If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Symphonia Details Revealed

MysteriousMMysteriousM MemberFull Members
edited June 2003 in Latest Updates
As the game approaches its Japanese release, Namco has revealed some new tidbits about the game to whet our appetite. ?

New news about characters and the battle system, all right here.

Comments

• MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited June 2003
    The game sounds good. ?I just wish ToD2 (Japan) would be released here.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • OtterlandOtterland Banned Banned Users
    edited June 2003
    Ditto. Too bad Namco US doesn't like 2-D games anymore...
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    My mouse isn't working, so I can't confirm my suspicions, but... is it just me, or do you two say the exact same thing in every ToS-related news discussion topic? Do you just copy and paste?!

ToD2j aside.... -_-

Tales of Symphonia's Japanese release date is August 29, 2003. So sayeth the mighty V-Jump, that which doth know all. And if you don't trust V-Jump, simply wait for Namco's next web update (meh, it will be here by Wednessday, it will).

Again... no media.... The characters are so cool-looking too, especially Shihna and Refill. (Useless fact = Shihna is the first Tales PC to have a notable amount of cleavage. o_O)

Also, for those interest, there are two more characters, recently announced. (Only in V-Jump. Namco's webmasters must be on vacation or something.)

--Presea Somthing, the cute anti-social(?) girl who's got pink hair in pigtails, and is either a mage or a matial artist (I think the latter)
    --Zelos Wilder, the magic-using swordsman who is supposed to be popular with girls.... He looks like a girl (moreso than Mark), and I thought he was at first. His hair is reddish and long.

The GBA port of Tales of Phantasia? Why that comes out (in Japan) August 1st. Only eight months late.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Thanks for the updates. ?I do seem to be making a habit of complaining about it.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited June 2003
    I haven't heard one person say the story was decent or better, though I do recall hearing that it was crappy.... Why don't you just import it? o_O

As for updates.... YAHOO! Namco's webmasters have been ressurrected!

I present to you fresh, fresh, fresh Tales of Symphonia information:

Important News #1: Tales of Symphonia's Theme Song

It's called "Starry Heavens" and it's by a Japanese group called "day after tomorrow"

Important News #2: Characters

--Lloyd Irving
    --Collet Brunel
    --Genius Sage
    --Refill Sage
    --Kratos Aurion
    --Shihna
    --Zelos Wilder
    --Presea Combatir

Ah, so Presea uses an AXE. *never woulda guessed* ]

Each character profile includes two screenshots, but I don't wanna fight with that much iB Code ^_^;
    Go to the official website if you wanna see them.

Meanwhile, that's all the info I can give for now (assuming you don't care about height/weight/age/etc of charas), until I do some translating, which I can't do right now....
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    WOW.... wow.gif

If you're so good at bringing out news and tidbits, you should join RPGamer's news staff.... smile.gif
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    What the world needs now, is Ninjas...Busty Female Ninjas!
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited June 2003
    wow, the character design seems even better then ever!!!
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    As I've mentioned before, I'm looking forward to Tales of Symphonia because I'm enjoying Tales of Destiny 2 (Tales of Eternia).

However, I'm glad I don't have to have this Tales of Symphonia Mint Green Limited Edition GameCube to play it. ;)
  • Q. MulativeQ. Mulative Banned Banned Users
    edited June 2003
    That is one nice looking Mint 'cube. ?Too bad it's not Mint that's on it, though. ?I absolutely love characters like that. ?Belldandy, Mint, Fina... ?they have an attitude that is undefeatable!

I wonder if a similar promo might make its way over here.

edited June 2003
    Ah, I found something else. It seems an announcement was made that Symphonia and Phantasia will have a direct story connection. No big surprise there (just about every ToP fan was suspecting it), but it's nice to have a confirmation.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If you're so good at bringing out news and tidbits, you should join RPGamer's news staff[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Heheh.... But Tales is the only thing I can scrape news up so well for, so they wouldn't want me.... XD And I'm too young.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What the world needs now, is Ninjas...Busty Female Ninjas![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

There's a shortage of cute girls with impossibly huge broadswords as well.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"wow, the character design seems even better then ever!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I like them better than ToP, but not better than SamoRine. ^o^

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"However, I'm glad I don't have to have this Tales of Symphonia Mint Green Limited Edition GameCube to play it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I hear ya, that thing's hideous. They shoulda made one that was the color/pattern of the blue in the letters of ToS's logo. Kinda dark and sky-ish. That'd be nice.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" Too bad it's not Mint that's on it, though.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

^_^ They oughta make a special ToP-related GBA, ne~

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I wonder if a similar promo might make its way over here. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I doubt it.... I do hope they'll put Shihna on the front of the NA version box though. It'll sell more that way.
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    3 inch NINTENDO GAMECUBE Disc based on Matsushita's Optical Disc Technology, Approx. 1.5GB Capacity

