If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Best (and Worst) Female RPG Characters

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited June 2011 in Role Playing Games
This is a topic that myself a good friend, Kimberley Wallace (who is the managing editor over at RPG Fan) have been discussing a lot lately, especially since the Sexism Podcast we did here at RPGamer. Over at the 'Fan they made a list of all their favourite female protagonists. You can see the feature here: http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Best_Female_RPG_Characters/index.html

What do you guys think? I'm personally thrilled to see some classic heroines on the list such as Celes (!), Alis (!!!) and Alys (!!!!!). I'm also thrilled my two personal favourite heroines made the cut (Lenneth and Mitsuru). I also love that Shirley from Tales of the Legendia was listed as one of the worst (but I'm in the camp that agrees that Senel should have picked Chloe). Also FEMSHEP! She'll mess you up, yo!

So what are your thoughts? Who do you think they missed? All that list needed was some of the strong babes from Suikoden (Kika, Elenor, Lucretia, Cleo, Annabelle, I could go on).

Personally though, I like this list a lot. :)

Comments

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    I know Celes tends to get the nod over Terra on the awesome-femalometer, but it seems to be because Celes is a love interest and contemplates suicide (edgy and sensitive!) while Terra is a half monster who would rather raise orphans alone than enjoy the company of a man. Those are the very reasons why I think Terra is the better female in FF6. You first meet Celes when she's chained to a wall in a basement, helplessly awaiting death until a suave manly man saves the day. She feeds raw fish to her sick father figure until he dies, then gets emotional and goes to leap off a cliff... until she remembers Suave Manly Man and decides to hop on a raft a man built for her and wade to the mainland that was a couple miles away all along.

I prefer Terra. Her struggles over gaining acceptance -- both internally and from others -- give her an interesting background and more character growth than Swooning Woman Soldier in Constant Need of Rescuing. Half monster, raised to be a weapon of war, and a living reminder of a past the world wants to forget, Terra was always the central character to me. The ending focuses on her decision to erase magic from the world, even knowing it might kill her -- a sacrifice I put well above Celes' "I just killed Fake Daddy, suicide time!" take on sacrifice. In the World of Ruin, she's actively trying to help the helpless by, uh, teaching orphan teenagers to breed.... and getting them food and other stuff too, I think. She's the most selfless, interesting, strong woman in the game by far, is the most developed and well rounded character period, and even though she's a toolbelt and a hammer away from a lesbian stereotype, I think she's the pinnacle of Square's attempts at making flawed protagonists who must overcome the odds against them. The subtlety to her is something SE has abandoned since.

Holy Terra rave, Batman! Don't know where that came from. I do like Celes too, and the RPGFan list is solid. I'd have Lenneth #2 and don't feel the need to defend bumping her up. Fall-From-Grace is my number 1, hands down (Grandma Wilson old WRPG reference, sorry kids!). In short, Fall-From-Grace is a succubus who "falls" by choosing not to follow her demonic nature. She becomes a priest and opens a brothel for intellectual lusts where the prostitutes are paid for mental and conversational pleasures rather than sexual ones, and although the game makes it clear she is in constant torment -- every party member in Planescape: Torment is -- she is the only one who doesn't explain exactly why. It's implied that resisting her nature tortures her daily.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Glad to see Raquel make the list, I think she's one of my favorite female characters. I had nearly forgotten about her until I saw her there, too, it's been so long since I played WA4. Kaine is also a great choice. Also happy to see all of SO4's cast make the worst list. They definitely deserve to be there.

My favorite female characters tend to be the ones that end up in the best romances. Raquel had a fantastic end-scene at the end of WA4, for example, that's probably one of the most poetic moments in any game I've played. Others I particularly liked are Dagger (FF9), Ridley (Radiata Stories), Tali (ME, ME2), and just for kicks, I'm going to say the Time Goddess from Half-Minute Hero.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited April 2011
    Just read that list, and overall I agree with alot of their picks. I highly disagree with Yuzu in as worst female though, there are so, so many worse than Yuzu. Maybe thats my Devil Survivor bias kicking in, but still.

My favorites include: Estelle Bright, Elhaym Van Houten, Lenneth and Mitsuro which were covered, Gemini Sunrise, Lightning, Virgina Maxwell, and The Boss (Non RPG) among others. Infact, these characters are also some of my favorite in gaming period, as opposed to standing out just because they were female.

