If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Worst RPG

RuinRuin MemberFull Members
edited September 2002 in Role Playing Games
... What is the worst RPG you've played thus far? For me, it was Chrono Cross.

Its plot was poorly paced, confusing, and severely lacked graphical representation, which led to incohesiveness. Also, the characters weren't developed well and there were too many which contributed very little to the plot. The music was under-whelming, in my opinion, nothing really memorable... The Celtic stylings of Mitsuda didn't mesh well with the tropical setting of Chrono Cross... And the element allocating was tedious at times.

Well, that's it for me, what about everyone else? What was the worst RPG you've had the misfortune of playing?

Comments

• MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    I really want to say Chrono Cross... but I think the worst I've played is Pokemon, with CC following as a close 2nd.
  • RuinRuin Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Pokemon doesn't really count. I was referring to RPG's that try to present actual plots. And please, state the reasons you feel that an RPG was the worst you've played.

• Darth_yogiDarth_yogi Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    *grabs small trumpet and tootles: dan da da daaaa!*
    baldurs gate-awful controls, awful fighting, hideous storyline.. and it didnt seem to make any sense whatsoever.. it was awful... plus it took up two gb on your hard drive.. AGH! wow.gif
  • poke32poke32 Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    i didnt enjoy ff8 too much but i dont think i hated it but i do hate baulders gate and arcanum
  • netgrlxnetgrlx Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Beyond the Beyond: ?Battle system that made you want to make gashes in yourself with the game CD, graphics that would have been poor on a Genesis, puzzles that were infuriating.... need I go on? ?If you ever find it at $5 or below, you might want to pick it up just to be able to say that you played the first PSX RPG... but you might end up finding other uses for the game discs (throwing stars, drink mats, etc)

I didn't really enjoy Crono Cross either... but I had just finished FFX so that may have affected my judgement... I didn't like the graphics all that well and the combat system just annoyed me.

(Edit)
    Add Koudelka to that list... the combat engine made an otherwise quick fight into a long drawn out ordeal.

• MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Pokemon doesn't count because it doesn't try to present a real plot? ?Well, neither does Chrono Cross, but I guess CC counts if you say so, so here's why I hate it...

Plot - AKA "Plot" (notice the quotes). ?Really, this is one of the worst excuses for a plot I've ever seen. ?For most of Disk 1, all you know is "Well, there's this nifty thing called the 'Frozen Flame'. ?I have no idea what it does, but my characters want it for some reason, and they're trying to get it away from some half-human/half cat called 'Lynx'." ?That's pretty much all the main plot there is. ?The game focuses more on the relatively uninteresting subplots involving the "Acacia Dragoons" and other stuff, but even these suffer from the poor explanation that pervades that main plot and are difficult to understand. ?I suffered through Disk 1 with the expectation that Disk 2 would be better, and after reaching it everything would be somehow explained. ?That, sadly, was not the case. ?Disk 2 definately provided more plot (though that's not saying much), but the plot was still "explained" through cool-sounding yet incomprehensible babbling rather than dramatic exposition, turning the whole thing into a paradox-packed, muddled mess. ?Also, the plot sometimes seems like a "moron's Xenogears". ?In Xenogears, there were good, deep reasons for "<span class="spoiler">destroying your creator</span>". ?In Chrono Cross, the battle against the FATE computer (which you only learn about 10 minutes before you fight it) seemed stuck in for no explained reason other than to show off high-res textures and stuff.

Characters - AKA "Characters" (notice the quotes). ?CC features over 40 playable characters. ?This may seem cool at first glance, but it brings up some serious problems. ?First of all, most of the characters each have only about 5 text boxes scripted for them. ?What about all the other stuff they have to say, you ask? ?For most of the in-game scenes, the script simply has text for "party character 2" or "party character 3", and the game only algorythimically changes the text into the accent of the character who happens to be in that slot. ?In effect, this means that the characters substitute accents for personality. ?It means that the characters cannot have distinct views about the world, since most of the scripted text has to be something that ANY of the game's characters, from cyborg to puppy, would possibly say at that time. ?If characters 2 and 3 argue at one point, each character could take either side of the argument, depending on which characters the player uses and which slots they put them in. ?This system "detaches" the characters from the plot, making the plot move along through Serge's and the antagonists' actions rather than those of any of the supporting characters. ?For me, this made it impossible for me to connect to any of the characters.

