If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Valkyrie Profile - Staff Retroview

Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: KirinAdministrators
edited April 2011 in Latest Updates
There's a girl I know who makes me feel so good, and I wouldn't live without her even if I could. She's the same little girl who used to hang around my door, but she sure looks different than the way she looked before. They call her Valkyrie, Vaaaaalkyrie!
Well, there it is.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    The only thing I regret about not playing VP2 is missing out on the gorgeous visuals. The few I did see were breathtaking. I sure miss VP's art style.
    dodging enemies is often harder than it should be

I just don't get how anyone could have trouble dodging enemies in this game. You freeze'em, you jump over them. Done. Heck, I skipped so many I had to go back and grind for boss bottles.
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Berkeley, CAFull Members
    edited April 2011
    I loved the artwork and music to the game, and the stories for each of the Einherjar was so enthralling. But it was obvious I was missing so much, mainly because the game was over before I knew it and kind of felt disappointed by the potential of the game on my first playthrough. The key element to experience the "good" ending/path and the real story of the game was so deceptive, I wouldn't have figured it out on my own, so I felt that was a bit of a bummer. Not to mention the difficulty setting affecting how much of the game you got to see to begin with.

But once I got past all that, it easily became one of my favorite games ever. I think I had the soundtrack on permanent loop for a month... and now I realized I lost it somewhere ;( Need to find it again...

VP2 just did not compare to me at all in any capacity except environment designs.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    I REALLY need to play this game
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Iliya MoroumetzIliya Moroumetz Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Definitely a good game. If you can get it for either PSX or PSP, go for it. Though, I have to say, in the RSS feed, they used the lyrics from 'Valleri' by the Monkees to describe the game. Personally, Steve Winwood's 'Valerie' would have been much better.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2011
    I still love this game, and now I'm going to have to borrow it from a friend again.

"Come to me Dark Warriors, battle awaits us!"
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    This is my all time favourite RPG. It's one of the few RPGamers where I can recite scenes and lines by heart. It's also probably because I've played it seven times, and can continue to play it and still feel the same things I did when I first played it back in 2000. This game has had a major impact on me as a gamer, and what I expect from characterization in games. This game has created not only strong characters, but memorable ones for me. I cannot express just how much this game means to me on a personal level, but I know it's one that will always stick with me. I'm so thrilled that Jumes enjoyed the game, as I was so worried he wouldn't!
    edited April 2011
    ^I have to ask, what's your favorite Great Magic casting chant, or Purify Weird Soul chant?
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited April 2011
    Purify Weird Soul chant by far! There's so many memorable lines from those. A personal favourite is "For my honour.... finishing strike... guilty break!" but then again, I am the biggest Janus fangirl you'll probably ever meet. :)
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Loved this game as well. Have to admit though, part of it is from how much I LOL everytime I heard ICICLE DISASTER. Which was every combat once I discovered it.
    edited April 2011
    freykin wrote: »
    Loved this game as well. Have to admit though, part of it is from how much I LOL everytime I heard ICICLE DISASTER. Which was every combat once I discovered it.

Oh my god, YES. Grey's voice acting was hilarious at times. Especially with "ICICLE DISASTER!!!"
    edited April 2011
    Nyx wrote: »
    Purify Weird Soul chant by far! There's so many memorable lines from those. A personal favourite is "For my honour.... finishing strike... guilty break!" but then again, I am the biggest Janus fangirl you'll probably ever meet. :)

My favorite one has to be the Great Magic for Meteor Swarm.

"No mercy for the damned; thus, thou has no escape from the grasp of catastrophe! Meteor Swarm!"

PWS, I have no favorite. They're all so good.
  • TaikaTaika Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I actually ended up with a soundtrack CD before I ever played the game.... it BLEW ME AWAY, and I had to order the game as a result. And glad I did too, it ended up one of my all-time favorites... and the wild, exciting sound makes the music remarkable to this day - Sakuraba's more modern music can't match it!

The game itself is incredible in so many ways. Glad to see people are still playing it.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Nyx wrote: »
    Oh my god, YES. Grey's voice acting was hilarious at times. Especially with "ICICLE DISASTER!!!"
    It's even funnier when you're playing on one of those old, easily busted Playstations and the failing hardware causes "ICICLE DISASTER" to be said after Grey has been killed by the monster that just barely survived said finishing strike.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    So Jumes, did you face the dire peril that is ... the hamsters?
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited April 2011
    Sorry, I didn't dabble in the Seraphic Gate. Bloodbane was enough of an aggravation, thanks very much.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    LOL. I remember those damned hamsters. I knew they would be tough that deep into the Seraphic Gate, but I was still shocked by their appearance and subsequent butt-kicking.

It has become common. I've played a few games now that had murderous hamsters, fire-breathing chickens, or one-rabbit-armies a la Holy Grail. Surprising players with cuddly animals that proceed to kick your butt is like some kind of fad right now.
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2011
    Great game. Though one thing that saddened me was Lezard's horrible voice. I played Valkyrie Profile 2 first, and his new VA did an AMAZING job there, so going back to the first one was just awful.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I thought VP Lezard was great, actually - a very different character than the more subdued VP2 one, but a great ham.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Oh don't you go insulting Lezard... you don't want Nyx hulking out and kicking your rear.
    Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited April 2011
    Lezard. <3
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2011
    Hey, I love Lezard, he's an awesome character in both games. I'm just saying his VP1 voice is terrible compared to his voice in VP2 (imo), and it was hard for me to deal with at first since I started out with VP2.
  • AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I still get tingles whenever I think of Lenneth invoking Nibelung Valesti. I adored that her voice actress came back for VP2. Lenneth is still my favorite my second favorite game heroine
  • TheLegendaryZoltanTheLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I really think they were on to something the way the worked the story in the first Valkyrie Profile game. I actually didn't care so much about what Odin was up to. I just wanted to see how everyone would die before they joined me. Those individual story scenes were so artisticly done, too. But the sequel had the most unbelievable battle mode ever, in my opinion. All the refinements they made to the original system could not have been better contemplated. What really blew my mind was how you could run around on the 3D battle field and then when you engaged the enemy you would take the 2D formation. Genius! Archers are a good way to play if you aren't good at creating combos, by the way. All you have to do is mash. Hahaha.
    Like JRPGs?
    Want to hear a JRPG podcast that actually has a unique format?
    Check out Turn Based Memories!
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Berkeley, CAFull Members
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, that shift in how the Einherjar stories were told completely ruined my motivation to continue VP2. While the battle system to that game WAS awesome, I felt it was became a bit burdensome after a few chapters for me. I was finding myself just missing going right into the 2D battles from the original game instead of having to mess with battlefields.
    I didn't like the soundtrack as much in VP2 either, now that I think about it.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)