If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ad Complaint

MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar CapturedFull Members
edited July 2003 in Site & Forum Support
I have a complaint about a new ad that recently showed up. ?It's an ad for the new Arc the Lad game. ?Everytime I try to visit a section of the site this nuisance halts my browser. ?It is a pain in the ass.
LordBilbanes.png
Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business

Comments

• Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ June 20 2003,17:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Everytime I try to visit a section of the site this nuisance halts my browser.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I've only seen it once when I was entering the forums, but nowhere else on the site, yet anyway. Did you mean the main site sections or forum sections? confused.gif
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I was referring to the main site. ?Whenever I would try to enter another section, that pain in the ass would halt my browser. ?Until it's gone, I will be avoiding the main site. ?I will navigate to the other sections from the boards.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Options
    edited June 2003
    I've seen it 3 times now, quite upsetting. Run a banner like everyone else. I click on banners all the time on site's that I visit daily.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    You seem to be implying that they don't run banner ads...
  • MithrandirMithrandir Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I agree. I actually stopped to watch the ad the first time, but since then, I skip it. Being on dial-up, this is more of a probelem than it should be. It might even be less annoying as a pop-up, that way we could zap it the heck off our monitor before it really even has a chance to load. That would make navigation a bit quicker for us dial-up people, I think.
  • JessperkJessperk Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I've only seen it once, but even then, it completely froze my browser. Quite annoying, but hey, gotta pay the bills.

*clicks on a few banners*
  • yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I personally think it's wonderful that this site is attracting advertisers. I would think it would be an honor to have the site being sponsored in part by Sony, Namco, etc.

It shows to me that people take the site seriously. I could use this to bash other sites, but nah...I'm having a good day.
  • Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, it's nice that RPGamer is getting more ads now, but it's not nice that they're interfering with people's browsers. As for me, the countdown thing slows my computer down horribly. Combine that with a mouse trying to die, and it's very hard to move while on this site.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Would be better though if it was less obtrusive. Which I'd guess is Moncapitain's point. Advertisements are all well and good but when they start making the site difficult to navigate, then there's a problem.
  • valetine_4_evervaletine_4_ever Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    annoying as yuffie! (that's very annoying)
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2003
    What's worse:

An ad with a finite finish date...
    Or having to pay to read the site? Or watching us whine for money?

Personally, although I too find the ad annoying (I haven't had it crash Phoenix yet), I know they serve to cover our running costs. Bear with it for a bit; it's this kinda stuff that helps up keep running wink.gif
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I don't see how it crashes browsers, since I have tested it with Mozilla FireBird, Internet Explorer, and AOL's Netscape.

RPGamer is going to run specific campaigns. I know many sites run these transition ads every single day. We took a very special and gaming-related campaign because we know what our audience is interested in. We could join the ranks and run them all the time, but we value our readers' opinions and concerns.

Without these special campaigns, we would not make enough off the banners to pay for the continued bandwwidth month after month. Many other sites have asked their readers for money, or closing down parts of the site, instead of working it out themselves. If you would prefer this method, now's your chance to express your opinion.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" If you would prefer this method, now's your chance to express your opinion.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

*Backs away slowly*

But seriously, since my last post Ive seen it like 5 or 6 more times, and nothing has happened, both on monzilla and IE. Id rather have the browser slowing Ads scratch up some scratch any day. And in the end if it came down to it, I would probably donate some spare cash, (if they really needed it)

• MirkMirk Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    The add doesn't really bother me...i've seen it 2 or 3 times going to the q&a section. I understand it's nesscessary
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I'll gladly take an "annoying" ad as a tradeoff for a fast loading and a donation-begging-free site. Kudos for keeping a great site free to its readers!
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I don't mind at all. It's small sacrifice to keep this site free. I just wished the ads loaded faster. smile.gif
  • valetine_4_evervaletine_4_ever Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't mind at all. ?It's small sacrifice to keep this site free.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You know what, it's not so annoying when it's keeping this site free.

• MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Frankly, in some cases I don't mind how many ads I have to fight my way through to get into this site. biggrin.gif
    edited June 2003
    I'll ask for one thing:

Can you add a link to the ad at the bottom so when it finishes we can continue on to where we were going? It tends to hit me right when I get onto the site, which tends to mean I can't backspace out without having to re-enter the site in it's entirety.

Dracos
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ June 27 2003,16:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'll ask for one thing:

Can you add a link to the ad at the bottom so when it finishes we can continue on to where we were going? ?It tends to hit me right when I get onto the site, which tends to mean I can't backspace out without having to re-enter the site in it's entirety.

Dracos[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Click on the "skip this ad" link. ?That should do it for you. ?Clicking on that link will take you to wherever you were going.
    LordBilbanes.png
    edited June 2003
    I meant more, as I occassionally am a hasty clicker, I click the 'see this ad later' (which plays it now), and that generally pauses at the end and just stalls, requiring going back. ?It would be nice (And I'd probably just watch it more as it only takes a few secs) if after being done it would provide a continue on link or something ^^;.

EDIT: Thanks though for trying ^^

Dracos

• FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited June 2003
    We don't directly control the ad, and by the time we got in a change to it, the campaign will be over. I don't think it runs much longer, but I'm not entirely sure. Hopefully Fox knows.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I have a question that quite opposite of this:

I d/l'ed ad-aware removed any "spy-ware" I had. Well now ad with say "cannot find server" leaving them harmless you'd think. Because of this I cannot play many internet games!! I used to play chess at Pogo but now I can't; on msn when i try to play JO it is quite time consuming to connect. They have implemented a program that keeps you from entering a lobby until the page is fully loaded...it cant fully load b/c I have somehow blocked it. I have to reconnet to the site several times to finally join.

I believe some ads have been blocked from here as well...thank goodness I can still post.

If you could help it'd be greatly appreciated.
  • Lassarina AoibhellLassarina Aoibhell Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    You know people, there's a relatively simple solution to this problem. LET THE DAMN AD LOAD! This is really not rocket science, kids. =p (And yes, I know I expressed gripes previously in another thread--but those were related to ads not RPG-relevant....)