If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Where were you guys when we played Morrowind in last year's "Year Of..."?
    I'm doing the opposite. I bought Morrowind during the winter Steam Sale (hard to pass up at $5).

It's definitely a no-brainer, but careful: there's a few improvements made in the newer games that aren't present in Morrowind. You'll notice. It will suck. ENDURE! Once you get passed those things, you'll get a game that feels way deeper than Oblivion and Skyrim (although I prefer the newer combat systems). Knowing every penny you make, no matter how much you get, can always be used to produce stronger and crazier spells/enchants (it can easily go into the millions) can really keep you going.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited January 2013
    Rondo of Swords is taking longer than I'd like. I've managed to get it where someone doesn't die before I get near the last boss, but now I'm trying to position Ansom so he can hit the boss with his OB. I have two more tiles to try before I give up on that endeavor. It will take nearly 200 turns (more if he uses that MP restoring item he has) to take down the last boss from the pitiful 3 net MP I can take off of him (Ansom's arrows do more damage, but the boss restores a lot of MP every turn). Ugh.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Playing Dragon Quest IX, Ron and the girls got it for me for Christmas. So enjoying myself with that, but I'm wondering if the stylus is really necessary for this game, seems like I don't really need it.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I thought I had has passed it, but I can't let go. Crusader Kings 2 is doing to me what Europa Universalis 3 did.
    On that note my dynasty is in the 200+ members, though of course not all of them alive. My current Lord married his grandfather's 2nd wife, who's the same age as him. She's had 8 kids thus far, some of said kids have like 12 siblings, crazy I know. Anyways Ireland is completely owned by clan Boru, as is half of wales. Still a few hundred years left to expand into all of the isles.

Oh and Borderlands 2ing on the PC as well, because why not? (Also LoL, but that's to be expected.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Baten Kaitos has a pretty amazing battle system. You have less and less time for it but you also become much much better in seeing very fast which cards to combine. Hardly any other RPG battle system focuses so much on the player improve his own skills rather than leveling his characters. It's a bit like Touhou in that regard.
    The only downside is, if you take a break from the game it's very hard to get into it again because it's directly fast again instead of slowly getting faster.

I played Wizardry I until the final boss. I'm a bit disappointed by the later dungeon gesign. The first 4 floors all required you to explore them to get items and unlock shortcuts, but after that you can basically just take the elevator and go to the final floor. The only reason to explore the other floors is so you have something to do while you need to grind the next 100 hours to be able to defeat the final boss. I don't think I'll kill the final boss is in, I'll just switch directly to Wizardry II.

Also the girl who always complains that I'm whistling video game music is back ringing here and complaining about it, I start to hate her.
    edited January 2013
    Mass Effect 2. Oh, so much better than the original. This is gonna take a while though. Lots of things I need to set-up for ME3.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2013
    Now that Sticker Star is finished, I started up my rental copy of Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time.

Right off the bat, I have to say its kind of laughable how drastically the story's direction seems to change every five minutes. Kinda difficult to build up meaningful characters and story scenarios when you know things are just gonna be completely different next mission, Growlanser. Hopefully the amount of battles start to pick up, because I'm not feeling the plot at all right now. Not to mention I really do enjoy the battles from G2 and G3, and this game appears to be the same. Another striking feature is just how many choices your character has to make. Its enough to make me decide I'm just going to go with what I'd choose naturally, rather than have to follow a guide religiously which is something I hate doing.

Also, I rented Theatrhytm last night and play it for just under an hour. Honestly I'm a little surprised how much I like it given my earlier skepticism toward the idea. Feels like its Elite Beat Agents meets FF. Seriously considering just buying the game outright at this point.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    I've been a bad bad boy

So far I've been playing GS: DD on my DS but instead of playing DQVIII .... I've been playing SRWOGS2 <.<
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • ZeraseZerase Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I've been playing Mother 3. So far it's ok but it doesn't have the same feel as Earthbound did. It's not as "happy" it's kind of gloomy and depressing. I can also see a few likely reasons why it didn't get a stateside release. The Magypsies being one of them. I'll definitely finish it because I am interested to see what exactly is going on and who is behind the chimera animals but so far it's not topping Earthbound.
    Zerase ^_^

Recently Finished: Suikoden II
    Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Final Fantasy V

• NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Having a lot of fun with Darksiders II. Feels more or less like an action rpg to me.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I'm almost finished with my most recent playthrough of SoulSilver. I've been playing it little bit by bit this week to grind my Pokemon for Red (since I can't say this is a good team).

Meanwhile, I got Dead Or Alive Ultimate. I'm about a third through unlocking all of the costumes for DOA1. I know DOA2 will be some sort of nightmare-incarnate, but I'm looking forward to it. It took awhile, but I'm sort of enjoying the basic engine of DOA1. At least it still feels like it has something of a challenge, which felt lacking in DOA3 (previously the oldest one I'd played).
  • PaddybassPaddybass New Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Currently playing this pretty sweet little iPad Action RPG called Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan on the iPad. It's kind of like a cross between Zelda and Bastion, so yeah... It's pretty class. Also dipping in and out of Metal Gear Solid 3 on my Vita from time to time :)

PaddyBass.
    edited January 2013
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited January 2013
    Car Battler Joe is a mixed bag for me. Certainly interesting, but zooming around a whole bunch of landscapes that look the same performing pretty repetitious missions doesn't thrill me. Inventory restrictions aren't fun either - how the hell is my mom, monitoring the damn garage, unable to take items I've placed in there and use them to better the building? Why do I have to do it manually every time?
    Story isn't a make or break quality for me, and that's good because it's pretty scant here. When it does pop up, it's laughable. Maybe the game isn't such a mixed bag after all.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited January 2013
    You can steal glass armor from the merchant in Suran if you're short on gold, or you can just keep the armor.

