If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

want an FF7 remake? Kojima goes to bat for us

Comments

• MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Rebochan wrote: »
    Dragon Quest has also been remade a number of times. Not as a fully-fledged HD power remake, but it's certainly gotten its fair share of fresh coats of paint.

Can't argue that point, though at least they had the decency the first few times to bundle it with another game. I can't see buying DQ1 by itself nowadays.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I could have sworn that right after they announced DQX they also announced they were remaking DQ I and II for 3DS but since I can't find any news on it at all I guess it was just some sleep-deprived fantasy I had.
  • TheLegendaryZoltanTheLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Final Sleep Deprived Fantasy VII!
    Like JRPGs?
    Want to hear a JRPG podcast that actually has a unique format?
    Check out Turn Based Memories!
  • spooniestspooniest New Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Here's one for ya.

Remake Final Fantasy VII in the style of Chrono Trigger, and put it up on the Virtual Console, PSN, XBLA, etc as a download. Do it. DO IT!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited September 2011
    spooniest wrote: »
    Here's one for ya.

Remake Final Fantasy VII in the style of Chrono Trigger, and put it up on the Virtual Console, PSN, XBLA, etc as a download. Do it. DO IT!

This would actually make me love it for being 2D amazing, while at the same time love it for making people rage that they did that.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited September 2011
    Like, not with Toriyama doing the art, let Nomura try his hand at 2D sprites again. His FF6 Sprites are way cool. He could do a great Chrono Trigger-ish setup! And they could draw hand-drawn anime cutscenes like they did for Last Order.

Edit: And do it in HD...yeah. That'd be the bomb.
  • riskydaysriskydays New Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I'm still fine with playing the original.

This. I don't know what it is that makes everyone so rabid for remakes. I sorta subscribe to it too at times :/
  • bigmark268bigmark268 New Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Totally off topic, well sorta lol. That sprites would be looking super hella sexy now. Odin Sphere? yeh 2d sprite remakes would look amazing in hd now. Just my 2 cents.
  • Syphen_FrehtSyphen_Freht New Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Final Fantasy 7, however poor localization it got and terrible, blocky graphics it boasted, was in fact one of 'the' games to really garner attention stateside to RPGs in general, Square in particular. In roped in much of Square's fanbase today, while the newer Final Fantasies...aren't. FF12 came out midway through the PS2 era, and the only FFf (Final Fantasy franchises) released since then have been 13, somewhat of a let down (due to linear gameplay if nothing else) and 14, one heck of a flop. Granted, they have had other IPs to play around with, but Final Fantasy is how gamers recognize Square(-Enix) in the states. I think if they'd remake FF7, especially using the new Luminous Engine they're boasting, they could get back a lot of fans they may have lost since '06 (when 12 came out), plus they could usher in a new age of RPG fans, especially since no decent RPGs have really flooded the markets since the PS2 age.

Specifically, it would be nice to garner some in game content that acknowledge the events that happened in Crisis Core and DoC, but any hardcore FFf fan would want the game remade, not overhauled and bogged down with useless content. In this case, SquareEnix could make some decent money not only remaking FF7, but releasing DLC that included playable chapters that help to intertwine the stories a little bit better, filling in plotholes and such. The game itself wouldn't hurt them financially to remake (after all, they've remade FF1 and 2... how many times? And now they're remaking FF10?), and developing DLC would be a financial afterthought at this point. I think it'd be a great marketing move all around. Heck, they could even pull a Namco Bandai move and introduce new IPs within it as mini games to help garner attention for any up and coming games they might have planned.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    especially since no decent RPGs have really flooded the markets since the PS2 age.

You're joking, right?
  • Syphen_FrehtSyphen_Freht New Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    You're joking, right?

Not really, although I should clarify. Nothing has been released the past few years that utilizes the same caliber as old school jrpgs. I mean, granted, Dark Souls, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect may all have been really good RPGs, but they take some of the basics of the RPG genre (menu based attacks, singular storyline) and turn them into a new direction. RPGs of today, while on a progressive movement, don't seem to offer the same "flair" that older generation RPGs seem to hold. When's the last time you've played a truly great RPG, reminiscent of FF6, Secret of Mana, Rogue Galaxy, and Legend of Dragoon? RPGs that clearly define what it takes to be an RPG, while building upon what made them great? I guess I shouldn't have said "no" decent RPGs, and for that I apologize, but today's RPGs are vastly different from what we all grew up on, and that's somewhat of a shame.

