If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XI Public Beta Test

chiapetchiapet MemberFull Members
edited April 2003 in Latest Updates
Square Enix USA is now accepting applications for the North American Public Beta Test of Final Fantasy XI.

See here for more details.

Comments

• KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    I already submitted my application. Hopefully they decide to accept my lame ass. tounge.gif If accepted, FFXI will become the first MMORPG i've ever played.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited April 2003
    I applied for the PC version, everyone else should pick the PS2 version. tounge.gif I didn't have a good internet connection for the EQOA beta and the servers were down a lot when I tried to access it. I hope I get picked for the FFXI beta, because they should have most of the bugs out since it already came out in Japan (which seems like forever ago).
  • ChocoChoco Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    watcher, I don't see why everyone else should pick the PS2 version instead of the PC version. If that was supposed to be a joke, its hilarity eluded me completely.
  • Options
    edited April 2003
    I think I've got a good chance of making it. smile.gif

I participated in beta tests for Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane and Asheron's Call 2. I played EverQuest for 3 years, and my computer and internet connection are top notch.

See you all in the beta hopefully. wink.gif
    edited April 2003
    You have to remember, PC beta tests are not reserved for the best of the best machines. They need diversity in their PCs so they can identify all of the problems, not just the problems that high end rigs would encounter.
  • NilidasNilidas New Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    The requirements for the PC version are killing me!!!...I won't be able to play with my computer... Hopefully,it seams like there will be a PS2 version too! And for the beta test, I'm really not interested to play a game which is still buged. GO! GO! GO! Others test so that there will be no more bug on the official release!
    edited April 2003
    choco seems disgruntled, usually the emote = > tounge.gif gives the lack of seriousness away. although I can always hope fewer people sign up for the PC version to better my odds.
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    I would apply for the PC version but my PC is only a
    Celeron 633 (AND SUCKS) so i'm out.
  • Options
    edited April 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You have to remember, PC beta tests are not reserved for the best of the best machines. They need diversity in their PCs so they can identify all of the problems, not just the problems that high end rigs would encounter. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm very aware of this. But for stress tests they usually pull in as many testers as they can with high system specs to run a server as close to max cap as they can. Thus I'm very likely to get in, at the very least, to a late stage of beta.
  • Options
    edited April 2003
    Choco... watcher said everyone should apply for the PS2 version because that would mean that he'd face less competition for the beta tester for the PC version...

and yea watcher... i did apply for the PS2 version.. =)
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited April 2003
    Spoon! It?s just for Canada and USA. mad.gif

by the way, I?m from Brazil (that should explain my bad english) alien.gif
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
    edited April 2003
    I'm very aware of what he was trying to say, yet the point?he was trying to make wasn't clear, thus defeating any level of humor factor I might have gotten from it.

And no, I'm not disgruntled. The lack of written emotion does not mean someone's mood is sour... thus, don't assume such things.

• XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    So, for those who manage to get on the PS2 beta-test round, does that mean that SqEx (or Sony) will send a PS2 Hard Disc Drive to test with? Either that, or they are planning to change the US version so that it doesn't need the HDD...which I assume is the way EQOA does things.

How does EQOA handle this? Is it run on servers completely separate from the PC version servers? How are updates handled?

I'd love to try for the PS2 version, but these questions still linger in my mind.
  • djgoku76djgoku76 Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    I applied for the FF XI Beta test... Just like I applied for the Earth and Beyond Beta... And the Everquest Beta.... And Star Wars Galaxies Beta.... Only got to do the Earth and Beyond beta test....

They will probably be very selective of there choice... This is of course Final Fantasy we are dealing with.....
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    I applied for the PS2 version on impluse even though I have an Athlon XP 2000 with a Geforce 4(more than enough to handle FF11). For some reason FF games look better on my PS2. The licence agreemant said something about a kit for the beta that would have to be sent back. If it has the HD in it I'd hate to send that back.

Anayway this is the only way I will get to play FF11....a few bugs never bothered me and I had Everquest Online Adventures beta 3...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • AnjelikaAnjelika Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    I wish the best of lucks to All applicants!
    Hopefully all of you will be elected!
    This is sooooooo exciting!!
    Pity I?m not anywhere in the USA
  • CyberSkullCyberSkull Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    This will be ?first beta I've ever applied for.
    <span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>(some of the games I've rented on the other hand, feel like they barely got past beta).</span>
    Sincerely,
    Your Dread Lord
    FF6-CyberSkull_Medium_Sig.gif
    Un-Certified Looney, Heretic @ Large, etc…
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid|Juravial @ April 12 2003,15:02)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm very aware of this. ?But for stress tests they usually pull in as many testers as they can with high system specs to run a server as close to max cap as they can. ?Thus I'm very likely to get in, at the very least, to a late stage of beta.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    On a properly programed Online game, the only thing the Server does is tell clients where objects are, pass messages from one client to another, and store the save files. This takes very little power on the server side. Stress tests are done by loading up the server with lots of connections, and the client specs (with the possible exception of connection speed) should never come into play.

