If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal

OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB!Full Members
edited August 2012 in Miscellaneous Gaming
God that is a long name...

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/152?ch=4

Its a straight up copy of Smash Bros. But thats not a bad thing in my book. It looks really fun. I have to say the way they handel the stages are pretty awesome by crossing over franchises.

So far the confirmed Characters are...

Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
Sly Cooper
PaRappa
Fat Princess
Radec (Killzone)
Kratos (God of War)

More to come, plus 3rd party characters.
Give me Underboob, or give me death!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

Comments

• RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited April 2012
    What the....no Nathan Drake?! Come onnnnn!
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Oh he is going to be in there, They need to save some reveals for E3 is my guess.

They say they are using characters from all generations of PlayStation and that 3rd party are important to the PlayStation brand so to expect them as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited April 2012
    I wonder if Sakurai gets royalties for this?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2012
    I believe Quin put how I feel quite well with a previous post.
    Quin wrote: »
    CerealSpitting.png
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited April 2012
    Shaymin wrote: »
    I wonder if Sakurai gets royalties for this?

You know Nintendo wasn't the first company to make this kind of fighting game right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Fascinating, but the great thing about Smash Bros. wasn't just the Nintendo icons beating the crap out of eachother, it was how it played. There is something addictive and hilarious about setting another player up for a slap upside the head that sends the character flying out of the screen at a 100 mph.

If Microsoft ever made an MS All-Stars game, it would probably be a FPS.
    edited April 2012
    TG Barighm wrote: »

https://p.twimg.com/ArhOH-aCQAEQGrn.jpg:large
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited April 2012
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Fascinating, but the great thing about Smash Bros. wasn't just the Nintendo icons beating the crap out of eachother, it was how it played. There is something addictive and hilarious about setting another player up for a slap upside the head that sends the character flying out of the screen at a 100 mph.

You know, it's funny, I never found Smash Bros. to be that engaging. A good time, sure, but not truly addictive the way fighting games like Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat or Tekken can be.

Yeah, as Oyashiro lampshades with that pic, I don't think they have the first party characters for that. They have Halo, and....?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited April 2012
    They own the Gears IP right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2012
    Oyashiro wrote: »
    They own the Gears IP right?

Nope, Gears' IP rights are still with Epic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Waiting for Lara Croft and Nathan Drake reveals. That's just too fitting a combination not too have.
    edited April 2012
    I hope they did some negotiating and got Crash and Spyro in this. It just wont feel right without them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2012
    Oh god if they did that, then I hope they revived Croc for this.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited April 2012
    I hope they make a Jet Moto based level. That game needs to make a comeback.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2012
    I hope they update the controls if they do. I remember raging at the game due to several levels in it.
    edited April 2012
    One word... Nebulous

That stage is the bane of my existence. But I love it so much!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2012
    Oh god...I remember that stage. It was the Rainbow Road of Jet Moto, as it was just as annoying and made you want to kill.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited April 2012
    You know Nintendo wasn't the first company to make this kind of fighting game right?
    lol, come on, even the aesthetic style they're using is broadly similar to SSB. All that's missing is the giant pit.
    edited April 2012
    lol, come on, even the aesthetic style they're using is broadly similar to SSB. All that's missing is the giant pit.
    As I've said with people saying the UI some MMOs have is just WoW's UI, you can't beat perfection.
    edited April 2012
    Its a Arena Brawler, they have been around since at least 1994. SSB is literally The Outfoxies but with Nintendo characters and stages. SSB perfected the genre though.

I wonder if they are going to put Kat from Gravity Daze/Rush in this. She is brand new but its one of the most anticipated games from Vita. It would give the game some good exposure too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited April 2012
    I've never really felt that the Sony stable of characters were particularly well fleshed-out enough to warrant the designation of "universe." The IPs lack a distinctive style to draw them altogether in a single game. Don't get me wrong, I like Sony well-enough, but like the Move before it, this seems like a desperate attempt to generate buzz from a previously established Nintendo concept during a drought of ideas.

The Playstation and its successors have all seemed like "Third Party" machines to me, with the First Party IPs holding a sort of "Yeah, I guess we have to have SOMETHING" vibe that never struck me as must-haves.

Great news for 1st Party Sony fans, I suppose, but to me it just rings a bit hollow.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    Cole Richards from Infamous, just saying.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited April 2012
    I think you mean Cole MacGrath.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2012
    I think you mean Cole MacGrath.

Sorry reading to much PvP Online YES Cole MacGrath
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

edited April 2012

Yep, looks like Smash Bros. all right. Namco must have traveled through time and ripped it off! </sarcasm>
    The Playstation and its successors have all seemed like "Third Party" machines to me, with the First Party IPs holding a sort of "Yeah, I guess we have to have SOMETHING" vibe that never struck me as must-haves.

That's hardly fair. While I'd agree that their games and characters don't really make for a Smash Brothers-style fighter, Sony's first-party has been absolutely stellar. God of War, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted, Shadow of the Colossus and Ico.... Sony's got some heavy-hitters in their first party catalog. It's not like MS, who basically has nothing after Halo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2012
    Ape Escape
    Arc the Lad
    Dark Cloud
    Demon's Souls
    Dead Nation
    EyePet
    Folklore
    Genji
    Gravity Daze
    Hot Shots Golf
    Ico
    inFamous
    Jak and Daxter
    Jeanne d'Arc
    Jumping Flash!
    The Last of Us
    The Legend of Dragoon
    LittleBigPlanet
    The Mark of Kri
    MediEvil
    Okage: Shadow King
    Primal
    Ratchet & Clank
    Rogue Galaxy
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Syphon Filter
    Uncharted
    UmJammer Lammy
    White Knight Chronicles
    Wild Arms

I want to see characters from any one of these games... OH AND TOMBA!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2012
    Sackboy vs Cole MacGrath I totally can see this
    sig.gif

edited April 2012
    7CyVJ.png

I seriusly hope they dig deep and decide to make Polygon Man the final boss. I want to hear him talk trash to me as I fight him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited April 2012
    That's hardly fair. While I'd agree that their games and characters don't really make for a Smash Brothers-style fighter, Sony's first-party has been absolutely stellar. God of War, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted, Shadow of the Colossus and Ico.... Sony's got some heavy-hitters in their first party catalog. It's not like MS, who basically has nothing after Halo.

It's totally fair. I'm not stating an empirical fact, just that I don't really care about any of those, save for Shadow of the Colossus or Ico. Note the modifier "to me" in the original quote, which makes no attempt at qualifying the games as objectively "bad."

You think they were stellar. Great. I think they were boring and lack the personality that would define them as iconic enough to warrant a universal collection.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    If they're going to put 3rd party characters in there I hope Cloud will turn up.

Why you ask? I don't know what kind of impact FFVII had in your area on PSX sales but here it was enormous: it seemed that everyone and their pet was scrambling to buy a PSX after the first FFVII commercials (including yours truly). For several months FFVII was the prime subject of discussion (and praise) on the schoolyard. Even PC puritains bought, played and loved it.

FFVII was more than a simple game release at the time: it was a hype.

That's why I hope he's in there: FFVII made Playstation what it is today :)