If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Shin Megami Tensei 4 coming to 3DS

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited May 2012 in Role Playing Games
More details expected tomorrow, but for now Andriasang has a link to the soon-to-be-official site.
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    @amneufeld
    SMT4 3DS?! BRB need towel, fapping hard.

@FinalMacstorm
    @amneufeld With news like this, you can ditch the towel...just this once.

*runs around towel-less!*
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited May 2012
    I was kind of getting use to the idea of Strange Journey being the unofficial SMT IV. I'll certainly be looking forward to this.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2012
    CURSE YOU ATLUS! CURSE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...now I have to get a 3DS sooner rather than later. T_T
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited May 2012
    It's nice to see it back. I will even try not to whine that's another SMT title relegated to a portable.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2012
    Rebochan wrote: »
    It's nice to see it back. I will even try not to whine that's another SMT title relegated to a portable.
    This much is true. Though I know of a few people hoping they choose an ending from Nocturne to be canon. I'd prefer if they left it completely open though, that way we don't know. I prefer guessing on which one is the true ending, which I personally believe to be the Neutral ending, since it follows the Demi-Fiend's set personality before the game began.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for putting it on the region-locked one, Atlus. Strange Journey didn't even get released here.

It's not really surprising that they're making it for handhelds but it's still somewhat disappointing. Half the appeal of Nocturne was the excellent aesthetics, so it would be nice if the sequel, released almost 10 years later, actually looked like a game released almost 10 ****ing years later.
    edited May 2012
    It's disappointing to me because it's yet another big JRPG franchise to abandon consoles in favor of handhelds. I'm already worried that the inevitable Persona 5 is going to be something like a Vita-only release.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited May 2012
    So far Atlus has followed through on all those 3DS games they announced way back in 2010, so it's possible Persona 5 will be for 3DS as well.
    edited May 2012
    Indeed. My only hope is that Catherine was a high-def title, and it would seem a waste to spend all that money on developing an engine and team for those platforms and then only make one game. Catherine sold pretty well too, though if the profit margins on the portables are higher...
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited May 2012
    I can't imagine Persona 5 being a portable only release. That is absolutely Atlus' flagship series now and it would be a huge opportunity missed if they only put it on portables. I suppose that may depend a bit on how Arena sells. Also, we're coming to the end of this console cycle, so surely Atlus will want to finish this one off like they did the PS2.

As for SMT4, I'm not surprised it ended up as a 3DS game but it does surprise me how they continue to make exclusives on both the PSP/Vita and on the 3DS, forcing their fans to get both systems or miss out. I don't have either yet, but this will make me upgrade from my DS sooner that I would have liked.