Hmm... I'm getting tired. ?I'm sure there are more problems with this game, but I think I'll stop for now. ?And remember, this is 100% opinion.

• RuinRuin Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Metacod @ Aug. 12 2002,13:44)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Pokemon doesn't count because it doesn't try to present a real plot? ?Well, neither does Chrono Cross, but I guess CC counts if you say so, so here's why I hate it...

Plot - AKA "Plot" (notice the quotes). ?Really, this is one of the worst excuses for a plot I've ever seen. ?For most of Disk 1, all you know is "Well, there's this nifty thing called the 'Frozen Flame'. ?I have no idea what it does, but my characters want it for some reason, and they're trying to get it away from some half-human/half cat called 'Lynx'." ?That's pretty much all the main plot there is. ?The game focuses more on the relatively uninteresting subplots involving the "Acacia Dragoons" and other stuff, but even these suffer from the poor explanation that pervades that main plot and are difficult to understand. ?I suffered through Disk 1 with the expectation that Disk 2 would be better, and after reaching it everything would be somehow explained. ?That, sadly, was not the case. ?Disk 2 definately provided more plot (though that's not saying much), but the plot was still "explained" through cool-sounding yet incomprehensible babbling rather than dramatic exposition, turning the whole thing into a paradox-packed, muddled mess. ?Also, the plot sometimes seems like a "moron's Xenogears". ?In Xenogears, there were good, deep reasons for "<span class="spoiler">destroying your creator</span>". ?In Chrono Cross, the battle against the FATE computer (which you only learn about 10 minutes before you fight it) seemed stuck in for no explained reason other than to show off high-res textures and stuff.

Characters - AKA "Characters" (notice the quotes). ?CC features over 40 playable characters. ?This may seem cool at first glance, but it brings up some serious problems. ?First of all, most of the characters each have only about 5 text boxes scripted for them. ?What about all the other stuff they have to say, you ask? ?For most of the in-game scenes, the script simply has text for "party character 2" or "party character 3", and the game only algorythimically changes the text into the accent of the character who happens to be in that slot. ?In effect, this means that the characters substitute accents for personality. ?It means that the characters cannot have distinct views about the world, since most of the scripted text has to be something that ANY of the game's characters, from cyborg to puppy, would possibly say at that time. ?If characters 2 and 3 argue at one point, each character could take either side of the argument, depending on which characters the player uses and which slots they put them in. ?This system "detaches" the characters from the plot, making the plot move along through Serge's and the antagonists' actions rather than those of any of the supporting characters. ?For me, this made it impossible for me to connect to any of the characters.

Hmm... I'm getting tired. ?I'm sure there are more problems with this game, but I think I'll stop for now. ?And remember, this is 100% opinion.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    NIICE!! biggrin.gif
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    The Might and Magic series is gross to me. I can't stand the battle cause I get nausious from their 3-d environment. Other 3-d games are just fine with me, but their 3-d makes me very dizzy and nausious. what about Digimon world? Yuck, I hate that game. I heard the first 2 was good from my friends at school so I decided to give Digimon world 3 a try and Yuck! Their town, and outside world is so confusing. The battle is ugly. The battle graphics is pukeable. The digimons are almost almost non customizable. Umm, I guess that's it.
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    Chrono Cross is certainly not the best, but it still left a long and swell impression on me. It felt laughably incomplete, but I liked it overrall.

