If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tales of Vesperia on Playstation 3

MegaLink1MegaLink1 BannedBanned Users
edited October 2009 in Role Playing Games
I went and picked this game up yesterday and all I can say is that everything about it from the crisp refined look on the TV screen to the polished controls scream quality. If you install the game on the hard-drive it runs so quick that load times are nearly unnoticeable. This game is definitely worth a repurchase if you have already got it for the Xbox 360 and if you haven't bought it yet...well what are you waiting for?! Thanks Namco-Bandai for another polished game on the Playstation 3!

Comments

• mr. nailsmr. nails Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    i've only played 2 tales games. tales of destiny & tales of destiny II, the ps1 version (tales of eternia). i beat tales of destiny but destiny II i hated. i probably hated 1 for that matter... since then i've never looked @ another tales game. seeing this thread i did utube sum cutscenes & gameplay and the game "looks" great. from voice acting to a more engaging gameplay. might be worth a look see once that ps3 upgrade cums in.
    [url=\"relaxl.png[/url]
    *Short Video Link in Banner*
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I'd say it's worth it. The Tales you played are of a dead/dying breed. Since Tales of Symphonia, the series has taken a fairly different approach with its new team.
  • HeeHoHeeHo Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    Load times were already super short even on the 360 without installation. You haven't really mentioned anything that actually makes it a repurchase yet :B
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    and if you haven't bought it yet...well what are you waiting for?!
    The English release of this version. There's no way I'm buying a 360 just for this and Mass Effect. No way.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    In Symphonia (on Gamecube), load times a super-short too - always less than 1 second.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2009
    I seriously doubt the controls are better. Playing Tales of the Abyss on PS2 was awkward for controls, and I can't imagine it would be any better with the PS3's controller. I don't like having to constantly switch between the analog and dpad whenever I want to free run.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • DQ5DQ5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    Load times were already super short even on the 360 without installation. You haven't really mentioned anything that actually makes it a repurchase yet :B
    Are you not aware of all the extra contend that N-B has added to the PS3 version of ToV?
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2009
    Are you not aware of all the extra contend that N-B has added to the PS3 version of ToV?
    What, an extra character, some more costumes, and a few new side quests? That didn't make me buy Eternal Sonata again, and it's sure not going to make me buy Vesperia again.

• MegaLink1MegaLink1 Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2009
    What, an extra character, some more costumes, and a few new side quests? That didn't make me buy Eternal Sonata again, and it's sure not going to make me buy Vesperia again.
    Eternal Sonata's release on the Playstation 3 was great but Tales of Vesperia should not even be put in the same category considering that they come from two entirely different developers and Tales of Vesperia is better than Eternal Sonata in just about every respect. As far as the controls go, I will say that there is no problem whatsoever with them and they are definitely much more polished and smooth than any Tales game I have played to date (although the battle trailers for Tales of Graces look pretty smooth).

Once I finish all the bonus stuff in this game I'll be able to give a more comprehensive review but for the time being I will say that so far the experience is much better than my previous encounter with the same game on the Xbox 360 so far (although it is still a great game on the Xbox 360). However, if these polished new versions of games will continue to grace us on the Playstation 3 then I think waiting another year to get the games isn't really that long of a wait after all.

• LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited September 2009
    Eternal Sonata's release on the Playstation 3 was great but Tales of Vesperia should not even be put in the same category considering that they come from two entirely different developers and Tales of Vesperia is better than Eternal Sonata in just about every respect. As far as the controls go, I will say that there is no problem whatsoever with them and they are definitely much more polished and smooth than any Tales game I have played to date (although the battle trailers for Tales of Graces look pretty smooth).
    Besides the PS3 Tales of Vesperia is set in a alternate reality where Patty Fleur is part of the party.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited September 2009

Once I finish all the bonus stuff in this game I'll be able to give a more comprehensive review but for the time being I will say that so far the experience is much better than my previous encounter with the same game on the Xbox 360 so far (although it is still a great game on the Xbox 360). However, if these polished new versions of games will continue to grace us on the Playstation 3 then I think waiting another year to get the games isn't really that long of a wait after all.
    See, I disagree there. I enjoyed Eternal Sonata much more than ToV (and that's surprising considering my love for the series). Tales of Vesperia was great, but its story was disjointed and the battle system felt clunkier than other Tales games I've played, plus for all intents and purposes is was identical to ToA and TotW:RM. I'm sure the PS3 controls work fine, but I'd much rather play it with an Xbox controller (I loathe the DualShock... right now it's pissing me off because every time I put the controller down for a second my character in Demon's Souls does a strong attack or shield bash because the right and left trigger buttons get pushed down. I actually almost killed an NPC in the Nexus because of this)

