If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ctrl + Click in Forums

ZerkerZerker MemberFull Members
edited April 2010 in Site & Forum Support
Hey Folks, I thought I'd report on something that's been irking me for a little while. As some of you may or may not be aware, there are (at least) three main ways to open a link in a new tab:

Right Click, "Open in New Tab"
Middle Click
Ctrl + Click

The first two options work fine, but when I use ctrl + click (for example, on my Netbook with no middle button), the forums open the topic I clicked on both in the new tab and in the tab I was last viewing. As a result, I'm forced to hit stop, or back before I can open another topic/forum in a different tab. This only happens for ctrl + clicking on the main link for a forum category or topic; ctrl + clicking on the "new post" arrow or any other link on the rest of the internet works fine. I suspect some funky javascript is at fault. Any hope of having this fixed?

Comments

• Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2010
    Browser/OS please.
  • ZerkerZerker Member Full Members
    edited April 2010
    Everything I've tried other than IE:
    Firefox 3.6 / OSX (Cmd in this case)
    Firefox 3.5 / Linux
    Firefox 3.0 / Windows
    Chrome Beta / Linux
    Safari 4 / OSX (Cmd again here)

So IE 8 / Windows is the only platform that doesn't have this behaviour (probably older IEs too).

Edited to include Windows and version numbers. Edited again to make the list easier to read.

• ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited April 2010
    Don't know, that's something with this forum specifically. Not that I use the Ctrl+click combination, but Google Chrome does the same thing with middle clicks and not when right-clicking. Other places don't have the same problem.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2010
    The reason for this is actually quite simple. If you haven't noticed, the entire cell for the forum category topics has a Javascript 'onClick' event set up to open up that particular forum. When you're control-clicking the link, it's reading you clicking the link but it's also activating the onClick event, which isn't affected by CTRL+CLICK.

I dunno if there's a way to change that, but you could turn javascript off in your browser. That would probably do it.

Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited April 2010
    In other words, forum upgrade pls kthx bye.
  • ZerkerZerker Member Full Members
    edited April 2010
    The reason for this is actually quite simple. If you haven't noticed, the entire cell for the forum category topics has a Javascript 'onClick' event set up to open up that particular forum. When you're control-clicking the link, it's reading you clicking the link but it's also activating the onClick event, which isn't affected by CTRL+CLICK.
    I figured it was something like that, but I didn't look at the source code at the time. However, I just noticed that the forums run on CGI (ugh!), so any change like that would probably require a re-compile... unless they have enough control based on templates or somesuch.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2010
    The consensus from the dev team seems to be not worth the time fixing when we will be moving to new software. For now, right click and choosing open in new page is your best bet.
  • shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited April 2010
    Speaking of which, is there anything I can do to help the migration? Like tests to run or holes to poke at?