Worst RPG? Who's had the pleasure to play Quest 64? This game was portrayed by the developers to be an adventure that would garner interest from all ages and would give the player the opportunity to interact with many characters before the game's release. Unfortunately, Quest 64 dealt a game that would be fun for all ages who's never played an RPG and interact with many NPCs with names. Plus, the Irish themed soundtrack wasn't too pleasing to the ear, the whole game lacked shops, and the battle system while trying to be unique was oh so repetitive and boring.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest comes a close second.
  • idgamerdidgamerd Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Beyond the Beyond: ?Battle system that made you want to make gashes in yourself with the game CD, graphics that would have been poor on a Genesis, puzzles that were infuriating.... need I go on? ?If you ever find it at $5 or below, you might want to pick it up just to be able to say that you played the first PSX RPG... but you might end up finding other uses for the game discs (throwing stars, drink mats, etc)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>Come on it was the first RPG on PSX and I have to say it wasnt so bad smile.gif</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" i didnt enjoy ff8 too much but i dont think i hated it but i do hate baulders gate and arcanum [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>How come so many people didnt like FF8? I loved it, I even though it was better then FF7.

As for what I didnt like I must probobly say FF9, yea really huge down fall, I thought it was very kiddy. I didnt really like how the characters looked and the whole world didnt look mature to me.
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    I only played through Chrono Cross once, but I thought it was pretty awesome. Plus, I didn't take it too seriously, which helped. The Dead Sea sequence was one of the coolest dungeons ever, and featured one of my favourite tracks from what I'd say is an impressive soundtrack.
    While the characters may just be funny accents with attacks, I thought they were well done.
    The combo attacks could have been better implemented, though -- I still have no idea what even one of them looks like.

One thing I'll say to bash CC, though -- there wasn't any time travel. How can you have a sequel to Chrono Trigger that isn't about time travel? That was a major let-down.

...oh, and FF8 rules.
    ...and Quest 64 does not.
  • BunnieBunnie New Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    As netgrlx mentioned, Beyond the Beyond was horrible, I dont care is it was the 1st PS1 RPG, the game play was horrendous, and what was with the characters? Their reaction to every dialogue was to "shiver". Kinda like the Mystic Quest "shrug", except they just vibrate. THEN there were the Succubus and Lilith type monsters. OH MY GOD when they let out a magic attack, they lift up one leg and let it rip. I was almost offended, but I think it was a mistake in aligning the magic graphix. Really, like netgrlx said, you should at least try it so you can make fun of it.
    But the worst game was Saga Fronteir. The amount of leveling up you have to do isn't worth the amount of storyline you get, and the revolutionary watercolor style graphics (as the reviewer at gamepro described it, the same guy who paned Xenogears) were pretty sucky. I remeber staring at this one robot animation for a long time trying to figure out what kind of motion the animation was trying to convey, still couldn't figure it out, too choppy.
    However, I just gave both of these games to my mom and she finished both of them without any complaints, so I guess I didnt really waste her money;) But if my mom cant stand to finish a game it must be pretty damn bad, so the game that takes the cake of worst game ever must be BoF 4. She never finished it. Why is that mom? "Because the fishing game wasnt as fun as the one in BoF3 dear."
    The End
  • netgrlxnetgrlx Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Quest 64.... I had forgotten about it... that's the one game that made Beyond the Beyond look well... not good, but better. I tried playing that game and gave up after realizing that forcing the controller up my nose would be more entertaining.

Crono Cross... well... I just expected so much more... I wanted to be swept away like I was with Crono Trigger... but I ended up feeling more like a stood up date.
  • gameologistgameologist Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    I would like to say FF8, since I hated it with a passion but I only played about 12hours into it.

-I couldent stand the whole "Not gaining money" but having to pass test to make money
    -The GF's were a joke incredibly strong, can summon whenever you want, and extremely long animation sequences
    -Noware in the game can you search drawers or boxes and find treasure
    -No more MP system, now its just drawing magic that is pointless, since you have GF's that can kill anything in one summon

I did like the card game though. Second place goes to Saga Fronteir 1. That was pathetic
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    Legend of dragoon
    or Jade cacoon
    horrible
  • keele864keele864 Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    I played Quest 64 at a friend's house. It scarred me for life. Especially that cursed battle system.

Actually, I like SaGa Frontier. There are some really sweet attacks, and the game really can change each time you play. For example, each class of magic has two opposing sides, so you have to chose between Time and Space or Light and Dark.

I like FF8 too.