Worst that I can think of at the moment: Star Ocean 4s, Xelha, Ar Tonelico 3's Saki, and maybe that girl from Grandia 3 Alfina? I don't know why, but Xelha in particular really aggrivated me. I remember thinking to myself that I had never seen a more typical Mary Sue in all of my life, which is why I was hoping she would be involved the big plot twist.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2011
    Glad to see some of the best female leads got on that list. It's a shame that I didn't see Karin from Shadow Hearts: Covenant, but you wouldnt be able to add her without some serious spoilers.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited April 2011
    7th, I think that's a rather harsh assessment of Celes. Especially in regards to her suicide - don't forget that the real reason she was despondent was because as far as she and Cid knew, everyone on Earth was dead and the world ended a year ago. With Cid dead, she was the last person alive after the apocalypse. Yea, I think she gets a free pass for wanting to end it all before the inevitable starvation set in (not to mention the scurvy - geez, Cid, no oranges after the apocalypse?). Oh, and Cid was a dick for not telling her about the raft in the basement right away, so she also thought she had no way to at least get off the crappy island and find out if there was anyone else on the planet. Yea...Cid's a terrible grandfather :P

Anyway, regarding the list, most of the choices were fine, but what's up with Fem!Shep? Fem!Shep has a great voice actress giving her life, and I love to play Mass Effect as a lady, but she's just a distaff counterpart to a default male main character. They share almost all of the same dialog (aside from gender-specific romances), and hell, even some of the same masculine animation sets. It's not a female character, it's a male character with a small amount of female dialog added to an optional romance subplot.

A good female character is one where you'd lose an essential part of the character if you switched the gender. This is a mistake I think a lot of people make when trying to create "strong female characters" that are really just personality free "men with boobs". I'm not saying they need to be a flowery bubble of feminine bubbles, but women experience the world in unique ways. I think there's a lot of fertile ground (especially in gaming) to explore on that front. Fem!Shep doesn't even touch on that - for starters, I'm kind of surprised there's no discussion on women in the future military considering that even today, it's still a bit of a rarity and they face a lot of challenges that male soldiers don't. The plethora of female soldiers and officers in the game suggests that women have ascended into higher ranks in the military in the 2100s, but that doesn't happen overnight and surely wouldn't be a universal stand across an entire galaxy of different cultures. Where is any of that in Mass Effect, even if its just a handwave to suggest that the world of the future has found a stronger role for them? And hell, considering how all the romances in Mass Effect end with sex, you'd think they could include at least one conversation about making sure Fem!Shep won't get pregnant during a mission.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I'd throw in the majority of the female cast of both Dragon Age games for consideration. In fact, I'd say that Aveline is probably one of the best "strong female character(s) & more than a personality-free-man-with-boobs" that springs immediately to mind.

On the JRPG side of things: Rika (PSIV), Lyn (Fire Emblem), Freya (FFIX) and Ashe (FFXII) have always been favourites. Probably for a bizarre mix of utility in combat + personality. Generally, I kept them in my party for the entire stretches of their respective games and thus grew attached. I'm not going to defend the objective merits of any of them, though. I know in particular Ashe gets a lot of flak.
  • AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    The Good:

This is a good list, but I can't count Shepard. Shepard isn't so much a character as she is a player-proxy, just someone whose characterization is up to the player and is more like a choose-your-own-adventure book. I would remove her and put in Elly from Xenogears because her whole arc and development and her relationship to Fei is ABSOLUTELY central to the plot.

Honorables:

Again, good choices. I like the mention of Samus. Not sure if I should count Chun-Li though. If anything I'd pick one of the Blazblue women

The Shameful:

First, a rant.

Oh. My. GOD. I HATE Shion with a PASSION. Not only is she a terrible, emotionally unstable, manipulative, whiny, pushy, petulant, arrogant, spoiled, self-entitled -insert expletive here-, she also CANNOT justify her existence in the storyline and she's BORING. And I STILL can't believe it since the series' spiritual predecessor had Elly who is one of my favorite female characters and her story with Fei is actually IMPORTANT. Shion has NO reason to be in that plot and practically every other character is INFINITELY better written and more complex than she is (seriously, Ziggy, Jin, chaos, and KOS-MOS should have been the entire cast). Either the writers just blew themselves out after one game or it wasn't just them that contributed to the story (and since Kato wasn't on 'Saga, I can't help but be suspicious).

The Star Ocean cast I can't blame them for, but I did like them. I also disagree with Peach mostly due to her involvement being an excuse to have a vague justification for wanting to reach the end of the Mario games. Peach isn't really a character except in the RPGs and in the RPGs she's pretty awesome
    edited April 2011
    Eh, Kato did write Kid. And while Kid is a fully fleshed out character, he also hijacked someone else's game to make her the center of the entire Chrono universe, to the point where she is apparently the only exception to "time travel is bad".

At least his Mary Sues aren't so obnoxious. Pirate accent aside, Kid's not too bad (except that for some STUPID reason, you can't recruit her early in the game without missing out on a lot of good teammates. GUIDE DANGIT!)
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Aiddon wrote: »
    (seriously, Ziggy, Jin, chaos, and KOS-MOS should have been the entire cast)
    Agreed...
    . Either the writers just blew themselves out after one game or it wasn't just them that contributed to the story (and since Kato wasn't on 'Saga, I can't help but be suspicious).
    Kato penned only a few scenarios of 'Gears' story, and neither created nor defined the characterization ofany of the main cast.

Speaking of Kato, I've always liked Kid; she'd be on my list. Also FFT's Agrias, FFXII's Ashe, Vagrant Story's Callo, Langrisser III's Freya, XG's Elly, and surely more that I'm forgetting.

And really--no honorable mention to Sarah "Queen @%$^# of the Universe" Kerrigan?
    edited April 2011
    I wish Kid was in a better game. It's the plot importance placed on her that bugs me.

I'd toss Faith from Mirror's Edge onto that "other games" list. I like her on a lot of levels, and I'm still holding out that someday they will work out how to do Mirror's Edge 2.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    notce in the Star Ocean one they didn't mention Remie at all

Never mind didn't read far enough cause it made me so disgusted, true but disgusted trying to read it.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited April 2011
    Jormungand wrote: »
    Agreed...

Kato penned only a few scenarios of 'Gears' story, and neither created nor defined the characterization ofany of the main cast.

Speaking of Kato, I've always liked Kid; she'd be on my list. Also FFT's Agrias, FFXII's Ashe, Vagrant Story's Callo, Langrisser III's Freya, XG's Elly, and surely more that I'm forgetting.

And really--no honorable mention to Sarah "Queen @%$^# of the Universe" Kerrigan?

That's the thing that always bugged. I know OFFICIALLY Kato was said to not have been really involved in Gears...but I also find it HIGHLY suspicious that 'Saga didn't have him around and turned out to be vastly inferior on all fronts. I'm probably reading too much into this, but I always found that to be a really weird coincidence. Makes me wonder if Kato was an editor who helped articulate Takahashi and Saga's ideas, because sometimes people need help in expressing their ideas.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Maybe there has to be categories for it. People have given a lot of "best female main character."

I nominate Goddess from Half Minute Hero for best female comic relief character.

For main character, I like Estelle Bright and Jessica from Lunar Silver Star Story. I like Jessica because of her short temper. She is very cute when angry.

Peach kicks butt in Super Princess Peach. In a twist, Peach has to save Mario in the game. In the RPGs she's pretty good too. However, Peach has about as much characterization as Mario (i.e. not much).
    edited April 2011
    Maybe there has to be categories for it. People have given a lot of "best female main character."

I nominate Goddess from Half Minute Hero for best female comic relief character.

For main character, I like Estelle Bright and Jessica from Lunar Silver Star Story. I like Jessica because of her short temper. She is very cute when angry.

Peach kicks butt in Super Princess Peach. In a twist, Peach has to save Mario in the game. In the RPGs she's pretty good too. However, Peach has about as much characterization as Mario (i.e. not much).

Indeed, there's a difference between "icon" and "character"
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited April 2011
    Rebochan wrote: »
    I'd toss Faith from Mirror's Edge onto that "other games" list. I like her on a lot of levels, and I'm still holding out that someday they will work out how to do Mirror's Edge 2.

One word: Portals.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited May 2011
    Wow, I’m especially impressed that both Alis and Alys are on there. I mostly agree with the list (the characters that I know, anyway), so I’ll just post a few I really like and admire that aren’t on it (in no particular order).

Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia) – I find Raine to be a very interesting, complex character. She’s mostly the no nonsense, rational, mature one of the group, though she’s not against smacking someone who says or does something stupid. She’s highly intelligent and while more or less specializes in archeology, she’s loves to learn. Yet she’s around ruins or other points of interest, she personality completely changes, as she becomes extremely excitable and loses her usual calm demeanor. She has quite the sad past, too, and you can really see how it has affected her current self.

