If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited December 2009 in Staff Review Blogs
As Firemyst stated on last week's podcast, we have been playing the first Ar tonelico game through Skype. We would play for a few hours once or twice a week and try to be....roughly on the same page in terms of plot events. I haven't had much of an experience playing Gust games, let alone NIS America titles, and because I have heard about how much sexual innuendo appears in the Ar tonelico series, I figured it would be worth it to start from the beginning and see where things go. As it stands right now, Myst is roughly an hour behind me, because he decided that diving was far more fun than plot progression.

08.06.09 - 9 hours

I have just reached Silvaplate trying to reclaim my beautiful Misha. When I lost Misha, I had only made it to lvl 2 Cosmosphere, so when I get her back I know I'll need to spend the time diving with her. On the other hand, I have been focusing a lot of time into diving with Aurica, and oh my goodness, she makes a sexy devil lady. I approve of said costume. I also know I need to work on getting dive points. Myst has so many more than I do, but he gets upset with me because I have more money than he does.

Also, I want Claire. It's bad enough every time you visit her that her triple Fs are totally in my face. Also, apparently Lyner likes women of the church and nun outfits. Wow, who knew?

Anyone have an idea roughly how long this game is?

More soon on our epic adventure!

08.13.09 - 11 hours

I'm on my way up the tower again to go to Frozen Eye. After enough plot events, I'm finding it harder and harder to take this game seriously at all. This game is so silly and it does have a lot of charm to it, but I think it's mainly due tot he sexual humor that is throughout the entire dialogue. Also, the dungeons in this game are ridiculously short for the most part which quite a breath of fresh air compared to playing Persona 4.

I'm really enjoying the Cosmosphere events in this game. They are really fun and interactive. Still don't know who I like more between Aurica and Misha. Which Reyvatail is everyone's favourite?

Also, Myst, before you say it, I know Jack doesn't count. tounge2.gif

More soon when I'm feeling less sick and sleepy.

I've been meaning to update this. Mikel and I started Aurica's path the other night and I've finally beaten the Musical Corridor. The puzzle in that area was so annoying to play while sleep deprived, so I think I had to restart it three or four times. biggrin.gif; I was so cranky.

Any ways, I'm enjoying the cosmospheres and have got to psychotic girl timez. Guys, both Aurica and Mishia have advanced on the crazy hot scale. First they were just hot, and now they are crazy hot. Win = ? Sexy Aurica time!

And yeaaaaaah. I don't think we will be playing any more of it this week, but maybe the following week? More soon!

Comments

• ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited August 2009
    On my first time through I took just under 30 hours to finish the game. I didn't complete any of the available cosmospheres other than Misha's on that playthrough, however, and didn't do much exploring in the inside of the tower later in the game. I don't think there's too much there, but there are some nice treats you could miss if you just breeze through the game. If you're looking to complete most of the available content it might take you a little longer, but I don't think you'll manage to run up 40 hours unless you take your time or get stuck somewhere along your way.

Just a heads up, make sure you check areas pretty thoroughly as there is a lot of hidden junk lying around that you can't see, especially in some larger areas later in the game.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    One thing I like about this game is - the standard RPG plot advancement point "Go [somewhere] and talk to [someone]" is very quick because the world map is a warp map - there are no battles on the world map. This lets you enjoy the story because you're less distracted by the gameplay. I also love how clueless Lyner is.

I think around 25 hours is needed to finish.

I liked the first game more than the second. You spend more time fighting in the second game, I think.
    edited August 2009
    A lot more time is spent fighting in the second game, I definitely agree. Then again you can just run from a ton of battles in the first game because with some high-end enhancements the game is beyond a cakewalk. Battles are also a lot more fun and active than in the first game though.

The sequel lost part of the charm of the first game, as I'm reminded since I'm slowly playing through Elemia again right now, but there's too much I love about Metafalica to consider it anything but superior.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2009
    This might be the perfect sized game for me at the moment. Persona 4 is so long, so have a nice 25-30 hours romp makes me very happy.

Also, I love Lyner. He reminds me of Gourry from The Slayers - dumb as a brick, but lovable with a heart of gold.

Myst and I were discussing this but if this works out well, we will probably play the sequel together. I don't know if he'll write a retroreview for this game, but I know I will for sure as soon as I finish it. smile.gif
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Heh.. roughly on the same page. Sometime in our last play session, we branched off. I was exploring Misha's Cosmosphere and Nyx went on with the story. I ended up getting to level 5 with Misha before moving on, making Nyx horribly jealous with all the costumes and events I was seeing. Then she was telling me about Demon Aurica and I had to catch up as quickly as possible. She's about 30-45 minutes ahead of me in story, which I'll likely catch up before next week.

Overall, I really like the battle system. I know it's abusing the Reyvateil in some way, but I love accumulating as many Dive Points as I can get. This also makes Nyx insanely jealous. wink.gif I think I broke 1000 DP in a fight twice already and she's about 600 DP max so far. I think it's taken me about 7 hours to truly understand how the battle system is supposed to work.

Almost don't wanna wait until next week to keep going... >.>
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited August 2009
    Almost don't wanna wait until next week to keep going... >.>
    TOO BAD.

*cough* We can play more next week as long as you have the same days off as me. tounge2.gif
    edited August 2009
    I'm bad to Wed/Thurs off next week and for a while.

