If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ff xi

xr2xr2 MemberFull Members
edited May 2012 in Square Enix
Now that they have released the complete, ultimate collection, I'm considering give it a try. Other than dabbling in a few 'free' mmorpgs for a few hours, I don't have much experience.

Is it worth getting into now, or is it a little late?

Any server recommendations?

Anything I need to know when creating a character?

Anyone else interested in playing?

Comments

• Khisanth MagusKhisanth Magus Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    From what I recall when I played it many years ago, all I can say is "Have fun in the desert" and "TRAIN TO ZONE!"
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Leveling has gotten pretty quick. Fields of Valor are highly abuseable, especially for a party. Moblin Maze Mongers are also an incredibly fast way to level, if you can get the right level syncs. It's still a grind, though.

Most of the story stuff has had the level caps removed, which is awesome. I still reactivate my content IDs for a month or so here and there to try and run story missions. I'm on Shiva, but I don't play regularly.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    my opinion: Abbysa has ruined this game. SE set the cap for this at lvl 30 and it's full of leaches trying to get lvl 90 as fast as possible. I think there's noting wrong with going there post lvl 65(as you can help kill) but seeing as the entry cap is lvl 30 people figured out they can leach in there and level up too darn fast. As far as I'm concerned this was not SE's intention with these areas as there leveling part was to help people who had several lvl 75 jobs cap them off again but seeing as the XP from the chests that drop there is not curbed in any way(it should be!) many players are ignoring regular areas and doing a type of super-leaching known as "keying"(opening the chests which hand out time and random 1K+ XP as high-level players kill things). To me this has ruined a very good hardcore MMO as the semi-long grind(FOV is good here) weeded out a few of the idiots who didn't know how to play their jobs(they will always be there but yes fewer of them).

I want to party so if you go to quetzalcoatl as I want to form and old-school static...at least to 65...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited May 2011
    The other problem is getting into a party to level outside of Abyssea. Especially once you're above level 50. You almost HAVE to do a static then.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited May 2011
    You're going to hate this Emerald but Shiva got merged into another server in the last big update.

They also added Grounds of Valor (made some dungeons scary because they added high level mobs) but for the early ones it's also abuseable, I just got 51 thf that way.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    You're going to hate this Emerald but Shiva got merged into another server in the last big update.

Other way around. The server several of us folk on staff play on (Alexander) merged into Shiva.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited May 2011
    I's gonna say. Shiva's still around.

Maybe next month I'll fire XI up again and try to hit more Promathia missions. And I should probably smite Shadowlord and the boss fight before him, too.

And it would be nice to hit 70 sometime. I mean, I've only been playing since launch >_>
  • xr2xr2 Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    To ask a few more stupid questions, what is a static?

Assuming you ignore Abyssea, are the other quests that are available fun?

How much time can be spent doing interesting things, and seeing interesting places, and how much of it is spending 10 hours straight farming? How does this change as the levels progress?
    edited May 2011
    A static is a group of people that group exclusively with each other for particular content. There are essentially two different kinds of statics: leveling statics and mission statics. Leveling statics level with each other, and mission statics run the storyline missions together. They two can also overlap. They're great if you have a reliable set of competent friends with matching schedules.

There are plenty of quests, the vast majority of which are fun and entertaining. But quests don't generally grant XP in XI, nor are they a terribly good source of gil. They do, however let you unlock advanced jobs, acquire summons, and other things. Doing lots of quests is recommended, as the more you do the more you have access to.

When it comes time to group for leveling, expect to spend several hours on mobs, assuming you're not blitzing Abyssea or MMM. And even then you can spend a few hours doing it. You will need some form of income--usually via a craft, which can be a pain to level--or through massive farming. Depending on how you choose to go about it, that can eat up a lot of time. Some things can be done while watching TV or such, though.

You can explore and see new places as much as you want, but you will eventually run out. And when you're grinding mobs you won't be running from zone to zone all the time. There are generally specific preferred zones for leveling, and you'll be spending a lot of time in them when you're undertaking that particular activity. that said, the expansion areas are really pretty. Especially Aht Urghan.

Oh, forgot to mention. There's the ability to level sync, where everyone in a party syncs to the level of a chosen party member. XP earned is applied to the actual level, but level sync lets more people play together, as you don't have to worry so much about the level gap. Which was really a big deal before.
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for all the help. I think I'll give this a try once I get back home and get my PC fixed in a week or so.

