If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Best >16-bit< RPG?

Honda_InsightfulHonda_Insightful BannedBanned Users
edited June 2003 in Role Playing Games
I'll start with:

Final Fantasy 4/5/6
Chrono Trigger
Phantasy Star 2/4
Pirates! (Amiga version)

[Note: Gameboy/GB Color are 8-bit and GB Advance is 32-bit, so none of those RPGs count.)

Comments

• The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    FF6, FF4, and Secret of Mana.
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Final Fantasy 6
    Chrono Trigger
    Tales of Phantasia
    Phantasy Star 4 (just played this one, I'll get to the others GBA style smile.gif )
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • Options
    edited June 2003
    Secret of Mana. Nothing else.
  • Holy DragoonHoly Dragoon Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Shining Force, Phantasy Star 4, FF6, and Crono Trigger are my personal favorites.

• Kyouske ShigureKyouske Shigure Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    FF 1,2,3 Chrono Trigger, Dragon Force (one of my all time Favorite RPG?s ) and that?s all I can think of for now
  • Evil King StanEvil King Stan Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Breath of Fire
  • Options
    edited June 2003
    Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 3 were not 16 bit RPG's they were 8bit. They appeared on the NES and Famicom systems. Dragon Force was a Saturn game. Also not 16 bit... 16-bit refers to SNES and Genesis, also the Turbo Graphix technically.
  • UncleGamerRPGUncleGamerRPG Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"LiQuid Said=
    Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 3 were not 16 bit RPG's they were 8bit.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ummm... LiQuid, Although 1 IS an 8-bit RPG, They may be refering to the SNES American versions of FFIII and FFII
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My favorite 16bit RPG would have to be FFIII (US) and Chrono Trigger

• MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I will go with:

Final Fantasy III (SNES)
    Phantasy Star II (Genesis)
    Sword of Vermillion (Genesis)
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • MithrandirMithrandir Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Ah, 16-bit RPGs, my old friends. ?So many fond memories. ?Anyway, my faves were:
    Final Fantasy II/IV
    Final Fantasy III/VI
    Breath of Fire
    Breath of Fire II
    Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore
    Chrono Trigger
    Lufia II
    Earthbound
    Mario RPG
    Bahamut Lagoon (I only played it on rom, but it was great.)
    Tales of Phantasia (Ditto on the rom.)

Also, does Golden Sun count? I'm not sure how many bits that game was, but it would have been right at home as a later SNES game. I have yet to play Golden Sun 2, but I liked the first one quite a bit.

• StarDrifterStarDrifter Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Fave 16-bit RPG ever?

Sega Megadrive's (Genisis&#39wink.gif Wonder Boy in Monster World.

And no, I'm not kidding. ?I highly recommend you all check it out wink.gif

It's a beautiful game *sniff*

• CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    TALES OF PHANTASIA!

Secret of Mana rocks too. Not half as much as ToP, but it's still a great game~
  • Options
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ummm... LiQuid, Although 1 IS an 8-bit RPG, They may be refering to the SNES American versions of FFIII and FFII[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm fully aware of that, Uncle. ?Though no one on these forums, or anywhere else I've been, uses US numbering for FF games. ?The point of my posting that was that his post was confusing, even if he was referring to 4 and 6, half his games STILL weren't 16-bit. ?I think he was just confused in the first place...
  • NinaNina Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Earthbound and Secret Of Mana and Chrono Trigger...there are non higher than those three...
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    The Best: Chrono Trigger, FF6, Link to the Past
    The Great: Secret of Mana, FF4, Lufia 1/2, Mario RPG
    The Pretty Good: BoF 1/2
    The Marginal: 7th Saga

Never owned a Genesis. Never played a Genesis emulator.
    edited June 2003
    More people must play Tales of Phantasia.... You will be assimilated!

(Or maybe "un-assimilated" is a better term?)

*shoves SFC cartridge into SNES and uses a folded piece of paper to keep it snug* It's worth it~
    edited June 2003
    I?ve already been assimilated o_o
    edited June 2003
    Yay! Now play all the sequels! Have you played Narikiri Dungeon and Summoner's Lineage?

Come join the cult in drooling over the new ToS characters, info, and screenshots. ^o^
    edited June 2003
    I?ve played just a little of them, because I can?t read japanese
    But I played Nariki Dungeon 2 a bit more. if they translate it, I?ll pay it till the end!