On to what im going to say here. ToSymphonia will take 2 mini discs. Thats like 3GB. What the hell could possibly be taking up that much memory?
  • ElrinthElrinth Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    If Tales of Symphonia won't be brought to Europe, I'll slay whole Namco, and make mincemeat out of em.
    Anyways, I wonder if they'll have one of those neat animeintros that the PSXgames had. (Tales of Eternia, Tales of Destiny, Tales of Phantasia)
    Though I'm okay with an intro that's similar to the one that was in Tales of Phantasia on SNES.
    \"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind\" - Edward D. Morrison
    edited June 2003
    So far, any Tales RPG whose system was capable of FMV has had one (that's four of them). Heck, even SamoRine tried to fake it....

I can't picture it having one like ToP-SFC. If they aren't going to have an anime FMV, they'll have some kind of dailogue-free opening sequence with normal game graphics while the song plays.

Can't picture it without anime FMV though.

So, I think I've dug up some interesting battle info, but I'm making assumtions based off a screenshot, which is bad since I've never touch a GCN controller in my life. I'll tell you more when I have some other people round out my theories.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"On to what im going to say here. ToSymphonia will take 2 mini discs. Thats like 3GB. What the hell could possibly be taking up that much memory?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

FMV and v/a. I don't know what the game has for FMV, but it has v/a up the wazoo. Plot events will be voiced, battles will be voiced. This game is supposed to have the largest PC cast of any Tales game, and each playable character will have a variaty of voice clips. Several signifigant NPCs will have plot voice clips, many enemies will have both plot and battle voices. One would want the voice clip quality to be top-notch, eh? Don't forget the openning song, and I assume there's an ending song, they might throw in an extra song....

Ah, the series is known for its excellent music, so....
    edited June 2003
    tounge.gif I think my brother would be good enough for making music for Tales of Symphonia.. A friend of his works for Namco on another game. (Josh Jones, I think his name was)

Cyllya, you seem to be happy about the new ToS. Too bad you haven't got a GC yet.. Will you buy one once it's released or w00t?

I recommend you to grab Zelda: WW and Metroid Prime while your at it. Then you can skip the rest of the games. ;)

\"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind\" - Edward D. Morrison
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I really hope that TOP is ported to the American GBASP. I have never played that game, and I want to see why everyone is so obsessed with Mint.
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cyllya @ June 10 2003,02:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Several signifigant NPCs will have plot voice clips, many enemies will have both plot and battle voices.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, one thing I noticed was that even some of the monsters like bandits and witches had voices. ?The witch sounds so cute with that weak attack that misses!

If you're going to pick up a GCN for ToS, see if you can get that Mint one! ?Hideous or not, special edition stuff always sells for big money and big prizes later on (you'll love it!). ?You could keep it in its box if you're going to do that, though, and I guess that wouldn't really facilitate playing ToS. ?So pick up a regular/platinum one, too. ?It'll all work out for profit in the end.

On a side note, I saw a copy of "Hunter: the Reckoning," at a store I go to regularly, and it's been sitting there for weeks at $30.00 Cdn, so I pick it up and try it out with my friends. ?Most of us think that it's even worse than the previous Xbox version, as only a few minor improvements don't really fix the bigger problems in the game, so I head on over to E.B. and sell it to them for a whopping $50.00! ?Now that's a good deal!

Also, make sure to get PSO, it's pretty much a standard for all gamers to be on some sort of PSO by now, and being able to meet and play with you on the GCN version would be a great opportunity to trade Tales info while wandering through watery jungle-cliff environments.

P.S., you'd be doing yourself a great injustice to miss out on Lost Kingdoms games, as well. ?Having just finished the second one, I'm in the middle of transfering my cards and starting over again with a new character.

• RumikoholicRumikoholic Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Q. Mulative @ June 10 2003,18:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"P.S., you'd be doing yourself a great injustice to miss out on Lost Kingdoms games, as well. ?Having just finished the second one, I'm in the middle of transfering my cards and starting over again with a new character.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The second one's already out?! I still haen't beaten the first one, yet... sad.gif
    edited June 2003
    I beat Lost Kingdoms 1 and got all cards and all fairies in 12 hours... Talk about a short game.. though it was fun, but I get hell a lot angry when a game is this short... confused.gif
    edited June 2003
    It's short, but it's concentrated fun. Plus, you can revisit stages and stock up on cards, fight against your friends &c. LK2 allows you to revisit stages early on, but if you want to retrigger plot events, then you'll need to import your current LK2 character to a new LK2 character.