If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

A Year of Classic Console Games - July - Vagrant Story

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited August 2011 in Role Playing Games
This month we will be exploring Vagrant Story, which released back in 2000 for the PlayStation. Let's prepare our solo dungeon crawl through Le

Comments

• NimNim _ Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I'm in. I started a bit early but stopped playing due to enormous backlog. Doubt I will be able to finish it before months end.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Propably the hardest classic RPG in the list this year

Let's see if I can finish it for the first time...

*dowloads walkthrough on Gamefaqs*
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2011
    I'm going to need to restart this, though I learned something from the guys on GameFAQs that is really important to know...affinity (strong against beast, undead, etc) is nowhere near as important as whether the weapon is slash, blunt, or pierce. Those 3 weapon types are more important, for they compose the main damage dealt to the enemy. The affinity are just the bonuses to the damage. Keep that in mind while playing, alright?
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TheLegendaryZoltanTheLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Crap! It's already July and I'm not done playing Rorona, yet. What to do? It sounds freaking awesome to me though.
    Like JRPGs?
    Want to hear a JRPG podcast that actually has a unique format?
    Check out Turn Based Memories!
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Never played this one before. Haven't even powered it up. So I'm hoping it will be good, but that it won't be so complex that I can't finish this month.
    edited July 2011
    Wow, no in-game tutorial... ok then. Take two!
    edited July 2011
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Wow, no in-game tutorial... ok then. Take two!

Actually, there is. Quick Notes is the tutorial if I remember correctly. That shall help you out quite a bit.

I reached the save point immediately after that suit of armor after the first Minotaur, and I've unlocked one of the defense chain abilities. Now that I know that the blunt/edged/pierce type is more important than the other stuff on the weapon, I'm killing things much faster than in the first playthrough. I'll pick this up again tomorrow to see how far I can get then.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited July 2011
    Got past the second boss. It is a bit clunky so far, but I think the combat will be fun, now that the arts have come in.
    edited July 2011
    Got past the Golem and Wyvern bosses, and reached the workshop in the 'town' here. A warning about the Wyvern, nothing you use will truly be powerful against him, so it's more of a fight of endurance against him, but AVOID PIERCING WEAPONS, since those do next to 0 damage. Blunt and Edged seem to do better, though again nothing you have here will do much damage, even with Prostasia on.

Also, I got all the defense chain abilities, so now I have to work on the offense chain abilities. I also combined several of the armor and weapons together to get them more powerful, so I'll be ready for the next boss fight.
  • sakicfan84sakicfan84 Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    First timer with Vagrant Story. Always a game I wanted to play but another one of those titles that I just didn't have the time for.

Just made it through the intro this morning and started off. A little over whelmed at the moment, going to do a little research on some gameplay information.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I hate this games menu system with so much a passion I won't even play it.

But I did know a guy in the Navy with the symbol from the game tattoo'd on his back
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I really disliked the game. The battle system was just stupid and it's too much about browsing menus and crafting.

