If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XV could be an Action-RPG

Comments

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    He would have just been the guy that SE had sit in on the project to ensure that it was running smoothly - the planning and direction were handled by the DQ creator and his people, while the programming was handled by Level-5, I believe. The guy we're talking about is a Squenix man.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Wheels wrote: »
    one love it or hate it game and one bad mmo = rotting zombie for awhile? (the love it or hate it game of course only selling a cool 5 million or so). Yes, rotting zombie...

More like two absolutely boring games and one catastrophe of an MMO = rotting, soulless zombie. Even then Square in general has just been striking out when it comes to other titles like the atrocious (and downright sexist) 3rd Birthday or the abysmal Front Mission Evolved. Plus most of the talented staff like Ishii, Matsuno, Tsuchida, etc have been jumping ship for the past five years and those whoa are left aren't up to snuff.
  • HoT-AlucardHoT-Alucard New Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Interesting, they've got to do something different because 11, 12, 13, and 14 don't even compare to 1-10. Square-Enix needs to go back to it's traditional Final Fantasy ways or try something different to hold my interest.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2011
    Interesting, they've got to do something different because 11, 12, 13, and 14 don't even compare to 1-10. Square-Enix needs to go back to it's traditional Final Fantasy ways or try something different to hold my interest.

Maybe you should got back and play FF2 again if you think its better than 12/13...
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2011
    You ARE aware that every Final Fantasy game has done something different, right? Maybe you've just grown out of the series.

Back on topic, I will only accept the Action-RPG status if they make it as enjoyable as Rogue Galaxy or (from what I've heard) Xenoblade.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you should got back and play FF2 again if you think its better than 12/13...
    FF2 is better than FF12, though. I would know. I played them at the same time. :)
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited December 2011
    FF2 is better than FF12, though. I would know. I played them at the same time. :)
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited December 2011
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    This.

Frankly, FF2 I don't see as a good FF game because it feels like it should have been the first SaGa game. FF12 is just downright unenjoyable in terms of battles unless you have the international version.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited December 2011
    ....I like FFII and XII, though I do prefer II over XII. FFII is even in my top four of the series.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Clix wrote: »
    ....I like FFII and XII, though I do prefer II over XII. FFII is even in my top four of the series.

Which version of II are we talking about? The NES one or one of the many remakes which probably smoothed off enough of the rough edges?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited December 2011
    shoptroll wrote: »
    Which version of II are we talking about? The NES one or one of the many remakes which probably smoothed off enough of the rough edges?

Are you going to argue that one of the remakes is better than FFXII/FFXIII?
    sig.gif
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2011
    Not sure about anyone else, but the one I've enjoyed is the Dawn of Souls version. Was the NES version ever properly released in North America?
    edited December 2011
    Are you going to argue that one of the remakes is better than FFXII/FFXIII?

I'm not, but I'm curious which flavor of II we're talking about here.
    edited December 2011
    I'm not, but I'm curious which flavor of II we're talking about here.

I was lumping them together
    sig.gif
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited December 2011
    I like the PSP version of FFII the most. All the gameplay improvements of Origins/Dawn of Souls with a beautiful face lift to round out the package. I got really addicted to it, and I am usually adverse to grinding. Then again, FFII admittedly has a special place in my heart as my first Final Fantasy back when I got Dawn of Souls. Even when replaying it on PSP as a part of a Year of Final Fantasy (where I played all but XI in twelve consecutive months, including FFXIII, to completion, with only FFIII, X, and XIII being the first complete playthroughs ), I still greatly enjoyed FFII alongside FFV, VI, and VII.
  • xocolatlxocolatl Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    You know what would make me really happy? Something like the original Parasite Eve. It is kinda actiony, and it sure as hell caught everyone's attention the last time.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited February 2012
    Yes, I love Parasite Eve's battle system. It's also like Chrono Trigger's. This "battle on-screen but still with a real battle system separate from outside the battle movement"-system is quite fun.

At this point I'd rather want a traditional ATB battle system where the bar fills a bit slower but that doesn't pause on animations like in FFVI.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited February 2012
    Why not? It's one of the few things they haven't tried experimenting with yet, next to making the game an RTS, FPS or racer. XII and XIII has taught me to trust S-E to come up with a cool battle system so I won't worry about it.

I'm more concerned about the setting for this one. Since they've done pure sci-fi in XIII, I'd like to see a medieval world like in FFIX done with the latest technology.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I prefer settings that are not copied from anything in the real world or from popular legends but rather completely original (like in Baten Kaitos).
  • xocolatlxocolatl Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I prefer settings that are not copied from anything in the real world or from popular legends but rather completely original (like in Baten Kaitos).

The sad thing is that people will claim that it is "not final fantasy". Ironically, FF had always been changing drastically from one game to the next.
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited February 2012
    Give it 5 years, then it suddenly becomes "the best Final Fantasy ever."
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited February 2012
    So Versus XIII will be renamed FFXV?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited February 2012
    Like Rya, I would appreciate a more original world...a place not dominated by neon accents and people wearing unfortunate fashion disasters that make as much functional sense as an eye-patch made of bees.

Now that I think about it...let's give Tetsuya Nomura a break as lead character designer; what he does he does well, it's just not a very diverse portfolio.
    edited May 2012
    edited May 2012
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited May 2012
    Macstorm wrote: »
    No, no, no, no, no. To quote Senator Vreenak. "It's a fake."

Oh you're no fun :(
    edited May 2012
    Wouldn't surprise me, it's the most anticipated SE game since...well, it's just really wanted.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited June 2012
    I'm a little concerned for anyone who heard that awful imitation of Engrish and though "yeah, this sounds pretty legit".
    edited June 2013
    Hey Macstorm?

:witless:
    edited June 2013
    Yup, I was wrong. And I'm OK with that now.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm