If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Sacred 2: Fallen Angels - Console Version

Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy GroundRPGamer Staff
edited July 2009 in Staff Review Blogs
I've only put in about an hour so far, just getting it going, but already I can tell it's going to be an enjoyable game. A few quick things to point out, for those curious.

1) I've heard the game described as an open world RPG, which obviously brings Bethesda games to mind. Do NOT be fooled by this. The game's design has far more in common with BioWare's mechanics than Bethesda's. While the world is one continuous area, it isn't open like an Elder Scrolls game. There are roadways to follow and forests and cliffs blocking your movement, so you can't just pick a direction and start moving forward. The camera is also sort of isometric, looking down on the character from above. Very Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights.

2) The controls are terrific. You have twelve skill/attack slots - four bound to the main face buttons, and another eight that can be activated by holding the left and right triggers. Very effective for quick access. Using the D-Pad for potions isn't terrific, but it does work.

3) I very quickly came across an H2G2 reference. Score!

4) The voice acting is so, so bad. Why does a creepy, eyeless old monk sound like a warlord?

All in all, it seems like a throwback to older PC RPGs, which isn't a bad thing. The transition to console seems to work very well.

June 12, 2009

I'm really not sure how I feel about this game so far... On the one hand, the actual gameplay is surprisingly addictive. Traipsing across the match to complete quests and kill hordes of kobolds and undead is plenty of fun, and lots of loot drops to sift through and find upgrades. Likewise, character development is a lot of fun too.

I'm playing a Shadow Warrior, which is sort of like a cross between a fighter and a necromancer. I'm good in melee with a sword, but I can also summon minions to do my bidding. For this character, I'm focusing on a handful of skills: two attack skills, Demonic Blow and Frenzied Strikes (or something like that), a resurrection spell that lets me revive fallen enemies temporarily, and two buffs, one that grants me more HP and quicker regeneration, and another that summons permanent undead allies to fight with me. Normally you can only have one active buff, but there's a passive skill I've learned that lets me use two. There are other passive skills I'm learning, but for the most part they aren't terribly exciting. However, the ones that are specific to the different combat skill branches allow me to modify and improve the base abilities of the skills I'm focusing on, which is awesome. My Demonic Blow strikes multiple targets now, and my undead ally buff summons four instead of just two.

With that said, I'm a bit annoyed at how the game is laid out. It's pretty much an offline MMO - in fact, anyone who's ever said that Final Fantasy XII is an offline MMO needs to play Sacred 2 and then shut the hell up forever. Of course, you CAN go online with Sacred 2, but it's a matchmaking system similar to games like Diablo. Only a limited number of players in a game at a time. I'm also ignoring it completely (for now, anyways).

To be more specific, the game is set up remarkably similar to World of Warcraft. When you visit a town, there are NPCs with question marks over their heads. They give you quests, which you go out and complete for a reward of experience and gold. The thing about this is that the story, so far (to be fair I haven't delved very deep into the story yet) is all told through the quest text. In fact, I really can't say anything about the quality of the story because I really don't know what the story is. The quest text tends to be unnecessarily lengthy and also fairly dull. Like in World of Warcraft, everything the people here say is pretty much irrelevant, and it has a way of disconnecting you from the game world.

June 16

Wow! FINALLY a quest reward that was actually worthwhile! I just completed a quest chain and was rewarded with an awesome 4 or 5 minute cinematic of a medieval metal rock concert! I was not expecting that, and it was totally awesome!

Here it is on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_EZ-u1V68g

After the concert, they give you their instruments, all of which are unique weapons. You can also watch the video again any time you want by talking to them. If you're playing the game and you get to a little town called Clearview, make sure you complete the chain that involves finding this bands' instruments. It's well worth it.

June 18

I decided to change things up a bit. Continuing the way I was going, completing every quest I came across, was getting me nowhere fast. I think, from here on, I'm going to accept every quest I come across, but I'll only complete the ones that happen to be on my way to my next main destination. Hopefully that will speed things up so that it doesn't take more than a hundred hours to beat the game.

With that in mind, I also restarted my campaign on the Silver difficulty, and am in the progress of speed-running back to where I was, which isn't actually taking that long since I'm ignoring all the quests in my way. I have to say I'm very glad I did it. You get more experience from killing enemies and, although it's still very easy, at least now I actually have to use potions biggrin.gif. The game recommends starting on the Bronze difficulty, but I would say to anyone starting the game, if you have any experience with WRPGs like Diablo or Neverwinter Nights at all, don't bother. Start in Silver difficulty, you'll have more fun.

Something nice about the game is that when you restart your campaign, you don't have to start with a new character. You just start a new campaign with the character you already have. So I was able to bring my lvl 20 Shadow Warrior into the new game with all his equipment and skills in tact. Definitely a nice feature.

Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...

Comments

• Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited June 2009
    Excellent! I just ordered this for the PS3 from Amazon, waiting for it as we speak. I read quite a few reviews and got the Neverwinter Nights vibe, which made me snatch it up.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited June 2009
    I am curious about this one... is this multiplayer on the same console (as opposed to online multiplayer)?
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2009
    I am curious about this one... is this multiplayer on the same console (as opposed to online multiplayer)?
    The manual seems to suggest you can have two people on one console, and then connect both to an online game. I haven't tried this myself, but I'd assume the information in the manual is correct biggrin.gif
  • DescaraDescara Fly Away Now Full Members
    edited June 2009
    I've wanted to rent this, but no one has it. I've tried every rental place this side of the state and people are like "uh, did it just come out?"

Fail!

Maybe I'll get it when it's cheap =/
  • valsarvalsar Member Full Members
    edited June 2009
    I know how you feel. I rented it to try it out because a friend of mine said it was awesome and I'm not sure how I feel about it either. I mean I'm having fun with it but there doesn't seem to be any story even in a bunch of the quests that I've done. I'm not that far yet so the story part could change.

Also, which version are you playing. I'm playing the 360 version and I couldn't find any option to play multiplayer on the same console, though to be fair I didn't look around to much for it because I don't have a second controller.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2009
    I know how you feel. I rented it to try it out because a friend of mine said it was awesome and I'm not sure how I feel about it either. I mean I'm having fun with it but there doesn't seem to be any story even in a bunch of the quests that I've done. I'm not that far yet so the story part could change.

Also, which version are you playing. I'm playing the 360 version and I couldn't find any option to play multiplayer on the same console, though to be fair I didn't look around to much for it because I don't have a second controller.
    I'm also on the 360. The option in mentioned in the manual in passing, but it doesn't go into any details (p 13-15)
    edited June 2009
    *updated*
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited June 2009
    Dude, we should totally do some online multiplayer. If you're going to be reviewing a game, you should explore all aspects. I've got a level 25-ish Seraphim, doing the Light campaign.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
    edited June 2009
    Dude, we should totally do some online multiplayer. If you're going to be reviewing a game, you should explore all aspects. I've got a level 25-ish Seraphim, doing the Light campaign.
    My Shadow Warrior is lvl 20. Unfortunately, my schedule doesn't leave me online at hours that are good for other people. Most of my playtime is either in the middle of the night or early morning. Most people are either working or sleeping.

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2009
This discussion has been closed.