If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

want an FF7 remake? Kojima goes to bat for us

124»

Comments

• SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Sounds probable enough. They must have a pretty good reason though as it's obvious a remake of one of the best selling and most beloved RPGs of all time would be a profit deal to say the least.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited May 2012
    That...doesn't sound probable at all, actually. It sounds like a typical internet rumor.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    Supposedly Square was planning to do an FF7 remake but the tools for the PS3 were bad, that coupled with Sony's response to get helping on the tools for both a remake and FFXIII was what led to crossplatform for FXIII. A friend said this to me so take it with a grain of salt.

That sounds like a bastardization of the original PS3 tech demo rumors. After square released that PS3 tech demo of the FF7 opening scene, everyone thought they were actually making one. There was never any plan for them to do so.

A scaled-down version of that tech demo was later used at the end of Crisis Core, which pretty much closed the book on it.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Square provides an update on the FF7 remake situation.

For those who don't want to read the article: not until they make a new FF that sells better than FF7. And something about "killing the franchise". Not sure what that means. Killing sales of FF7 rereleases/spin-offs or the FF franchise itself?
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2012
    I'm pretty sure what they mean is that if they can't top FF7 and remade it before they were able to top it, they'd mess it up, angering the fans enough to possibly destroy the series. Or at least, that's what it seems like to me.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    That makes less than zero sense.
  • KaiserKaiser A smooth flow of thought Full Members
    edited June 2012
    what doesn't make sense? they want to make a ff7 remake when they are on a creativity high and on the track of making good games again.
    If the ff7 remake fails by any chance, many people would turn their backs on final fantasy forever.

but if they want to make a final fantasy that outsells ff7 before that, given the current console situation, it has to be on 2 consoles and ios+steam to even have a chance of outselling ff7.
    Trance Radiance Infinity

• QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2012
    Kaiser wrote: »
    If the ff7 remake fails by any chance, many people would turn their backs on final fantasy forever.

I've mentioned this before, but any conceivable FFVII remake is going to fail. By this point, everyone in the broken fanbase has their own little pet idea on what would constitute an acceptable remake. SE could put FFVII on a new version of Crystal Tools, update the script and fix a couple of the bugs, and it will still be the Worst Thing Ever™ because:

- It doesn't look like Advent Children
    - It fixes some of the 'classic' script errors, like "This guy are sick"
    - It fixes the Death Penalty glitch
    - It uses 'Aerith' in place of 'Aeris'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited June 2012
    Point well made Quin. I guess they're probably just trying to hold off until our nostalgia of the game is all but long gone.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    I don't agree with this premise. People complain about faults in their beloved franchises all the time. That doesn't stop from Dragon Age 2 being successful and profitable and Dragon Age 3 being produced. That doesn't stop something like Final Fantasy 14 to continually have money dumped into it despite its colossal failure.

I honestly don't think Square is concerned about living up to people's expectations. A well produced game is still a well produced game. That's why a number if game critics found the latest iteration of the Xcom shooter interesting, despite fans crying foul.

I believe they have other reasons for not attacking this project, and could just be as simple as it is not factored in to their current production plans: as in all resources are tied up and will be for a while.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
    edited June 2012
    Well, what's happening with FF14 is more about saving face than anything else and I don't believe Dragon Age 2 was nearly as successful as the first.

I think the most likely reason is a combination of "all of the above": resources, fan appeasement, and revenue streams on FF7 rereleases/spin-offs. But hey, an FF7 remake is practically a guaranteed hit, so I'm sure it will come one day. A few bad quarters, maybe a new CEO looking to prove he can make risky decisions, and voila!

Honestly, I'd just be happy with improved graphics and a few new optional dungeons. I've always liked pre-rendered maps. They have more charm.
    edited June 2012
    For some reason I'd prefer it if it had the sort of map that FFXII or FFX had. You know, all the areas lead into each other. Would people complain about this? OH HELL YES. But at the same time, it would in fact make the world feel much larger than it already feels like (which isn't that large at all).
    edited June 2012
    I dunno. Most of the cool stuff hidden on the world map couldn't be found until you got the airship and/or gold chocobo, but it was still fun to search for that stuff. Running around big open areas in 10 and 12 looking for secrets felt a little like a chore.

