If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

My Xenosaga Review

MetacodMetacod MemberFull Members
edited June 2003 in Site & Forum Support
A review of Xenosaga Eps. 1 I wrote was just posted on RPGamer, and you can find it at:
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/xeno/xenosaga/reviews/xenosagardrev5.html
I know most review writers don't start an entire thread about their own reviews, but I would like to see what people I know from the RPGamer boards have to say about it.

Comments?

Comments

• VargasVargas Member Full Members
    edited May 2003
    I quite approve of this review, actually. I think that it really conveys a good feeling of what the game is like. Your description of T.T. as a storyteller hits the nail right on the head. Good job!
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited May 2003
    Well, anyone else? As of this writing, this topic has 53 views, and yet only one person has responded. Certainly others have opinions?

Oh, and thanks, Vargas. smile.gif
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited May 2003
    I've only got a couple o' minutes left of free time before I gotta go, but I can't just leave ya hangin' here begging for responses and not toss you something. ?Curse my charitable nature.

Due to the aforementioned time constraints, I do not have time to read the whole thing, but hey, that's why God put those little numbers in our reviews. ?I looked at the cool numbers and those seemed to be close to my own opinion of the game, with the exception of the "replay value" category, which I would've had a few points lower. ?Maybe I'll comment further tomorrow.

• Technical DifficultyTechnical Difficulty Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Another, more story-related annoyance is the fact that many of the tasks the player is required to perform, like rescuing citizens during an attack on a city or delivering dinner to a shipmate, seem menial and unimportant to the overall tale. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I agree. I mean, when I had to take that plate of curry to that guy ( forgot his name ), I was thinking why that part couldn't have just bee in a cut scene. There were plenty of cut scenes having to do with fairly mundane things, so why tease the player into thinking he'll get to play when all you do is bring food to someone, only to sit through 15 more minutes of dialouge?

You've gotta have stuff like that in though. It adds to the realism, and helps create an emotional bond with the character. I think it's probably easier to bond with the character if, after slaying a huge monster/gnosis/mech/whatever, you see them doing normal things. Things you could see yourself putting down the controller and doing in 30 minutes. But I don't see why it couldn't have been a cut scene though.

Nice job, it was a good read.
  • Auk14HPAuk14HP Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Technical Difficulty @ May 31 2003,19:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yeah, I agree. I mean, when I had to take that plate of curry to that guy ( forgot his name ), I was thinking why that part couldn't have just been in a cut scene...

Things you could see yourself putting down the controller and doing in 30 minutes...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Lol, after having spent way too much time tracking that guy down in the game to give him his damn food, I don't think I could ever see myself doing that again, either in-game or in real-life. ?

But kudos to you Meta on your "poorly designed interior for the spacecrafts" comment. ?Those things truly had a confusing layout. ?Really took away from the game in the beginning...
  • Holy DragoonHoly Dragoon Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    A very eloquent review. Definetly a cut above some of the recent submissons.
  • TMoneyTMoney Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Very informative review that I enjoyed reading. I decided to go with FFX over Xenosaga as my first major task playing an RPG, but did read your review before making the final decision. I am sure by the end of the summer though I will be playing Xenosaga.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Nice review. Good covering of both the good and bad points of the game, alongside clearly explaining the nature of it. Less fanboyish than my own, I must say. ^^;

Dracos
  • Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I was impressed, for one. ?Xenosaga is one of those games that I never picked up simply because I don't know whether it's worth my time to watch all those cutscenes. ?That has more to do with my personal free time, but...yeah.

Metacod: if you want a personal comparison regarding first reviews, take a look at this oldie:

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/socean/so2/reviews/so2rdrev5.html

Kudos for you controlling the fanboy urge. ?Perhaps we'll see more material in the future? biggrin.gif
  • Sonny CaesarSonny Caesar Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I agree with 99% of your review.

The only thing that shocked me was the "uninspired dialogue" bit. I mean, even geniuses can say some silly things. Plus they were both obviously nervous. Kind of like Fei and Grahf in Xenogears: "My father? You mean my dad?". It's just a way to express the flaws of human dialogue. Though, of course, it might just be my obsession with the Xeno series..