahold of the anime instead. Definitely amusing, plus now I get prinny jokes.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Good luck. I actually have the strategy guide which is VERY thick (it's very useful actually). I think it could easily take 100 hours to finish absolutely everything.
    Can you review it without doing all of the extra stuff? The Dark World is pretty hard.. XD
    Yeah, I beat the main game in about 42 hours. I'm now at 78 hours doing the post game content, And I'm not even half done with all of it.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
    edited March 2009
    Yeah. The general requirement to review a game is that we beat it. Extra content (such as extra worlds, New Game +, unlockables, etc) is pretty much bonus if we can squeeze it in. I think if I had loads of free time, I'd enjoy doing some of the extra stuff in this Disgaea like games. However, my backlog would be very upset if I spent one more minute in it then I had to tounge2.gif
    edited April 2009
    Updated
    edited May 2009
    I'm unpinning this topic, for now, as I'm being sidetracked with another game. Hopefully I'll come back and finish this off soon. But, since FM just reviewed it, there's no rush now biggrin.gif Great job Mikel!!
This discussion has been closed.