If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tech demo from Tri-Ace (looking good)

Comments

• NightfoxNightfox Member Berkeley, CAFull Members
    edited April 2011
    Aiddon wrote: »
    It was actually the series producer Yamagishi who said that. He said that they had taken the series as far as they could go and due to SO3 making a GIANT brick wall for any future narratives they decided to just end it all instead of cynically milking the series. The only supposedly contradictory comment came from Suguro (RoF, VP2's director), BUT he also said that shortly before SO4: International was being released, so he might have been referring to that. You're probably not going to see a new SO anytime soon, if ever. VP3 or a new game seem more likely

I stand corrected, my memory sucks for stuff like this. I do find it highly unlikely they'll end the series, and SO3's ending erases enough of the infamous reveal that it doesn't preclude future stories from picking up as if nothing ever happened. In fact, when Last Hope was announced to be a prequel, I was more uncertain how that would work since it would still be in the confines of that universe. Anyways, writers are paid to creatively get out of holes, they can do whatever they want if they want more space adventures :) It was a year ago but it seemed like Sakuraba was sure they'd be doing another game as well, eventually. Star Ocean is such a huge part of triAce's history (and even this tech demo shows that they can mess with the universe a little bit), chances are good we'll see one in 2 years, no matter what the producer said. It's not like Kojima with his burnout on the main series of Metal Gear Solid, because that was one big continuous story and one character, it gets kind of old from a creator's point of view.

But yeah, I agree having SO5 so soon after 4 wouldn't be likely, it's bound to be VP3 since it's been far far too long. But I guess we just have to wait and see when they finally announce something. The tech demo is definitely promising.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
  • PrinnyPrinny Killer Penguin Full Members
    edited April 2011
    It obviously means that a FF7 remake is hitting the PS3 :P

Lol exactly!

I've overall loved the SO series (well I can say all but the one on SNES, because I haven't played it yet). Like many of you have already said, it would be awesome if they did release information about a new SO coming out relatively soon! I don't know if it is just me, but the dialogue is extremely corny most of the time. I hope that is something that will change in future games. :P
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I think this tech demo has all but confirmed that a new Star Ocean game is in the works ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited April 2011
    ^Ironically, I'd prefer something on the lines of Star Ocean 2 in terms of story.

You mean the first half of the story?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2011
    LordKaiser wrote: »
    You mean the first half of the story?

Yes, that part. The second half was "...what the hell is going on?"
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Nightfox wrote: »
    I stand corrected, my memory sucks for stuff like this. I do find it highly unlikely they'll end the series, and SO3's ending erases enough of the infamous reveal that it doesn't preclude future stories from picking up as if nothing ever happened. In fact, when Last Hope was announced to be a prequel, I was more uncertain how that would work since it would still be in the confines of that universe. Anyways, writers are paid to creatively get out of holes, they can do whatever they want if they want more space adventures :) It was a year ago but it seemed like Sakuraba was sure they'd be doing another game as well, eventually. Star Ocean is such a huge part of triAce's history (and even this tech demo shows that they can mess with the universe a little bit), chances are good we'll see one in 2 years, no matter what the producer said. It's not like Kojima with his burnout on the main series of Metal Gear Solid, because that was one big continuous story and one character, it gets kind of old from a creator's point of view.

But yeah, I agree having SO5 so soon after 4 wouldn't be likely, it's bound to be VP3 since it's been far far too long. But I guess we just have to wait and see when they finally announce something. The tech demo is definitely promising.

Even then I don't see it happening. SO3 was pretty much the cap on the series so you can't really make anything AFTER it and trying to do interquels is just silly (and, from my perspective, no better than Square's current practice of milking FF). The series is a big part of what made tri-Ace famous, but they realized it was time to say good-bye and send everything off. They don't NEED another Star Ocean nor do we.
    edited April 2011
    Aiddon wrote: »
    Even then I don't see it happening. SO3 was pretty much the cap on the series so you can't really make anything AFTER it and trying to do interquels is just silly (and, from my perspective, no better than Square's current practice of milking FF). The series is a big part of what made tri-Ace famous, but they realized it was time to say good-bye and send everything off. They don't NEED another Star Ocean nor do we.

I respect that, but I guess I just see it differently. A galaxy/universe spanning setting like Star Ocean without a big arc can't really "end" like a big conspiracy story would. It's not like there was a character/characters we were following from 1-3 and then wanted to see the backstory of in 4... 3's purpose could really be seen as not an ending but a new beginning, while sloppily explaining the "Oh, so that's why we have magic in a futuristic setting" element... which ended up being a bigger deal than I'm betting the producer intended. I guess I'm saying is, a setting so large like a galaxy can go anywhere if it needs an injection of fresh ideas. If the UFP is the problem in the setting (sorta like the Federation was in later Star Trek), shake it up, put it on the defensive, or just wipe it out. Lord knows Star Ocean Earth sucks at defending itself from powerful aliens, if not for one or two lucky heroes.

I feel saying we don't need another Star Ocean can be applied to anything, also. We also don't need another Valkyrie Profile, Tales, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Dragon Age, or whatever major series there is, because these stories have always been self-contained and don't leave anything important hanging (except fan desire for more). I view Star Ocean as the primary Japanese sci-fi RPG series, and until another major developer steps up it's pretty much why I want to see another game along those lines. I don't even see it as milking it, not like FF where games are so radically different I can't even depend on the brand name to give me a basis what to expect - aside from Chocobos.

But yeah, it's just what I want, doesn't mean it has to happen. I'm still going to be very surprised if they don't make one more game in the series. A 5th main game seems to be the commonly agreed on stopping point...
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
    edited April 2011
    Yes, that part. The second half was "...what the hell is going on?"

Ignore my quote! I saw a 3 instead of a 2... Sorry.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2011
    Ignore my quote! I saw a 3 instead of a 2... Sorry.

Oh god 3...WHY DID THEY DO THAT!? Drove me nuts, especially with the ending. Biggest Deus Ex Machina there is. -_-
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    There aren't really any other sci-fi RPG series, especially with Xenosaga dead in the water. There is plenty of places for them to add more story, or just say screw it and do a time jump. There is no reason for The Last Hope to be just that ^_^ (I'm not gunna lie, I love that last sentence there lol)
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I imagine it would be easy enough to have SO5 set in the world outside of the simulation.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    There's no reason they couldn't create new Star Ocean titles set after SO3. My interpretation of the ending was that
    Spoiler:
    they recreated their universe outside the influence of the eternal sphere and the 4D universe.
    Assuming that, a big-*** government cover-up is all that's really needed to let the universe move forward.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I like to think that after
    Spoiler:
    Luther went on his universe deleting rampage, Blair (or whatever her name was) just fired up a back-up server or something, and the party's nonsense about somehow believing themselves into existence is just that.

Personally, if they continue the series past 3 I'd actually like them to tackle what happens to a society that d
    Spoiler:
    iscovers it isn't actually 'real.'

Though doing that well may be a wee bit beyond the capability of Tri-Ace's writers.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I think continueing the story after 3, would defy it completely. They fought so bravely to
    Spoiler:
    not being a video game anymore and then tri-Ace just makes another video game
    ? No this should never happen.

I want a new sci-fi RPG series from them, though!

And the story should be that
    Spoiler:
    another 4D company developed a new game or even a 5D company actually developed the 4D company
    ! Yeah baby.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Consider tri-Ace's specialty is good battle systems, maybe we shouldn't get hung up on what the story in their next game will be?
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Wheels wrote: »
    Consider tri-Ace's specialty is good battle systems, maybe we shouldn't get hung up on what the story in their next game will be?

Yeah, but they're perfectly capable of producing a good story. SO1 and SO2 were both solid, VP is much loved, Radiata Stories was terrific and the story was really the highlight, and even SO3 was at least presented fairly well. It wasn't nearly as painful to watch/listen to as SO4 or IU.

Plus, let's not forget the fact that tri-Ace seems to think that they're good at writing stories still. SO4 had stupidly long cutscenes throughout, some nearly half an hour. Any where characters were speaking were just painful.

Honestly, I'm more worried about the level design and non-combat gameplay than the story. SO4 had needlessly huge, empty areas, a crafting system that required major backtracking to access, and "quests" that would make most MMOs cringe. Everything other than the combat in that game was so half-assed, that's where they really need to put in the effort. At the very least, we know that the characters aren't going to look like living dolls anymore, so yay for that!
    edited April 2011
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Plus, let's not forget the fact that tri-Ace seems to think that they're good at writing stories still. SO4 had stupidly long cutscenes throughout, some nearly half an hour. Any where characters were speaking were just painful.

