If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Old Republic definitely launching this year

shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travelFull Members
edited August 2011 in Role Playing Games
EA opened up the pre-order flood gates yesterday and while they're already sold out of the $150 collector's editions, there's apparently plenty of $60 regular editions floating around.

As is standard with these sort of things, a pre-order gets you early access in the form of several weekend tests starting in September.

Are people actually excited about this game? The general feeling I get from this forum is a lot of trepidation despite all the drum beating EA PR is doing.
So long & thanks for all the fish!

Comments

• ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I'm not sure as it's not my kind of MMO. I mean the early stuff I saw had moral choices in an MMO and personally I'm not a fan of karma systems(Can't I just be the stupid hero without too many consequences?)
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I'd play it if it wasn't an MMO. And was made by Obsidian. And not Star Wars.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, about that pre-order thing....

When you pre-ordering from Origin, you're actually REQUESTING the ability to pre-order the game, which will then put you into a queue, and when your turn comes up your pre-order request will be processed. If there are still pre-order copies available, you will then get a confirmation (up to 48 hours from filing the pre-order request) that your pre-order was approved. At this point you will be charged a $5 pre-order fee. Unless EA decides to pre-authorize the entire purchase price of the game at that time, which they have for at least some people. So, if you want to pre-order from Origin, make sure you float the entire price of the game in your bank account for three days or so. Just in case.

To illustrate the concept of waiting in a fake line to possibly get to pre-order a digital copy of a game...

http://i.imgur.com/uaU81.png
    http://i.imgur.com/R3OK8.jpg
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Have they clarified if the $5 is a deposit on the game price or just an extra surcharge? There was a great deal of consfusion in the RPS comments on this fact. Not to mention the facepalm worthiness of all this anyways.

They haven't announced the monthly subscription fee either have they? If they're asking $60 for the basic version, I'm betting $15-20 / month easily.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I don't recall seeing a subscription plan yet, no. But they may have posted somewhere and I just missed it. I'm expecting at least $15/month. I still find it hilarious that MMOs launch for "normal full" price. One would think that they'd launch for $40 or less new, just because of the sub fee. But I suppose one could argue that they do since the first month is free....

AFAIK, the $5 deposit is supposed to be part of the game price, so when the time comes to pay for the full thing you get billed for full price minus $5. No word on whether it's actually *working* like that, though.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I just ordered the regular edition off of Amazon. I wish I had $150 to drop on that collector's edition, but it's not a reality.

Anyway, got the pre-order code right away.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Also pre-ordered from Amazon.com, managed to drop $150 on the collector's edition (and then proceeded to apologize profusely to the wife), and received my pre-order code immediately like Rebochan.

I am looking forward to this game immensely. I am one of "those guys". It's basically WoW (which I love) + Star Wars (which I love) + Biowarey RPG tropes (which I love). Maybe it has some kinks, but they will be worked out over time. WoW wasn't great over night - it took years of refinement. For instance WoW launched with a loot lag bug that locked characters in the looting animation! It took over two weeks to fix this!
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Savorien wrote: »
    Maybe it has some kinks, but they will be worked out over time. WoW wasn't great over night - it took years of refinement. For instance WoW launched with a loot lag bug that locked characters in the looting animation! It took over two weeks to fix this!

I remember Penny-Arcade revoked their recommendation of the game soon after launch because of the issues they had with player loads. I can't fault EA for wanting to make sure that doesn't happen, but I'm cynical enough to believe the game isn't going to be the massive "event" they're hyping it to be (and I suspect this is mostly to keep the investors happy) which will cure all the company's ills.

If people are stoked about it and are looking forward to playing, more power to them I say.
  • Khisanth MagusKhisanth Magus Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Savorien wrote: »
    I am looking forward to this game immensely. I am one of "those guys". It's basically WoW (which I love) + Star Wars (which I love) + Biowarey RPG tropes (which I love). Maybe it has some kinks, but they will be worked out over time. WoW wasn't great over night - it took years of refinement. For instance WoW launched with a loot lag bug that locked characters in the looting animation! It took over two weeks to fix this!

Took them longer than 2 weeks. I was still seeing the bug happen periodically up until Wrath.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I was excited, but I heard some stuff that quelled my excitement (I don't like the art style of the cartoons and the game apparently plays a little too much like a WoW/Everquest clone). I would still like to play it one day, KotoR is my third all-time favourite RPG, but I don't feel the need to jump in ASAP. I'm still hoping for KotoR 3, and I know Bioware wants to do a third game, so it's possible.

I'm actually looking forward to Guild Wars 2 more. It will be nice to have an MMORPG I can play whenever I want.
  • AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    I made my reservation for the Collector's Edition with all the bells and whistles. This'll be my first MMO and I've been excited for this ever since it was announced. The KOTOR games were great and Bioware is still at the top of their game.