If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Your Opinion: How do you rank the main series Final Fantasy games

2»

Comments

• sreikisreiki New Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    I've only beaten FF1, FF4, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9, FF13

Overall:
    FF6
    FF4
    FF7
    FF9
    FF13
    Sakura is a writer, and advocate for leading web and permission based email marketing software.
  • spooniestspooniest New Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    As far as I'm concerned, there's 4, 5, and 6 up top, and then everything else.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    VIII, IX, VII, VI, V, X, XII, IV, III, II, I, X-2, XIII.

XI I can't place because I have never played it.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • IndineraIndinera Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    For me it's 6-4-5-7 and the rest I dunno, I dropped out after the 7th.
    I was never a big fan of the FFs anyway, always prefered Phantasy Star by far, and even Breath of Fire 2.
    Owner of Aldorlea Games
    ~ Old-school RPGs for your PC ~
    Games Released: Laxius Force - 3 Stars of Destiny - Laxius Force II - Millennium - Asguaard - Millennium 2 - Dreamscape - Laxius Force III - Millennium 3 - Sylia - Millennium 4
    Coming Soon: The Book of Legends - Little Hearts
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited October 2011
    King Abdul wrote: »
    Still need to play V at some point. Tried playing VIII but I didn't like it but I may complete it one day just for the sake of it. Have no interest in XI or XIV or MMOs in general.

I'd say definitely check out the cutscenes of FFXI. It's a long process, due to how many expansions there are, but they are some of the best stories in the series. The first one isn't spectacular, but they continually improve. I mostly used this lady's YT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/WotgAshiee
  • Ryan RadcliffRyan Radcliff Caballero The WoodRPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    Never played FF13, but I will throw FFT in here just to make a list of 13. =)

Gameplay

1. FFT - I can get lost in SRPGs for days...
    2. FF10
    3. FF7
    4. FF4 - Simple, yet effective.
    5. FF6
    6. FF5
    7. FF1
    8. FF9
    9. FF11
    10. FF12
    11. FF3
    12. FF8
    13. FF2

Story

1. FFT
    2. FF6
    3. FF4
    4. FF12
    5. FF9
    6. FF7
    7. FF5
    8. FF10
    9. FF1
    10. FF3
    11. FF2
    12. FF8
    13. FF11 - Did not play this for the story. lol

Setting

1. FF12
    2. FFT
    3. FF6
    4. FF4
    5. FF7
    6. FF11
    7. FF9
    8. FF5
    9. FF10
    10. FF1
    11. FF3
    12. FF8
    13. FF2

Music (added for sh&ts and giggles.)

1. FF7
    2. FF6
    3. FF4
    4. FF11
    5. FF9
    6. FF8
    7. FFT
    8. FF1
    9. FF5
    10. FF10
    11. FF3
    12.FF12
    13. FF2
    "Rules do not exist to bind you. They exist so you may know your freedoms."
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Gameplay

1. FFT
    2. FF6
    3. FF4
    4. FF7
    5. FFXIII As much as i dislike these last two games both had good battle systems but not much else

Story

1. FF6 So many topics were showed on that no one would have expected at that time such as suicide, interracial/species relationships and mass genocide just to name a few
    2. FF4 IMO the Arch Type for JRPG Story telling
    3. FFT Zodiac Brave Story was a great backdrop to revolve the story around
    4. FF12
    5. FF10

Setting

1. FF6
    2. FF4
    3. FF1
    4. FFT
    5. FF12

Music

1. FF6 Its the best VG soundtrack ever made
    2. FF4
    3. FFT
    4. FF1 ts the classics how else can this not be top 5
    5. FF12

Overall
    1.FF6
    2.FF4
    3.FFT
    4.FF1
    5.FF12
    6.FF5
    7.FF7
    8.FF10
    9.FF9
    10. FF3
    11. FF13
    12. FF8
    13. FF2

I feel that FFT is more of a main series game than FF11 or FF14 is so it was included and they were not
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    I've arranged them in this way to show you how much fun I had with these games when I first played them. (and the placement of FFXIII is not a typo)

(Note that FFIII isn't on the list because I haven't played it)

1. VII
    2. IX
    3. VI
    4. IV
    5. XII
    6. V
    7. VIII
    8. X
    9. X-2
    10. XIII
    11. I
    12. II
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Hmmm...been awhile since I thought about this. I think the last time I ever ranked the games, IX was just being released.