I'm a little surprised world maps have gone out of fashion. The classics often had world maps full of goodies you could spent dozens upon dozens of hours searching for. All this talk about exploration in WRPG's and yet JRPG's managed to achieve that with their world maps. I like how Wild Arms did it: you're just wandering around when suddenly the camera zooms in to reveal an optional location.
  • EightPackKillaEightPackKilla Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    I dunno. Most of the cool stuff hidden on the world map couldn't be found until you got the airship and/or gold chocobo, but it was still fun to search for that stuff. Running around big open areas in 10 and 12 looking for secrets felt a little like a chore.

I'm a little surprised world maps have gone out of fashion. The classics often had world maps full of goodies you could spent dozens upon dozens of hours searching for. All this talk about exploration in WRPG's and yet JRPG's managed to achieve that with their world maps. I like how Wild Arms did it: you're just wandering around when suddenly the camera zooms in to reveal an optional location.

Everything goes out of fashion for the "latest trend" which is the graphics or gameplay, rather than the story.

FF7 remake. I would want it, to see how a game with actual plot and story that you would want to play would look with today's graphics.
    Though I wonder how different the battle system would be... not exactly a deal breaker.

World maps went out of style. Characters you could relate to went out of style, then Suikoden V tried to bring it back, but then came Dragon Ages, Mass Effects, and other games that just left you desiring something good.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    It's been 15 years and they haven't duplicated FF7 yet. Chances are they never will. FF7's popularity was a confluence of factors - not just the quality of the story, but also the new horizons of 3D, the then-groundbreaking modern designs of Nomura, etc. Gamers are jaded; they are never going to fall head over heels in love with a game the same way they did then. I always find myself at a loss of words to say just how freaking cool FF7 looked when it came out; we are now so inundated with flashy graphics and daring stories that they will never be able to produce another game with the same impact.

In addition, FF7 was, oddly enough, a very safe game. Gameplay-wise it wasn't all that different from FF6. Since then they have committed themselves to totally reinventing every FF game, splitting their fanbase every time. No, there will never be another FF7, and yes, plenty of people will complain about a remake - but even the complainers will most definitely go out and buy it, and I would not be surprised to see it outsell FFXIII. I find it odd that they're so hung up about an FF7 remake being the pinnacle of creativity when they've had no compunctions making remakes of FFs 1 through 4 over and over again.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Cidolfas wrote: »
    It's been 15 years and they haven't duplicated FF7 yet. Chances are they never will. FF7's popularity was a confluence of factors - not just the quality of the story, but also the new horizons of 3D, the then-groundbreaking modern designs of Nomura, etc. Gamers are jaded; they are never going to fall head over heels in love with a game the same way they did then. I always find myself at a loss of words to say just how freaking cool FF7 looked when it came out; we are now so inundated with flashy graphics and daring stories that they will never be able to produce another game with the same impact.

In addition, FF7 was, oddly enough, a very safe game. Gameplay-wise it wasn't all that different from FF6. Since then they have committed themselves to totally reinventing every FF game, splitting their fanbase every time. No, there will never be another FF7, and yes, plenty of people will complain about a remake - but even the complainers will most definitely go out and buy it, and I would not be surprised to see it outsell FFXIII. I find it odd that they're so hung up about an FF7 remake being the pinnacle of creativity when they've had no compunctions making remakes of FFs 1 through 4 over and over again.

You should really say 1 - 6. Since 5 and 6 have at least seen some minor remakes (nothing like 1 - 4 I'll grant)
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    No they don't.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • EightPackKillaEightPackKilla Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Shadowcat wrote: »

With the quality of programmers nowadays.... this is a polite way of saying "never"
    edited June 2012
    Shadowcat, that was mentioned on the previous page by TG.
  • KaiserKaiser A smooth flow of thought Full Members
    edited September 2012
    Savorien wrote: »
    I don't agree with this premise. People complain about faults in their beloved franchises all the time. That doesn't stop from Dragon Age 2 being successful and profitable and Dragon Age 3 being produced. That doesn't stop something like Final Fantasy 14 to continually have money dumped into it despite its colossal failure.

i think you have this backwards. it is because so many people complained and because the game sold so poor, that they pump money in a remake. no fan in their right mind would be against fixing the mess that is ff 14.
    Trance Radiance Infinity