I do get to play a little bit to catch up, and I figure we can always explore the Cosmosphere, right? >.>
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited August 2009
  • HellGundam7HellGundam7 Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Misha Arsellec Lune is my favorite. Even including the Reyvatails from the second game. Just so fun and forward with her feelings. Stupid Lyner.

Also, Jack is awesome. That is all.
    edited August 2009
    I'm still lagging behind. I'm in some sort of looping maze where I finally remembered to click the light bulb and get advice on how to solve the maze. I shouldn't play while sleepy.

Aurica is my favorite Reyvatail so far. I think she's just so cute and likes kitties and building up her confidence is enjoyable to me.. like helping the girl next door kind of thing.

And kitties.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited August 2009
    Side note: I was playing Ar tonelico last night... I use my PS3 to play. I thought I was sleepy and somehow changed virtual cards or something, but when I went to save, my saves were gone. This puzzled me for a bit.

I eventually saved in slot 03 (since I had been using slots 01 and 02). I stopped the game, restarted the system, and 03 is the only save on my virtual card.

I thought this was strange, so I did some research:
    http://kotaku.com/gaming/rpg/warning-ar-tonelico-on-the-ps3-235750.php

Seems I'm not alone in Ar tonelico randomly losing save data. I guess I'll be making some backups. I did have a save fail once, but that issue has not been isolated to Ar tonelico. P3:FES did that once or twice too, but another save attempt always goes through.
    Founder, RPGamer
  • aquagonaquagon Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Actually, all of the Gust games are prone to have these save fail errors in PS3, so better be careful with the backups.

And if anyone is interested on knowing more about the game's world, I have been working on translating the JP-only creation materials book, which explains a lot of things that were left unanswered in the game, but of course, it's filled with spoilers, so the ones that haven't finished the game shouldn't look at it:

http://artonelico.isisview.org/wiki/index.php/Settei_book_translations

Don't forget to give a look to the translations of the hymns' lyrics either, since they are also an important part of the game experience.

And for the record:

Favorite Reyvateil: Aurica
    Favorite Hymn: Harmonious
    edited August 2009
    In an effort to catch up to Nyx, I played for a good two hours. I managed to get nowhere with my Reyvateils' Cosmospheres, but I did find a lot of conversations. I figure Level 6 will open up to me eventually.

I passed Nyx a little bit. I have reached the Frozen Eye and progressed to Platina. This is where I stopped. I didn't even explore much around Platina, leaving that to do while Nyx catches up before next week.

I finally understand (no, really this time) how battle works -- How you need to use your Reyvateil abilities to open up the highest items for the battle. I'm getting a lot of the melding materials I was missing now, so I've been making more stuff. I still need a better weapon for Krusche, and better armor for Randolf... but overall, I feel I'm doing fairly well. smile.gif Levels 42-44 now. Both my DP counts are well over 15k, so I really need to get on with diving!

Why does countering lower your harmony level by at least one level? That specific aspect makes no sense to me.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited August 2009
    All the counters, regardless of if it's for retaliating from a one or three-ring stored attack, consume one harmonics level because that's the requirement they have to work (and it's a little less of the harmonics bar bonus you would receive from protecting the Reyvateil but without performing a counter).

And Cosmosphere levels beyond Lv. 5 are blocked off until the start of Phase 2, given that the talk topics required for Lv. 6 don't show up until then.
    edited August 2009
    Why does countering lower your harmony level by at least one level? That specific aspect makes no sense to me.
    Yeah most counters aren't that helpful, but guarding with all 3 characters provide great counters because the last front line character you choose will use a special attack at the end of the counterattack. That's the main draw since losing a level of harmonics is never helpful, especially since ignoring it raises the harmonics bar pretty significantly.
    edited August 2009
    Actually, losing an Harmonics level doesn't matter much once you have maxed Harmonics, since the game only checks for the highest level achieved, not in which level you were when the battle ended for awarding the drops.
    edited August 2009
    Yeah but I really never bother with counters anyway. I do see where it would be nice for an extra attack when you have level 4 Harmonics and the bar is full and will just level back up right away. I'd rather just have the increased boost to songs at lower Harmo levels.
    edited August 2009
    Phase 2 begin ^^
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited August 2009
    Heh, I actually started playing this when I saw you guys were playing and I'm just at the end of Phase 1 myself. In fact I just turned on my console and am about to finish up my business.
    edited August 2009
    And to quote the game:

"Was yea ra yassa yor phyue!
    En biron ar akata PHASE2
    Rrha ki ra tie yor ini en nha,
    Wee ki ra parge yor ar ciel
    En rasse yor..."

Translation:

"I'll be happy to congratulate you for clearing this phase!
    And our story will continue on Phase 2.
    Infinitely concentrated, I'll restrain you to initialize your summoning.
    Fairly concentrated, I shall detach you from your only world.
    And send you off, wishing you good luck..."
    edited August 2009
    After some discussion, Nyx and I are going to play both paths of Phase 2. Aurica's path is first. We will be using save data from different paths during Phase 3, which I hope will provide some interesting differences in story.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited August 2009
    edited October 2009
    We're in Phase 3, but had a bit of a break as I start a new job (the real kind). We should be wrapping up this weekend, if all goes well.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited December 2009
    After a long break I have completed the game. I'm closing this blog off though since we ended up not using it as much as I thought we would!
This discussion has been closed.