If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

How will Star Wars: Battlefront be messed up?

JormungandJormungand MemberFull Members
edited June 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
Years ago, I posted about the long, confused, and ultimately doomed fate of Star Wars Battlefront III once in development by the now-defunct Free Radical Design. Its failure was a mostly one-sided affair, as LucasArts pulled funding at the last minute and effectively destroyed both a much-anticipated third entry in the series and caused Free Radical to close shop. Fortunately, FRD and much of its staff were rescued by Crytek. Unfortunately, Battlefront 3 was lost presumably forever.

We have been clamoring for news for many years. This showed up today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1r-Tzz1rxs

So, this kind of thing doesn't really happen. Fans don't get want they want, in this fashion, on this scale, after literally years of waiting. So I don't really have a precedent to look at, nothing to model how I'm supposed to react.

I mean, if Crytek UK, formerly FRD, were doing the game (again...), my reaction would be simple: I'll buy two. But it isn't Crytek UK. It's DICE.

I don't have anything against DICE. I played Battlefield 3 and was basically unimpressed by it. Then again, FPS isn't really my favorite genre. Which brings me to the point of this post.

SW Battlefront has a very simple design. Two large factions continually respawn troops while a troop counter dwindles until one side is entirely eradicated. There are other game modes, but what I just described is the meat of both console Battlefront titles. It's basic, and it's brilliant. No other games play like this. And the thing is, if this next-gen Battlefront doesn't copy the formula, it won't be Battlefront. What am I really trying to say? That I'm afraid this new "Battlefront" game will be a First-Person Shooter.

However, I have some reasons to be hopeful. DICE, the developer, actually originated the formula upon which Battlefront was built. The 2002 PC title Battlefield 1942's "conquest" mode played very similarly to Battlefront, and so I have to imagine it shouldn't be a problem for DICE to keep the magic happening. Yet still I worry.

Battlefront is, at heart, a third-person shooter. There is an "FPS" view, but the game isn't designed around it. I worry that EA--and by extension, DICE--will push development of the game to center around FPS style gameplay, hoping to reel in that particular audience. Furthermore, if SWB is solely designed as an FPS, then why not go the distance and remove the "conquest" gameplay of the original games altogether? In other words, I fear SWB will simply become Battlefield/Modern Warfare with a coat of Star Wars paint. Not worthy of a purchase, for certain.

The best possible scenario is that Battlefront stays true to the formula, obviously, and that DICE is able to expand upon and improve the experience much like what Free Radical Design had been doing. However, DICE has a lot to live up to if the now-ubiquitous footage of FRD's alpha gameplay of SWBF3 is to be believed. FRD made seamless ground-to-space transitions and had the battle going on in both places simultaneously. Yep, you could shoot up some stormtroopers, hop into an X-Wing, fly out of the atmosphere, take out some TIE fighters, land inside a capital ship, cause some havoc, steal the enemy craft, and fly back down to the surface of the planet to rejoin the ground battle. All in real-time.

Can you do that, DICE?

I want my fears to be irrational. I want to believe the best scenario will play out. It's the Fox Mulder in me. Discuss.

Comments

• MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Well, published by EA, I can guarantee it'll be microtransactioned up the rear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    It''l probably be a generic battlefield clone with none of the soul of the previous games in the series
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Damn, you guys are pessimistic. There is nothing about this franchise EA can mess-up: it's multiplayer centric, it's got shooting, vehicles, mechs, and jedi knights all beating the crap out of eachother on one battlefield. Outside of leveling and buying weapons a la ME3's multiplayer, I don't see what else they could possibly add that would seriously mess up the formula. Well, check that: if they try to release it alongside the new movies so they can incorporate some of the new stuff, but settings-wise that's not such a bad thing and the new movies are still a ways off.

And it's not like Battlefront wasn't a megahit before, so they've got no real reason to copy too many elements from Battlefield. This game falls directly into EA's wheelhouse, so I think it's fair to be more hopeful than afraid.

The thread's title is so negative. Can a mod change it to just "Battlefront" or something?
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    ...it's multiplayer centric,
    I played BF1 & 2 almost exclusively single-player. I only played multi-player with a friend on the same console. I never played them online.
    edited June 2013
    That's nice. It was still designed to be a multiplayer centric game.
    edited June 2013
    Blarg. Looks like DICE wants to do Battlefront their way. They're even changing the title a bit to suggest it's different:
    Soderlund also added that the upcoming Star Wars: Battlefront would be DICE's "interpretation" of the series.

"This is DICE's interpretation of what Battlefront should be," he said. "That's the best description you can have. There are absolutely things in the previous Battlefront games that you'll recognise and remember, but DICE wants to put its own flavour on it. That's the only way we can do it. Hence it's called Star Wars: Battlefront, without a 3 at the end. We want to say it's something new."

Well, I didn't think they needed to do that, but this sort of thing has become so common it's becoming difficult to care.