A tiny bit of extra content is never enough to make me rebuy a game, unless it's really, really cheap (ie. P3:FES. After trading in my original copy for $20, I only paid $10 for the upgrade), and I have to really, really love the game.
    edited September 2009
    Its more than just that altered scenes, characters from the new anime film The First Strike will make an appearance, full voice acting, new mini games, Flynn added to the party more freguently, new skits, new skills, and quite possibly DLC related to First Strike.
    edited September 2009
    Its more than just that altered scenes, characters from the new anime film The First Strike will make an appearance, full voice acting, new mini games, Flynn added to the party more freguently, new skits, new skills, and quite possibly DLC related to First Strike.
    Yeah, see, none of that makes me want to spend another $60 for a game I've already played. Even if they added 10% more content, that's still 90% I've already played. It's not worth it.
    edited September 2009
    I understand your point, especially if you were not a fan of the game. I was just pointing out that NB added far more content to ToV than just an extra character, costumes, and side quest and for alot fans thats probably enough for them to spend another 60 bucks.
    edited September 2009
    Like I said the PS3 version of TOV have so many changes that it could be considered another game. It is a parallel universe to Vesperia.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • AntiheroAntihero Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    It seems to be the most refined JRPG to ever make a port from the 360 to the PS3. If it were to come out for the 360 I admit that I'd probably grab it the day it released (and I've never bought a game "twice" including the upgraded versions of MGS2 and MGS3, two games I have a high opinion of.) But I still wouldn't cop a PS3 for it. The million dollar question, first of all, is whether it's even coming out in the states? This thing might end up like Tales of Symphonia's PS2 port.
    Antihero.jpg
    edited September 2009
    If it stays in Japan then I will never play Vesperia.
    edited September 2009
    I have played quite a bit more of Tales of Vesperia and let me fully recommend getting this for the Playstation 3 if it goes stateside. The controls are so fluid and intuitive with the Playstation controller that it's hard to find anything to fault it for and I have been looking pretty hard. This is possibly the most enjoyable Tales experience I've had with the entire series and that is saying a lot since I have played through every game in the main series and many of the games multiple times. This is one game that has been polished up extremely well in just about every way and there is no doubt in my mind that if released stateside, it would far outsell the current sales numbers on the Xbox 360.
    edited September 2009
    i played the demo and I want it. Especially after I discovered that you can equip 2 sets of Artes and 2 sets of shortcuts.
  • ElrinthElrinth Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    I hope they've got plans for bringing ToV for PS3 for EU. Cause I still don't own a 360 and the extra content interests me.
    \"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind\" - Edward D. Morrison
    edited September 2009
    I hope they've got plans for bringing ToV for PS3 for EU. Cause I still don't own a 360 and the extra content interests me.
    Just from the sales on the Playstation 3 in Japan alone, it would be unthinkable not to rerelease it around the world.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited September 2009
    Just from the sales on the Playstation 3 in Japan alone, it would be unthinkable not to rerelease it around the world.
    It's unthinkable because you are using logic.

Logic does not apply to the localization of Tales games.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
    edited September 2009
    It's unthinkable because you are using logic.

Logic does not apply to the localization of Tales games.
    Unfortunately, this is very true.

That aside, I've run into a few of the new scenarios and such and all I can say is that if the rest of the world is lucky enough to get their hands on the Playstation 3 version of this game, they are in for a real treat. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just leave it at that.
    edited October 2009
    Please don't be so pessimistic use the law of attraction and visualize the PS3 version of Vesperia coming.
    edited October 2009
    Please don't be so pessimistic use the law of attraction and visualize the PS3 version of Vesperia coming.
    Let's all visualize together because the new scenes with Patty are too hilarious not to let the rest of the world enjoy.
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited October 2009
    OH NO! I accidentally thought of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man instead! I always screw this kind of thing up!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited October 2009
    So Namco is localized Tales of StayPuft instead?! Ohhh man, nice going Oyashiro!
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
    edited October 2009
    So Namco is localized Tales of StayPuft instead?! Ohhh man, nice going Oyashiro!
    Now THAT I'd buy.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    Does that mean Indignation is the crossing of the streams?
    edited October 2009
    Does that mean Indignation is the crossing of the streams?
    No no no, Indignation is the trap!

Ray is crossing the streams.