I?ve played Tales of Destiny. But my memory card got damaged and I?ve lost my save. I was right in the middle of the game T_T. I?m thinking to replay it, but need to play some shorter RPG?s first.

Couldn?t buy Tales of Eternia. I just borrowed from a friend. But I?m hooked in Enter the Matrix right now. Then, I?ll play it smile.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid|Juravial @ June 05 2003,11:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ummm... LiQuid, Although 1 IS an 8-bit RPG, They may be refering to the SNES American versions of FFIII and FFII[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm fully aware of that, Uncle. ?Though no one on these forums, or anywhere else I've been, uses US numbering for FF games. ?The point of my posting that was that his post was confusing, even if he was referring to 4 and 6, half his games STILL weren't 16-bit. ?I think he was just confused in the first place...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm not sure if he meant it in this way, but both FFI and II were released on the PSone as 16-bit games, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, FFVI and Chrono Trigger takes the cake for me.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm not sure if he meant it in this way, but both FFI and II were released on the PSone as 16-bit games, if I'm not mistaken.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The PSX is a 32-bit console.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    However, the WonderSwan Color is 16-bit, and Final Fantasy Origins is effectively a port of the WonderSwan Color remakes of Final Fantasy I and II.
  • Options
    edited June 2003
    Not sure why you guys are trying so hard to justify him. ?List as many loopholes and technicalities as you want, I still think he was just clueless, whether he was using American numbering, or not. ?Anyhow, Dragon Force was in no way shape or form a 16 bit RPG as far as I know. ?Come up with a technicality for that one. ?Did the Saturn have a 16 bit micro-fuse biomechological chip that makes it's games qualify as 16 bit? tounge.gif
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited June 2003
    Sorry I am once again going to say Uncharted Waters: New Horizons.

This game beat them all.
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I'm-a gonna saaaayyyyy... Final Fantasy IV. Just because it's what I'm playing right now and I like it a whole heck-of-a-lot more than FFVI or Chrono Trigger. Though I'm sure Secret of Mana will be my favorite as soon as I get my hands on it. Now off to ebay to find a SNES!
  • Shen LongShen Long New Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    phantasy star IV and final fantasy III(US) are my faves.

its tough to decide which one i like more cuz i like the setting and anime style of phantasy star IV, but final fantasy III had more depth and a better overall gameplay and story... at gunpoint i'd prolly choose ff III.
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"its tough to decide which one i like more cuz i like the setting and anime style of phantasy star IV, but final fantasy III had more depth and a better overall gameplay and story... at gunpoint i'd prolly choose ff III.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wow, and people complain how "new school" gamers are only in it for the graphics!
  • janus_zealjanus_zeal Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    if you're talking about 16-bit systems chrono trigger is my overall favorite. but it was a 32-bit game for a 16-bit system. there are tons of games that don't match their system, and I'm pretty sure secret of mana is 32-bit also. if we're talking 16-bit games, then i'd have to go with FFVI (I'm pretty sure it's 16-bit). honorable mention to super mario RPG, you started me into RPGs, and I've spent hundreds of hours ever since (not to mention 10+ replays of that game).
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Athenian @ June 10 2003,00:14)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"its tough to decide which one i like more cuz i like the setting and anime style of phantasy star IV, but final fantasy III had more depth and a better overall gameplay and story... at gunpoint i'd prolly choose ff III.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wow, and people complain how "new school" gamers are only in it for the graphics![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't understand what you are saying here. ?How does your comment about new school gamers applies to what Shen Long said? ?Maybe I am just too dense and can't see the obvious, but I would like to understand what you are referring to.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • ElrinthElrinth Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I'd say I'm pretty much a SNESgay, so here goes:

Seiken Densetsu II & III
    Final Fantasy III (US)
    Tales of Phantasia
    Chrono Trigger
    Lufia I & II
    Actraiser I & II
    Rudora No Hihou (most beautiful SNESgame, imo)
    Breath of Fire I & II
    Mario RPG
    Shadow Run
    Star Ocean
    Romancin Saga 3 (too bad no translation is good so far)
    Terranigma
    Y's III, IV, V (I actually haven't played em much, but I do like the music)

None rpg's:
    Castlevania
    Super Metroid
    Zelda 3 (u could call this a rpg smile.gif
    \"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind\" - Edward D. Morrison