Also in the game at some point I was only doing 1 damage with every attack. Luckily doing combas was so ridiculously easy, that I could do unlimited combos, then I put together with that "1 more damage than previous hit" ability and could still get really far. Unfortunately there was some region with a time limit. Never managed to kill all the monsters within the time limit.
    edited July 2011
    As I said before (which I found out after I stopped playing the game for a while) it's the weapon type that determines the damage. So if you constantly spam the sword, you'll find enemies you can't do much damage to and it'll get very annoying very fast. So it's best to take 1 weapon that has high edged, 1 weapon that has high blunt, and a final weapon that has high pierce for the entirety of the game. Helps with alot of the damage problems.
    edited July 2011
    Made it through the Forest (which is the most annoying maze I've been through as of late) and I'm now at the save point right before the fight with
    Spoiler:
    Rosencratz
    and I've done well. 3 more attack chain commands have been unlocked (silence, MP attack, and MP drain effects) and I'm hoping to get past him and through what may be the most evil part of this game for the items needed to continue it...The Iron Maiden.
    edited July 2011
    I just got through the mines...I can see why you hate the time limit here, Rya. This is an entire zone with a time limit, ending with a boss that STILL has the countdown going. Thankfully, I did a check and I'm about 70% through the game. At least I know there's not much farther left...unless they throw a curveball at me.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Borrowed this from a friend years ago. Got my *** handed to me, put it down and never tried it again. I managed to find a used copy of it in Versailles of all places, and I'll probably have another go. Possibly next year.
    edited July 2011
    Made it a little farther last night, just beat the fourth boss. I can see that the game has potential, but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. I'm struggling to get excited about the game right now, and the crafting seems super complicated... which is not something I enjoy.
    edited July 2011
    I went through and completed the Iron Maiden B1, and got the Chest Key along with some other things. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and the bosses within were just plain pathetic. I also beat the water elemental, and saved immediately after that. It's getting close to endgame, I can feel it!
    edited July 2011
    Still poking around on this. I'm at about 35% cleared right now, and I'm starting to get a feel for the crafting system a bit now. Need to bear down and make some good progress this weekend.
    edited July 2011
    My friend picked up his PSP yesterday, so I have to bow out of this month's challenge unless I can spend the night at his house within the next 16 days and play it there (we usually play multiplayer games, but sometimes we'll both be playing PS1 classic games).
  • AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Ah, Vagrant Story, arguably Matsuno's best game. Too bad he never got a proper chance with the FF series (man, XII was awful), though hopefully he has better luck at Level-5 (who are SEVERELY lacking in the writing department).
    edited July 2011
    Up through the Water Elemental now. Game is still growing on me, but it can get very frustrating at times. Not that it is hard, but that it can take five minutes to kill one enemy if you don't have just the right weapon for it.
    edited July 2011
    Wow... I officially hate this game now. I'm at the final boss, and no matter what I do I can only hit him for about 5 or 6 damage max. Then about 60-75 minute into the fight, after I finally get a chain that may have amounted to 60 damage or so, he OHKOs me with an attack that had earlier only done about 80 damage. I'm going to finish this game, but I may break the disc in half after I'm done.
    edited July 2011
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Wow... I officially hate this game now. I'm at the final boss, and no matter what I do I can only hit him for about 5 or 6 damage max. Then about 60-75 minute into the fight, after I finally get a chain that may have amounted to 60 damage or so, he OHKOs me with an attack that had earlier only done about 80 damage. I'm going to finish this game, but I may break the disc in half after I'm done.
    You might want to consult a guide for him, as I've heard that is the most evil fight in the game.
  • killxokillxo Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    i've seen this game around quite often, do you guys recommend playing it? it seems hard , but i love a challenge
    edited July 2011
    You might want to consult a guide for him, as I've heard that is the most evil fight in the game.

I figured out what happened I think. As I said he hit me right after I did a pretty good chain on him, and I think my Risk level was too high when he hit me with the attack. I'll give it another shot today if I can block off about an hour. Part of what took me so long the first go around is that I was trying different weapon and gem combinations to see if anything would work. Now that I know nothing is particularly good, I can just stick with one weapon and try to grind it out.
    edited July 2011
    OK... failed in the second go around also, though I was doing much better. Figured out that what probably happened the first time is that he had cast Degenerate on me and I didn't clear it off before the attack came. Because that's what happened this time also. Third time's the charm, right?
    edited July 2011
    Third time was the charm. Rolling credits now. I was actually starting to enjoy this game some until the final boss. Ended with 3.25 million points and 78%. I doubt I will ever give this one a runthrough on new game+, even though I know there is more to it. I'm done, and that's good enough.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    One of those games where you really have to work to figure out the system and how to excel at the game, but once you do, it's very satisfying. One major trick is keeping your weapon's Phantom Points maxed. Forget why, but once you get the hang of PP, I remember the game becoming a whole lot easier.

Final boss drops Excaliburs I think.
  • AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    One of those games where you really have to work to figure out the system and how to excel at the game, but once you do, it's very satisfying. One major trick is keeping your weapon's Phantom Points maxed. Forget why, but once you get the hang of PP, I remember the game becoming a whole lot easier.

Final boss drops Excaliburs I think.

Nope, Excalibur is only rarely dropped by a Last Crusader in the Iron Maiden B2. Oh, and you have to be below 100 HP in order to make it appear.