Of course, if they're doing a stress test that involves connection speed, they're going to write a specialized program, that opens up a lot of ports using a Real OS, and attacks the heck out of the machine the server.
  • ragnarokragnarok Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    The one beta test you will always be accepted into: Ragnarok Online

Of course, they'll take your money too...

AFAIK the US versions of FFXI are not going to need the HDD.

BTW, if you've read the agreement, you'd know that whatever they send you has to be sent back at the end of the beta. So even if they sent you a HDD, you'd have to send it back at the end of the beta or risk legal action.

• Q. MulativeQ. Mulative Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2003
    I almost submitted, until I read that they'll be selling your personal information to ad companies in order to fund the beta.
  • ragnarokragnarok Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    The nice thing about roardunner: they filter spam out and virusscan your email for you. I haven't seen a viral email or piece of spam in my mailbox for ages...

Let Square sell my info... I don't care, especially if it means I don't have to pay $10+/month for a little while. If I like what I see in the beta, I'll continue to support it when it goes live...

Besides... the real annoying spam email comes from web email-catching spiders anyway...

• EldracEldrac Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    Darn it why did you have to put it here tounge.gif I dont want any more applicants...lol

BTW, ragnarok: I play RO aswell
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    ragnarok- I said I'd hate to...I never said I wouldn't do it...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • MishotakiMishotaki Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    add one for the pc version smile.gif you have less and less chances to be selected now watcher tounge.gif
    edited April 2003
    darn you Mishotaki tounge.gif

And Ragnarok, I'll let you in on a secret. If you keep whatever they send you they would most likely not go through with legal action. This is because they would be paying lawers tons of cash to get something worth no more than a hundred bucks. Besides, if they did go through with it all you'd have to do is give it back and say you forgot to or something like that.

I'm not saying you should though. I don't advise doing it because they could do other things, like ruin your reputation with major corporations. I wouldn't do it simply because I'm too darn honest. (I gotta do something about that consience tounge.gif )
  • someguywhohatesyousomeguywhohatesyou Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" If you keep whatever they send you they would most likely not go through with legal action. This is because they would be paying lawers tons of cash to get something worth no more than a hundred bucks.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Tell you what, I've seen companies start legal proceedings for far less than $100. As for the FFXI beta, I just wish I was eligble to apply (sometimes living in Australia can suck).
  • BeckoBecko New Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    So the ps2 ff11 american version is going to use the HDD or not ??
    edited April 2003
    Not, Becko. At least from what I know. But it will likely take up a sizeable amount of space on one's memory card (most patches are pretty small for quite a while, no more than 5MB total in the first year or so) . That depends on various factors of course. But since they already have a lot worked out on the Japan side, things should be okay.
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    This is all good and dandy however, I feel that they're probably going to get too many applicants than who are actually qualified. I don't think anyone who's never played a MMPORPG should apply, just because it's a Final Fantasy product. A lot of people are going to apply just because they feel they have to somehow be involved with everything that has to do with Final Fantasy, so they can brag to their friends that they were involved with Final Fantasy XI. But if they get too many people who have no idea what to do in a MMPORPG then the the potential of the FF11 world is not going to be beta tested.

Bluntly, they're going to need MMPORPG veterans who know what they're doing, not a bunch of n00b's who want to beta test a Final Fantasy product.

I think at least those who applied and think they should be accepted, but have never played a MMPORPG, should run out and play Everquest and Diablo II just to get a hang of things. Maybe even Phantasy Star Online (aka Baby's First Online RPG). Just because it has Final Fantasy in the title doesn't mean it's going to be your cup of tea.

Maybe it will just wind up like Phantasy Star Online and be incredibly easy to get into. But then again, they said it was going to be massive multi-player, which PSO wasn't really.

I hope the MMPORPG newbies all don't think they will just continue at their last save point, with all their items and gold intact, if their character gets killed...

- Elranzer
  • slapizaga_the_banditslapizaga_the_bandit Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    I'm up for the PC all the way. Hopefully, they will choose some of us higher-end users. While my system is not top of the line, I think it is more than capable of handling FFXI...or most other games that are out nowadays:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ ... OC @ 2600+
    Epox 8KHA+ 266Mhz FSB
    1.0 GB DDR 2100 RAM
    Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB RAM
    DirectX 9.0a
    Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
    80GB 7200RPM HDD
    16X DVD / 52X CD-ROM
    32X CDRW
    Windows XP Professional

biggrin.gif