If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - Staff Retroview

Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: KirinAdministrators
edited May 2012 in Latest Updates
Surely they must be dead by now. The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe after this game. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.
Peter Cushing died before this game was made - he was great.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    The game can actually be pretty challenging if you jack up the difficulty, but it's a bad kind of challenge. It's horribly imbalanced, with early monsters being devilishly hard, then get easy, then get hard again, and after awhile it all becomes a big headache. Combined with the 100% random loot system-it's actually possible to get the barest minimum of lightsabres available in the game, and you're screwed if those happen to be weak off-hand sabres-the exact difficulty of the harder modes can't actually be quantified because the exact nature of your experience is dependent on entirely random circumstances (including the glitches). Unless, of course, you cheat (the copy lightsabre/maiden's armor/mine disarm trick). It's not the least bit fun.

And you can thank EA for the loss of KotoR 3.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited May 2012
    It's unfortunate, but KOTOR II's themes and ideas are unlikely to be explored again considering Lucasarts have spent the years since its launch trying to bury it as deeply as possible. Hell, if I recall the 'Revan' novel released before the Old Republics launch retconned a bunch of things and killed the Exile in a hilarious display of bitterness.

A similar thing happened in the books too, Matt Stover tried introducing a more complex view of the force in 'Traitor' and that got buried pretty damn quick.

Star Wars does not seem to be a setting in which complexity can survive, so I have little interest in it these days.

Edit: Also, Jume, I assume you played this vanilla for review purposes but if you're still interested in the game check out the Restoration patch, it adds a bunch of cut-content back in and fixes a lot of bugs.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited May 2012
    It's too bad that a Knights of the Old Republic III has yet to be made

It got cancelled in pre-production. Concept art from it was released in the book Rogue Leaders: The Story of LucasArts for us all to mourn for. It was not stated who would have actually worked on it, though.
    It's unfortunate, but KOTOR II's themes and ideas are unlikely to be explored again considering Lucasarts have spent the years since its launch trying to bury it as deeply as possible. Hell, if I recall think the 'Revan' novel released before the Old Republics launch retconned a bunch of things and killed the Exile in a hilarious display of bitterness.

Drew Karpyshn wrote that novel. He also wrote the first game. Cue an entire novel of "OMG Revan is soooo awesome", followed by the Exile (who is now named "Meetra") getting shot by a mook. Revan gets a martyr's death that actually wraps up in SWTOR. Exile can't even get an NPC to reference her in generic looping dialog.

Drew was later the recipient of this treatment when ME3 threw out his entire storyline work for an ending that came out of nowhere and dumped on everything he'd written in the first two games.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    It was not stated who would have actually worked on it, though.

Bioware. Some years back they listed KotoR 3 in their production schedule at E3 or a similar show. This was about a year before EA took over.

It's a real shame internal politics messed up the Exile's storyline. As much as I want to see how Revan's story concludes, the Exile's story helped shaped a much more interesting story-arc in the Star Wars universe and I was eager to see how it would all play out. If it's true they'd rather kill the story arc for more of the same ol' Star Wars we've been seeing for 30 years...well, if they don't care, I don't care.
  • The Gentleman LoserThe Gentleman Loser New Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Bioware seems to be more focused on the action side of things these days then on the RPG side. ME3 is barely a RPG, its more like a on rails third person shooter with a basic leveling system. It got really boring for me after the first few levels, the combat got boring for me.
    edited May 2012
    Anyone that plays Mass Effect 2 or 3 and thinks they're "shooters" clearly doesn't play shooters.

Shooting combat mechanic != Third Person Shooter
  • ZylvynZylvyn New Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Rebochan wrote: »
    Anyone that plays Mass Effect 2 or 3 and thinks they're "shooters" clearly doesn't play shooters.

Shooting combat mechanic != Third Person Shooter

Isn't a shooter simply a game that revolves, primarily, around shooting people?

Why isn't it a third person shooter with basic RPG elements?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Scott WachterScott Wachter Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    guys, get on topic or at least well away form the 'definition of the rpg debate'.

if it helps start listing your favourite HK47 quotes.
    edited May 2012
    Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited May 2012
    I liked kotor2 more than kotor1.

I liked the darker story, and the characters were cooler. I liked being able to convert "hand maiden" or whatever her name was, into a love interest and Jedi, and then having her start using her real name. Scion was retarded, but Nihilus, Kreia, and the crazy Jedi (Atris or something like that) were boss.

All around a great game I think.

I played a trial for the old republic and really liked it, but not enough to pay monthly for. They should just make it Buy to play with no fee, and release some console versions. I bet i'd sell really well on consoles.
    sup?