My Own $0.02:

Final Fantasy IV - I honestly don't think there is any way to dislodge this one from its spot at the top of my list. Genuine originality, nostalgia, story, music, setting...it's a hodge-podge of all of those things, really.

Final Fantasy VII - The transition from 16 to 32 bit gave us a game that was, at the time, more of a religious experience than a simple RPG. Looking back, I can see how those today would consider it to be "over-rated..." which just makes me all the more glad that I was there to appreciate it when it came out.

Final Fantasy V - Out of all of the games in the series, V was just the most fun...it was by far less "serious" than others, and was a nice change of pace. You can really feel all of the love that Sakaguchi put into the last game he would direct himself.

Final Fantasy VI - I love the Renaissance feel to this one...VI seems the "classiest" of the games by far.

Final Fantasy II - Poor, oft-maligned FFII. I still love you, even in your combat system is broken beyond belief; you're still a lot of fun and super challenging.

Final Fantasy IX - Ironically the "deepest" of the games, with some really heavy, nihilistic overtones and grim observations on the nature of death...if it weren't for the "cute" characters in this one, I can see how some players might have chewed through their wrists.

Final Fantasy VIII - Uematsu was in rare form for VIII...not a bad game, overall, but what I will always remember from this one is the music.

Final Fantasy XIII - Aside being one of only 7 games that I have completed all achievements for on XBL, it is also just a quick and fun trip from start to finish. No towns or anything, no...and linearity is definitely the name of the game, but that combat system was just slick and innovative. I miss direct control, but honestly, with how busy I was controlling just ONE person for 5 star battles, I doubt I could have handled another two!

Final Fantasy - Matoya's Cave, the Gulug Volcano, Melmond...all places that remind me of when I first set out to save the world in an FF game. Obviously dated, but every now and then still a serviceable experience.

Final Fantasy X - This was not a bad one...the voice acting was pretty hurting, and I'm not a fan of the bizarre fashions of Spira, but the Sphere Grid was fun to play through and there were a couple of challenging battles here and there.

Final Fantasy XI - I signed in, played for a time...meh. Decent, I suppose. Like VIII, though, I will always remember XI for its music.

Final Fantasy XIV - It was what it was...I'll just leave it at that.

Final Fantasy III - I have to admit...I just can't get into this one. I just get so bored; it doesn't matter what version, and I don't want to insult anyone who loved this one a lot, but III just doesn't do it for me.

Final Fantasy XII - Oh man, FFXII...A few writers came and went on this one, and it shows; the narrative is choppy and disjointed, characters are introduced and dispatched without any real regard for the placement in the story (seriously...why was Judge Drace even introduced?) the political maneuverings were stale and mundane and (and this really ticked me off) people just went around shouting out their First, middle and last names as if it would add some sort of classical gravitas to the story...it did not. Add to that the shoddy job they did in recording the voices...no, really...listen sometime to the voice acting; it sounds like they are too close to the mic, or they have their lips right on it...it's tinny and almost mono sounding. FFXII could have been great had one team set to work on it and stayed the course...instead, it ended up being the one game that made me realize just how "corporate" S-E had become. (Which is a shame, because I love Revenant Wings...)

Is that all of them? Lemme see...1234567......yup.
  • colormonstercolormonster Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    Gameplay:

1. XII
    2. X-2
    3. V
    4. VI
    5. VII
    6. VIII
    7. IX
    8. XI
    9. IV
    10. X
    11. XIII
    12. III
    13. I
    14. II

Setting:

1. VII
    2. VI
    3. VIII
    4. IX
    5. XII
    6. IV
    7. XI
    8. V
    9. III
    10. I
    11. X
    12. XIII
    13. II

Story:

1. VI
    2. VII
    3. IX
    4. IV
    5. XI(Chains of Promathia)
    6. VIII
    7. V
    8. XII
    9. X
    10. XIII
    11. III
    12. II
    13. I

