If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tech demo from Tri-Ace (looking good)

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2011
    Making us abuzz about their games, and making us think the next one will be on the PS3 when it's actually on the PSP.

WELL PLAYED TRI-ACE, WELL PLAYED.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Here's hoping it's just a rumour. I'm tired of seeing fun JRPG's go to handhelds.
  • AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    well, holy crap, they're even making ANOTHER game for the 3DS:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/27/triace_3ds_psp/

The 3DS one is being directed by Suguro who also directed VP2 and RoF
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited April 2011
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    I'm tired of seeing fun JRPG's go to handhelds.
    Quoted for truth.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I don't think it's really practical for most JRPGs to target anything else.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited April 2011
    Handhelds are the worst invention ever.
    1. Small screen.
    2. Looking down all the time makes neck hurt which then leads to horrible headache.
    3. Why play games on a 10x8cm screen at home when you have a 2x1,6m sized TV screen? :-/
    4. Real gamers don't leave their room ever (except to go to the toilet), so being mobile is pointless.
    edited April 2011
    I love playing on my handhelds, even when home, especially when home. I hate being tethered to the TV.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    I love playing on my handhelds, even when home, especially when home. I hate being tethered to the TV.

I'm the same, having the freedom to not be sitting in and staring at the exact same place is highly welcome. Be interested to see what direction Tri-Ace heads for on the PSP.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Aiddon wrote: »

Oh man, I want that game before I even read what it is.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    A multiplayer Star Ocean?

...fark.
    edited April 2011
    Handhelds are the worst invention ever.
    1. Small screen.
    2. Looking down all the time makes neck hurt which then leads to horrible headache.
    3. Why play games on a 10x8cm screen at home when you have a 2x1,6m sized TV screen? :-/
    4. Real gamers don't leave their room ever (except to go to the toilet), so being mobile is pointless.

Oh my, going to have to break this down.

1. This is a pretty stupid reason, considering that unless you want to carry something the size of a laptop with you wherever you go (very stupid thing to do and way too bulky), small size is good for PORTABLE (keyword here) gaming.
    2. Then why aren't you laying on the bed looking up while playing it? That fixes the problem right there, as does holding it in front of you with your arms on a table.
    3. What part of PORTABLE (meaning you can take it anywhere and play it anywhere, like on a train) gaming don't you understand?
    4. Oh, you mean that cliche "live in the parents' basement" crap that was proven to be so much of a minority that it's the equivalent of people born with Albino skin?

Give me some real reasons, not this list of "I've never tried portable gaming so I'm going to make up stuff" crap.

Same here. I've already clocked about half of the hours that I've spent on my PS2 this last year on the PSP (that's about 500 hours on the PS2, meaning 250 on the PSP).
    Wheels wrote: »

You got that feeling too? My only question is...how would the turn based system work in multiplayer?
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    A multiplayer Star Ocean?

...fark.
    Terrifying, isn't it?
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited April 2011
    2. Then why aren't you laying on the bed looking up while playing it? That fixes the problem right there, as does holding it in front of you with your arms on a table.

This isn't really a solution, at least for me. If I'm laying down and playing, my arms eventually get sore (much worse than my neck ever has) and I can't go on playing for any extended period of time.

I'm not too thrilled about these handheld announcements either though. While I love my DS and PSP, I find that most games with intense action or battle systems are not fit for the smaller control scheme these systems offer. Even YS Seven, the best action game on the PSP IMO suffered from getting fingerprints on the screen and hand cramps that I never get when playing something like MvC3, for example.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    You got that feeling too? My only question is...how would the turn based system work in multiplayer?
    The 3DS one hasn't been confirmed to be turned based or multiplayer.
    edited April 2011

Fitting since it's the one with the least amount revealed by Gotanda. At the very least we'll get something unique. You can never accuse tri-Ace of being stereotypical in game design
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I want them both!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
    edited April 2011
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Since when does 3D dungeon RPG mean Ico? God damn Japan I can't keep these arbitrary genre definitions straight anymore.
    edited April 2011
    I see Ico-ish graphics...damn now I want to see Ico on the PSP. -_-
    edited April 2011

All I can think to say is "wow"
    sig.gif
    edited April 2011
    Wow! Pretty!!

I hope the storytelling is more implicit than explicit ...
    edited April 2011
    All I can think to say is "wow"

That's the 3DS for ya. Also, the official site has an AWESOME piece of music
    edited April 2011
    That's the 3DS for ya. Also, the official site has an AWESOME piece of music

Have they said who the composer is? Kohei Tanaka maybe?
    sig.gif
    edited April 2011
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    This isn't really a solution, at least for me. If I'm laying down and playing, my arms eventually get sore (much worse than my neck ever has) and I can't go on playing for any extended period of time.

I'm not too thrilled about these handheld announcements either though. While I love my DS and PSP, I find that most games with intense action or battle systems are not fit for the smaller control scheme these systems offer. Even YS Seven, the best action game on the PSP IMO suffered from getting fingerprints on the screen and hand cramps that I never get when playing something like MvC3, for example.
    This.

Lieing in bed in any other position than sideways is not very healthy for the back either. And on top of that lieing in bed for more than 10 hours a day (including sleep time) is even more unhealthy. Never lied in bed for too long and felt really bad afterwards / got headache?

Portability is for me not an issue as I never leave my room (hikikomori). And I love large screens. That's why I used up all my money to buy a huge-*** television and PC monitor after all. You can't imagine how amazing it is to play a game like that.

Handhelds don't even give me the feeling of really BEING the character I play. Or really being in the world I play in. Screen is too small for that.

I don't really see a reason why every 2D RPG has to be released on handhelds when consoles have so many advantages. :-/
    edited April 2011
    I don't really see a reason why every 2D RPG has to be released on handhelds when consoles have so many advantages. :-/

Price and ease. Handhelds are just cheaper to develop for and their low power also means less resources need to be used to make them so they also take less time. That's the ultimate advantage they have over consoles
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Price and ease. Handhelds are just cheaper to develop for and their low power also means less resources need to be used to make them so they also take less time. That's the ultimate advantage they have over consoles

Also culture. Japanese games are tailored for Japanese gamers, and Japanese gamers are all portable gamers now.

Also, I want that 3DS one. That thing is gorgeous. The PSP one doesn't impress me as much, I'd want to hear more about it, but knowing that it's by some of the same guys that worked on VP2 and RoF doesn't fill me with confidence.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited April 2011
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Also culture. Japanese games are tailored for Japanese gamers, and Japanese gamers are all portable gamers now.

Also, I want that 3DS one. That thing is gorgeous. The PSP one doesn't impress me as much, I'd want to hear more about it, but knowing that it's by some of the same guys that worked on VP2 and RoF doesn't fill me with confidence.

You've got that backwards, the 3DS one is by the VP2/RoF guys. They don't specify who's making Frontier Gate
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited April 2011
    never thought that the 3DS was capable of such beautiful graphics. This is way more powerful than the PS2 was!
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited April 2011
    LordKaiser wrote: »
    never thought that the 3DS was capable of such beautiful graphics. This is way more powerful than the PS2 was!

Absolutely, some early 3DS games show this off (Street Fighter looks REALLY good).
    sig.gif
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Dang those screens look nice. Woah indeed. I really do think the 3DS is going to be a slow burn like the DS originally was. All the good stuff is still a ways off unfortunately :\
    LordKaiser wrote: »

Oh yeah. The specs are on par with the PSP which was already capable of PS2 graphics (or slightly better, I forget the hype exactly).
    So long & thanks for all the fish!