And Chrono Cross, though I played it before CT. Even what I've played of Legend of Dragoon is decent. I must be some kind of pariah of RPG's.
  • pk98pk98 New Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    star ocean for me. the first one..can't remember the sub title...
  • The Chosen OneThe Chosen One Banned Banned Users
    edited August 2002
    Arcanum is a GREAT game........I can't believe some of the games you ppl are ''bashing''.
    My worst is one called Gardians Crusade for psx. Everyone please stay away from this game. Weak story, crap battle system and a general insult to us Rpgers.
    In some games you get random battles, in others you can see the monsters running around. In GC the monsters are seen as what I can only describe as sperms floating around dungeons. tounge.gif
  • PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Jade Cocoon or Ephemeral Phantasia. Those two mounds of slop were the only two RPGs that had me turn off the console in disgust. Luckily I only rented those two. Strangely enough, those are also the only two RPGs I have looked at in the stores and decided I shouldn't buy. Thank you instincts.
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"star ocean for me. ?the first one..can't remember the sub title...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Uhhhh ?sad.gif ?Star ocean,ive only played a small part(up to mount metox) because my patch isn't fully translated but so far im even hooked more then on SO2!

Worst RPG?
    Id have to say grandstream saga.

• ReignReign New Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Beyond the Beyond.

At first, I thought it was hard. But then I realized it wasn't hard - it just sucked. My opinions are the same as the others who've expressed their extreme dislike and discomfort with the game. I traded it in for $10.

SaGa Frontier.

I never figured out exactly what to do in this game. I tried, God help me, I tried. But then I realized I had more important things to do, and the game quickly became another trade-in victim.

Chrono Cross.

I got in to it a little bit, but the gameplay seemed...familiar, unoriginal, uninnovative. That being said, I lost interest.

Beyond the Beyond was the worst of the bunch though.
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    I actually thought Beyond the Beyond was okay, for a first generation PSX rpg at least. Chrono Cross wasn't bad either (but not as good as CT).

I think the biggest disappointment for me was Xenogears. I thought the in-fight graphics were pretty bad, and for the love of jeebus, someone needed to get in there and edit out some of the copy. There was just far, far too much talking to the point where I really just wanted to throw up all over my PSX. The combat system wasn't anything special to me either. To be fair, I only played through half of it, so I'll give it the benefit of a doubt that the second half is mind-blowingly amazing since this game has so many devoted fans.
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Bunnie: "the revolutionary watercolor style graphics (as the reviewer at gamepro described it, the same guy who paned Xenogears) were pretty sucky"
    SaGa Frontier doesn't have pretty watercolor graphics, but SaGa Frontier 2 does. Just so ya' know. Man, Gamepro sucks. Pro-Tip of the day: "Push start at title screen to play game!"

ckd: "and for the love of jeebus, someone needed to get in there and edit out some of the copy. There was just far, far too much talking"
    I imagine something similar was said when they did the original SNES translation of FF4 into FF2. Good ol' censors, where would we be without 'em?
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    Those two guys are the perfect example of graphics whores.
  • FunsizeFunsize Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Secret of Evermore... most dissapointing game ever!
  • Guardian LuciaGuardian Lucia Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (greyscars @ Aug. 16 2002,13:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Those two guys are the perfect example of graphics whores.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You're not Rudy, by any chance, are you?

Anyway, worst for me...I'll have to agree on Secret of Evermore and Ephemeral Fantasia. Thousand Arms wasn't really able to keep my interest, either.
  • FF_Freak_4_LifeFF_Freak_4_Life Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Beyond The Beyond was awful,in my opinion. Time Stalkers for the Dreamcast isn't so hot either. And as for Granstream Saga, in a word.....bad.
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You're not Rudy, by any chance, are you?
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Who's Rudy?
  • mesomeso Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    The Summoner, one of the first PS2 games was so damn dissapointing, I played it with my eyes closed and 2 hands behind my back (I controlled the characters with my nose). So easy.
  • Guardian LuciaGuardian Lucia Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (greyscars @ Aug. 21 2002,23:54)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Who's Rudy?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, I figured out you weren't him after looking at your profile. It's just that you're the only other person I've met besides him who uses the term "graphic whores". Sorry about that.