Any other curious bystanders wish to join?
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited May 2011
    xr2 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help. I think I'll give this a try once I get back home and get my PC fixed in a week or so.

I did this myself last year because FFXI was on sale ($5 for the collection) on Steam. I got my month of play and what enjoyment I could find before I needed a party to survive against monsters.
    edited May 2011
    xr2 wrote: »

Welp, if you roll on Shiva you may see me and apparently some of the staffers kicking around from time to time.

That's...about all I got.
  • Vanishingfrost77Vanishingfrost77 New Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    I just got involved with FFXI. I'm on Bahamut, I'm quite lost, I realize I need a Pearl. Is there anyone that would mind adding a noob to the list? It doesn't matter if I have to make a server jump. TY Cheers :).
    edited April 2012
    I only played for a couple of months. It did take some time to get used to how the game works. I'm not an experienced MMO player, so I don't know how much of that can be attributed to the genre, and how much to the game itself.

It took me a few days to figure out how to heal myself. I never did get the hang of how crafting is supposed to work.

I did manage to randomly find a group power leveling, and leveled quite a bit (to the mid 30s I think). My equipment was then below par, and I didn't have the resources to fix that. But it did allow me to go out and explore parts of the world. I did enjoy the world, and wish I could have seen more of it.

I found trying to solo past level 20 or so to be difficult. I strongly recommend trying to find other players to play with. Either here, or in the game itself.
    edited April 2012
    You ever consider playing again? I'm finding Jobs such as Monk and Warrior not bad to level. The crafting stuff I did a tiny bit of, it seems harder than it is.

I talked to someone about getting level help in the game. Usually about after 14-16 people will invite you to parties. You really have to run into the nice people that gives any new adventurer a chance :).

I tend to get lost easy that's my biggest thing.
    edited April 2012
    At the moment, school isn't leaving me time to play much of anything. As much as I would enjoy jumping back in, it's not possible at the moment.

I didn't have too much trouble with getting lost on the maps. Keeping track of quests though got to be annoying. I used a 2nd computer to look up necessary information on a few websites whenever I couldn't figure out what to do.
    edited April 2012
    There any LS available for me to join?
    edited April 2012
    Eli and me are just on quetz but it's a shared account and I'm real busy nowadays or I'd help
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited April 2012
    Should I wait before server jumping since I just joined FFXI to avoid server double charge?
    edited April 2012
    The non player people in the game keep freezing up Final Fantasy XI to start up quests everywhere I go. I'm not sure why, this didn't happen nearly as often on the last server I was on "Bahamut", there a place I can go to state this problem?
  • Ryan RadcliffRyan Radcliff Caballero The WoodRPGamer Staff
    edited April 2012
    Is this game free to play yet?

I don't think I will EVER get back into FFXI unless they make it free for me to play. I spent WAY WAY WAY too much time in that game.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you. They exist so you may know your freedoms."
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited April 2012
    Unfortuantely, Scar..

I don't think Square is going to make it free to play very soon. Not unless XIV actually works out (and that's a train wreck.). You may be hoping for way too long. And it's still pay to play.
    My personal page
    edited April 2012
    I keep thinking about going back, then i remember all the grinding I'll have to do fro gil. Even thought the economy has mellowed, there's still stuff I need to spend money on. And it's not exactly cheap.
    edited May 2012
    The non player people in the game keep freezing up Final Fantasy XI to start up quests everywhere I go. I'm not sure why, this didn't happen nearly as often on the last server I was on "Bahamut", there a place I can go to state this problem?

sorry for being a month late but this is a glitch of the very neglected PS2 version. Personally despite the lower resolution this was my platform of choice until SE started ignoring all the issues with it as it used to be more stable and have a faster sync with the servers(snag a NM faster, etc.)
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited May 2012
    Actually Emerald, gil isn't hard to make either. I make gil with a combo of Dynamis (you only have to pay a one time entry fee then it's free to go in) and with high level cooking (Won't say what I usualy make but well, all I'll say is it's profit). I've made about 200-300k per dyn run (and you can enter once every rl day). There are other ways too, a LOT more than just farming. ^^
    My personal page