True, but let's not forget their most recent game, Resonance of Fate, were they largely moved the story to the background.
    sig.gif
    edited April 2011
    This demo takes place in 4-D dimension and that's why the characters looks realistic.
    edited April 2011
    This demo takes place in 4-D dimension and that's why the characters looks realistic.

That would explain why he has an Edge and Fayt toy on his desk. Though why he has those two instead of Ronyx and Claude is beyond me.
    edited April 2011
    I'm with omegabyte on the interpretation of the SO3 ending.
    Spoiler:
    Also, I never got the impression that Blair fired a backup server at all. That would make the entire endgame and her "sacrifice" meaningless. Actually, it would make the entire story meaningless, right down to Fayt's name and the experiments that gave the trio of kids their transcendent symbology abilities. Who's to say Fayt, Maria, or Sophie didn't have one final 4D ability that rebuilt the galaxy they fought so hard to protect, I mean Fayt's abilities were probably the least defined - and he was the main character.

As for SO4, I know it's hard to say it's a great game, but I did have fun with it despite its very MMO-inspired side content and other flaws. The main story itself wasn't actually that bad, it's the dialog that dragged it down. And even I know it was pretty bad, especially with the glacial pacing between lines to make it sound even more awkward. I don't honestly think they'll be making the same mistakes again.

Really, I think their writing is at its best when it comes to smaller character-focused vignettes like in Valkyrie Profile and Radiata Story. Resonance of Fate had very witty dialog as well, but the overall arc really didn't pick up til very late.
    edited April 2011
    Nightfox wrote: »
    Really, I think their writing is at its best when it comes to smaller character-focused vignettes like in Valkyrie Profile and Radiata Story. Resonance of Fate had very witty dialog as well, but the overall arc really didn't pick up til very late.

I think that was intended though. To me, Resonance of Fate always felt like the overall arc was just a backdrop to tell the story of the main characters with. Resonance of Fate really takes a different approach to narrative than you'd come to expect.
    sig.gif
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I imagine it would be easy enough to have SO5 set in the world outside of the simulation.

This right here.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
    edited April 2011
    omegabyte wrote: »
    That would explain why he has an Edge and Fayt toy on his desk. Though why he has those two instead of Ronyx and Claude is beyond me.

That's exactly what I was thinking and maybe he was to young to know about Ronixis, Claude , Ratix etc.
    edited April 2011
    Well, if we want to analyze it like that, Edge was the first character chronologically, and shunned the spotlight even after his debatable heroics. In-universe, Ronixis was by far the most popular hero and Fayt was the most recent (if these two are from the 4D world, and they would have to be after Fayt to know of him). To think the demo guy was too young to know famous Ronixis but still somehow knowing the much more humble Edge even further back in time seems kind of hard to believe.
    These guys are from the distant future of SO, so I don't believe they are from the 4-D universe since... well... the ending of SO3 made sure that's not possible. They wouldn't have the same ES with the same characters we know, all that was wiped out.
    edited April 2011
    I think you're all over thinking it a bit too much. I see all Star Ocean references in the video as nothing more than fun homage, and not necessarily supposed to mean anything.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

edited April 2011
    Zaku77 wrote: »
    I think you're all over thinking it a bit too much. I see all Star Ocean references in the video as nothing more than fun homage, and not necessarily supposed to mean anything.

I think they know, just taking it as a fun chance to theorize what a new Star Ocean could be like.
    sig.gif
    edited April 2011
    I'm 140 hours and going strong in The Last Hope right now. Thinking about the next one makes my head hurt! lol

edited April 2011
    tri-Ace already explicitly stated that the tech demo was just that and had nothing to do with what they're currently working on. Anyone who seriously believes its heralding something needs to go back and look at the FF7 PS3 tech demo and realize that when a company says, explicitly, that something is NOT happening, it's not happening. A no comment can mean anything, but a denial is just that, a straight denial.

Still, it's fun to speculate, which is all this really is. Despite my abject hatred of SO4, I still do have a soft spot for the series and would love to see another entry.
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, like everyone is saying, I just want to make it clear I'm having fun speculating, especially looking at the demo itself for a story it might be trying to tell :) I stand by my first statement, VP3 is more likely the next game they announce just due to the timing.
  • AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    well, speak of the devil:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/27/frontier_gate/

This will be the first PSP game tri-Ace has made (and no, the Star Ocean remakes don't count; those were developed by TOSE)