Maybe I'm a bit too nostalgic, but it seems like some companies need to remake or create a game that truly defines where their roots come from. You can keep your new IPs, your new innovations and your redirections, but at the end of the day, it still feels good to sit down and enjoy a truly engaging story that doesn't throw in so many bells and whistles you forget the point of the story.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Not really, although I should clarify. Nothing has been released the past few years that utilizes the same caliber as old school jrpgs. I mean, granted, Dark Souls, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect may all have been really good RPGs, but they take some of the basics of the RPG genre (menu based attacks, singular storyline) and turn them into a new direction. RPGs of today, while on a progressive movement, don't seem to offer the same "flair" that older generation RPGs seem to hold. When's the last time you've played a truly great RPG, reminiscent of FF6, Secret of Mana, Rogue Galaxy, and Legend of Dragoon? RPGs that clearly define what it takes to be an RPG, while building upon what made them great? I guess I shouldn't have said "no" decent RPGs, and for that I apologize, but today's RPGs are vastly different from what we all grew up on, and that's somewhat of a shame.

Persona 3 and you're being overly nostalgic. People's tastes change and the culture shifts, ie. the shift to action oriented RPGs like Mass Effect and Fallout vs. abstract menu-based games like FF and Dragon Quest. What sold then isn't going to sell the same numbers these days, although there's a nice indie niche to fill the retro JRPG void if you're looking for something new instead of replaying FFn for the 50th time.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    When's the last time you've played a truly great RPG, reminiscent of FF6, Secret of Mana, Rogue Galaxy, and Legend of Dragoon?

Dragon Age and I hear The Witcher has a pretty darn good story too. Not JPRG enough for you? Try Tails of Vesperia. Not an old school combat system, but old school in every other way. All story, no gameplay? Give Nier a shot.

Really, if you're just looking for good JRPG's, it sounds to me like you chose the wrong console. Western RPG's have dry stories. Pick up a DS.
    it still feels good to sit down and enjoy a truly engaging story that doesn't throw in so many bells and whistles you forget the point of the story.

It's not so engaging after the first playthrough.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Forget a DS, get a PSP. God knows XSEED's churning out some fantastic localizations of games nobody seems to be playing despite their awesome. Like Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky!
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    When's the last time you've played a truly great RPG, reminiscent of FF6, Secret of Mana, Rogue Galaxy, and Legend of Dragoon?

O_O
    Maybe I'm a bit too nostalgic.

Yes, yes you are, go play Resonance of Fate!
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Replace all the JRPG examples with Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Ultima VII etc. and I can agree with this.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2011
    Forget a DS, get a PSP. God knows XSEED's churning out some fantastic localizations of games nobody seems to be playing despite their awesome. Like Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky!
    This. Also, don't forget Hexyz Force.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited November 2011
    Forget a DS, get a PSP.

Get both! If only for The World Ends with You and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story :p
    edited November 2011
    and Radiant Historia, please let us not forget Radiant Historia
    Replace all the JRPG examples with Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Ultima VII etc. and I can agree with this.

I can see that, but I think that's more an issue with the difficulty in recreating the complexity of those games with modern technology. It certainly is a lot easier to make an RPG with all kinds of choice using Fallout's engine than it is using a modern 3D engine. Not that this excuses everything mind you.
    sig.gif
    edited November 2011
    Wheels wrote: »
    and Radiant Historia, please let us not forget Radiant Historia

I couldn't personally vouch for that since it's still in shrinkwrap /shame
    edited November 2011
    shoptroll wrote: »
    i couldn't personally vouch for that since it's still in shrinkwrap /shame

shame x 1000!
    sig.gif
    edited November 2011
    Wheels wrote: »
    shame x 1000!

My backlog is a massive mountain of shame :(
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    shoptroll wrote: »
    My backlog is a massive mountain of shame :(

I understand your pain.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited November 2011
    I still think it'd be the mindscrew of all mindscrews to remake Final Fantasy 7 as a Chrono Trigger-esque 2D game in HD. Admit it, we would all be like "WTF, I have to buy this just for the sheer bizzare-ness of it."
  • KaiserKaiser A smooth flow of thought Full Members
    edited November 2011
    they made the first wave of the "Compilation of FF VII" games, then they made a break from the ff vii universe. I think a FF VII sequel will come with the 2nd wave of the "Compilation of FF VII" , because i doubt that they will not use the hype from the remake for other games aswell.
    Trance Radiance Infinity

• Vanishingfrost77Vanishingfrost77 New Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    I'd love to see this, I'd buy it. Any chance of starting off the game with Cloud and Zack you think?
    edited April 2012
    Extreme necrology.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited April 2012
    I keep saying this but all SE should really do is to retranslate the game and re encode the existing graphics and FMVs in HD. Some cool modders have gotten the graphics on the PC version alot less blocky and more of an art style ascetic and even up the resolution to 1920 by 1200. Doing this would probably require the original source code which I'm not sure still exists in Edos or SE's archives...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • Red XIVRed XIV Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    In the past, I've said I'd prefer Square Enix to do a new game than another remake of a game I've already played. But given that their new games haven't actually been that good lately, I think I might change my mind on that.
    edited May 2012
    Supposedly Square was planning to do an FF7 remake but the tools for the PS3 were bad, that coupled with Sony's response to get helping on the tools for both a remake and FFXIII was what led to crossplatform for FXIII. A friend said this to me so take it with a grain of salt.
    sig.gif