Honorable mention: FFT. This would be just under VI if it was a numbered FF.
  • holdthephoneholdthephone New Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    I suppose this would make a good first post:

So far:

1. Final Fantasy XIII
    2. Final Fantasy VII
    3. Final Fantasy VIII
    4. Final Fantasy VI
    5. Final Fantasy V
    6. Final Fantasy IV
    7. Final Fantasy IX

Haven't gotten around to the others yet.
  • Lord_JarohLord_Jaroh New Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Gameplay:
    1. FF12
    2. FFT
    3. FF6

4. FF4
    5. FF1
    6. FF9
    7. FF10
    8. FF7
    9. FF2
    10. FF14
    11. FF8
    12. FF11
    13. FF13

Setting:
    1. FF12
    2. FFT
    3. FF4
    4. FF6
    5. FF11
    6. FF1
    7. FF9
    8. FF14
    9. FF2
    10. FF10
    11. FF8
    12. FF7
    13. FF13

Story:
    1. FFT
    2. FF12
    3. FF4
    4. FF6
    5. FF2
    6. FF1
    7. FF11

8. FF8
    9. FF9
    10. FF10
    11. FF14
    12. FF7
    13. FF13

I haven't played 3 or 5 yet, and since we're counting the online ones, I think Tactics should be allowed as well.
  • Vanishingfrost77Vanishingfrost77 New Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Comparing every FF series is hard, they are unique in their own way. My ratings would be close for all the versions i played.

Gameplay:
    FFIV
    FFIII
    FFVI
    FFI
    FFIII
    FFX
    FFXII
    FFII
    FFTA

Setting:

FFXII
    FFVII
    FFVIII
    FFX
    FFIX
    FFVI
    FFIV

Story:
    FFIV
    FFVI
    FFVII
    FFXII
    FFI
    FFII
    FFTA
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Gameplay:
    FFIV

Story:
    FFIV

Sir/Madame, I like the cut of your jib.
  • ResJudicataResJudicata New Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Sorry if my votes are strange. I stopped playing after FF 8.

Gameplay:
    1. VII
    2. Tactics
    3. VI
    4. VIII
    5. IV

Setting:
    1. VII
    2. IV
    3. VI
    4. Tactics
    5. I

Story:
    1. VII
    2. IV
    3. VI
    4. Tactics
    5. I
  • Ruddem BreninRuddem Brenin Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    -Game Play
    Hmm, If it is Battles and Character Building and Customization; I would have to make 2 lists just for that.
    So, for this I'll just have to put
    Character Building:
    XI
    II
    V
    I
    Battles:
    VI

Setting:
    VI
    IV
    V
    II
    III
    I
    XII
    XIII
    VIII
    X
    IX
    XI
    VII

Story:
    VI
    IV
    V
    XIII
    XII
    VII
    VIII
    X
    IX

Overall Favorites:

"I will create a monument to Non-Existence" - Kefka
  • berserkberserk Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Overall;

FFVI (I love the world, music and characters)
    FFVII (It has its flaws, but I really like the game)
    FFIX
    FFVIII (Yeah, I know its not a brilliant game, but it has quite a strong nostalgic connection for me. I like quite a bit of the music)
    FFIII (I like messing around with the job system in III and V)
    FFIV
    FFV
    FFI
    FFII
    FFXIII
    FFX

I haven't played XI or XIV unfortunately... I'm not a huge fan of MMORPGs (partially because I know I can easily get addicted to games and don't have the time right now, partially because I don't have a great gaming PC right now either)

I also still need to get around to playing FFXII. I was aiming to play through all of the games I hadn't played before FFXIII came out. I didn't have time for XII unfortunately. It gets a lot of praise, but it also seems to get a lot of hate. I'm optimistic for it, it sounds very interesting.

Honourable mention; FF Tactics. I played the War of the Lions version after missing out on Tactics initially, and it has aged flawlessly. Brilliant game.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Game Play-FF13, FFT, FF6
    Setting-FFT, FF4, FF6
    Story-FF6, FFT, FF4
    Music-FF6, FFT, FF4
    Art/Character design-FF14, FF11, FF4

That seems about right. Those are my top three for each category. I added music and art/character design because those are equally important parts of the experience for any game in general, but even more so for an rpg.
    sup?