Xelha (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean) - I can sort of see why she could be considered a Mary Sue, but I find her to be a fascinating character. She seems to be the stereotypical RPG heroine: she’s a love interest for Kalas, the main character, the first party member he encounters, wears pink, is a mage who specializes in light magic, is carrying some mysterious pendant the evil empire is after
    Spoiler:
    Is secretly a queen who is secretly the carrier of the ocean who will die after she releases is
    and there’s probably more I’m forgetting. She certainly doesn’t break the mold but I’d say she cracks it and she takes those archetypes into some different directions. She is almost never the damsel in distress and she even
    Spoiler:
    saves the main character, both his life and his soul.
    . She also tries to find a different meaning for her life than
    Spoiler:
    just being the carrier of the ocean. She can’t be entirely normal, but she can sure try.
    I have a great deal of respect for Xelha.

Marta Lualdi (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World) - One of my most favorite main female protagonists of all. Marta gets a lot of flak, but she is an interesting character despite her main shtick being the Clingy Jealous Girl. The game really concentrates on her characterization and development, which makes sense as she and Emil are the only two new playable characters. She latches onto Emil, thinking he saved her and making him out to be this perfect fearless knight that he isn’t. It’s only after he snaps at her that she realizes she’s being unfair to him, and starts to tone down the clinginess. She helps Emil to grow a spine and make friends, but she’s hardly without her faults. Emil helps her to realize and begin to change these, just as she helps him. It’s this mutual growth that not only makes Emil and Marta my most favorite video game couple, but two of my most favorite individual characters. I found her obsessive-ness funny, but I didn’t really start to really like and respect her until after character development begins, though I did like her assertiveness.

Dia (Luminous Arc 2) Despite being the defacto leader of the Magic Association and the principal of Rev Magic Academy, Dia is brash, in your face, scattered brained, and overconfident. At first you have to wonder how someone like her became a teacher, let alone leader of a powerful magic organization. Yet when things get serious, so does she. She’s responsible when she most needs to be, very smart, and is a surprisingly adept leader. She can take it too far, too. Even so, I actually rather like her bluntness. She's quite funny and says some pretty clever things. Dia is also not afraid to put someone in his/her (usually Kaph’s) place.

There are many more female characters that I like, but these are some of my most favorite. I rarely hate, or strongly dislike characters. At most, I’m indifferent to them. There is one that I feel could probably count as a bad female character, even if I don’t outright hate her.

Morte Ashera (Sands of Destruction) - Good Arceus, is her characterization a mess. I don’t usually dislike flat characters, which Morte is. However, at least most flat characters say and do things that make sense to their personality. Morte doesn’t. She wants to destroy the world, and she has no reason to do this. Not only does the game not reveal why she does what she does, it actually make fun of it. Oh, but it gets worse. With little rhyme or reason, she falls in love for main Kyrie. You see Kyrie crushing on her, but they barely interacted much beforehand. He seems too much of an indecisive wimp at first to appeal to her, and it doesn‘t seem like she really got to know him well. Why does she start to like him? Who the bloody heck knows. And then
    Spoiler:
    she goes along with Kyrie’s plan to recreate the world instead of destroying it. If she was so resolute on destroying the world, why does she suddenly want to create a new one? Maybe she isn’t an homicidal maniac, but that just goes back to the question of why she wanted the world destroyed in the first place. Did Kyrie change her mind? That goes back to how she suddenly falls for him.
    Sega, Imageepoch, Masato Kato, or somebody else, if not all of them combined really dropped the ball on her characterization. This game has some heavy flaws, but Morte's characterization is my number one beef with Sands of Destruction.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Well the unnecessary space filled be female Shepperd should be replaced by Virginia Maxwell from Wild Arms 3. She's very optimistic, persuasive and smart who was the reason even Jet who is a sexist decided to follow her after she shut his mouth with a simple question. BTW I heard rumors that Alis and Alys are actually the same person but it may be false.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    You know, I'm having a huge issue with everyone ragging on Fem Shepard. She has every right to be on that list as every other character does. You shape her voice, and not everyone gives her the same voice. Regardless of the voice you give her, she still encapsulates the strength and prowess of any female character other there. I'm totally all for having her on there.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited May 2011
    I played as female Shepard and wouldn't consider any other option for Mass Effect. I guess the issue I can see people having with it is that she's an option, not a character everyone's going to see. Kinda like the male and female Persona 3 Portable leads. That said, I agree that she's awesome.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Tequila MockingbirdTequila Mockingbird Resident Cannibal Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Hmm, I think one of my all time favorite female characters from an RPG was Ritz from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. While not weighing heavily in the story. Ritz' conflicting desire to stay within the fabricated Ivalice or aid in Marche's unraveling campaign always made her intriguing!.

I also LOVE Maria from Knights in the Nightmare. MAKE IT RAIN! MAKE IT RAIN! MAKE IT RAIN ON THEM SOULS. Judith, Rita (Tales of Vesperia), Samus, oh God sooooo many.

I find that female antagonists like Pronyma (From Tales of Symphonia) and LeGretta (from Tales of the Abyss), and Alice (Dawn of the New World) strike chords in me as well.

The Bad...

Claves, Eternal Sonata. Seriously... I don't know... I just can't stand her.
    edited May 2011
    Nyx wrote: »
    You know, I'm having a huge issue with everyone ragging on Fem Shepard. She has every right to be on that list as every other character does. You shape her voice, and not everyone gives her the same voice. Regardless of the voice you give her, she still encapsulates the strength and prowess of any female character other there. I'm totally all for having her on there.

Except she's not a unique, female character. She's the female skin of the intended male lead. Jennifer Hale delivers a great performance, but the character is not intended to be a strong, female lead - just a character where the gender of the presentation is up to the player. And if BioWare is to be believed, two-thirds of the player base don't even switch off the default male, so they don't even experience the game as a woman. If they did, however, they would have almost the same experience with the only difference being the optional romances.
    Hmm, I think one of my all time favorite female characters from an RPG was Ritz from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. While not weighing heavily in the story. Ritz' conflicting desire to stay within the fabricated Ivalice or aid in Marche's unraveling campaign always made her intriguing!.

Ritz always bugged me just because her motivation for wanting to doom the rest of the planet to living in the fantasy world of four dysfunctional children was...her hair color is naturally white and she has to dye it red in the real world.

I mean, really? You've got three kids who've lost parents due to various circumstances, one of whom is wheelchair bound, and you're bitching that your hair is white?

Always killed the character for me.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited May 2011
    I agree with Rebo and the same can be said about lady Hawke.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    Ritz' hair was not to be, IMO, interpreted literally. It did a good job of showing how youth can be swept up in a fantasy and struggle between doing "what's right" and what they want. Personally I think it was an example of a very common "this is the thing that ostracizes me" theme we see in "acceptable bullying" -- though as adults, we all know this type of nonsense shouldn't happen, yet it still does. Heck, this last week's Glee episode was all about this topic. Mind you, maybe it hit home a little more for me -- I went grey very young and dyed MY hair red, so nyah.
  • shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Princess Alena from DQ4 was an interesting spitfire.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited May 2011
    I liked Emma Honeywell from The Last Remnant. I'm probably one of few people who liked the game, but me liking it had to do more with combat than great characters. She is probably the only character that was really good and the only one I cared for. One of my favorite female characters.
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited May 2011
    I keep forgetting about Emma. Great character.
  • Tequila MockingbirdTequila Mockingbird Resident Cannibal Full Members
    edited May 2011

Ritz always bugged me just because her motivation for wanting to doom the rest of the planet to living in the fantasy world of four dysfunctional children was...her hair color is naturally white and she has to dye it red in the real world.

I mean, really? You've got three kids who've lost parents due to various circumstances, one of whom is wheelchair bound, and you're bitching that your hair is white?

Always killed the character for me.

She came to accept her lack of pigmentation at the end though. :) Also, they were kids ~ 12 and younger I can see how wanting to doom the rest of the world for a fantasy land where they can be themselves without having to feel disliked or teased for being different is appealing. Especially when kids throw snowballs with rocks hidden in them.
  • P-cubeP-cube New Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    My favorite female RPG character will always be Terra of Final Fantasy 6. She embodies everything I would like to see in an RPG lead. She starts off as a tool to be used and lacks direction, but through the story is reborn as a protective mother figure for the orphans in Mobliz. She and Kefka form the typical Final Fantasy dichotomy that you see in each story.

My least favorite female RPG character is Yuffie of FF7. She adds nothing to the game but a piece of wank candy for anime nerds.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited May 2011
    My favorite RPG character is Welch from Star Ocean The Last Hope.
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    A good female character is one where you'd lose an essential part of the character if you switched the gender. This is a mistake I think a lot of people make when trying to create "strong female characters" that are really just personality free "men with boobs".

Strongly disagree with this. Yeah, game designers can fall into the trap that you mentioned, but that has nothing to do with gender. It has everything to do with poor character development, male or female. It's very possible to write a character who can be very similar as either gender and yet still be a fascinating, well-developed character.