If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

About the games list

ShponglefanShponglefan MemberFull Members
edited June 2010 in Site & Forum Support
I have a concern about the way games are displayed on the main site. My main concern is with the way games are broken down into "series" on one page (sorted by series) and "other" on another page (sorted by platform). And then MMORPGs on their own list.

The issue is that if someone does not already know whether a game is stand alone or part of a series, it can be tricky to locate the game. I've had this happen on more than one occation myself where I heard a game name, then took awhile to find it.

Another issue (again speaking for myself) is that I often search for games for a specific platform. So on most other sites, games are broken down that way making it easy to find and compare games across platforms. Here I find it more difficult because of the way some games are broken down by series and other by platform.

The third issue is the sheer size of the lists. As more and more RPGs continue to get released, those lists are getting pretty huge. Putting everything on one page (esp for the series page) is a bit unwieldy imho.

So my proposal is perhaps revamping the interface for displaying the lists of games. I'm not sure how things are done on the backend, if these pages are auto-generated from a database or hand-coded (although I'd bet on hand coding based on the source code and nested tables). FWIW, I'm actually an ex-professional web developer and would be willing to help in this regard. Perhaps coming up with either a database-driven or even text file driven method for displaying all the games you guys have catalogued. Though database-driven would offer the most flexibility.

Edited to add:

Just to add an idea for how this could be done from an interface perspective:

The page would have several drop down menus at the top: one for platform, one for series, and one for sorting method.

So for example, a person could select Playstation 2 from the platform menu and "All" from the series menu, which would list all RPG games for the Playstation 2. Or a person could select "All" from the platform menu and "Final Fantasy" from the series menu, and get a listing of all Final Fantasy games. And with a sorting menu (i.e. by platform or alphabetical) the person could choose how to view the results.

Another option could also be added for sub-genres. For example, a person could request a listing of all strategy RPGs for the Playstation 2. And so on.

And in addition to all that, a simple text box for just typing in a partial title could be included as well. This would allow people to very quickly type in something (i.e. "final fantasy") and get a list of all titles matching that string from the games list. The Google approach, so to speak.

Anyway, just an idea. List I said, I've had experience doing this very thing so I know how to put it together from a database point of view if you guys are interested.

Comments

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    How to get all games for PS2:
    Go to "release dates" (from the RPGamer sidebar).
    Pick PS2, "All", and the region you're interested in and click update. The "Game" item in the region dropdown does not work.

• ShponglefanShponglefan Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    How to get all games for PS2:
    Go to "release dates" (from the RPGamer sidebar).
    Pick PS2, "All", and the region you're interested in and click update. The "Game" item in the region dropdown does not work.
    Hmmm, I tried that. Although it's pretty unintuative and the games are sorted only by release date.

That is more or less what I was getting at for the games page though, although with more search/sorting options.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    I actually posted a thread about this exact thing a while back. It really is not very friendly for people who don't know the site.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Agreed, I was trying to find a game myself, but had a lot of difficulty because I didn`t know the series name...
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited December 2008
    Just checking, but you do know that we have a search box, right?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2008
    When I was a reader I used http://www.rpgamer.com/pointsofview/archive/archive.cgi to find games. Of course, that doesn't help if you are looking for upcoming games -- I was always looking for reviews.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited December 2008
    Just checking, but you do know that we have a search box, right?
    You do, but it's not in an overly intuitive location (in fact, first time I tried looking for a search option it took me about a minute to find it).

A more intiutive place for the search box would be included with the menu on the left (i.e. right above the "Sections" tab).

And even with a search box, this still doesn't really address the usability of the games list itself.
    When I was a reader I used http://www.rpgamer.com/pointsofview/archive/archive.cgi to find games. Of course, that doesn't help if you are looking for upcoming games -- I was always looking for reviews.
    That's more along the lines of what I had in mind for the games list. Where did you access that page from though? I can't find it via the menus.
    I actually posted a thread about this exact thing a while back. It really is not very friendly for people who don't know the site.
    I found your thread. I notice that one response seemed to indicate that the site was going towards database driven design. Can any staff comment on this? Is this something you guys are still working on? Again, I have a background in professional web development and have built a number of database driven sites. If you guys want help with this, I'd be willing to give it.

• AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    The search button is buried amongst ads. Usually when looking for a game, I click the games link. Sounds silly right?

I find it amusing that there are spelling errors on the search function response:
    Quote: wrote:
    RPGamer Game Search is currently beta.
    If you did not recieve the results you expected, or found a data error,
    please let us know, and leave an explination if you wish.
    edited December 2008
    Just proves that coders can't spell.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited December 2008
    You would think that the opposite would be true, since syntax errors are kind of a big deal when coding.

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2008
    That's more along the lines of what I had in mind for the games list. Where did you access that page from though? I can't find it via the menus.
    That link is on the top of the Points of View column, called Review Archives or something like that. It's even more hidden than the search box smile.gif
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Just FYI: Opoona is still listed as "upcoming" on the release date database. I'm pretty sure that was released in the US as there's a review and the top news item for the game was the release date announcement.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited January 2009
    One of the largest things I'm working on is to unify the Games, Release, and Search into a single entity. I think this will help navigation immensely.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited January 2009
    That would totally rock smile.gif Shouldn't be too hard with the right DB structure I hope.
    edited February 2009
    FYI, Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 2 is still listed as TBA
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited April 2009
    Any news on this front?

I should also note that the "List by Score" function in Points of View/Reviews seems to be missing a whole lot of games. I was looking at Okami specifically (with 2 reviews for an average of 4.5/5) but it isn't anywhere on that page. Is it limited to games with at least 5 reviews? If so, why?
    edited March 2010
    *bump*

So... any news?
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited March 2010
    I got buried in a large work project. Now that I've cleared that up, improving our UI and visibility are my top priorities for the site. I'll update when I have more to share. ^^
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited March 2010
    I must say, it would be incredible if we could have some way to display the games sorted by system. Really.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited March 2010
    I must say, it would be incredible if we could have some way to display the games sorted by system. Really.
    This and I hope the forum revamp is soon >_>

Pweease?!
  • lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited March 2010
    With avatar hosting? smile.gif
    edited March 2010
    OMG please we need new forums now. Now now now! /child tantrum

Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited March 2010
    I just choked on my drink. That was funny. >.< inlove.gif
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
    edited March 2010
    OMG please we need new forums now. Now now now! /child tantrum
    Well that's funny and all, but still... the menus in the site are not very intuitive. I've been on this site for years, but some people have not. The forum is fine to me, not sure what bothers people.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited March 2010
    I'm thinking the problems some people have with the forum are the bugs that have caused things like everyone's avatars and signatures being replaced and posts ending up in entirely different threads.
    edited March 2010
    I'm thinking the problems some people have with the forum are the bugs that have caused things like everyone's avatars and signatures being replaced and posts ending up in entirely different threads.
    Ahhh... makes sense. For me its a simple thing to fix, never really bothers me when it happens, but I suppose I can see the frustration.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2010
    There's also a number of behind-the-scenes problems, which is why you see the mods anxiously awaiting the change.
    edited June 2010
    Quickie: is there a reason we still have The Last Remnant listed as an upcoming PS3 game?
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Quickie: is there a reason we still have The Last Remnant listed as an upcoming PS3 game?
    Probably because it was planned to come out on PS3, and never did. I'll add that to the list of content requests that I'm posting right now.
    Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance