If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Changing usernames?

SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes StudioOrlandoFull Members
edited July 2010 in Site & Forum Support
I know that some boards have a feature that allows mods to change people's usernames... is there anything like that here? Or would I just have to create a new account if I want a name change?

Comments

• SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I know that member mods can't change it. ((Just checked for ya.)) I'm not sure if Paws can. But we can see!
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    This is something i've always wondered, as I have forever regretted not putting a space between the words in my title. Silly, yes, but there it is.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited July 2010
    Awwww Rahl! Haha. Thats a good question though. I had never really thought about it before. And I don't know if we have ever covered it. ^_^ Soon as Paws is around I'm sure she can answer that one.
  • shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I know that vB will be able to if we ever get around to switching.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    I know that vB will be able to if we ever get around to switching.
    A watched bulletin board never upgrades. Or so they say.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited July 2010
    For every week we are bugged about upgrades... you wait two. I think that should be the new motto! biggrin.gif
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I think this board software was developed by some of the same people who made the Ikonboard software. If I remember correctly, message boards using Ikonboard software did not have the ability to change user names. My guess would be that this board software probably has the same problem.

It's a shame too, because having the ability to change usernames is a nifty feature.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    I think this board software was developed by some of the same people who made the Ikonboard software. If I remember correctly, message boards using Ikonboard software did not have the ability to change user names. My guess would be that this board software probably has the same problem.

It's a shame too, because having the ability to change usernames is a nifty feature.
    This IS ikonBoard software. Unless ikonForums and ikonBoard are two distinct entities (I can't imagine that).

vBulletin is coming guys. Dunno if that option exists in vBulletin, but hopefully it'll solve all the bugs this software has. Just give the devs some (more) time.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited July 2010
    I just ran a test at the vBulletin demo site.

Usernames can be changed by users with sufficient administrative privileges.

Another plus is that user accounts can be merged. Might be useful for cleaning up dupes and doppelgangers.
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    edited July 2010
    re: Soren
    Quote: wrote:
    For every week we are bugged about upgrades... you wait two. I think that should be the new motto! biggrin.gif

You mean that I now have the power to delay the upgrade forever? I feel faint, just considering the mischief I could cause.

I mustn't be naughty, I mustn't be naughty, I mustn't be naughty....
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited July 2010
    As a very old boardie, I can tell you; on this software you can't change usernames. The only way is to make a new name and make sure you tell the mod staff as soon as you do so we know you weren't trying to get a dupli account.

It has happened before. But once the upgrade happens, I welcome the chance to drop that policy. ^^
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    edited July 2010
    vB must be good for Firemyst to be coughing up $150 for a license.
  • AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Is it likely we'll lose posts if we upgrade to newer boards?
    edited July 2010
    Assuming that there are no problems with the transfer, nothing should vanish.

If something goes wrong, the admins will probably revert and try again.

More into forum sampling, I just tried to install ikonboards on my home computer as a test run and the installation process was rather convoluted. To call it a "pain in the arse" would not be out of line.

• MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited July 2010
    vB must be good for Firemyst to be coughing up $150 for a license.
    From a user perspective, I find vBulletin to be one of the best around. I happen to think the two major commercial forum platforms I am familiar with (vB and Invision Power Board) to be far superior to their free alternatives. I think in the case of forum software, if it is affordable, choosing a commercial option is preferable to the free software.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    Now that we're under vB, I can look into changing user's names. PM me with what you want done; no guarantees until I figure out what the system does and does not accept.