But where to sell that armor, you ask? Well, here's something you will really want to know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12sFwMbrVLs
  • riskydaysriskydays New Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Playing Tales of Innocence right now....nearing the end and getting kind of bored.
    Would going straight into Graces after this be a mistake if I'm getting burnt out on ToI? The combat system seems way more palatable/awesome in Graces.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2013
    riskydays wrote: »
    Playing Tales of Innocence right now....nearing the end and getting kind of bored.
    Would going straight into Graces after this be a mistake if I'm getting burnt out on ToI? The combat system seems way more palatable/awesome in Graces.

Combat in Graces is fantastic. I wouldn't even compare it to any other Tales game I've sampled.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • The Great OneThe Great One New Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Shenmue I, II, skyrim, BO2
    edited January 2013
    Today I'm trying to figure out if I want to play Dragon Quest 8 or Morrowind.

Well, this month's theme is DQ8, so you should probably play that. Morrowind is one of those games you can play off and on for years and not feel like you missed anything.
    I figure I'll let the TV be hers on her days off, so she doesn't have to sit there and watch me play it. Seems like the right thing to do?

Sounds like you need another TV, heh.
  • Ryan RadcliffRyan Radcliff Caballero The WoodRPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    Back in the Disgaea 4 grind. Trying to get Kurtis and open the LoC. I've acquired all of the tickets, now I just need to get a specific group of pirates to show themselves in the item world and do that treasure, interrogation thing to get some of the other maps and I'm golden.

That said I imagine this takes me a good 20 hours to complete everything needed!
    "Rules do not exist to bind you. They exist so you may know your freedoms."
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    For the past week Iv mainly been playing Torchlight 2, which I picked up during the steam sale, Im a lv 29 berzerker and I'v just got upto the bit with the Djinn, but today iv been playing a new indie game I bought off steam today its a game called 10,000,000, it's sort of played like puzzle quest but instead of switching two symbols you're sliding the rows and columns and the main aim of 10,000,000 is to obtain 10,000,000 points.
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Just ran an almost perfect terror attack mission in XCOM. Lost three civilians one of which hit zombie form after being attacked by a Chryssalid and had to be put down but none of my peeps were touched. Excellents across the board with the cheevo to go with it. I'm so proud of my little dudes and dudettes and feeling like I'm starting to get a handle on this game. Which means I'll probably get smacked down by the RNG tomorrow but whatever, tonight I savor victory.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Predictably, the only game able to break me out of my post Persona 4 funk is New Vegas, so I've been playing that recently. With a character based on the protagonist of Persona 4. I don't know what twist of fate swept him off to the post post-apocalyptic Mojave desert, but he wanders it as a courier searching for his lost friends. Also, this Boone guys social link sure is depressing.

I must be approaching 500 hours on this game by now.
  • FudorahZubatFudorahZubat Monster Lover Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I'm expecting a new copy of Xenogears to arrive today, my old disc 2 unfortunatelly won't read anymore.

Until then I plan to occupy my ind with something sufficiently different from it. Devil May Cry 2 will work.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited January 2013
    smacd wrote: »
    I've been playing Chaos Rings (android version) for the past week, along with playing FF4 gba and DS alternately keeping at the same point in each.

I recently finished Wild Arms 2, and was disappointed in how my memory of the game was vastly different from what I experienced this time through. I think what annoyed me the most was the references to the "Kuiper Belt", which is a real thing, being so vastly different in the game. The name doesn't even make sense as a description.

Next up I'm planning to give Resonance of Fate another shot. Tried it out and mid-way through the first battle I had turned it off and not come back. But now I'm thinking about giving it the ol' college try.

Resonance of Fate is a game that I really wanted to love, and in some ways I still do. I love the way it looks, the setting is great, the combat is fun, and you can play dress up, but ultimately I could only play it for so long before I got bored with it. I think I made it to Chapter 6 or 7 before I put it on the shelf. I do intend on getting back to it someday, but too many other games in the way right now.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2013
    RoF really seems to be a love it or hate it RPG. Personally I fall into the category of disliking it, but like Sticker Star for some reason I did end up finishing the thing. Masochism at work, I guess. Be ready for a long haul with RoF, because I recall it taking me around 50 or 60 hours to beat. The last boss is also especially difficult if you don't spend time pumping your characters up at the end.

Anyway, I started up my rental copy of Kingdom Hearts 3DS. Not that far in it, because I got overloaded with all the tutorials. If it keeps on teaching me something new every couple of minutes, I think I'm just going to return it, because I don't have the patience for something I'm not enjoying after playing through Sticker Star earlier this month. Because of this, I played some more Naruto Generations Online yesterday. I'd like to keep my skills sharp for the release of Storm 3 in March, which looks like it will share many features in common with Generations. Went undefeated in Ranked with my signature Ino team, and messed around with some random teams in Player Matches. Asked my friend to play again, but he seems uninterested which is a shame.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Still pouring hours into Crusader Kings 2 (Damn you Republic DLC) and Borderlands 2 (no where near as much as CK2.

Oh and some Harvest Moon Tale of Two Towns, whenever I get some time and don't want to stare at the pc screen. (On that, I bought HM: whatever the title that has Bazaar in it, but I have to wait till my friend sends it to me from the US, ya know, because of Amazon and such).

Edit: Ni No soon, sooooooooon
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • FudorahZubatFudorahZubat Monster Lover Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Eternal Sonata is on my menu today. :D

And more DMC2. I don 't know why. I could play every other game in the series but I keep coming back to this one. I may need an intervention.
    edited January 2013
    And more DMC2. I don 't know why.

I don't know why either. Are you sure you're not confusing the "2" for a "3" or perhaps no number at all? Because that I can understand.